Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Hm, now that I remember, I do have something of a beef with fanfics where Sonic is characterized as being the typical Idiot Hero (e.g., Goku, Naruto). While I certainly wouldn't want a Genius!Sonic that can solve every problem in the story without fuss (that makes for a pretty boring story, if you ask me), but to characterize him as a total idiot who can barely function properly... eh, I just don't like that, At all.

• Thumbs Up 4

the only level I really fell in love with in Sonic '06 was Kingdom Valley.

It's generic, bland, and something you would expect from a bad mmorpg, but I still love the atmosphere.

Hm, now that I remember, I do have something of a beef with fanfics where Sonic is characterized as being the typical Idiot Hero (e.g., Goku, Naruto). While I certainly wouldn't want a Genius!Sonic that can solve every problem in the story without fuss (that makes for a pretty boring story, if you ask me), but to characterize him as a total idiot who can barely function properly... eh, I just don't like that, At all.

YES. Definitely.

He may not be omnidisciplinary, but he's actually very clever and often pragmatic. It also annoys me when Sonic is turned into a monster in order to pander to other pairings involving Amy.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wave Ocean - Emerald Coast: is to Emerald Coast what Splash Hill is to Green Hill.

Dusty Desert - Any Pyramid/Desert stage in SA2: Quicksand, and a pyramid stage.

White Acropolis - Ice Cap: Both are snow themed and have a snowboard section.

Crisis City - Speed Highway/City Escape with fire monsters.

Flame Core - Red Mountain: Outside volcano, then inside volcano.

Radical Train - Sky Rail: Both are set in a canyon region.

Tropical Jungle - Green Forest and Mystic Ruins: Sonic's version is a jungle, Rouge/Silver's version has temple like ruins.

Kingdom Valley - Lost World: Except the ruins are castle themed.

Aquatic Ruin - Final Egg and The ARK: Both are final Eggman bases, and it was also a big futuristic science lab where the evil clone character is created.

You're really taking this too far. Wave Ocean is a blatant clone of Emerald Coast (too much so to be a mere homage), but you're saying Aquatic Base is unoriginal when compared to The Ark and Final Egg? And that Flame Core = Red Mountain? They're both volcano stages sure, but with plenty to set them apart from each other.

And Crisis City = City Escape/Speed Highway... sorry, but this is pathetically grasping at straws. Because by your logic...

Chemical Plant = Starlight with water

Stardust Speedway = Starlight with Time Travel

Carnival Night = Starlight in carnival season

Speed Highway = Starlight in blue

Radical Highway = Starlight in red

City Escape = Starlight in day

Grand Metropolis = Starlight with moving floors

Westopolis = Starlight blown up

Crisis City = Starlight on fire

Windmill Island = Greek Starlight

Rooftop Run = Italian Starlight

Skyscraper Scamper = American Starlight

Arid Sands = Jordanian Starlight

There's a lot of variety within similar tropes, you know. If anything, at least take into account the stages appearances. Radical Train = Red Mountain. They even share textures, but still look wholly different.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 8

Boy, that's a whole lotta Starlight zones. :lol:

I'm a fan of goofy characters, but not stupid ones. Kinda why I like characters like Eggman, Kefka Palazo, and the Joker, goofy as all hell but dangerous as FUCK!

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not that I have a problem with re using stage tropes, it's the notion that no other Sonic game had these sort of levels. These go all the way back to the first game.

EDIT: Eh, fuck it. After thinking for a while, I guess Wave Ocean is really the only rip off. 06 does things to people, man...

Edited by Briraka

Stardust Speedway = Starlight with Time Travel

Well, most of Sonic CD's levels are meant to be more surreal versions of Sonic 1 levels:

Palmtree Panic - Green Hill

Collision Chaos - Spring Yard

Tidal Tempest - Labyrinth

Quartz Quadrant - Marble(?)

Wacky Workbench - ...OK, this one's pretty original.

Stardust Speedway - Star Light, as you said.

Metallic Madness - Scrap Brain

Also, the planned Final Fever zone in the remake would have likely been a counterpart to Final Zone.

CD is visually like S1 on steroids for the most part, yeah. But aside from PTP and TT, I'd say they still separate themselves enough from the source material.

Ugh, this wouldn't be as bad, if fanfics didn't portray him as dumber than Goku. Then again, that's usually done to make another character looks smarter by comparison.

THIS. Just THIS.

Sonic has shown on numerous occasions that he's actually pretty resourceful and quick on the uptake. There's nothing to indicate that he's an incompetent idiot. Yeah he leaps before he looks on occasion and certainly isn't massively intelligent (He's got Tails for brains :P) but he's far from stupid.

I think some of it stems from SatAM's portrayal of Sonic as a dumbass who 9 times out of 10, has to have his ass pulled out of the fire by Sally. Game Sonic's intelligence and wit far outdoes SatAM Sonic's.

Just as long as it isn't taken in the other direction ala that particular arc of Sonic X.

I guess you're on about the Eggmoon Arc? If so, I quite agree. Episodes 40 and 41 had the grandaddy of all Idiot Plots in the way that it makes everyone else forget the very basics of atronomy so it's depiction of Sonic as being more intelligent than everyone else was completely unbelievable and contrived.

Oh this subject, it kuind of annoys me when SEGA treat Knuckles like a class-A idiot. He's an expert on all things history, which included reading ancient texts. His serious downfall is supposed to be that he's gullible, naive and short-fused. I laughed in Battle when he went into a rage and started attacking Emerl before Sonic got a chance to say anything, but in '06 he's nothing short of a moron. Can't catch, slow to get jokes and always goes the wrong way.

... what did he even add to that game?

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh this subject, it kuind of annoys me when SEGA treat Knuckles like a class-A idiot. He's an expert on all things history, which included reading ancient texts. His serious downfall is supposed to be that he's gullible, naive and short-fused. I laughed in Battle when he went into a rage and started attacking Emerl before Sonic got a chance to say anything, but in '06 he's nothing short of a moron. Can't catch, slow to get jokes and always goes the wrong way.

Oh, that. What the fuck happened to Knuckles? Starting off as one of Sonic's biggest rivals, to being a complete fucking joke. He's the most derailed character and feels like a completely different character nowadays. It's even offensive.
  • Thumbs Up 3

...Actually that reminds me of something.

It kind of irks me when people say Knuckles was "Sonic's first rival, Sonic's best rival" etc.

I never really saw it much. Hell, in S3&K the only reason he stopped Sonic at every chance and got in his way all the time was because he was tricked by Eggman by the time the game started. (....At least that's how I thought it happened?)

And even then, once Eggman showed his true colors he was pretty quick to side with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hey, I never said "greatest rival", I said "a great rival". Although this moves us to another point: remember how in Adventure, Knuckles is still not-quite-friends with Sonic, but in Heroes he jumps right to "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP"? There is no middle. It's like they simply skip a part of his character completely.

Granted, this could be due to Heroes' writing, but the problem is he stays that way.

I don't think there is anything quite wrong with Knuckles acting more friendly to Sonic and Tails...

They are the first people he's ever met and since then his life has gotten a lot more lively. In a way I could see why he could act a bit more friendly to Sonic because of that.

The problem is they let the rest of his character fall through by 06 and then everything sort of just crumbled for him from there.

Sorry for the bad wording, I'll rephrase: The problem isn't that he's more friendly, but that he skips a big step in character development. I'd be okay if there was 1 game between Heroes and SA2 where he was a friend but not too much a friend, then a big friend in Heroes. But right now he just skips that.

Edited by Homem

Sorry for the bad wording, I'll rephrase: The problem isn't that he's more friendly, but that he skips a big step in character development. I'd be okay if there was 1 game between Heroes and SA2 where he was a friend but not too much a friend, then a big friend in Heroes. But right now he just skips that.

The Advance games.

• Thumbs Up 5

Although this moves us to another point: remember how in Adventure, Knuckles is still not-quite-friends with Sonic, but in Heroes he jumps right to "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP"? There is no middle. It's like they simply skip a part of his character completely.
SA2 was the middle.

S3&K: Knuckles is tricked into thinking Sonic is an enemy. They end up working together once Eggman reveals his true nature, though.

SA: Knuckles is still a bit wary of Sonic, especially since the Master Emerald being shattered has him on edge. It only takes a little push for him to jump to conclusions and start a fight.

SA2: At this point there's really no hesitation towards working together, when their goals align. Sonic rags on him a bit, but he still trusts Knuckles enough to ask him to help Tails and Amy.

Heroes: Now they're bros.

• Thumbs Up 4

SA2 was the middle.

S3&K: Knuckles is tricked into thinking Sonic is an enemy. They end up working together once Eggman reveals his true nature, though.

SA: Knuckles is still a bit wary of Sonic, especially since the Master Emerald being shattered has him on edge. It only takes a little push for him to jump to conclusions and start a fight.

SA2: At this point there's really no hesitation towards working together, when their goals align. Sonic rags on him a bit, but he still trusts Knuckles enough to ask him to help Tails and Amy.

Heroes: Now they're bros.

I actually thought of this a few days ago, yeah if you look at Sonic 3-Sonic heroes, it can be shown as a development of their friendship; From bitter rivals, to uneasy allies, to steady friends, and finally "Vitriolic Best Buds". Wow, that is surprisingly deep and it makes Knuckles` character derailment even more annoying.

What's even more annoying than the Character Derailment itself is that there's no justification for it, because it's pretty clear Sega are intentionally doing this to make Knuckles look way more incompetent than he actually is. I mean what have they gained out of this? All they've succeeded in doing is shitting on one of their long standing and popular characters, and give a massive middle finger to all of his fans. He's not even Sonic's Dumb Muscle anymore, that implies he actually does something relevant, he's just there nowadays to make everyone else look better, and it's fucking annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of Sonic fanfiction, Am I the only one who finds it annoying how many have Sonic call Amy "Ames" and have Amy call Sonic "Sonikku"? It's OoC for Sonic to refer to Amy by a pet name because he's not that close to her whilst if the fic is in the English language, "Sonic" is his name, not "Sonikku".

It's uniquely irritating laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Last time I read a Sonic fan fic was 2005, and while it did do the latter the story was a parody.

So, yes.

tongue.png

Edited by Tornado