Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I always preffered the 'side-mouth-speaking', makes the game feel moar cartoon-ish.

Sonic has to do his trade mark grin, and that only looks normal coming from the side of his mouth. And it'd be wierd if his mouth suddenly was shifting around from front and center to tilted to the side as he shifted from normal speech to trademark grin.

Super_Smash_Bros_Sonic_01.jpg

People who keep forgetting Sonic is still a platformer.

I sometimes here they want a Sonic game where you can just run forever and not have to jump ever.

Or this one guy who said he hated Generations because he had to jump on the platforms.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm pretty sure that guy's either a troll, or an idiot.

• Thumbs Up 2

People who keep forgetting Sonic is still a platformer.

I sometimes here they want a Sonic game where you can just run forever and not have to jump ever.

Or this one guy who said he hated Generations because he had to jump on the platforms.

Did he happen to add anything about how the game should have speed boosters on every inch of the ground, and how wall-jumping should be replaced with springs, and how the game should give you a life for every ring you collect?

P.S. None of this happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being his thought process.

The positioning of it can really change how a characters personality is portrayed.
I don't disagree that the placement of the mouth changes the expression, but that's kind of the point. It's a smirk, and Sonic is the kind of character to smirk, but having his face locked in a perma-smirk makes any other expression look awkward.

And it'd be wierd if his mouth suddenly was shifting around from front and center to tilted to the side as he shifted from normal speech to trademark grin.
And having his mouth permanently sprouting from the side of his face isn't weird? When you smirk like that, your mouth pulls to the side. Not as extreme as Sonic's, but that's where being a cartoon comes in.

I'm pretty sure that guy's either a troll, or an idiot.
Looks like just a fan of the modern gameplay to me. heh heh
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't disagree that the placement of the mouth changes the expression, but that's kind of the point. It's a smirk, and Sonic is the kind of character to smirk, but having his face locked in a perma-smirk makes any other expression look awkward.

I dunno. It doesn't always translate as a smirk just because it's on the side. Most of the time it just looks like a genuine smile, and only become a smirk when his eyes add to it.

sonic-colours-cutscene.png

You know, I'm 100% sure you and I have had this exact discussion before, right down to the pictures I'm using.

I dunno. It doesn't always translate as a smirk just because it's on the side. Most of the time it just looks like a genuine smile, and only become a smirk when his eyes add to it.
The eyes are part of it, but the position of the mouth matters too. I mean,
he doesn't go full sidemouth, but that pull to the side is important. Or
a smile that basically launched a ship. And you can't really get that when his mouth is already escaping to the side. SA2's actually pretty good with this; they only pull out the big side-mouth smirk when Sonic's really getting cocky.

You know, I'm 100% sure you and I have had this exact discussion before, right down to the pictures I'm using.
Yeah, probably.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Made this a while ago-

sonicmouthvariety.png

Top L-R: Generations centred, Unleashed centred, Generations

Bottom L-R: No mouth, Unleashed, Perfection

But that grin looks hideous...

People who use the term re-color

'cause hedgehogs being the same species can so look different from each other.

Unless you live on Sonic's earth it's pretty easy to tell who's Sonic, Silver, Shadow and Amy.

Edited by NISA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know it's on the same level as complaining about green eyes and potbellies, but it bothers me to no end whenever Sonic's arms are accidentally colored blue. AAUUUGHHHH this bothers me SO MUCH. WHY???

25556_114876638525812_6485639_n.jpg

I know it pretty much only happens in animation and not really in the games, but still. I can't help but cringe.

• Thumbs Up 7

They could.

To be fair, I think Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and Amy have enough differences to not be considered recolors.

In fact that goes into another peeve of mine; Why is it that people accuse Shadow & Silver of being recolors? Their quills are a completely different shape, in Shadow's case, eyes are more angular. They have different accessories. And that's not even getting into the color scheme. The only thing they share is the same body structure, and that can be said about half of the cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

In fact that goes into another peeve of mine; Why is it that people accuse Shadow & Silver of being recolors?

Because they're looking for excuses to justify them hating the character. Although Shadow quills are pretty much the same as Super Sonic's.

Of course, that doesn't go into the various other details of the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because they're looking for excuses to justify them hating the character. Although Shadow quills are pretty much the same as Super Sonic's.

Of course, that doesn't go into the various other details of the character.

At the time, that was probably intentional for the whole "evil Sonic" and "ultimate lifeform" angle they were going for. Not that that helps his cause really, but it's the justification at any rate. And since Heroes Super Sonic has lost the Shadow-esque spikes he only had for the Adventure series.

At the time, that was probably intentional for the whole "evil Sonic" and "ultimate lifeform" angle they were going for. Not that that helps his cause really, but it's the justification at any rate. And since Heroes Super Sonic has lost the Shadow-esque spikes he only had for the Adventure series.

I'll say that Shadow's slightly more difficult to defend from "recolor" accusations, but it should come to people's minds when they throw that term around that him being somewhat of clone of Sonic was the whole freaking point when he was put into the series.

Either way, it's just haters being haters most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 8

Not that I'm saying this as my own reason for why he's not my favourite, but I think those haters tend to focus more on the story part of it; namely, how Gerald just happened to make a Sonic lookalike all those years ago despite it's prototype being a big fuck-off lizard with a life support.

inb4 Gerald looked at Hidden Palace murals.

It might not be your favorite theory but it's a pretty logical one.

Not that I'm saying this as my own reason for why he's not my favourite, but I think those haters tend to focus more on the story part of it; namely, how Gerald just happened to make a Sonic lookalike all those years ago despite it's prototype being a big fuck-off lizard with a life support.

I guess that theory makes sense. How else would Gerald know about the emerald shrine and make a copy of it in the ARK?

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess that theory makes sense.

Yes, but i highly doubt anyone at Sonic Team actually thought of it when they came up with Shadow. Shadow's resemblance to Sonic, not to mention him having the same speed and abilities as Sonic, was probably supposed to be just a really amazing coincidence.

I would very much like it if Sonic Team did make the mural-theory canon though, because as it is, the whole Sonic and Shadow similarity thing is just to nonsensical.

Edited by batson

I guess that theory makes sense. How else would Gerald know about the emerald shrine and make a copy of it in the ARK?

Remember, Hidden Palace's entire existence was retconned with SA1. There's been absolutely no mention of the place except in S3K. The Super Emeralds haven't been seen, and the Master Emerald is now housed in an entirely difference place. If there's no Hidden Palace, there's no mural.