Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Wouldn't really care if it doesn't get changed since lives are easy to stack up anyway, but the whole pause and restart loses you a life thing is pointless. I don't want lives removed altogether though so it still feels like the old days. :)

If he wants them, he can go knock on the front door of Eggman's Death Star Egg and try to take them.

He won't do that - otherwise, they'd have their best minions get curbstomped by Ewoks Mobians

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Whenever people bring down others because they like Sonic post-1994. It's happened to me quite a lot of times, and I've seen it across a majority of the Internet. Example.

"Felix: I like Unleashed, Colors and Generations."

"Someone else: What the hell are you talking about? Sonic hasn't been good since 1994, you fucking moron."

The Modern Sonic games are sure aren't up to par with the Classics, and both have their respective flaws, but it doesn't mean you can bring down someone because they like the Modern games.

Edited by Felix

Whenever people bring down others because they like Sonic post-1994. It's happened to me quite a lot of times, and I've seen it across a majority of the Internet. Example.

"Someone else: What the hell are you talking about? Sonic hasn't been good since 1994, you fucking moron."

WHT tEH Hel 4re u tking b0ut? sanic went b4d 4ftr FK&nG I99i !!!!!1

In all seriousness, those people irk me too, especially those who apparantely "know" how Sonic can be saved: have Eggman Robotnik kill all the characters and have Sonic be permanently 2D and friendless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Somewhat Sonic related

when people confuse ports, emulation and remakes

also "SANC IS KIDDEH GAEM UR A TEEEN"

No, just no

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm sure many of you are thinking it and may have done it yourselves, heck even I might have, probably, I dunno.

'Reapeating dead horse opinions'

Yes we know next generation sucks, oh? you're doing a review on it?

Oh my, where have I heard those opinions before? Like everywhere?

Just gets old.

• Thumbs Up 1

Somewhat Sonic related

when people confuse ports, emulation and remakes

Serious question: What's the difference between a port and emulation? Isn't the former basically the latter?

I'm sure many of you are thinking it and may have done it yourselves, heck even I might have, probably, I dunno.

'Reapeating dead horse opinions'

Yes we know next generation sucks, oh? you're doing a review on it?

Oh my, where have I heard those opinions before? Like everywhere?

Just gets old.

Now you see, while that does make sense on how it can get tiresome, you've created a bit of a problem.

"Right then, so people have been asking my personal opinion on *insert media* Well I gladly would... would being the key phrase here. See, my own opinion happens to be fairly similar to a lot of other people's opinions, and I've heard complaints before about repeated opinions being annoying and old, so to respect those claims, I'm going to just stay completely and utterly silent about the whole thing, since my viewpoint is pretty much entirely positive/negative/neutral."

...and there you have it. My opinion on *media* Hope you enjoyed it."

It's a bit of an exaggeration I admit, but you get the sort of Opinion Nazi idea.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Now you see, while that does make sense on how it can get tiresome, you've created a bit of a problem.

"Right then, so people have been asking my personal opinion on *insert media* Well I gladly would... would being the key phrase here. See, my own opinion happens to be fairly similar to a lot of other people's opinions, and I've heard complaints before about repeated opinions being annoying and old, so to respect those claims, I'm going to just stay completely and utterly silent about the whole thing, since my viewpoint is pretty much entirely positive/negative/neutral."

...and there you have it. My opinion on *media* Hope you enjoyed it."

It's a bit of an exaggeration I admit, but you get the sort of Opinion Nazi idea.

Yeah, I understand that I messed there without really thinking about what I was saying ^^

It's just that with 06 and Shadow you expect to hear the same things all the time, so that's why it gets tiresome to me.

Serious question: What's the difference between a port and emulation? Isn't the former basically the latter?

a port is code modified to run in a different architeture.

an emulation uses the original code in a "virtual" architeture equal to the one the original code runs.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Modern Sonic games are sure aren't up to par with the Classics, and both have their respective flaws, but it doesn't mean you can bring down someone because they like the Modern games.

I can't seem to find the blog where this was posted anymore, but I can remember a web page that was talking about Sonic, what made him good in the old days and what makes him 'bad' now. Unfortunately, I don't think that he had ever played a Sonic game in his life, because basically this is what happens:

He talks very briefly about Sonic's conception and how he was able to rival Mario in his early days, before saying "Yeah, Mario won in the end" without going into detail why, and after a few sentences talking about the games, he says "but enough of that shit" and focuses on the SatAm cartoon, and starts praising that, without mentioning that it was just another unofficial sequel to Furngully like so many other early 90's cartoons, and blissfully unaware of the fact that he's meant to be talking about the games. After mentioning next to nothing about the games and stating very pathetic reasons as to why SatAm is so brilliant, he starts saying that Sonic nowadays is a "whiny, emo, retarded loser". Yeah, not like the person who wrote the stupid blog post, eh? when I listen to Roger Craig Smith, I don't think Whiny. He was probably whinier in the cartoons, actually. He's no more "emo" or "retarded" than he was twenty years ago, in other words, not "emo" or "retarded" at all. I mean, I hate nostalgia fanboys as it is, but this is a whole new league of ignorance and stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't seem to find the blog where this was posted anymore, but I can remember a web page that was talking about Sonic, what made him good in the old days and what makes him 'bad' now. Unfortunately, I don't think that he had ever played a Sonic game in his life, because basically this is what happens:

He talks very briefly about Sonic's conception and how he was able to rival Mario in his early days, before saying "Yeah, Mario won in the end" without going into detail why, and after a few sentences talking about the games, he says "but enough of that shit" and focuses on the SatAm cartoon, and starts praising that, without mentioning that it was just another unofficial sequel to Furngully like so many other early 90's cartoons, and blissfully unaware of the fact that he's meant to be talking about the games. After mentioning next to nothing about the games and stating very pathetic reasons as to why SatAm is so brilliant, he starts saying that Sonic nowadays is a "whiny, emo, retarded loser". Yeah, not like the person who wrote the stupid blog post, eh? when I listen to Roger Craig Smith, I don't think Whiny. He was probably whinier in the cartoons, actually. He's no more "emo" or "retarded" than he was twenty years ago, in other words, not "emo" or "retarded" at all. I mean, I hate nostalgia fanboys as it is, but this is a whole new league of ignorance and stupidity.

Hmm, blind SatAM fan eh? I have a theory of who this could be, but I'm not going to say much more as I don't want to instigate drama.

Speaking of which, SatAM purists piss me off to no end - and this is coming from someone who actually loves the damn show. With them, it's always 'Oh, Sonic's on Earth, he's ruined because he's supposed to be on Mobius!' or 'Robotnik is more threatening than Eggman will ever be!' Or 'Why is Sonic with Amy! He should be with Sally!' And yadayadayada. So freaking close-minded.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whenever people say that being a fan of the Japanese side of Sonic makes you a weaboo. As in, liking the classic Japanese artwork, preferring the Japanese canon over the American one, etc. It also does not mean disliking the Westernized canon makes you a weaboo. However, it is stupid whenever you like the JP Sonic simply because of it's Japanese origin.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whenever people say that being a fan of the Japanese side of Sonic makes you a weaboo. As in, liking the classic Japanese artwork, preferring the Japanese canon over the American one, etc. It also does not mean disliking the Westernized canon makes you a weaboo. However, it is stupid whenever you like the JP Sonic simply because of it's Japanese origin.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thumbs Up 4

Pet Pevee of my mine: Corrupted SA2 game data.

I turned on my PS3 about 30 minutes ago and loaded up SA2. A message comes up stating 'your save data is corrupted, you will need to wipe this and start a new save data file'. Now, since it took me over 100 hours to get all 180 emblems in that game, I thought, fuck that! So I turned off the PS3 using the switch on the front of the console, as the system would not let me come out of SA2 without deleting the corrupted data.

I waited a minute, and then turned on the PS3 and loaded up SA2 again. Low and behold, the SA2 data no longer states it's corrupted! My save file is intact. All A ranks are still there. Thank god for that! It's a good job that I didn't delete the file when the system said it was corrputed.

So I have just backed up my save file of SA2 using a memory stick.

Thanks for the near heart attack Sony!

Edited by NightwingFox

I like Japanese Sonic, mainly because that's his country of orgin (even if he is made for an american audience).

You know what annoys me slightly? The fact that Sonic Team went to so much trouble making a series/character/story that would appeal to American audiences, and then SOA turned round and basically changed almost everything. That annoys me a bit.

Mind you, we got a lot of cool things out of it too, like R-R-Robotnik and Princess Sally and Chili-dogs. I don't hate the American continutiy, it just annoys me that it exists in the first place, if that makes sense?

To be fair, they kind of had to in order to get with the current trends back then. I think even Naka begrudgingly admitted that what SoA did to the franchise had a net positive effect, even if he didn't particularly like it. Of course it kind of came back to screw them, but hindsight is 20/20.

To be fair, they kind of had to in order to get with the current trends back then. I think even Naka begrudgingly admitted that what SoA did to the franchise had a net positive effect, even if he didn't particularly like it. Of course it kind of came back to screw them, but hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah, I can sort of see why they did it. But that doesn't stop me being annoyed slightly. It's like when I found out they edited the latest Aardman film for amercian release. I know that if I was the creator, I wouldn't want my creation edited just to please a country.

Pet Pevee of my mine: Corrupted SA2 game data.

I turned on my PS3 about 30 minutes ago and loaded up SA2. A message comes up stating 'your save data is corrupted, you will need to wipe this and start a new save data file'. Now, since it took me over 100 hours to get all 180 emblems in that game, I thought, fuck that! So I turned off the PS3 using the switch on the front of the console, as the system would not let me come out of SA2 without deleting the corrupted data.

I waited a minute, and then turned on the PS3 and loaded up SA2 again. Low and behold, the SA2 data no longer states it's corrupted! My save file is intact. All A ranks are still there. Thank god for that! It's a good job that I didn't delete the file when the system said it was corrputed.

So I have just backed up my save file of SA2 using a memory stick.

Thanks for the near heart attack Sony!

You know, a similar thing happens with my GameCube data for SA2 and SHTH. Seeing as they're the only GC games I have though, It could be all GC games. I play them on my Wii with a non-nintendo Cube card.

This is less of a pet-peeve, and more of a wondering about myself post:

I always keep labeling certain groups as fanatics and zealots, yet I sometimes wonder if I unintentionally do it myself. I mean, if anyone didn't catch it last night, that abrasive comment I made towards Popo when I skimmed through his post too quickly, and thought he was saying stories in the Sonic games should exist. Hell, look at the way I make fun of people who come onto this board and claim that Classic Sonic is the only real Sonic gameplay, and that Modern Sonic should just go bye-bye. I mean granted, he kinda deserved it for not even bothering to back up his claims, and he was being a git. But I still acted like a dick.

I don't know what to think to be honest.

Yeah, I can sort of see why they did it. But that doesn't stop me being annoyed slightly. It's like when I found out they edited the latest Aardman film for amercian release. I know that if I was the creator, I wouldn't want my creation edited just to please a country.

That's really an issue with Artisan business as a whole; the objectives of the creatives and the objectives of the company often end up clashing.

I prefer Japanese too, I even switch the language to Japanese because Sonic's voice is consistent between each game.

But yeah the American artwork makes Sonic look evil..

Chill runs through my spine whenever I hear "Initiating recovery mode".

Who says it?

Gamma or Omega I presume.

Same here. I look at that trailer, and I can only think:

"Um...how did people get hyped over this?"

Maybe I'm just weird like that.

I was one of those people who was hyped when I saw the trailers for Sonic 06 (back when I'd thought the game look good and didn't care about where the direction the series is going). But looking at it now, it's laughable and a poor attempt to make the game look 'epic'.

Gamma, in Sonic Battle, when he dies.

AND THEN

250px-NTS_-_BEEF_-_WATUSI.jpg

If there's anything that alleviates this pet peeve of mine is the fact that you can copy this technique with Emerl.