Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

What? DMC4 was fine. It wasn't perfect, but it was a great game. DMC2 was so bad and strayed so far from what made the original so great, that Capcom themselves like to pretend it never existed.

From what I've seen in this topic, the majority expect this game to suck even more than DMC2, and that's saying a lot. This 'Dante' is unlikable prat, what we've seen of the story and writing so far is terrible, the gameplay looks like a clone of Heavenly Sword (this is a bad thing), developers are pretentious idiots, and Ninja Theory can't make a good action game to save their lives, if their last two titles were of any indication, not to mention Ninja Theory can't make a game that doesn't bomb financially.

The list goes on. There are literally dozens of reasons why this game will likely be shit.And yet, various people on the web and the gaming media are under the impression that DMC fans are still going on about the damn hair. Fucking idiots.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

What? DMC4 was fine. It wasn't perfect, but it was a great game. DMC2 was so bad and strayed so far from what made the original so great, that Capcom themselves like to pretend it never existed.

From what I've seen in this topic, the majority expect this game to suck even more than DMC2, and that's saying a lot. This 'Dante' is unlikable prat, what we've seen of the story and writing so far is terrible, the gameplay looks like a clone of Heavenly Sword (this is a bad thing), developers are pretentious idiots, and Ninja Theory can't make a good action game to save their lives, if their last two titles were of any indication, not to mention Ninja Theory can't make a game that doesn't bomb financially.

The list goes on. There are literally dozens of reasons why this game will likely be shit.And yet, various people on the web and the gaming media are under the impression that DMC fans are still going on about the damn hair. Fucking idiots.

Fair enough, but the more I read about this game series the more it makes me not want to bother with it. People also said that DMC3 is hard as concrete, I like a challenge but I am not a sadist.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

The version of DMC3 included in the HD Collection is the re-released Special Edition which has a lower difficulty option.

Also DMC3 is nothing compared to Bayonetta's higher difficulties.

Fair enough, but the more I read about this game series the more it makes me not want to bother with it. People also said that DMC3 is hard as concrete, I like a challenge but I am not a sadist.sleep.png

Get the collection. There's adjustable difficulty levels and you can use (abuse) items to get past hard areas. Personally I'd play them on Normal to learn the ropes pitted against a decent level of challenge. Don't worry about ranks or dieing, practice will make perfect.

The original DMC might be a bit obsolete in some mechanics and may give newcomers some trouble (Nightmare lived up to its name back in the day). Fortunately the combat is still tight as hell, and what better way to get acquainted with the franchise than the game that practically invented the character action genre?

DMC2 is pretty damn bad, but by comparison it'll make the next even better. Seriously, DMC3. So good. No matter how badly the franchise is handled now, they'll never be able to taint 3. It's not bullshit hard either, don't know where that comes from.

4 is good. Not great, needed way more Dante and less recycling half the game - still deserving a playthrough.

And after you're done with DMC4, you play Bayonetta. This is imperative.

• Thumbs Up 4

Get the collection. There's adjustable difficulty levels and you can use (abuse) items to get past hard areas. Personally I'd play them on Normal to learn the ropes pitted against a decent level of challenge. Don't worry about ranks or dieing, practice will make perfect.

The original DMC might be a bit obsolete in some mechanics and may give newcomers some trouble (Nightmare lived up to its name back in the day). Fortunately the combat is still tight as hell, and what better way to get acquainted with the franchise than the game that practically invented the character action genre?

DMC2 is pretty damn bad, but by comparison it'll make the next even better. Seriously, DMC3. So good. No matter how badly the franchise is handled now, they'll never be able to taint 3. It's not bullshit hard either, don't know where that comes from.

4 is good. Not great, needed way more Dante and less recycling half the game - still deserving a playthrough.

And after you're done with DMC4, you play Bayonetta. This is imperative.

Cool thanks man. I will do that when I get it. I will look into Bayonetta heard a lot of people on here seem to mention it alot. smile.png

Speaking of Bayonetta, as much as I love that game and think its dodge mechanic is a fantastic idea, there are two major gripes I have with it - I hate the 'simon says' style of combos it and so many other action games use. It focuses too much on memorization and button-mashing rather than actual skill. Devil May Cry (the good ones) use timing-based moves instead, using one attack button, the lock-on trigger and the control stick, which are much easier to remember and execute on the fly. Intuitive, yet deep.

Also, the 'punishment' moves (forgot what they're called) break the flow of the combat. The catharsis factor wears off quickly, too. It's an annoying thing in games where flow-breaking stuff like slow-mo moves occur as a cheap attempt at adding 'style', such as Mortal Kombat's bone-breaking thing. Batman: Arkham Asylum and City do this a bit better by only doing slow-mo moments when you've taken out the last enemy in a group, though it's still a bit annoying.

QTEs I can do without, as well. It's the sort of thing I really dislike in games.

Honestly, I want to see another Truestyle Tournament with games that can rival Devil May Cry's style, which is not only fun to play, but amazing to watch. Problem is, only the DMC games and Bayonetta fall in this category, I think.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Speaking of Bayonetta, as much as I love that game and think its dodge mechanic is a fantastic idea, there are two major gripes I have with it - I hate the 'simon says' style of combos it and so many other action games use. It focuses too much on memorization and button-mashing rather than actual skill. Devil May Cry (the good ones) use timing-based moves instead, using one attack button, the lock-on trigger and the control stick, which are much easier to remember and execute on the fly. Intuitive, yet deep.

Woah, I'm gonna have to disagree here. Bayonetta's combo system is, like all truly genius inventions, simple and yet efficient.

Flexibility is key: 95% of it is comprised of two buttons with some spaces inbetween, easily covering all possible combinations - if the player is casual enough to rely on button mashing he'll still manage to input full working combinations. Players who wish to play DMC-style can simply learn a short list of favorites, many of which are homologue to their DMC counterparts (air launchers, stinger gap closers, etc.) and those who desire even more variety still have quite a few additional maneuvers to choose from. Not even throwing in taunts, dodges, enemy weapons, tortures or beast mode. Does it sound complex? It's not at all. When it clicks in its intuitiveness you'll unleash a veritable smorgasbord of attacks without even thinking.

Every weapon will bring its own additional flavor to the mix, yet the button combination list remains the same for all of them. But, the coherency doesn't stop there: moves will retain their purpose, encouraging the player to switch equipment mid-combo. For instance, ending a sequence with a kick and holding the button can trigger a fire Durga bomb (that'll be more powerful the longer the combo was), but if the enemy has moved away you can quickly switch to the Killgore releasing a long range projectile instead. It's fluid and natural, the evolution of DMC combat.

Furthermore, and here's the biggest value proposal: without a list combo system in place you wouldn't be able to use Dodge Offset - quite literally the greatest addition to action games in a while. You know how in the good games you can cancel out of a dialed combo to avoid attacks? In Bayonetta you will do so and still get to keep the combo. Even better, the game will reward mastering this technique by giving you a power boost (and more style points!).

Also, the 'punishment' moves (forgot what they're called) break the flow of the combat. The catharsis factor wears off quickly, too. It's an annoying thing in games where flow-breaking stuff like slow-mo moves occur as a cheap attempt at adding 'style', such as Mortal Kombat's bone-breaking thing. Batman: Arkham Asylum and City do this a bit better by only doing slow-mo moments when you've taken out the last enemy in a group, though it's still a bit annoying.

I partially agree, but they're not meant to be abused. Torture attacks are designed to isolate a powerful enemy to get major damage in (taking it out ASAP) and/or giving invincibility frames to catch a short break. That's why they're linked to a limited meter (even though competent players will not have any trouble keeping it full).

Sorry about the long post but I can't contain my love for Bayonetta. Such a joy to play.

-

So yeah, about that DmC combat.

I heard it has rock-paper-scissors mechanics much like Heavenly Sword.

Good to see Ninja Theory are pushing the DMC formula even further. Hoho.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seriously, DMC3. So good. No matter how badly the franchise is handled now, they'll never be able to taint 3. It's not bullshit hard either, don't know where that comes from.

Probably from the fact that when you start playing the second and third level bosses (and even some after it, like Nevan and ESPECIALLY Vergil) will kick a number of people's asses a few times before they can get the hang of his patterns. I still dread fighting that Vanguard motherfucker to this day despite him being a cakewalk for me, as I almost find Nevan to be less of a pain since you only fight her once.

While maybe not bullshit hard, the game has quite a difficulty to it, but it's also one of those games where getting you ass kicked makes you want to play it more just to do a victory dance when you win. It's just that fun.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

My cousin gave me DMC1 and the special edition DMC3 a while back (he specifically told me to stay away from 2, and I believe him). I really have to truck through them one of these days, especially since I never got further than five or so missions in the first game.

My cousin gave me DMC1 and the special edition DMC3 a while back (he specifically told me to stay away from 2, and I believe him). I really have to truck through them one of these days, especially since I never got further than five or so missions in the first game.

See I had a problem in reverse. I played DMC3 first before I played DMC1 and I got killed so many times I stopped playing DMC1 for about 3 months before trucking through it and beating it.

Then I played 2...*shudders*

Thankfully, I forgot A LOT about 2, so I guess I got a near clean bill right there.

DmC Devil May Cry release date announced

By Fred Dutton Published 22 May, 2012

Plus, PC version confirmed.

DmC Devil May Cry launches in both Europe and the US on 15th January next year for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, publisher Capcom has announced.

A PC version of the game will then arrive "later in 2013".

As revealed earlier this month, Capcom is hoping that the Ninja Theory-developed effort will sell around two million copies worldwide.

For more on the controversial franchise reboot, head on over to our DmC Devil May Cry preview.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-release-date-announced

PC version?

Quick, we must assemble the greatest team of hotshot modders and hackers to make this travesty look somewhat like an actual game.

I think we should begin Operation: Mission Impossible with some simple brainstorming.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm still amazed about how everyone in the world hates this game.

I'm still amazed about how everyone in the world hates this game.

See previous posts, such as Masaru's at the top of the thread.

If you really think the hate is that strong...you might have a point as there was a certain pic depicting a prank towards Tameem via twitter, but I don't have it with me at the moment, so here's the link to the actual tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/superninjatam/statuses/118602018137980929

He did say that he doesn't care about the fans' reaction, nor if it actually sells, it really shows the stubbornness and haughtiness, not unlike other developers/publishers/corporations in this industry. Interestingly, I'm sure it's already been brought up, but the situation between the developers, fans, and general observers over this game eerily parallels that of this franchise, particularly with Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whenever new information pops up for this game, I go to the comments section of the article and do this.

"I don't care if it sells good or not", yes the fuck you do...

Edited by Silencer Tsundere

Found the pic (click for larger size):

w62nu.jpg

Oh, 4chan. Outlandish and immature prank, or well deserved retribution?

Original meme for reference:

ld640161a585b16ea945a94.png

Edited by Treacher

You can almost feel the snickering cynicism that this thing is going to be slammed with until the day it is released.

Tornado is clairvoyant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite how stupidly cynical and biased I've been for this, I've still decided to buy it. Second-hand of course. Or at the very least I'll rent it. I'm interested to see how this will hold up as an action game, and if nothing else I'll get some cheap laughs and cries over how they bastardized everything.

God I think this is genuinely the first time I've ever considered buying a game solely to hate on it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

"Dante The Demon Killer" does not have a nice ring to it, Dante.

Also the writing in this game feels like it is trying way too hard to be edgy/cool. Not in the same way that previous games did it with a campy feeling, but this is just outright bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

not_Dante Punching a guy out after Not letting him into some Club because he wasn't on the List

FINALLY! he is showing some Traits of his Good Counterpart! it took them a Whole Goddamn Year but they finally got something ri-

not_Dante grabs the List and writes "FUCK YOU" on it

Never-fucking-mind

Really seems like the new Dante is trying too hard. Still, the game itself is looking better than it was. That's gotta count for something, right?

While the dialog is just BAD the game looks like a lot of fun. ..and I have to admit it despite still hating new Dante. I want the next game to continue Devil May Cry 4, not this DMC game.