Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Prepared to be shocked, as this is NOT the same DMC we once new.

More info on the PlayStation Network

This is a big surprise. So it seems Capcom is in the mist of re-imagining the DMC series. we have a completely new Dante (with black hair) in an even MORE darker tone than seen in previous DMC titles. The new Dante looks just as badass as the old Dante, but aside from seeing him in action we don't exactly know much of his personality (unless I skimed over that bit), so we don't know if he has the same wisecracking nature as the old Dante.

This game is also being co-developed by the makers of Heavenly Sword, Ninja Theory, who is also developing Enslaved as well.

I honestly don't know what to say. I'm not turned off by the game that's for damn sure. The trailer looks awesome, but this is quite a major twist from what we would expect from the series.

I just hope it is much better than DMC4, as fun as that game was it was lacking BIG compared to DMC3 for some reason. (My guess is Nero's Devil Bringer changing the flow, but that's me)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

When I read that Dante now had black hair, I immediately thought, "Huh, so that's how classic Sonic design enthusiasts feel." :lol:

Now I'm not a big game player, and my most exposure to the series was when my brother bought 4. So my nostalgia is very recent and limited, and it's undoubtedly there, so I'm raising an eyebrow at all of the emo/urban changes they've given the universe. Doesn't stop the trailer from being kinda awesome though.

EDIT: Actually, I'm tempted to recant my Sonic comment. Subsequent looks at the new design make me realize that I probably would've never recognized this guy as Dante without being told, something that cannot be said for any of Sonic's designs. Catching Ebony and Ivory may have tipped me off, but I'm not that sharp with the series.

... Geez Capcom.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

I've been a big fan of Devil May Cry since the first games release, and, along with the fun-but-badass attitude, it's the silver hair what makes Dante 'Dante'. When I first saw the new trailer, I thought the action was good, but the character was very emo looking, not what I wanted my Dante to look like. Now, after thinking about everything, I've come to the conclusion that this is a needed reboot to the series. The original games lacked any sort of story other than 'Sons of Sparda' etc, but judging from the trailer, they're developing it with a story in mind. For some reason it gives me an Arkham Asylum vibe.

Yes, the new character design is kinda offputting, but I believe his appearance will change with each game. You can already see Silver roots on the guy :) Also loving the UK flag on his jacket.

Edited by Running Wild
  • Bad Quality Post 2

This Dante looks even younger than Devil May Cry 3 Dante to me, so maybe this really is a prequel to everything? I'd hope so.

The change is rather surprising, I'll admit. I guess we'll just have to wait and get more information.

The change is definitely different, but they did need to give the series a new direction after 4. The new style is very nice, but I'm a little on the edge of the new Dante. I don't know what it is, but I've got a feeling that I'll end up loving him manly because he's still a badass!

Though I wonder what the story for this is going to be.

Game looks nice, dante looks generic.

The only other thing is that the teaser isn't enough, I'll just wait out for some actual game play footage.

This Dante looks even younger than Devil May Cry 3 Dante to me, so maybe this really is a prequel to everything? I'd hope so.

It's either that or a whole new take on it, and my money's on the latter. This Dante's new weapon appears to change shape, and Rebellion isn't anywhere in sight (unless that weapon is Sparda...which is odd because it should be more organic looking).

That and this Dante seems to come across as an ex-convict or prisoner of some sort when he was chained up and asked his name in the trailer.

It could go either way really, but this looks like a whole new spin than a prequel or sequel.

Everyone's response: What happened to Dante? He sucks now.

Me: Deal with it. :P

Whatever happened to having fun? Just look at the trailer. It looks like fun.

They better have the cig headlock of doom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

wat is dis

i dunt even...

I really don't know where to start. Nearly all the complaints about the new Dante have been covered by everyone else so I won't elaborate much. The mere fact the I'd would have even preferred Nero(a character that I hated with a passion for being an uninspired Dante rehash) of all of people over emo Dante here says everything.

As for the reboot...WHY? There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the overall plot that couldn't be fixed with a bit of explaining. I can already think of 3 better ideas a new DMC:

- why not a prequel that follows Dante's father Sparda as he rebels against the demon world?

- a spinoff following Virgil that explains his origins and perhaps even Nero's?

- or better yet, a spinoff starting Trish and Lady as a bit of a subtle jab a Bayonetta?

Even worse it's being directed by Ninja Theory. Admittedly they're good developers and great at making epic cinematic gameplay sequences, but the combat in Heavenly sword was even simpler and wonkier than GoW's and that's saying a lot!

At it's core the the combat in DMC4 was damn good, and made quite a few improvements over DMC3's system. My only real gripes with the game were the ho-hum story and the lazy rehashing of levels/character. If they just used the same combat system with a better story and more diverse stages I would have been pleased but right now all I can say is, well...

Baww, Black Hair!!

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2

As for the reboot...WHY? There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the overall plot that couldn't be fixed with a bit of explaining.

I seriously doubt it had anything to do with anything being wrong with the plot than it was them wanting to go on a different take on the series. Not so much a re-boot than it is re-imagining it...of course that might not be any different to many people.

I can already think of 3 better ideas a new DMC:

- why not a prequel that follows Dante's father Sparda as he rebels against the demon world?

- a spinoff following Virgil that explains his origins and perhaps even Nero's?

- or better yet, a spinoff starting Trish and Lady as a bit of a subtle jab a Bayonetta?

Capcom could probably think of several more than that...well at least I can think of two more.

-explaining what happened to Virgil after DMC1. I'd like to think he got free of Mundus' control, but that's really ambiguous looking at it now

-continue from DMC4 with a new plot. I'd like to think DMC2 never happened, but if they're going to keep it in the continuity they could continue off of that as well.

But eh, I'm waiting to see what they have in store for this before I even think about blowing a vent here.

At it's core the the combat in DMC4 was damn good, and made quite few improvements over DMC3's system. My only real gripes with the game were the ho-hum story and the lazy rehashing of levels/character.

I didn't really see very many improvements other than the addition of the Devil Bringer and Dante's ability to change styles on a whim. Of course if I were to go any further I would end up being picky. But all in all, I think they could've done a bit better with DMC4.

It's probably due to the rehashiness of some of the features that I felt that DMC3 was better. On the bright side, it was made up with the chance to fight Dante after feeling cheaped out in the DMC3 SE. :lol:

I don't approve of this at all.

The sole reason I've ever liked the DMC series is Dante's character, and from the teaser, this guy does not seem like Dante at all, even disregarding the hair change. He seems angsty and emo, gruffier, darker. No. Dante is peppy, and fun, and badass. He has some dark moments though. But this just doesn't seem like Dante. Which is why I like the series.

I really cannot see this new Dante having a thing for strawberry sundaes.

The game doesn't even look bad, it looks pretty good. It's the fact it's a DMC revamp that puts me off. It just seems unecessary. Why not just make a new series with this plot? Even set it in the same universe if you want, just....

Dante... T.T

EDIT:

If they were to just give him silver hair, everything would be fine. THIS IS A TRUE STATEMENT.

^ Haha, wow...the resemblance is clear.

It's the new Frankenstein [/lame]

Good grief, Capcom goes out of its way to avoid touching DMC2 and anything that could happen after it with a ten foot pole, and yet here we have a game that, with one trailer, blatantly retreads a good deal of DMC2's flaws. For those who don't know, DMC2 sucked so hard that Capcom really doesn't want anything to do with it.

There's no camp. Dante looks stupid and barely even talks, he's not even remotely likable anymore. The fighting is practically mundane compared to the ridiculous stuff Dante pulls on a regular basis in prior games. And it's being developed by Ninja Theory, who, as mentioned before, are mainly known for a God of War clone. If this game goes in the GoW direction, I will fucking rage.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

He seems angsty and emo, gruffier, darker.

Actually, that's just the prison scene where he looks like that. Outside of that he looks more chill and...fight happy, as shown when it takes down the demons and then smokes a cigarette while resting on a statue. The old Dante had more than that, but it's not enough to judge on appearance alone tho, although it does have a darker atmosphere I'll give it that.

But I think a lot of you are focusing more onto the prison scene too much. The new appearance is understandable, but aside from that everything is still in the dark.

Good grief, Capcom goes out of its way to avoid touching DMC2 and anything that could happen after it with a ten foot pole, and yet here we have a game that, with one trailer, blatantly retreads a good deal of DMC2's flaws.

There's no camp. Dante looks stupid and barely even talks, he's not even remotely likable anymore.

Whoa dude, WTF?

I can understand the talk about his appearance as I find it odd myself, but you're really going on the extreme end about all the other parts. It's only been one trailer, and we don't know everything about this new Dante to simply write him off as the quiet Dante in DMC2. Save that assumption til AFTER we get more info.

The old Dante didn't say anymore than one word in the DMC 4 teaser a few years back, and while he was less of a party boy in that game he was still a wisecracker. I seriously doubt they would go back on that route considering how it backfired on them the first time, but it's all a wait-and-see in order to get ANY kind of judgement outside of how the new Dante looks.

Christ, this looks stupid. I've only played the first game and parts of the third, but even with just that little bit under my belt, Dante was one of the most lovable characters I ever had the pleasure of shooting up the undead with. And the franchise, as a whole, seemed to end on a cliff-hanger... right?

So why the fuck is this even necessary? Why a reboot? The franchise wasn't even 10 years old and had less than 5 games under its belt, and it seemed like it was only growing in popularity. Hell, Dante's inclusion in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 almost solidified the fact that Dante was... well, Dante, and that he was a Capcom mainstay.

But now we have Dante as played by Robert Pattinson, and he looks like he took a dump on everything that made the original Dante so cool - including his looks. Gone is the silver-hair, manliness, humor, and general likability. It's all been replaced by a tweeny-bopper vampire craze wanna-be in a generic post-apocalyptic world with enemies that look like they were rejected Power Rangers designs.

....in short, I think this game will be amazing and I cannot wait to hear more about it. We <3 you Capcom.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 4

Perhaps I am focussing to much on the prison scene, but then, that's what most of the teaser was. They're choosing to initially showcase New Dante in this manner, surely they want to represent him in this way.

He seems better during the fight scenes, but still not... great. He appears sluggish, almost, like he doesn't really care. There is no badassery there, really. Not on the level of which I am used to. There are a couple of bits where I think, 'oh, hey, that was kind of cool', but it's just not in the same vain, or same level, as the Dante I am used to. Perhaps they do not realise what they have to live up to, and are simply showcasing the game badly in the teaser. But if this is representative, as they really should have made it, then this is nowhere near Real Dante. This is something else.

I don't see why a reboot is even necessary, if this is what it is. I like the new enviroment though, it seems nice. Though I don't see why they couldn't have somehow incorporated it into current DMC canon, it wouldn't exactly be hard. The geography and setting has never been set in concrete. This seems like it really is just a decision to remarket Dante to the 'emo/scene' crowd or whatever. And I get the fact that, that's what they have to do. They have to remarket Dante as appealing to the younger generation. But if this is their plan, then it will irk a lot of people who love Real Dante. Because he was a badass, and an icon. It's not like he's just been in a couple of games, he was in an anime and books and stuff. He IS Devil May Cry. Doing this is just a stupid move, and I really don't mean to sound fanboyish or anything.

Hell, this looks like a good game. I would like it a lot more if it wasn't a DMC reboot (if that is indeed what it is). It's a little but much to accept right now, and a little bit bewildering. It seems like they are straight-up attempting to simply replace the main character and icon of the series. And that makes me feel just a tad uncomfortable.

The old Dante didn't say anymore than one word in the DMC 4 teaser a few years back

Because they were focusing on Nero. Hell, they were playing Dante up as a VILLAIN at the time, if I remember correctly.

....in short, I think this game will be amazing and I cannot wait to hear more about it. We <3 you Capcom.

Okay, this made me laugh.

'Eh, I honestly don't care about Devil May Cry, but I'm just thinking that this scenario reminds me quite a bit of Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, which largely revamps a lot of the characters (Tia and Idura, for example, don't even RESEMBLE their old selves...).

Though, a major difference is that the original "DMC" games were all 3D (as I recall), whereas this 3D remake of Lufia II (for DS) is a remake of a 2D game. Still, though, the changes are similar... characters look completely new, perhaps even a totally remade battle system...

The franchises themselves have nothing in common, but the "revamp with changes so thorough that you don't even recognize the characters anymore" fit in both scenarios, bitching included. At least most of the Lufia characters still at least resemble their original selves, though...

Anyway, that's all I had to say. Carry on.

Because they were focusing on Nero.

I'm assuming you haven't seen the teaser I'm talking about, but this is what I was referring to

That is obviously NOT Nero. And no one even new about Nero's existence until we got more data on the game.

Perhaps I am focussing to much on the prison scene, but then, that's what most of the teaser was. They're choosing to initially showcase New Dante in this manner, surely they want to represent him in this way.

Dude, there was slightly less of the prison scene than the action scenes in that trailer. I'm guessing the prison scene took most of the attention than it did the actual trailer.

Doing this is just a stupid move, and I really don't mean to sound fanboyish or anything.

Dude, I'm willing to bet my left nut that I am more of a fanboy of the series than you are. :P

But I'm not seeing too much to get vented about other than the new Dante's appearance, and even still I'm cautious about it at most.

Hell, this looks like a good game. I would like it a lot more if it wasn't a DMC reboot (if that is indeed what it is). It's a little but much to accept right now, and a little bit bewildering. It seems like they are straight-up attempting to simply replace the main character and icon of the series. And that makes me feel just a tad uncomfortable.

Well, I told you that you'll be in for a shock, now didn't I? B)

I'm not seeing as a reboot. There's too much history of the series to be retconned like that, so I'm guessing this is a re-imagining of the series like it was said on the PlayStation Network.

All I can say is the same thing that I've been saying, which is to wait until we get more info. If it turns out your fears are right, I have no choice but to let you guys go on a ragefest on the changes. Til then, I suggest you be cautious about it before blowing up. It doesn't exactly do anything good regardless of what you think of the direction...well, that's not exactly true, but still, it's too early to judge.

Edit: Why do I get the feeling that this is the kind of reaction Capcom wanted? :lol:

I found the real trailer.

So I'm guessing that this game is going to function a lot like Heavenly Sword*, which was, shall we say, "inspired" by God of War, which I never though was that good a combat system to start with. I may be wrong, but that's the idea I'm getting.

* Which also had an extendable weapon and the ability to fling stuff.

When I read that Dante now had black hair, I immediately thought, "Huh, so that's how classic Sonic design enthusiasts feel." :lol:

Now I'm not a big game player, and my most exposure to the series was when my brother bought 4. So my nostalgia is very recent and limited, and it's undoubtedly there, so I'm raising an eyebrow at all of the emo/urban changes they've given the universe. Doesn't stop the trailer from being kinda awesome though.

EDIT: Actually, I'm tempted to recant my Sonic comment. Subsequent looks at the new design make me realize that I probably would've never recognized this guy as Dante without being told, something that cannot be said for any of Sonic's designs. Catching Ebony and Ivory may have tipped me off, but I'm not that sharp with the series.

... Geez Capcom.

It almost looked like his guns had some sort of weight or something under the barrels, I didn't recognize them as Ebony and ivory. I also didn't recognize Dante as Dante.

So if I'm right and this game does play a lot like heavenly sword, This new game will be based off a game taking heavy inspiration from God of War which took moderate inspiration from the first Devil May Cry.

• Thumbs Up 1