Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

They had a demo of this in the Eurogamer Expo and it was near the Metal Gear Rising one. It went about as well as you would expect.

Can't switch weapons mid combo, yet another color matching system, bosses can be defeated spamming the heavy attack... you know, the usual. Only now it was even more of a shocker/disappointment by being able to immediately play and compare with Platinum's upcoming action game.

You really expect this game to beat out Bayonetta. A game that actually lets you wield gun-chucks, and sucker punch gods into the sun? Pull my other leg.

No but I think it's funny that you think I'm being serious.

Yeah, figured that you be trolling.

And Dobkeratops further reinforces the evidence that this game is gonna be so, so, shit. Not big surprise.

... Wait. Dobkeratops, would you say DmC is better or worse than DMC2, from what you've played? Just curious.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

... Wait. Dobkeratops, would you say DmC is better or worse than DMC2, from what you've played? Just curious.

Ah, I should've clarified this - these aren't my own impressions but a friend's. He's mayyybe (probably) better at action games than me and has a lot of experience with the genre, so I'm willing to believe everything he says in that regard.

What made the most impression in him is how *simplistic* DmC felt, for both combat and platforming. Not just being able to spam a single attack and win, but the fact the game rarely encourages otherwise. By contrast, the Rising demo had players struggling to complete it using this same tactic because it expected you to get acquainted with the moveset and learn how to dodge/block/parry - and it did it in such a manner that during the span of the demo it was possible to reach a skill level high enough to never get hit. Like a fucking boss.

edit: if I had gone and played it myself there would be a four paragraph dissertation on the demise of the franchise right here, hah.

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't remember much about DMC2 aka I consciously suppressed everything about it, so were you able to switch weapons in the game?

I don't remember much about DMC2 aka I consciously suppressed everything about it, so were you able to switch weapons in the game?

DMC2 was the one that introduced on the fly switching, if memory serves well.

Apparently on DmC you have to wait for the current attack to finish before changing weapons, so it lacks the flexibility DMC3/4/Bayo have for making interesting free form combos or insta-cancelling out of one.

It introduced switching guns instantly although there was no switching between melee weapons like in DMC3/4 (not that there was a point since all three weapons were exactly the same aside from appearance and damage output).

They had a demo of this in the Eurogamer Expo and it was near the Metal Gear Rising one. It went about as well as you would expect.

Can't switch weapons mid combo, yet another color matching system, bosses can be defeated spamming the heavy attack... you know, the usual. Only now it was even more of a shocker/disappointment by being able to immediately play and compare with Platinum's upcoming action game.

Color matching system? Are we talking about something like Golden Axe Beast Rider?

It introduced switching guns instantly although there was no switching between melee weapons like in DMC3/4 (not that there was a point since all three weapons were exactly the same aside from appearance and damage output).

And you find them sitting in the corner.

Color matching system? Are we talking about something like Golden Axe Beast Rider?

I was thinking more along the lines of Ikaruga, without having seen anything in the game.

Haven't played GA: Beast Rider, but he made it sound similar to what they had in Heavenly Sword or some Castlevania: LoS bosses.

Basically, use either Devil move on flashing color A or Angel move on flashing color B for pseudo-QTE finishers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Public Demo becomes available Novemebr 20th for PSN, November 21st for XBL

Gamesradar gives some (positive) impressions. Talks about the controls, graphics, combat, characters, platforming, etc.

inb4 reads title, "lol fuck dat, not readin dis. close tab, luuul"

Just suck it up and read.

Edited by Nintendoga

inb4 reads title, "lol fuck dat, not readin dis. close tab, luuul"

Just suck it up and read.

The more modern control scheme no longer requires you to contort your fingers to do a simple attack.

Sorry, I don't read hyperbole.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry, I don't read hyperbole.

Agreed, the gaming press is speaking so much horseshit about this game, it's laughable. The press are only behind this game because Ninja Theory are working on it, and even then they don't realize that their last two games had a semblance of quality because they got professional writers on board for those projects, which they aren't doing this time, and it SHOWS.

Yeah, kinda hilarious how the press is riding this game and arrogantly claiming it's good "whether you like it or not."

Yet despite the efforts to recover, if this were the Sonic series doing this kinda thing, it's the bashing bandwagon yet again. I'm not really looking for an excuse to hate the game, because really, I stopped caring about it a long time ago. But I can't say this is putting it in any good graces to me. Remaking the canon in an alternate setting isn't always gonna sit well with people unless you know what you're doing will actually sit right with them, and this doesn't seem to be doing just that.

I'll probably rent the game and see how it fares up for myself, but I'm not seeing anything that's moving me towards supporting this.

I believe the gaming press were basically dick-riding Sonic 06 as well, due to all the sheer hype, and look where all THAT hype went when the game was actually released. I just hope the same happens to this game. And I'm not gonna mince words here, Ninja Theory, especially Tameem, are arrogant, pretentious morons who think assholes are 'badass', and deserve it. Two games that bomb, and Capcom think this one can actually make a profit. Madness, really.

Really, I think the insecure desire for gaming to be seen as a 'legit art form' in the eyes of mainstream society has resulted in the press dick-riding any studio that happens to be 'cinematic'. It's fairly obvious that Ninja Theory are blatantly in the wrong industry - they seem like they'd rather want to make movies instead. I personally think that, while cutscenes aren't necessarily something that should be completely discarded in all cases, gaming should move towards conveying narrative through gameplay rather than non-interactive elements. I think games are indeed art, but until the industry at large fully embraces the unique aspects of the medium rather than taking notes from other art forms, gaming won't evolve into a truly unique art form in its own right.

THE NAME'S DANTE! HAS A NICE RING TO IT, DON'T YOU THINK?

Heh, no way.

I'm buying the HD collection.

It's sad knowing we may never get to see the characters we once knew ever again.

This game could've been about Sparda or maybe Nero.

I'll only buy this game when it's really cheap or unless some people magically say this game turns out awesome.

Eh, a girl can dream.

Edited by Purple Heart Neptune

I believe the gaming press were basically dick-riding Sonic 06 as well, due to all the sheer hype, and look where all THAT hype went when the game was actually released. I just hope the same happens to this game. And I'm not gonna mince words here, Ninja Theory, especially Tameem, are arrogant, pretentious morons who think assholes are 'badass', and deserve it. Two games that bomb, and Capcom think this one can actually make a profit. Madness, really.

In Sonic 06's case, that came right after a previously destructive game and only managed to do the impossible by making ShTH of all games look decent upon release. Of course, when you have a half finished game, it's kinda hard to defend.

And in this games defense (heh, look at me defending it), it is based off of their famed DMC series...of course that probably isn't a good defense seeing how the fans outright hate the look of this game. And to think they couldn't shoot themselves in the foot even more given how they've done the Megaman franchise.

THE NAME'S DANTE! HAS A NICE RING TO IT, DON'T YOU THINK?

Heh, no way.

I'm buying the HD collection.

It's sad knowing we may never get to see the characters we once knew ever again.

This game could've been about Sparda or maybe Nero.

I'll only buy this game when it's really cheap or unless some people magically say this game turns out awesome.

Eh, a girl can dream.

They probably ran out of storyline for the old Dante and didn't want to stoop so low as to use him as a cash cow with terrible games (like Capcom has been known to do already).

I "don't mind" Dante's update, but his story in this game is absolutely appalling. It's not edgy, dark or new, but something you'd find in a fanfic for god's sake.

Your opinion sounds like this guys

This guy brings up some good points.

Edit: spelling mistake.

Edited by Purple Heart Neptune

Your opinion sounds like this guys

This guy brings up some good points.

Edit: spelling mistake.

Hahah wow, I gotta agree with this guy. It kind of makes me sad seeing these clips all put together because he really has been made to appear awful compared to his original design.

I did use to have a giggle at some of the lines old Dante pulled out...this new incarnation just...swears too much to try and prove a point.