Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Don't let that trailer fool you. The combat is just as clunky as the last preview.

Here's a couple of quotes from the thread on the TvTropes forums outlining why Donte's characterization is bad:

And one more thing; the biggest difference between good Dante and Donte is that Dante does not hurt people. That doorman was doing his job. Now, if it turns out that club is being run by demons and the doorman was a demon, that might be okay, but the trailer never showed he was so I'm left to assume that Donte beat up a relatively innocent person.

Dante is a hero. He does what he does because he has a moral code and wants to keep people safe from demons. Dante likes to show off because it's fun, and he has a laid back but confident attitude because he knows he can handle things. Donte on the other hand seems to always be compensating for something. He's acts more like someone trying to be badass instead of someone who is badass. The way he talks reeks of hiding insecurity, and his actions make it look like he takes enjoyment over being more powerful than other people, including defenseless humans. Donte has to keep reassuring himself he's a tough guy through posing and using vulgarity.

Original Dante is a fun trickster who is self assured and likes to have fun when he's dishing out justice. Donte is a punk who enjoys bullying people and posturing in a vain attempt to look cool. And I am not giving Dm C's writers the credit of creating a flawed character here; they have made Donte act this way because they want us to think he's cool and they are failing at it. They want us to genuinely believe that this behavior is cool, and it sounds like a bunch of these magazine articles are actually buying into that. Who the fuck has to claim they're "100% heterosexual" out of nowhere? The original Dante would have still been an awesome badass even if he was 1% heterosexual. Know why? Because he was always confident and self assured. His sexuality isn't what made him badass.

Dante: Big penis. Donte: Small penis. That's what it really boils down to. Donte will probably turn out to be a colossal Jerk Sue and Author Avatar. He's the guy that Tameem wishes he was, and that Tameem and reviewers have to keep telling us what a badass he supposedly is just convinces me further.

I don't think Dante would punch the guy, he'd probably go "Whoa there! There must be some kinda mistake! Let me see that...", take the list and pen, scribble something with really exaggerated movements, hand it back to the dude and pat him on the shoulder, and walk in while he's confused. Then the camera cuts away to the list, and it says "Dante" in a stylized font with a little smiley face beside it.

And the insane amount of vulgarity is just stupid. That's not witty! That's just bad writing.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 9

[media=]

Boss fight is pretty legit. I Enjoyed watching it.

As an action game I say it doing good though in its own right...I'll just consider it a DMC spinoff...

And the insane amount of vulgarity is just stupid. That's not witty! That's just bad writing.

When did Devil May Cry...EVER have good writing?

Bad writing is pretty much what makes a DMC game a DMC game.

Edited by Voyant

The combat is still subpar, but I do enjoy the one liners. He is still not Dante though.

When did Devil May Cry...EVER have good writing?

Bad writing is pretty much what makes a DMC game a DMC game.

Okay, correction: BAD bad writing. Not humorously bad. Just cringeworthy. The Devil May Cry games (except 2) are deliberately campy, but Ninja Theory didn't learn from DMC2 that Devil May Cry without the camp just doesn't work. Repeated swearing isn't funny, period.

Edit: Oh, and if what I'm hearing is right, the first boss is a third of the way through the game. Are Ninja Theory games really that short?

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Enslaved didn't really have many "bosses" either so this doesn't surprise me. I only remember like, four.

Yeah, Heavenly Sword only had four bosses if I recall correctly. One of which you faced twice so you can't really count it as a boss.

Don't let that trailer fool you. The combat is just as clunky as the last preview.

OH MY FUCKING GOSH PLAYER! STOP FUCKING SHOOTING THE ENEMY AND JUST KILL THE BASTARD! IT'S NOT THAT FUCKING HARD!

At least this Dante is pretty amusing with his one-liners, swearing aside.

EDIT: Also, are people seriously considering buying this game at one point just to hate on it? That's pretty tragic.

Edited by Ringo ~

Carbo explicitly said as a second hand experience or at least rent worthy.

Wow, this writing is almost as vulgar as South Park. Difference is, South Park does it as a means of satire while this is just stupid.

Oh, I'm sorry, fucking stupid, for fuck's sake. Better, Capcom?

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to admit, I laughed when he punched out the doorman and wrote "Fuck you" on the list. As out of character as it would have been for the old Dante (although I wouldn't find it too far out of character if the original did just that), that gave me a good laugh.

Yeah, I'm kinda enjoying the one liners. Unlikely I'll get this game tho.

I'm not a DMC fan at all really, to pretend I am would be stupid. I know nothing about the old DMC's, I actually own the first one but haven't played it much. But anyway, to be honest I'll probably pick this up, character and fandom loyalty bullshit aside if I have fun with the game then I couldn't care less about someone else's opinion. Hope that doesn't sound dickish, but what I see looks alright, and not really terrible. :P

Ok, you can all come in and tell me I suck and I should burn at the stake for even thinking this game looks ok at best.

The gameplay just doesn't look fun at all to me. It looks like it takes forever to kill enemies. I'm the worst DMC1 player in the world and it never took me that long to kill a fucking mook.

The original Devil may cry series still had heaps of life in it.

Nero could've been in another game as the main hero

But to be honest it looks like he did what he needed to do in DMC4

We could've maybe had a game based around Sparda.

Or a subtle reboot that starts over with Dante facing a new foe or with Mundus returning.

Who's the target audience for this game? Surely not old fans of the series.

The gameplay just doesn't look fun at all to me. It looks like it takes forever to kill enemies. I'm the worst DMC1 player in the world and it never took me that long to kill a fucking mook.

No Sean, I am the worst, I barely spent 2 hours playing DMC 1. :P

I have to admit, I laughed when he punched out the doorman and wrote "Fuck you" on the list.

It raised a smirk from me too, but I do feel like they're going overboard with how much everyone swears in this. Personally, I think he shoulda' punched out the doorman, written 'Dante' on the list, and just quipped about 'Now I am' or something.

From Gaf

~~~~~~~

This is from the Capcom stream earlier. It's a walkthrough of both segments of the demo, but more importantly it's one of the few walkthrough demo's in which the actual mechanics are described button by button. I've been following the game pretty closely and even I finally really learned the controls + mechanics for the first time by watching this.

The boss fight segment begins at around the 19 minute mark. It is by Capcom, so I apologize for the PR filler - but it's mostly all demo and game. The quality is of a streamed video.

walkthrough - begins at 1:55 ends at 18:40. Boss fight is from 19:00 to end.

Edited by Voyant

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of quotes from the thread on the TvTropes forums outlining why Donte's characterization is bad:

On the topic of Dante's Donte's sexuality: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/dmcs-dante-isnt-gay-hes-just-the-victim-of-sensationalist-de/

Reading through it, this article is all kinds of crazy, from the game's parallels with western media and its extremist pundits ala Billy O' Reilly to Antoniades apparently wanting him (Donte) to be gay.

20 bucks says that other fat guy looking at him through the screens is Mundus.

The real reason why we're seeing this Donte is because somewhere down the line a movie is being made. And the actor in question didn't want to dye his hair white. ( Kidding... )

Edited by Vicki Turner

"Where's that DAMN FUCKING fourth Chaos Emerald demon I need to kill?"

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

I figured the music sounded reminiscent of Combichrist.

While that gives me reason to look forward to the soundtrack at the very least, I could probably list better electronic rock acts that'd suit the likes of DMC better and I still feel this is just adding onto the whole underground urban shit the game revolves around which is alienating me.

• 1 month later...

Boss fights comfirmed to be dumbed down crap.

Seriously, it's just block, use Devil Bringer grabby thing, mash the attack button, rinse, repeat. And raising your DT meter and getting SSS combos is stupidly easy.

Edited by Masaru Daimon