Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

I mean, this isn't news in the slightest, but holy fuck. Did he seriously just pass the buck regarding DiNO by blaming the fact that it looks almost exactly like him being Capcom Japan's fault?

Not really, if you're a DMC fan.

Devil May Cry as a franchise will be... I don't want to say fucked, but it will certainly be in a weird place as a franchise whether this succeeds or fails though. Succeeds probably means more NT DMC, fails probably means no DMC at all for a while, either option isn't appealing.

If only they had! But then again.... clover losing the rights to DMC caused Bayonetta, in a way, so I guess that's not too bad.

Losing Okami and Viewtiful Joe though? tragic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes me wonder which is more tragic. Losing Okami and Viewtiful Joe, or this mistake of a game?

All this time, I would've expected them to follow along with what they've laid out from the previous DMC's only for them to practically throw it all out the window for this game. I'm not sure how this game is going to serve as a prequel, aside from me not looking to highly of it right now.

It can't possibly work as a prequel. The whole "half-angel" thing conflicts with existing canon so badly that the existing games simply CANNOT WORK with it - Dante's mother, Eva, was HUMAN. It's a major plot point in the original DMC concerning Trish's VERY EXISTENCE, and Vergil's entire motivation in DMC3 is because of the death of Eva, and his rejection of his human side compared to Dante.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Why not go and keep the half human thing instead of going half angel? Seems weird to throw out the trait to throw in one essentially the same, but ever so slightly different.

Five bucks says it's there for the sake of a bullshit 'moral choice' system.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

In other words, copying straight from Dante's Inferno. Just like they copied God of War for Heavenly Sword.

Fuck you, Ninja Theory.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still wondering why DMC needed westernizing in the first place. You woudn't know that it's Japanese when you're a Casual gamer(as in you don't have game knowledge about who made which games) playing it. Same goes for most Capcom Franchises.

Wasn't Inafune responsible for this? He also outsourced Deadrising and Lost Planet 2 to Western companies. And some other games I'm forgetting. This whole Western Fad is stupid. Or Capcom, I dunno.

Edited by ChikaBoing

It can't possibly work as a prequel. The whole "half-angel" thing conflicts with existing canon so badly that the existing games simply CANNOT WORK with it - Dante's mother, Eva, was HUMAN. It's a major plot point in the original DMC concerning Trish's VERY EXISTENCE, and Vergil's entire motivation in DMC3 is because of the death of Eva, and his rejection of his human side compared to Dante.

I hung around the NT and CU forums so I was up to date till I finally gave up on DMC and went back to Sonic(best move on my end). Still, from what I see now:

For a NT game, this looks really good. NT proved me wrong with the combat for what they can do. Looks a bit generic but still looks pretty good. Would consider a Rental if it weren't a DMC game.

For a DMC game, the only thing that would tie it to the series is the name as nothing is DMC except the name and the DT which was Capcoms lazy effort to shut the youtube ragers up about the hair. Also, the combat look choppy and slow for a DMC game imo. bad engine chosen as well. Will never support Capcom's atrocious decision. Besides, this game won't sell nearly enough to outsell DMC4 (which was decent) due to fans not agreeing with it.

• 1 month later...

http://www.siliconer...ifferent-dante/

DmC Devil May Cry Takes Place In A Parallel World With A Different Dante

The half-angel, half-demon Dante in DmC Devil May Cry is not the Dante you know fromDevil May Cry. Strange yes, but there’s an explanation inside Dengeki PlayStation. The magazine explains Ninja Theory’s game takes place in parallel world.

The Dante we know and love still exists in our world and the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 universe. Ninja Theory suggested this storyline shift, according to the magazine.

DmC Dante has separate angel and devil powers. Players can switch between these by pressing a button. DmC Devil May Cry has a devil trigger function, but it won’t turn this Dante into a devil. Instead, it freezes enemies in their tracks.

DmC Devil May Cry is in development for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Oh, haha.

Edited by MarcelloF

tl;dr: "The fans whined so hard that we had to make up this asspull explanation for fucking up everything from the previous games."

• Thumbs Up 5

So it's a reboot after all. PREQUEL MY ASS.

It's hilarious how hard Ninja Theory are backpedaling, it really is.

• Thumbs Up 1

So this isn't Devil May Cry anymore, right?

Not the Devil May Cry we thought they were going to give us, at least.

If this was some type of new IP or something, I'd think this was a pretty cool game, but if I'm supposed to think that this is what they think DMC should turn into, what Dante should be in every aspect, how Not-so stylish everything is...it just annoys the hell out of me.

I think people would be calling a Dvil May Cry knock off starring an emo douche bag, on Youtube anyway. Really, I think a lot of this game's notoriety has to do with it's relation to DMC. It's so nice that they made the acronym "DmC" instead of the DmC most people might use.

I'd like to mention that Ninja Theory's ability to write serious plots will probably work against them here.

I'd like to mention that Ninja Theory's ability to write serious plots will probably work against them here.

• 4 weeks later...

"That camera spotted you". Are they even trying? Is it asset reusing from Enslaved?

Combat looks slow and dull. Animations lacking punch even in cutscenes where they have full control, not-Dante is out in full force and so are the common Unreal Engine issues. Token female sidekick promises to be extremely annoying.

I sort of like the colorful artstyle though.