Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

They often turn the difficulty way down for shows, but that's really your boss fight? A big hands on a ledge grasshopper thing?

Ninja Gaiden 2 screwed up this genre for me, I'm not satisfied if I finish an enemy, I need to beat that enemy. That's not how this boss works.

I hear the first two Ninja Gaiden games were fine, but 3 was crap.

I think one of the main issues is that God of War is cheapening the entire action game genre when it comes to pretty much anything not made by Platinum Games, these days. God of War is not a bad game, but let's face it, the catharsis factor, killing big monsters and being, well, and angry man out to murder pretty much everything is the main draw, not the combat system, which allowed you to murder pretty much everything with the same combo. David Jaffe has outright said that Devil May Cry, which GoW was inspired by, has a superior combat system. And even Kratos himself is wearing out his welcome after he stopped being a remotely interesting character and turned into an irredeemable asshole.

Bayonetta should have taken the action genre to new heights, but instead we're seeing God of War clones across the board - anything Ninja Theory makes, including this game, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the Werehog, and even Ninja Gaiden 3 took heavy notes from God of War. All of them are inferior to the product they're trying to copy. It's rather telling, really.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is the ultimate bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to Beat em Up games. It does an unfathomably massive disservice to it's own franchise more than DMC2 ever did - and dare I say it, more than this game ever will. If anything, DmC can take solace in the fact that it won't be as bad as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja Gaiden 3 sucks so bads I have no words for it. The death of my formerly favourite action series.

Speaking of former favourites.

vergil_render_fullres8qx22.jpg

oh hi

He looks like Wesker Jr.

Oh, shit, I just remembered... Over on the TvTropes thread about this game, someone posted info about some guy who leaked a whole bunch of story details, including the Slum Queen expy we saw above, some fat bastard being Mundus, and Vergil being in the game. Said details were incredibly bad, and this is further evidence that it's true. This game is so gonna suck hard.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

He looks like Wesker Jr.

and he doesn't look like the 2 Dollar Crack Whore I expected him to look like. So looking like Wesker Jr. is an Improvement.

.....not that it possibly redeems everything else in this game so far.

I think the game is looking miles better then it did at inception, the Dante character model has been improved heaps and the lighting is actually quite nice.

How it plays is still the issue and if the game feels like shit it'll suck. But I don't really like anything Ninja Theory have done and I'm willing to give this a small chance, despite how much the Dante design change burns.

Wow some good news from this game for once.

Although this will inevitably lead to a dumb white hair twist for Dante.

I'm standing by what I said earlier on when he had white/gray regrowth.... he dyes his hair black for some stupid reason.

I like vergil's coat. It'd look way better without the blue floral pattern near the waist

I don't really dig Vergil's look. As people have said on NeoGAF, he looks like a fake nazi.

Anyone who wears a peacoat is a Nazi now?

So I take it Vergil will betray Dante before the games over so Dante can have some heroic angst? Yeah, admittedly, it's not that bad, but at the same time I can see it coming from a mile away.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, shit, I just remembered... Over on the TvTropes thread about this game, someone posted info about some guy who leaked a whole bunch of story details, including the Slum Queen expy we saw above, some fat bastard being Mundus, and Vergil being in the game. Said details were incredibly bad, and this is further evidence that it's true. This game is so gonna suck hard.

It would be pretty easy to guess that stuff, considering the game is a reboot.

The plot could be the most awful, schlocky, cheesy b-grade action move crap in the universe, but it would mean shit if it plays well, a lot like the original DMC and virtually every other action game in existence.

I know this story stuff matters to fans but eh

The game is looking better than I initially thought. I probably won't buy it, but I'll rent it.

If Capcom thinks a good story change actually matters when appealing to the West, they are in for another let down. So far, every bit of combat gameplay has sucked for shit.

Really intrested in what they have done with Vergil in the reboot, especially the character design. I'm looking forward to this reboot the more I see from it.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

Gameplay still looks bad

As you can see the combo system has been simplified. Look at how fast he got the S rank. Not just that, but the combo is continuous and kept as long as you, the player, don't get hit. If you do get hit, the combo does not erase completely. Instead, it just knocks down a few ranks.

Not to mention how fucking pretentious it is for them to parody Fox News. I mean really, it is not even thinly veiled.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I think at this point you guys are just TRYING A BIT TO HARD to find something to hate. I see NO PROBLEM picking shit at fox news....because well....Fox News is shit.

Also I believe the Combat is actually much more complicated than that...it was explained in another video...these dudes playing have been messing with this game from its inception of course they going to score shit easy.

That and the fact its a demo which normally has a fake ratting system.

You should not be able to get SSS rank by SPAMMING A SINGLE FUCKING COMBO. And yet, in the earlier boss vid, GUESS WHAT HAPPENS.

The combat is a thinly-veiled copy of Heavenly Sword, dumbed down as fuck, and is simply not proper DMC. It is yet another bad God of War clone with mechanics that were done far better in other DMC games. FULL. STOP.

Sorry for the rage, I'm just a tad annoyed that someone is actually trying to defend blatantly bad game mechanics. Ninja Theory were never very good at the actual game part of making games, the pretentious pricks.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

And with that the satirising of Fox News I now have two things about this game I like.

I think Vergil's the only good thing I like in this game.

While the game itself is looking kinda "ehhh", especially for a DMC prequel..reboot...thing, I can say one thing good this game's got, and it's style. The level designs are colorful and chaotic, and just plain cool to look at. Even the news corp boss fight is EXTREMELY fascinating to watch, and pretty clever at times (especially the part of the fight that's portrayed as a helicopter news report, with narration and everything). At least if the game blows, we get some decent eye candy!

... New Dante's gotta work on his wisecracks though. He's kinda not very good at it. At all.

As for Vergil, his general appearance has definitely changed, but it's not bad at all. The snazzy Wesker hairdo and a fancy coat suit him, and it's a relief he's still got his sword (he's fared better design-wise than Dante has, that's for sure) Wonder if he'll be unlockable as a playable character...

... Gosh dang, when is this game supposed to come out anyway? It feels like it's been FOREVER since it was announced, and I'm kinda ready for it to get out there and over with already. DX

Vergil kind of looks like his design was a composite sketch based on someone describing him to the artist. It is kind of funny to see the impact of this game's backlash on character designs. Wow that looks so off. Reminds me of a dream I once had where everyone I knew had been replaced with comically bad impostures.

Runnning! grab a thing Runnning! grab a thing Runnning! grab a thing

I wasn't into this stuff in previous DMC games and I've never seen them go on for as long as this. And then Dante uses the same joke again, almost as if he was disappointed no one was around to see his almost funny quip from before.

And then he zooms into the guy's eye and the funny thing happens with the camera and it's kind of interesting but then it keeps happening and while it's happening you're just beating up regular dudes and their O'REilly parody just keeps talking at you.

Edited by Phos

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I have very little to add to the conversation since I haven't followed the development and such, but I think Vergil looks like Anderson Cooper.... That's a pretty big plus to me.

And with that I'll show myself out.