Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I think the Sonic series could pull off dark humor if it wanted to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does it have to be limited to humor? any other emotion/genre could be pulled off to some degree if they do it well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why does it have to be limited to humor? any other emotion/genre could be pulled off to some degree if they do it well.

I never said it had to be limited to humor. That's just what came to mind.

This has been proven by several of Sonic Colors' announcements. Eggman's making light of entire plant and animal species going extinct, or people dying from oxygen starvation, or people exploding due to depressurisation. Comedic sociopathy at its finest.

The peel out style running is so iconic and Sega never uses it.  

Really? It was in, like, one game.

It's not that a darker spin on the series couldn't work in any conceivable way, but I actually like the light-hearted approach it's going for right now the best.

Ironically, enough, though, my main criticism for ShTH is that it's not dark enough, or rather, they try to be dark and then pull out at showing any sort of darkness.  Oh, look!  We have Shadow shooting humans... but never killing them.  Oh, look, we have him deliberately doing evil... but it only counts story-wise if you do good.  See what I'm getting at here?  I mean, bad plot choices aside, nothing you do is ever of consequence unless it's what they want you to do.  If they want to make a gritty Shadow game, then make a gritty Shadow game, but don't go half-way in and half-way out.  Otherwise, it's just pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohhh there's one.

I hated that they never showed Shadow killing Sonic in ShTH. Implied in one part yes but nowhere near as obvious as the fact Eggman dies in THREE of the ten endings. I mean c'mon.

Oh, and the fact Shadow never fought Sonic one on one in that. The whole point of a rivalry is you get a point where they try to bash eachother's skulls in! Blood for the Blood Hog!

I'm not bothered that they didn't have the balls for their fanboy bait newbie to kill their mascot character, but yeah, not even having a proper fight was a total waste.

Honestly a Shadow game could've been legitimately interesting, if they didn't balls it up in several ways. Cut the stupid aliens, cut the guns, and you've got a game about a superpowered amnesiac questioning his existence and his purpose, fighting the grandson of the guy that created him, and butting heads with his do-gooder doppelganger. Still a bundle of cliches, maybe, but potentially interesting ones, that actually address things that are important to the series, rather than spending a whole game waiting for a bunch of shitty aliens to go away forever.

• Thumbs Up 9

Really? It was in, like, one game.

Yeah, but I see it all the time in fan works, and unlike the wheel-o-feet style run, the super peel out is unique to Sonic.  

I have to agree. As of now, in most games in the franchise there isn't much emotion between the characters, let alone the plot.

This has been proven by several of Sonic Colors' announcements. Eggman's making light of entire plant and animal species going extinct, or people dying from oxygen starvation, or people exploding due to depressurisation. Comedic sociopathy at its finest.

In comparison to other media, rather extremlely light hearted in comparison.

The peel out style running is so iconic and Sega never uses it.  

Isn't that what the spin dash is supposed to be?

Fan Characters

Fan fiction

the idea to remake Sonic 06

Gameinformer's attitude to sonic

4kids censoring

the lack of closure in Sonic 4, Episode 2's ending

That's what I can think of at the top of my head.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fan fiction

Um... would you mind elaborating on why this bugs you for whatever reason?

Yeah, fanfiction isn't really all that bad.

It's just that all the bad ones eclipse the good ones.

Um... would you mind elaborating on why this bugs you for whatever reason?

Meh..... Sonic related fan fiction just makes me cringe every time I hear about it. I'm sorry for offending anyone that spends time creating fan fics, but it just isn't my thing. Don't mind me, I just find them irritating. If you enjoy reading and creating fan fics, then more power to you. 

Fan fiction isn't really bad. My problem with them now is that I have to dig and really search through all the crappy fan fics to find the good stories that has a lot of effort put into them. It seems like on FF.net alot of authors writes anything and only do it for reviews and praise.

I don't care for fan-fiction and a lot of fan-works like art or games, regardless of quality or the original series. It's just not the same thing. But why the mere existence of fan-works of any kind would bother you is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fan fiction isn't really bad. My problem with them now is that I have to dig and really search through all the crappy fan fics to find the good stories that has a lot of effort put into them. It seems like on FF.net alot of authors writes anything and only do it for reviews and praise.

Oh I quite agree. Finding a truly amazing Sonic fanfic is like finding a shipwreck full of treasure in a sea of sheer mediocrity, very rare.

Edited by Vertekins

I don't care for fan-fiction and a lot of fan-works like art or games, regardless of quality or the original series. It's just not the same thing. But why the mere existence of fan-works of any kind would bother you is beyond me.

Pretty much what I was about to type.

Like I said a few pages back, sure there's a lot of vapid and (to put it kindly) strange fan works out there, but as long as I'm not being nagged to read to it, then I don't mind their existence.  The same for fan characters, though even bad fan characters are more funny than annoying to me.

Actually, I could go on a rant about how much I hate it when people nag me to read their fan fiction/fan comic/whatever.  I don't have that problem much anymore, but back in the day, all of my friends and their uncle's pets wanted me to read their fan fiction.  Now, I don't mind reading and giving constructive critcism on a small piece or whatever, but it's not like I don't have anything else I want and need to do with my time.  Naturally, it's never a small piece that they want me to read, it's always almost half a novel's worth of material.  Even that wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have so many people at the time asking me to read it.

But thats not really Sonic-related, as it could apply to any community.

Honestly a Shadow game could've been legitimately interesting, if they didn't balls it up in several ways. Cut the stupid aliens, cut the guns, and you've got a game about a superpowered amnesiac questioning his existence and his purpose, fighting the grandson of the guy that created him, and butting heads with his do-gooder doppelganger. Still a bundle of cliches, maybe, but potentially interesting ones, that actually address things that are important to the series, rather than spending a whole game waiting for a bunch of shitty aliens to go away forever.

Indeed.

The aliens were just totally unnecessary given how it's been established how brilliant the Robotnik family is. Why would he need assistance? He surely had Chaos Emeralds on hand for his research... and with that level of power and brilliance, he could have made Shadow entirely on his own. I mean, Eggman does some amazing things with emeralds and he has them very briefly. Gerald, for all we know, had emeralds for years thanks to government backing. That aliens were necessary boggles the mind.

In comparison to other media, rather extremlely light hearted in comparison.

Well it's all in presentation. When genocide is presented with anger or hatred, it rings off "evil." When it's presented with a very aloof character, it's comedic. The reason for this is simple: we associate it with something bad, so hearing someone be so nonchalant about it tickles many folks' funny bones. Had Eggman been more up front and serious about driving species to extinction it likely wouldn't have been quite as funny. He was treating it the same as any other event in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but I see it all the time in fan works, and unlike the wheel-o-feet style run, the super peel out is unique to Sonic.  

That doesn't make it iconic.

The peelout move's iconic status is limited to the comics and fandom at large, I think. As was mentioned the games didn't really make much use of it... but you can see no shortage of the move in comic strips and such.

Oh. I don't read the comics.

Not many do, was just mentioning that I've seen it used to illustrate Sonic's running far more in that than any other medium. It's a convenient and easy way to show one's speed I guess. Draw a Mobius strip that's red and gold... oh ho ho, I just realised there's a hidden pun here.

Isn't that what the spin dash is supposed to be?

It's the figure 8 run.  

Rather interestingly, if you look at the Sonic CD sprite closely you can see that his feet form a Möbius.  

That doesn't make it iconic.

It was apparently iconic enough to show up in Smash Bros.