Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Alright I can concede it's a decent speed running tool, but not much to people who aren't into that type of thing which leads back to what Prof. J was saying. Outside of speerunning, it's a fairly bland move with little use outside of context sensitive ones. This can apply to most of the abilities in the Modern games actually, most of them don't find much use outside of their specific areas. Except for the boost ironically enough.

You could make a fusion of the bounce and stomp by making it so when you press the button, you stomp, and you hold the button to bounce. Best of both worlds. 

The shilling and sueification of Sally Acorn in the comics.

perfectprincess-2.png

Seriously, what is it with this comic's writers (With the possible exception of Karl Bollers) and their penchant for painting Sally as this perfect or borderline-perfect individual? What is it about this character that inspires this and contributes to writer's inability to portray her in a flawed light without other characters comforting her actions such as Khan? Don't they realize that they're not fooling a lot of the fans and are portraying her in an incredibly unlikeable light when they sueify their pet character?

I like Sally. I like her a lot. But her portrayal's in the comics hardly ever do her a favor due to unrealistic emotion and gratuitous character shilling.

That blog post is out of context, though, and will remain until Archie gets their shit together and get the blogs back online; but the point of it was to compare both sides- the public (in-book) image of Sally as perfect, and then another post showing her shortcomings. Don't remember anyone screencapping THAT one, though. Wonder why.

• Thumbs Up 1

That blog post is out of context, though, and will remain until Archie gets their shit together and get the blogs back online; but the point of it was to compare both sides- the public (in-book) image of Sally as perfect, and then another post showing her shortcomings. Don't remember anyone screencapping THAT one, though. Wonder why.

Because it disappeared quickly and when said blog was online, the flaws listed were not crippling ones but sympathetically-described ones and not detrimental to the character and was therefore YET ANOTHER example of shilling.

Edited by Vertekins

They're not coins! They are rings! THEY ARE CLEARLY FUCKIN' RINGS!

You know, just the other day I said rings when I meant coins. It goes both ways. XD

The point of the Stomp in speedrunning the modern games is to kill air time so you can hit the ground and boost off rather than essentially hovering around in one spot as Sonic falls to the ground. A bounce attack, no matter how well-implemented physically, cannot fulfill this purpose because it's going to throw you back in the air again, thus it's not a perfectly equatable replacement for the Stomp in this role.

This is a fair point that needs considering. If the bounce just makes you fall it doesn't feel like a bounce either... whole point of the move is he becomes a basketball.

You could make a fusion of the bounce and stomp by making it so when you press the button, you stomp, and you hold the button to bounce. Best of both worlds. 

Hmm, if done right this could work. My main concern would be that people would probably accidentally hold it too long and bounce more.

But it's a minor detail I think that'd be readily corrected.

I know it's been said a million times already, but it annoys me when people make their fan characters but it's really just a recolored Sonic character. Especially the ones that look like their wasn't even really any work put into the recoloring.

I know it's been said a million times already, but it annoys me when people make their fan characters but it's really just a recolored Sonic character. Especially the ones that look like their wasn't even really any work put into the recoloring.

I was very guilty of this back in the day. Then I realized I couldn't make a Mobian hedgehog without it looking like a recolor so I just gave up.

We can actually see a root to the oversaturation. Each person on their own wishes to have a Sonic character; hedgehogs are cool, so they go with that. It's just one more hedgehog so it won't hurt, right? Then you have a million other fans deciding the same thing. Behold, hedgehog havoc.

SEGA certainly hasn't helped with mass hedgehog syndrome either. Three of the six main characters are hedgehogs, and Knuckles is close to one as well. The precedent's been set you need to be spiky to get anywhere...

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what else is annoying?

When it's SEGA themselves who do it:

230px-Rush_eggman_nega.png

Mephiles_the_DarkST.PNG

But I've actually designed a fancharacter myself. You can see it on my DeviantArt. But I've since decided that it's fucking terrible, so only go there if you want to see the terror of Stingers the Scorpion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mephiles_the_DarkST.PNG

But I've actually designed a fancharacter myself. You can see it on my DeviantArt. But I've since decided that it's fucking terrible, so only go there if you want to see the terror of Stingers the Scorpion.

Let's not pin culpability on just SEGA when Archie are a just as bad or an even worse offender;

Blog_Scourge.jpg149626-190423-brotherhood-of-guard_largeLi_moon.png

Edited by Vertekins

You've got some kind of rage-boner for Scourge, don't you? I mean why just drag Archie into all this. Isn't it a bit petty? Bah.

I'll agree with you, by the way. It's been a problem Archie's had for a long time, and one they're working on solving. Just disagree on the specific example of Scourge. But I seem to recall there was already lots of typed words about that some months ago.

Edited by Captain Harlock

Personally I think giving Tails a red paintjob and some (small) boobs for Fiona Fox was a marvel of designing and must've took them at least 10 whole seconds to think of.

Also that photo of the Echidnas looks like they literally copy-and-pasted Knuckles twenty times and added an extra detail or two, lulz.

• Thumbs Up 1

You've got some kind of rage-boner for Scourge, don't you? I mean why just drag Archie into all this. Isn't it a bit petty? Bah.

No, I'm pointing out the fact that he's a recolour. The fact that he's an utterly shit parody of recolours is for another topic. Nothing petty about dragging Archie into it when it's completely relevant to the point Spin made.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also that photo of the Echidnas looks like they literally copy-and-pasted Knuckles twenty times and added an extra detail or two, lulz.

It's pretty much what they did. It's also done ten years ago by a writer/artist known everywhere for being useless.

Yes, Archie did a shitload of recolours or simple edits of templates. They've also beaten SEGA in designing stuff with more variety for the last 2, 3 years.

They were also pretty good at fleshing out existing, but little developed characters, like Mighty, Ray, Nack, even Heavy and Bomb to some extent. Their original stuff varied in quality, however they were decent at developing existing characters(heck Shard can be considered a decent combo of both

Personally I think giving Tails a red paintjob and some (small) boobs for Fiona Fox was a marvel of designing and must've took them at least 10 whole seconds to think of.

Fiona isn't in Verte's post...

Fiona isn't in Verte's post...

I know, I was just throwing it out there that there's another one everyone skipped over...

Fiona-Fox-fiona-the-fox-31843910-300-506

...ta-dah!

Isn't it just inspiring?!?

Edited by Starscream

I dunno, I go pretty far with that assessment by comparing Sonic to Shadow.

Sonic with a black dye and red highlights with the spikes reversed. There, instant new character.

Yeah, Fiona looks a lot like Tails because, surprise surprise, they're both foxes.

And they HAVE been working on distinguishing them further, although maybe that'd be accomplished easier if they had Ben Bates do the design work and not Yardley!. Fiona has a recognizable sillhouette, pallette, and design- only shares the muzzle with Tails, and muzzles are what's most commonly shared amongst Sonic characters.

EDIT: And the ears too, but they're common ears

Edited by Captain Harlock

Mephiles_the_DarkST.PNG

I'm not so sure Nega is the best example. He's supposed to be Eggman's counterpart, alike in every way but Nega lacks Eggman's redeeming qualities. And his design is based on Classic Eggman's. Mephiles though... SEGA dropped the ball there. Having him take on Shadow's appearance through his shadow wouldn't have been too bad if it were only temporary. But they he transformed himself into a crystalline version that was just lame.

Blaze is meant to be Sonic's counterpart. They look little alike.

Marine is meant to be Tails's counterpart. They look little alike.

Nega is meant to be Eggman's counterpart. He's a downright palette swap.

I can make a red Sonic and justify it by saying he's from another dimension, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the design is downright lazy and unimaginative.

And the Classic Eggman homage is moot now that we actually have Classic Eggman.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Managing to make a Mobian who doesn't look like anyone else of the same species has always been a strange and mysterious art.

I think it may be part of the human psyche having a natural bias towards that which it knows. When you hear another language, you probably don't recognise the dialects; if you spoke that language, however, you'd probably be able to tell the dialects apart. I think physical appearance has a similar weakness: we can tell humans apart pretty easy, but the Mobian race tends to blend together very easily.

Think about it: if dogs are of the same breed you'll probably have difficulty telling them apart barring fur patterns. And since Mobians tend to have fur coats that are of an idealised perfect color or pair of colors, bingo, you end up with identity issues. Contrast to a human who will have a variety of clothes and then a variety of facial structures; most Mobians have the same circular face with a bunch of stuff jutting out of it.

There just seems to be less room for variety in Mobian design which ends up creating quite a conundrum.

I can make a red Sonic and justify it by saying he's from another dimension, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the design is downright lazy and unimaginative.

Blaze isn't Sonic's counterpart.

Tails isn't Marine's counterpart.

Eggman Nega is Eggman's counterpart.

Nega's design isn't the best and I think they could have done something much better. But I can't complain. He's exactly what he's supposed to be.

Also it's not his throwback-outfit isn't a moot point because Classic Eggman wasn't a part of the existing series back when Nega was made.

Notice how none of the characters you compared besides Nega are of the same species?

Edited by Soniman

Think about it: if dogs are of the same breed you'll probably have difficulty telling them apart barring fur patterns. And since Mobians tend to have fur coats that are of an idealised perfect color or pair of colors, bingo, you end up with identity issues. Contrast to a human who will have a variety of clothes and then a variety of facial structures; most Mobians have the same circular face with a bunch of stuff jutting out of it.

There just seems to be less room for variety in Mobian design which ends up creating quite a conundrum.

Two Hedgehog's in the games;

2ccqtev.png

Two Cats in the games;

214z13p.png

Two Echidna's in the games;

2vhydu0.png

Big and Blaze are a particularly good example of playing with body shape and facial features to make two characters of the same species look distinctive whilst still being feline. Whilst Amy's and Tikal's designs are very good at putting across femininity via their softer, less serious-looking expressions and less 'rugged' features compared to the boys of their species. Amy may not look explicitly like a Hedgehog but then you can chalk that up to a mix of wanting to look different and partly due to intentional dimorphism.

• Thumbs Up 3

Blaze isn't Sonic's counterpart.

Tails isn't Marine's counterpart.

Eggman Nega is Eggman's counterpart.

Nega's design isn't the best and I think they could have done something much better. But I can't complain. He's exactly what he's supposed to be.

Also it's not his throwback-outfit isn't a moot point because Classic Eggman wasn't a part of the existing series back when Nega was made.

Blaze wears high heeled shoes that look like Sonic's shoes. She uses the Sol Emeralds to become more powerful. It's obvious she's Sonic's counterpart.

Marine is (trying to be) a mechanic. She also acts like a sidekick to Blaze. It's fairly obvious that she's Tails's counterpart.

Iizuka's gone back and said at Sonic Boom 2012: "uh, Nega is Eggman's descendant. Ignore that counterpart stuff."

And my point still stands: you can try to justify shit, but it'll still be shit. Taking Eggman, recolouring him in Paint and saying "oh he's from an alternate dimension so that's ok" is on par with Cinos the Hedgehog and friends.

Edited by Spin Attaxx