Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Nope, I'll side with you on that. Equally annoying is when people seem to forget SA1 ever existed on the Dreamcast. The History of Sonic book only used screenshots of SADX, even when talking about the original DC version.

• Thumbs Up 2

The UK GM presents mag did that too. What, just because they were ported the originals don't exist anymore?!

• Thumbs Up 1

A pet-peeve of mine is when people say "sonic unleashed day stages is a racing gaem lol", even if they are serious or joking. It's not funny, and it's just as clever as saying Sonic Colors is a 2D game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope, I'll side with you on that. Equally annoying is when people seem to forget SA1 ever existed on the Dreamcast. The History of Sonic book only used screenshots of SADX, even when talking about the original DC version.

Kind of on the same tangent, it annoyed me a little that the digital releases of the two Adventure games weren't the original versions at all but the GC ports. I miss some of the aspects of the DC originals. I also find it kind of peeving how they make you pay for the 'upgrade' to DX/Battle when all this adds is stuff that was originally present in the versions that these two digital releases virtually are.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know. I don't feel like I'm playing SA2 or 1 when I'm on the HD ports because they used the GC graphics. It's especially evident in SA1, where the graphics difference is far more obvious. They may as well have called them SADX and SA2B: HD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of on the same tangent, it annoyed me a little that the digital releases of the two Adventure games weren't the original versions at all but the GC ports. I miss some of the aspects of the DC originals. I also find it kind of peeving how they make you pay for the 'upgrade' to DX/Battle when all this adds is stuff that was originally present in the versions that these two digital releases virtually are.

It made sense to release the GCN versions really, especially in the case of SADX where they ported the PC version to 360 (and then for some reason ported the 360 port back to PC for Steam...). But I agree that it was annoying to have them pegged as the originals. SA1 looks far superior on DC, while the SA2 has better Chao Gardens on DC. 

A pet-peeve of mine is when people say "sonic unleashed day stages is a racing gaem lol", even if they are serious or joking. It's not funny, and it's just as clever as saying Sonic Colors is a 2D game.

Eh, Generations and Unleashed have many, many aspects that make make them feel more like racers than platformers or anything else. In the same way, Colours is predominately 2D. I'm not trying to be funny or clever in saying either of those things. It's pretty much just fact.

And actually I'd quite enjoy an Unleashed/Generations style racer.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

It made sense to release the GCN versions really, especially in the case of SADX where they ported the PC version to 360 (and then for some reason ported the 360 port back to PC for Steam...). But I agree that it was annoying to have them pegged as the originals. SA1 looks far superior on DC, while the SA2 has better Chao Gardens on DC. 

I would've been very happy if they ported the DC version and then offered the GC port as the optional upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody said they shouldn't have ported the GC version. It's annoying that they released the GC versions and tried to pass them off as the originals.

Edited by Blue Streamer

I would've been very happy if they ported the DC version and then offered the GC port as the optional upgrade.

That's not as simple as it sounds, because they're effectively two separate games. Character models, textures, levels, lighting, collision and all manner of other things were changed. The least they could have done was a character model swap in buying the DLC, or an option to switch between the DC and GCN ones.

Nobody said they shouldn't have ported the GC version. It's annoying that they released the GC versions and tried to pass them off as the originals.

I didn't say otherwise tongue.png

Edited by Blue Blood

Fair enough, each to his own.

Also, when people are arguing over things such as Sonic's top speed, and completely disregard the different continuities. For example:

P1: Sonic's top speed is 765 mph!

P2: NO, in the comics he's faster than the speed of light!

P1:No, that's impossible (lists reasons why)

*Stupid pointless fight begins,*

So it's fairly accurate but you just don't like it? 'cause Colors is really only the bare minimum of 3D...

• Thumbs Up 5

So it's fairly accurate but you just don't like it? 'cause Colors is really only the bare minimum of 3D...

Well, it still has 3D segments, and most of the gameplay trailers showed 3D parts, so I see what he means personally. 

Well, it still has 3D segments, and most of the gameplay trailers showed 3D parts, so I see what he means personally. 

What they showed in the trailers really has no bearing on things, and as for "has 3D segments", that's kind of what I mean; the extent of it being 3D is a handful of barebones 3D sections that barely have an impact on the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 4

I recall many of the wisp sections and a lot of Tropical Resort being in 3D. To me, Sonic Colours is a 3D game. The DS version is 2D to me tongue.png

The 3D parts of Colours are in short supply compared to the 2D parts, don't last nearly as long and it's a sturggle to call them 3D when all you do is run forward in the straight line:

From 0:40 to 0:58 there's an 18 second long 3D section where all you do is hold forward or boost, with literally nothing else to possibly do to progress. The last 6 seconds of the level are also a straight line in 3D. If anything, that's just 1 dimensional gameplay.

The 3D parts of Colours are in short supply compared to the 2D parts, don't last nearly as long and it's a sturggle to call them 3D when all you do is run forward in the straight line:

From 0:40 to 0:58 there's an 18 second long 3D section where all you do is hold forward or boost, with literally nothing else to possibly do to progress. The last 6 seconds of the level are also a straight line in 3D. If anything, that's just 1 dimensional gameplay.

Fair enough. But in my eyes, Sonic Colours is a 3D game.happy.png

I recall many of the wisp sections and a lot of Tropical Resort being in 3D. To me, Sonic Colours is a 3D game. The DS version is 2D to me tongue.png

Even in the few cases where the game does go into 3D, there's barely anything to do in it. Either you just run, drift, quick step, or use a wisp (and usually only one of those per 3D section) until it ends. The meat of the game is in the 2D sections; that's pretty much inarguable.

What also backs-up Colours' fixation with 2D gameplay is the fact that most of the Wisp's usable in the Wii version can only be used in 2D (Drill, Spikes, Cube and Rocket). And even for the Wisps that can be used in 3D are far, far more often used on the 2D plane than they are on the 3D one.

True, true, but Sonic Colours still had 3D parts, no matter how small and infrequent they are. Plus, the final boss and all of Terminal Velocity are in 3D.

Edited by Blue Streamer

True, true, but Sonic Colours still had 3D parts, no matter how small and infrequent they are.

But is that enough to make it "a 3D game"? Should we call Unleashed "a 2D game" because it has 2D areas (and more frequently and more significantly than Colors has 3D areas, even)?

Plus, the final boss and all of Terminal Velocity are in 3D.

A zone that's only 1.5 acts and a boss long, that's entirely forced running, and almost entirely focused on quick stepping. This isn't really helping your point.

e: and how do you call Colors DS a 2D game when it has

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

But is that enough to make it "a 3D game"? Should we call Unleashed "a 2D game" because it has 2D areas (and more frequently and more significantly than Colors has 3D areas, even)?

No, I'm not saying that at all. What I AM saying is that no matter how much you disagree, I will always view Colours as a 3D game, no matter how warped you think my view is. I'm not saying i'm right, i'm not saying you're wrong. But it is a matter of opinion. And mine clearly differs from yours.

I quite clearly am interested in a discussion, or i WOULDN'T bother posting. What i'm saying is you clearly have some kind of inability to register that people have different opinions to you.

I quite clearly am interested in a discussion,

No you're not. You're dead set on keeping your pre-established opinion regardless of what facts or arguments you hear. You've decided to kill any kind of meaningful discussion on the matter before it even happens.

What i'm saying is you clearly have some kind of inability to register that people have different opinions to you.

I am fully aware that you have a different opinion than me. What I'm asking is for you to discuss it, rather than simply shouting that you have it.