Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

The irony is, some videos showing aspects of game development did prove that they were using Sonic X model sheets to base the characters designs off-of. This also explains why Sonic and Amy's palettes correlate exactly with the palettes used for them in the show. Interestingly, Sonic X inspired Eggman's behavior in this game as one of the developers actually said that what he did in episodes 40 and 41 of Sonic X were a basis for his deviousness.

I suppose there isn't something inherently wrong with writers taking interest in ideas from other continuities, It doesn't exactly rustle my jimmies knowing Sonic loves chilli dogs now.  

Buuuut,considering what Bioware actually produced it seems to me that they weren't so much looking for ideas 'from other continuities' so much as thinking everything was canon to the games in the first place, It's kind of hard to explain, but using Sonic X as basis for how character look and act in the game continuity is the kind of thing that raises the red flags.

It like what I said about fanfics that claim to be based on one continuity/canon (in this case the game canon) only to be complete headcanon.

Edited by Mysterics

Eggman also has those bar and box things on the back of his clothing which are missing here;

wrongjacket.png

Rouge's heart ornament things are at the toe of her shoe, not like this;

289apox.png

and the oblong-shapes on the backs of the soles that are on Sonic's shoes are grey, not red;

25pnwrb.png

Knuckles does not have joined eyes like the Hedgehogs do unlike here;

joinedeyes.png

And Shade doesn't usually look like her eyes are attempting to migrate to her forehead;

weirdeyes.png

This is one of my pet peeves, too. If SEGA were to make a Sonic RPG, use someone COMPETENT, like Alphadream(Mario & Luigi) or the people who did Earthbound. 

FUN FACT: Sonic Adventure was originally Sonic RPG.

Okay, I know this is going to sound moronic because this is more of a problem with myself than it is anyone else, but...

Let me start by saying I'm not a game designer.  While I know that there's more that goes into a game than what is seen at face value, I don't know the massive amounts of work that goes on behind-the-scenes and honestly I'm not too interested in knowing because that's not my aspiration.  I also want to point out that I'm actually not under the mindset that the quality of Sonic games is going increasingly downhill.  Granted, I have my own problems with the direction the series is going, but I know that I may never play that Sonic game that makes me feel like it's the mid- to late-90's again, and perhaps as such, my patience for even the most grating problems with Sonic is very generous.  But boy do I hate it when...

People try to defend the completely valid criticism about "bad physics" (i.e. in Sonic 4) by saying that "SANIC NEVER OBAYS DAW LERS OF FISICS AND HES NAT RELISTIC!"  Okay, again, this is more of a me problem, because, as I am not a programmer, I'm not very good at explaining things.  So I hate when I feel that I have to try to explain that 'physics' doesn't necessarily refer to the realism of the title, but the gameplay engine's interpretation of worldly movement.  See, to a lot of people here that might make a lot of sense, but to people who don't know even the slightest fragment of game development terminology, it can be next to impossible for me to explain properly.

So yes, it's defiitely more of a problem with me and my limited vocabumalary or what have you, but it really annoys me because whenever someone makes that sort of defense, I'll have to groan and attempt to explain it, knowing fully well that the message won't be perceived.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate it when people who are of the mindset that the Sonic series hasn't been good since SA2 shun the newer games and defend the older games by saying a sentence similar to the following:

"Unleashed, Colors, and Generations are all tripe, because they rely on a stupid, faulty gameplay engine to do what Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 mastered without a gameplay engine!"

I'll let you guys figure out for yourselves what's wrong with that statement.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Unleashed, Colors, and Generations are all tripe, because they rely on a stupid, faulty gameplay engine to do what Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 mastered without a gameplay engine!"

My brain hurts. They both need to have gameplay engines, otherwise there is no gameplay...

• Thumbs Up 3

People try to defend the completely valid criticism about "bad physics" (i.e. in Sonic 4) by saying that "SANIC NEVER OBAYS DAW LERS OF FISICS AND HES NAT RELISTIC!"  Okay, again, this is more of a me problem, because, as I am not a programmer, I'm not very good at explaining things.  So I hate when I feel that I have to try to explain that 'physics' doesn't necessarily refer to the realism of the title, but the gameplay engine's interpretation of worldly movement.  See, to a lot of people here that might make a lot of sense, but to people who don't know even the slightest fragment of game development terminology, it can be next to impossible for me to explain properly.

.In that case I would explain that Sonic games follow their own in-universe laws, some of laws are laws of physics,while not the same as ours they can't be randomly messed with for no reason whatsoever, just like 'Sonic is blue' can't be messed with for no reason whatsoever, he can still change; SuperSonic, Darkspine Sonic, just like how artificial gravity is used in some levels, but it's not random. 

Edited by Mysterics

.In that case I would explain that Sonic games follow their own in-universe laws, some of laws are laws of physics,while not the same as ours they can't be randomly messed with for no reason whatsoever, just like 'Sonic is blue' can't be messed with for no reason whatsoever, he can still change; SuperSonic, Darkspine Sonic, just like how artificial gravity is used in some levels, but it's not random.

This won't stop anyone, they'll just complain that you're nitpicking or something.

The real reason is that the physics and mechanics of a game exist to create a certain kind of gameplay. The physics of the Genesis Sonics help create a specific kind of gameplay that's fast and fluid, while the physics of games like S4 and Generations Classic do not.

People saying we already got SA3 in the form of 06, Rush adventure, and Unleashed absolutely irks me. Just because they share hub worlds and different play styles do not make them a sequel to SA2. That's like saying Metroid zero mission is super metroid 2.

Edited by Knightofthewind417

Zero Mission is explicitly a remake of the first game, though. It's more like saying Metroid Fusion is Metroid 4.

Which it is.

Zero Mission is explicitly a remake of the first game, though. It's more like saying Metroid Fusion is Metroid 4.   Which it is.
Indeed, but it reuses several gameplay aspects from super metroid.

Most Metroid games reuse several aspects from previous games. Because they're in the same series.

Do you have a specific point or just vague nonsense?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic '06 is Adventure 3 in all but name. Every single aspect that people love about Adventure 1 is in '06. 

What do SA1 and SA2 even have in common? Treasure hunting, shooting, chao gardens and character theme music. That's it.

Hub worlds? SA2 didn't have them.

Storylines? Not related

Settings? Nope.

Game structure? It's free picking in SA1 and forced in SA2.

So basically if you don't want to accept that either Heroes, Shadow, 06 or Unleashed could be Adventure 3 then surely you must just be clamouring for more Treasure Hunting and Shooting gameplay. And if that's not what you want then you should bloody well accept that we have plenty of games that are SA3 in all but name.

Tell me if you disagree, what is the Adventure series?

EDIT: typing up a post from an iPhone is absolute balls

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 5

You know, it somewhat niggles me that games like ShTH or Heroes don't get a little more respect. Granted, they're not dynamite or the best titles ever, but It itks me that some people think that there's nothing of any benafit to be taken from them.

Eh, nothing much I can be done to change that, I guess.

Edited by Paradise

They also both have intertwined narratives with multiple playable characters who have different styles of play, a more serious tone (SA2 mainly, even SA1 is quite silly at times), monsters for final bosses, and the Sonic moveset in SA2 is essentially the one in SA1 but with more abilities like the Bounce.

Quite small things, but definitely enough in common that at the very least part of it is consistent.

Otherwise, I quite agree with you, 06 is closer to Adventure 1 than Adventure 2 is in terms of game structure. These games aren't that consistent and anyone who says they are is probably in denial.

Edited by Semi-colon e

What do SA1 and SA2 even have in common? Treasure hunting, shooting, chao gardens and character theme music. That's it.

Hub worlds? SA2 didn't have them.

Storylines? Not related

Settings? Nope.

Game structure? It's free picking in SA1 and forced in SA2.

So basically if you don't want to accept that either Heroes, Shadow, 06 or Unleashed could be Adventure 3 then surely you must just be clamouring for more Treasure Hunting and Shooting gameplay. And if that's not what you want then you should bloody well accept that we have plenty of games that are SA3 in all but name.

Tell me if you disagree, what is the Adventure series?

EDIT: typing up a post from an iPhone is absolute balls

Even if any of those games had been called SA3, you'd still get people asking for 'the real SA3' because each one disappointed in some way. Or if they did accept any as a sequel, you'd only end up getting requests for 'SA4' instead.

I suppose if I were to imagine an SA3, it could simply involve the six characters that weren't Gamma, Eggman or Big from the Adventures, in some kind of large scale story. The different styles of gameplay were reduced between the first and second Adventure, so it wouldn't be illogical for it to disappear by the third installment (well, perhaps Knuckles and Rouge could still hunt for collectables on their way to the goal). There's what I miss about them myself, which is the character development and conflict. '06 was the only game to give it a shot, but it was missing the focus on the titular character, diversity in the cast, the sympathetic villain, the lighthearted moments and any personality to begin with.

This has probably already been mentioned, but having all the echidnas (and minor characters created by Penders) magically vanish from the comics is really farfetched and obviously a way to get the whole Penders case out of the way. =/ I hope they can solve this somehow in the upcoming issue, but I don't really know where the story is going now.

And what about Knuckles? He is going to be SO emo in future issues. ><

You know, it somewhat niggles me that games like ShTH or Heroes don't get a little more respect. Granted, they're not dynamite or the best titles ever, but It itks me that some people think that there's nothing of any benafit to be taken from them.

For Heroes, it's not the most brilliant of Sonic titles, the storyline may have been too cheesy (God I hate that word) even by Sonic standards and the controls might have been a little shonky, but it deserves far more respect than Shadow (which in turn deserves all the hate it gets, given that it kick-started the Dark Age of Sonic).

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like what, though? They may not be as bad as '06, but they're still terrible and lame, respectively, and it's hard to think of anything they did that's worth imitating. About the only thing I can think of is Heroes' team gimmick, in a very broad interpretation, might be useful (though as-is it's terrible).

Sonic Heroes is certainly not as bad as ShtH, but it's not great either. At least it was colourful (maybe a bit too  colourful ^^; ) and didn't have that DARK, plothole ridden storyline which pretty much ruined ShtH and Sonic 06.

This has probably already been mentioned, but having all the echidnas (and minor characters created by Penders) magically vanish from the comics is really farfetched and obviously a way to get the whole Penders case out of the way. =/ I hope they can solve this somehow in the upcoming issue, but I don't really know where the story is going now.

And what about Knuckles? He is going to be SO emo in future issues. ><

The story will not be solved in the upcoming issue, let me assure you...

Also the comic will just likely ignore him for a while, if past trends are anything to go by. 

What do SA1 and SA2 even have in common? Treasure hunting, shooting, chao gardens and character theme music. That's it. Hub worlds? SA2 didn't have them. Storylines? Not related Settings? Nope. Game structure? It's free picking in SA1 and forced in SA2. So basically if you don't want to accept that either Heroes, Shadow, 06 or Unleashed could be Adventure 3 then surely you must just be clamouring for more Treasure Hunting and Shooting gameplay. And if that's not what you want then you should bloody well accept that we have plenty of games that are SA3 in all but name. Tell me if you disagree, what is the Adventure series? EDIT: typing up a post from an iPhone is absolute balls
Multiple playable characters, greater emphasis on story, and chao gardens, I guess. Not a big fan of chao gardens, but they were a recurring element in the adventure series.

A recent peeve of mine is when the internet is quick to label any fandom with differing tastes as "unpleasable". I didn't know having different opinions on a similar subject makes us a bunch if whiny unpleasable brats, as if everyone in a given fandom is incapable of individual thought and should be like sheep go with the bandwagon. If I(or anyone) do not like a certain aspect of something that everyone else likes, then it just means we got different tastes, that's it. This generalizing attitude is the reason everyone looks down on the Sonic fanbase completely ignoring that this is true for damn near every fandom in existence. 

Yeah, fandoms can be unpleasable, but then again you can't please everyone at once, and it just means your fans have different interests that you should consider when making your next product. 

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 4

A recent peeve of mine is when the internet is quick to label any fandom with differing tastes as "unpleasable". I didn't know having different opinions on a similar subject makes us a bunch if whiny unpleasable brats, as if everyone in a given fandom is incapable of individual thought and should be like sheep go with the bandwagon. If I(or anyone) do not like a certain aspect of something that everyone else likes, then it just means we got different tastes, that's it. This generalizing attitude is the reason everyone looks down on the Sonic fanbase completely ignoring that this is true for damn near every fandom in existence. 

Yeah, fandoms can be unpleasable, but then again you can't please everyone at once, and it just means your fans have different interests that you should consider when making your next product. 

It's less having different opinions and more being an insufferable jerkass to other people for having different opinions that gets the fandom labeled as "Unpleasable". Ever since ShTH split the fandom even more than any other game (and getting it shattered around Sonic 06), that was precisely what the Sonic fandom did to each other, even here on the SSMB on the old board before it got wiped.

Really, ask an oldble like Nepenthe or Tornado about the existence of a "Sick of Shadow Fans" topic that Roarey locked before flat out deleting it and they'll have stories to tell of that topic, if not that whole period of members going at each other's throats and flaming one another.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whenever the words "unlpleasable fanbase" is brought up I tend to think it's in reference to an attempt to appeal to it in its entirety. Which, let's face it, just isn't possible, especially in one with as many divisions as this one. "He who chases two rabbits catches neither" as they say, and when you consider there's two main sects of the fanbase that directly contradict each other I don't really see the label as unreasonable as long as it's in that context.

That's not to say elements of the fanbase can't be addressed individually, of course. That's where the label kinda starts to break down.

Edited by The Cheese