Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

It was apparently iconic enough to show up in Smash Bros.  

Wow, two games. Clearly this Super-Peel Out was a staple of the series and neither I nor SEGA ever knew it.

After recently watching an LP of ShtH, the memories came flooding back to when I first played the game all those years ago. And how there was one thing that made NO sense to be in a Sonic game, and really pissed me off...

Mazes. Oh gawd, the mazes! The Doom, Lost Impact and Central City (to an extent) have a horrible maze-like design where you're running around aimlessly looking for the goal ring or the objectives. Hey SEGA, why didn't you give us a proper map screen or something? Or why not a radar to find people or enemies? That would have helped a lot!

Wow, two games. Clearly this Super-Peel Out was a staple of the series and neither I nor SEGA ever knew it.

I think you misunderstand the significance of smash bros in this context.  It's a big deal to make it into smash bros.  

I think you misunderstand the significance of smash bros in this context.  It's a big deal to make it into smash bros.  

While that is true, that's not to say that everything featured in Smash Bros. is memorable or particularly iconic.  Mario jumping with his fist in the air is "iconic" in a sense, but they not-too-hesitantly replaced that with spraying enemies down with FLUDD in Brawl.  Unless I missed a game, FLUDD was only used in one game and fan reception tends to be mixed on the subject of Sunshine in general.  Conversely, the Arwing is a classic staple of the Star Fox franchise and you never actually end up using it aside from the character entry animation for Fox in the original Smash Bros.  Instead, Fox's Final Smash allows him to summon the Land Master, which I'm sure only a few if any people outside the Star Fox fandome even knew what that was.  They may not be able to identify the Arwing by name, either, but they'd be more familiar with Fox flying in a space-fighter-jet-thingy than a tank.

Edited by Akito

While that is true, that's not to say that everything featured in Smash Bros. is memorable or particularly iconic.  Mario jumping with his fist in the air is "iconic" in a sense, but they not-too-hesitantly replaced that with spraying enemies down with FLUDD in Brawl. 

As I've mentioned before, it's even more iconic if one's read the comic books. It's used fairly often to illustrate running at high speeds... it's a nice exaggerated pose to represent the fact Sonic goes faster than pretty much everything besides light.

I'm assuming it's just one of those one-time things that became very, very popular and well-remembered. There have only been two Sonic Adventures, yet there's been multiple attempts at a third and countless requests for one. If something's memorable in some way, it doesn't matter how many appearances it makes.

But yes. It's an easy way to illustrate high speeds... particularly in a 2D minimum. It loses its flare in 3D since you see the character from behind... so it makes sense it never really saw much use after CD.

It's the figure 8 run.  

Rather interestingly, if you look at the Sonic CD sprite closely you can see that his feet form a Möbius.  

Damn, I'm such a dumbass.

I'm assuming it's just one of those one-time things that became very, very popular and well-remembered. There have only been two Sonic Adventures, yet there's been multiple attempts at a third and countless requests for one. If something's memorable in some way, it doesn't matter how many appearances it makes.

Yeah, there are only two games that go by the name "Sonic Adventure," but the Adventure-style formula is something that's been implemented and expanded upon in every main series game since then.  It's no different from the fact that although Super Mario 64 is a widely remembered classic and as such has been implemented and improved upon in most every main series game, there's only one game titled "Super Mario 64" (bar the DS port).

I love 99.9% of Sonic Games, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to start off negative here - but every game seems to have its little 'annoyances' in it that make me want to throw the controller. An example of this is the "button sequence pause" in Sonic Unleashed & Sonic Colors. This is where you need to push a sequence of buttons on your controller to either (a. advance faster (c. shoot down flying enemies in SU or (d. perform critical attack. My visual spacial deficts really mess me up on these actions. What's your nitpicks?

Perfect Dark Gaia's final "Screw You" button mash.

Time Eater's "That looks like a homing shot" earbash.

Silver's ball rolling part in Sonic 06. Dear god Werehog has NOTHING on that.

The fact the Colors bosses tended to repeat another boss. Only one that was fully refreshing was Egg Nega Wisp due to its assortment of challenges and being 100% different from the others.

Sonic 4 Episode I - everything's a rehash of classic titles. They fed this cow practically no grass and then milked it to death anyway.

Sonic Adventure 2 - the absurdity of the final battle with the other character; you have to either homing attack constantly and hope the poorly structured homing attack doesn't send you an on express trip off the ledge to Hell, or fall back and risk getting skewered to death by chaos energy.

The fickleness of SatBK's chivalry system;

243. Despised One; Dishonorable Title. Name given to a knight who has harmed those he is sworn to protect.

244. Chicken; Dishonorable Title. Name given to a knight who does not fight openly and honorably.

245. Weakling; Dishonorable Title. Name given to a novice who has taken a lot of damage.

246. Coward; Dishonorable Title. Name given to a novice who has little skill with a sword.

247. Ruffian; Dishonorable Title. Dishonorable title given to one who destroys objects with recklessness.

It is very easy to accidentally get these 'titles'. Whilst it is interesting how the game has a chivalry system and this is an indication of how tightly the game is programmed, it is a bit of an annoyance. It's like the game is telling me off for something that's too easy to do ._.

Edited by Vertekins

That one boss in Sonic Advance 2 with the picky hit-box. But's nothing compared to later in the fight when it has that hand that can KO you with one hit.

Ugh. So many lives drained that day first time playing it.

EDIT: On second thought, that's really not a nitpick, just an annoying boss. So, nevermind.

Edited by DarkLight

The ending of Silver's story in '06.

His opening looked gorgeous, but the ending... did they have time constraints? Because it's fuck-ugly. I mean look at the opeing and ending back to back:

It's like a freakish hybrid of CG backgrounds and movement but with the horrible in-game models what have no dentist.

Also, it sparked that stupid misconception of "Blaze went from da future to the Sol Dimension and became princess and guardian all of a sudden despite making no sens hurr durr".

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

But's nothing compared to later in the fight when it has that hand that can KO you with one hit.

Ah yes, the bitch-slap machine. That's got to be my nitpick - instant kill boss attacks. Cheap as hell.

• Thumbs Up 2

The length of Generations. It may be a pretty long game but I'm too good (maybe not).

Edited by Crash

The length of Generations. It may be a pretty long game but I'm too good.

No. It's definitely shorter than I would have liked, but still awesome.

In Sonic Adventure 2 the bounce attack and ring/light dash moves are mapped to the same button on the controller. This often means bouncing to my doom in a bottomless pit when trying to get a chain of rings with the light dash.

If both moves had been mapped to different buttons on the controller then this wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 2

The length of Generations. It may be a pretty long game but I'm too good (maybe not).

I don't think that's a nitpick. I think the short length of recent Sonic titles is a pretty big issue.

Mapping the Homing Attack back to the Jump button in Generations was kind of a peeve of mine. I always felt it made sense to map any maneuvers dependent on the jump away from it lest you start running into issues of accidentally triggering things. Plus, it was analogous in form to some extent with the Air Boost, essentially making one maneuver context-sensitive which I liked. Plus, I'd just gotten used to it like that. I always look like an idiot going back and forth between Unleashed and Generations.

Mapping the Homing Attack back to the Jump button in Generations was kind of a peeve of mine. I always felt it made sense to map any maneuvers dependent on the jump away from it lest you start running into issues of accidentally triggering things. Plus, it was analogous in form to some extent with the Air Boost, essentially making one maneuver context-sensitive which I liked. Plus, I'd just gotten used to it like that. I always look like an idiot going back and forth between Unleashed and Generations.

It really was strange how the homing attack shifted to the jump button, that is for certain. But it makes sense; this is how it was in the Adventure titles and I presume that this was intentional accordingly. It also opens up the ability to boost in mid-air, whereas before it would have just been a homing attack that will do nothing if there's no enemies for you to smash into.

I feel precisely the opposite. Not only did it go against the established tradition in EVERY OTHER 3D game where it was the jump button, but the fact it was mapped to the same button as the one where you go flying a million miles if you get it slightly wrong is just as bad as all the bounce/light dash shenanigans in SA2 and 06 imo. I was so happy with Colours and Generations mapping it to the jump again - Colours just has a double jump though, but Generations has a little air dash, so you're rarely likely to go flying into a pit.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel precisely the opposite. Not only did it go against the established tradition in EVERY OTHER 3D game where it was the jump button, but the fact it was mapped to the same button as the one where you go flying a million miles if you get it slightly wrong is just as bad as all the bounce/light dash shenanigans in SA2 and 06 imo. I was so happy with Colours and Generations mapping it to the jump again - Colours just has a double jump though, but Generations has a little air dash, so you're rarely likely to go flying into a pit.

I too am a fan of the homing attack mapped to the jump button. It's rather strange with Unleashed having a separate button for homing attack, and it took me a large while to get used to.

Decided to merge Shiro's topic with the major pet-peeves topic, since they both cover the same thing and it was no biggie. xP

Pet peeves: The Stomp and Slide moves.

Mostly because they're so bland. I really hoped that for Generations they'd replace the Stomp with the Bounce Attack and the slide with the Somersault (albeit more like Sonic Advance 2 so it goes directly into a sliding move), not exactly minor changes but it'd have made the gameplay at least some sort of blend between Adventure and Modern for nostalgia's sake. Plus the Bounce attack is infinitely more fun than the Stomp.

• Thumbs Up 1