Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

I clocked up around 95 hours on Platinum and gave up at having seen 365 Pokemon. D:

Around 60 hours on HeartGold now, own close to 200 Pokemon and still getting more.

I have about 235 Caught on HeartGold, but I've kinda stopped playing it for now.

Also, is that an official new battery? I got my brother a new third-party battery for his old DS Phat once, off of eBay. It was as good brand new out of the box as his 4-5-year-old DS original battery. D:

Nah it's third party. I haven't been able to test it yet, but it's charging. My DS was 5 years old and it was starting to last even shorter than it charged for ._.

Edited by SuperLink

Well, in that case even a rubbish third party battery will be better. XD

We're talking about 5 hours on a full charge, brand new 3rd party battery, from my experience.

You can actually get official batteries from Nintendo, although considering I've only had my DS a year and a half, I don't think I'll be needing a replacement any time soon (that and I'll probably have upgraded to the 3DS by the time the battery in my Lite dies, even if I don't get the 3DS for a year or two after launch).

But yeah, in HeartGold- I'm treading dangerously close to the point where I lose interest in Pokemon games. Once I've done everything regarding the plot (beat Red yesterday) and got all the obtainable-in-game legendaries (got Kyorge yesterday, going to borrow Groudon from my brother's Ruby cart to get Rayquaza, then I'm done for all in-game legendaries, too).

Then I basically just catch as many Pokemon as I can be bothered to, which usually wears thin once it comes to hard-to-get ones, or ones where I need to level up Pokemon to stupidly high levels (say, 40 or 50) to get them to evolve.

But yeah. Once getting new Pokemon starts feeling more like a chore than something fun, I usually start playing less. That took me two weeks for Platinum, and I'd say it's looking fairly similar for HeartGold, too. Give it another week and I'll probably not be playing this much, sadly. D: That said, Pokemon games are the sort of thing I'll play almost non-stop at first for a few weeks, then sort of dip in and out of for a bit every few months and make a bit more progress.

Well, in that case even a rubbish third party battery will be better. XD

We're talking about 5 hours on a full charge, brand new 3rd party battery, from my experience.

The seller promised "double battery life", so it can't be THAT bad. ._. I don't expect it to be double tbh, but I expect it to be very good.

But yeah, in HeartGold- I'm treading dangerously close to the point where I lose interest in Pokemon games. Once I've done everything regarding the plot (beat Red yesterday) and got all the obtainable-in-game legendaries (got Kyorge yesterday, going to borrow Groudon from my brother's Ruby cart to get Rayquaza, then I'm done for all in-game legendaries, too).

Then I basically just catch as many Pokemon as I can be bothered to, which usually wears thin once it comes to hard-to-get ones, or ones where I need to level up Pokemon to stupidly high levels (say, 40 or 50) to get them to evolve.

But yeah. Once getting new Pokemon starts feeling more like a chore than something fun, I usually start playing less. That took me two weeks for Platinum, and I'd say it's looking fairly similar for HeartGold, too. Give it another week and I'll probably not be playing this much, sadly. D: That said, Pokemon games are the sort of thing I'll play almost non-stop at first for a few weeks, then sort of dip in and out of for a bit every few months and make a bit more progress.

Not the complete same for me. It was fun on Platinum, and it's starting to feel like a chore on HG, but I think that's because I'd evolved/trained to death so recently in Platinum. The reason you didn't enjoy Platinum might be because you played Diamond/Pearl so much. Likewise, one of the reasons I'm not fully into HG is because no matter what people say, Gen 2 has aged. I was worried I was losing interest when I hardly played Fire Red and Emerald, but Diamond and especially Platinum fully rekindled my love for the series.

You might love Gen5 ^^

(got Kyorge yesterday, going to borrow Groudon from my brother's Ruby cart to get Rayquaza, then I'm done for all in-game legendaries, too).

I'm pretty sure that needs to be a Soul Silver Groudon to get Rayquaza so that won't work.

Edited by Blaziken

I'm pretty sure that needs to be a Soul Silver Groudon to get Rayquaza so that won't work.

Yeah both Earth legies need to be from the Embedded Tower. Getting a Groudon/Kyogre from Gen 3 won't do ^-^;

Yeah both Earth legies need to be from the Embedded Tower. Getting a Groudon/Kyogre from Gen 3 won't do ^-^;

Yeah, kinda sucks.

Also I've almost completed the Johto Dex now (need to trade some motherfuckers), and have all but 5 of the the Kanto pokemon entries. Hoenn and Sinnoh look pretty empty. Mostly because for both it's just wide gaps between one Pokemon. Harrrddd is this.

Just beat the E4 finally, and I was actually suprised. I pretty much destroyed the whole E4 besides Lance with hardly any effort.

My Team as of then:

Typhlosion (lvl 45)

Ampharos (lvl 44-45)

Gyarados (lvl 44-45)

Pidgeot (lvl 45)

Quagsire (lvl 45)

Sudowoodo (lvl 45-46)

Will: didn't stand a chance, just Discharged and Flamethrew his ass to oblivion.

Koga: see above.

Bruno: got so lucky in the circumstances I was in, Pidgeot tore through his Hitmontop and -Chan, but had to switch out because of his Onix and couldn't use Roost to recover from the Brave Birding. Quagsire had to take out the Onix, and unfortunately, his next Pokemon was Machamp. Damn, my Pidge is too weak to stand up to it's hits and I know it's got Rock Slide. So I finally got some good use out of Quag's Curse and Recover that I bred into him and was able to JUST BARELY build up a hard defense against even his most powerful Cross Chop. Once that ran out and the fear of getting hit by a Critical was gone I easily made quick work of him and his Hitmonlee.

Karen: Easy once I got past that ANNOYING Umbreon and it's ungodly defense. Houndour though could have easily destroyed me if I wasn't too careful since it got two Nasty Plots up. Luckly he wasn't a problem and was taken down easily.

Lance: DAMN he's hard. He was the only BOSS(Gym leaders and E4) that took me more than one try to beat, the first try was an absolute cock block. After having the most extreme luck, my Sudowoodo was able to kill 2 of his Dragons(the lvl 49's) due to them both missing a lot of their attacks, we were both down to our last Pokemon, my Gyarados, his Aerodactyl.

"Easy" I thought, "I'll just Ice Fang him and get me some epoc credits in no ti-"

"Aerodactyl used Thunder Fang"

"....."

"Gyarados fainted"

TbiOhUikSkfrvm7vyTIiqoi1o1_500.jpg

The second try did him in though; the end wasn't as close to the wire since I wisely Max Revive'd my Sudowoodo and Gyarados while Typhlosion held off his last Dragonite. I was lucky enough to take down his Aerodactyl while most of my Pokemon were still alive, mainly Sudowoodo.

Also a small question, is it worth giving Rock Gem to my Ampharos(knows Discharge and Signal Beam already), or should I stick to Thunder Wave?

And should I keep Charge or replace it with Light Screen?(for some reason it can't learn Reflect UNLESS it's breeded despite Reflect being a TM wtf?)

Edited by Black Spy

Also a small question, is it worth giving Rock Gem to my Ampharos(knows Discharge and Signal Beam already), or should I stick to Thunder Wave?

And should I keep Charge or replace it with Light Screen?(for some reason it can't learn Reflect UNLESS it's breeded despite Reflect being a TM wtf?)

Stick with thunder wave and give it light screen. Power gem and charge are pretty terrible moves.

Wow, Porygon-Z's walking sprite is horrendous, still not quite as bad as Weavile's though...

Alot of the non Kanto and Johto Pokémon walking sprites are pretty terrible sadly.

Edited by Blaziken

Nah it's third party. I haven't been able to test it yet, but it's charging. My DS was 5 years old and it was starting to last even shorter than it charged for ._.

Honestly, from all the third party components and utilities that I have bought as a substitute to Nintendo's very own official products, I have experienced a much, much better quality and simultaneously a (sometimes much) lower price than Nintendo's. It is quite surprising, yush.

Alot of the non Kanto and Johto Pokémon walking sprites are pretty terrible sadly.

Can't get over Latias'. What's with the black bits on her face? T_T

Groudon and Rayquaza look epic though.

PS I'm a little confused about my DS battery. It finished charging and I had to set my console name, date, time and birthday again, but everything else is the same? Like it still has all my WiFi Settings, Friend Codes and stuff. I was really worried I'd just lose it all. So far so good...

Well after trading lots between my SS and pearl I'm starting over.

I've just traded in my Cyndaquil for the Absol got in SS before I restarted. It is level 5 so there's nothing wrong with it. lol If I want a ghost pokemon soon I'll make sure it's newly hatched. lol

I hop I won't blaze through SS much this time around. Bugsy should be challanging for once! lol

Random fact: This time I named my rival after Marilyn Manson so I can finally beat him at something. lol

Edit: Awwww fuck! I forgot to take out my shiny japanese Honchkrow out of daycare before I deleted everything. D: Maybe that's why I was randomly depressed eariler....

Edited by Caligari

Anybody encounter any swarm Pokemon yet? I've been checking Prof. Oaks radio show every "day" and he just keeps talking about regular Pokemon.

PS I'm a little confused about my DS battery. It finished charging and I had to set my console name, date, time and birthday again, but everything else is the same? Like it still has all my WiFi Settings, Friend Codes and stuff. I was really worried I'd just lose it all. So far so good...

I think certain units and systems save part of their system configuration on certain type batteries (my videregående/tertinary school advanced graph calculator lost its Mario game when switching out the dead battery), whilst Friend Codes (unsure about Wi-Fi settings) seem to be saved on the actual game cartridges. =3

Anybody encounter any swarm Pokemon yet? I've been checking Prof. Oaks radio show every "day" and he just keeps talking about regular Pokemon.

First time I tuned into the Kanto radio, the Prof. Oak show thingy mentioned a swarm of pokemon somewhere, but I never actually checked it out yet. I was more into finding a Natu swarm to chain back on Diamond, but I gave up after never finding that swarm so I just transferred over a previously caught non-shiny Natu for my team (my shiny Xatu on Platinum is, like, level 70 or so, hence nay-nay). I already have a shiny Delcatty on my team anyways.

Edit:

Just beat the E4 finally, and I was actually suprised. I pretty much destroyed the whole E4 besides Lance with hardly any effort.

For me it was opposite. None of them were particularly easy, but I had an easier time with Champion Lance than with any of the Elite Four members, or so it felt anyhow.

I've had quite a lot, but I didn't really start listening to the radio show until I got all 16 Badges ^-^;

First time I tuned into the Kanto radio, the Prof. Oak show thingy mentioned a swarm of pokemon somewhere, but I never actually checked it out yet. I was more into finding a Natu swarm to chain back on Diamond, but I gave up after never finding that swarm so I just transferred over a previously caught non-shiny Natu for my team (my shiny Xatu on Platinum is, like, level 70 or so, hence nay-nay). I already have a shiny Delcatty on my team anyways.

I've had quite a lot, but I didn't really start listening to the radio show until I got all 16 Badges ^-^;

So they're only mentioned in Kanto? Jeez, I was planning on grinding B.P at the Battle Frontier to complete some of my Pokemon's movesets before I headed to Kanto. Guess getting to Kanto to soft reset for a Luvdisc swarm will be more convenient.

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind, you need the National Dex for swarms to appear! LUVDISC HERE I COME! Wait, no, apparently I CAN'T MANIPULATE THE SWARMS!

Also, on the subject of the radio, today the Hoenn sound's playin'. LOVE THE ROUTE 101 REMIX!

Edited by Black Spy

Edit: Awwww fuck! I forgot to take out my shiny japanese Honchkrow out of daycare before I deleted everything. D: Maybe that's why I was randomly depressed eariler....

>.> How did you forget that? Sorry

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind, you need the National Dex for swarms to appear! LUVDISC HERE I COME! Wait, no, apparently I CAN'T MANIPULATE THE SWARMS!

Yeah you can, it's just tedious.

You have to set the clock blah blah blah, except you have to save your game every time.

So, I managed to Beat all the Kanto Gym Leaders, Caught Raikou, Ho-oh, Latias and Suicune. Currently at the Whirl Islands trying to catch Lugia, tough I think I may have to stock up on Ultra/Dusk balls. He is quite a Bitch to Catch.

Seriously, I had him at the Red Bar and Paralysed and he still Managed to escape being caught, Thats Bullshit!

Maybe I should use Ho-oh against Him, Just for Fun.

also, since I told the Tinychat I would post it here, Here is the TL;DR Epic Story of How I unintentionally encountered Latias (Feel free to Ignore everyone that Isn't me).

[23:55] notninja_shark: Oh Yes Pokemons

[23:55] notninja_shark: So...

[23:55] caligari: I'll run a runthrough

[23:55] daisoku: What pokemon will YOU ride, Virgo?

[23:56] notninja_shark: There i was on the cycling road

[23:56] caligari: I got a pokemon game on emulator

[23:56] notninja_shark: and I saw that grass patch

[23:56] caligari: ***Click here to view my desktop***

[23:56] daisoku: ooo this is intense

[23:56] notninja_shark: and i thought "I Catch some Pokemans"

[23:56] notninja_shark: then Battle Music

[23:56] notninja_shark: Extra Flashy

[23:56] notninja_shark: and I thougt "Oooh Flashy"

[23:56] notninja_shark: Suddenly

[23:56] notninja_shark: Latias

[23:56] notninja_shark: only one of them

[23:57] notninja_shark: and I thought "OHSHI-"

[23:57] caligari: Happy now

[23:57] caligari: You can see my fail

[23:57] notninja_shark: and Latias was all "Lolhi"

[23:57] caligari: Just view my desktop

[23:57] notninja_shark: and I was All "FASTBALLGOGOGO"*

[23:57] notninja_shark: and Latias was all "Lolno"

[23:57] notninja_shark: and it escaped

[23:57] notninja_shark: FUCK

[23:58] daisoku: fuuu

[23:58] virgothecougar: I swear Raikou and Entei are atractted to my scent or something cause I keep running into them all the damn time.

[23:58] daisoku: XDD

[23:58] notninja_shark: then I caught a Muk

[23:58] notninja_shark: The End

*Actually It was a Quick Ball I used, tough I didn't know the English name lol

Yeah you can, it's just tedious.

You have to set the clock blah blah blah, except you have to save your game every time.

I already tried.

The process:

-Check radio, Ditto swarm.

-Save game, turn off.

-Go to settings, change clock to 23:59 (1 minute before the next day).

-Return to game, turn on radio, Ditto swarm.

-Clock turns to 00:00 next day, still Ditto swarm.

-repeat step 2, rinse repeat, still Ditto swarm.

Either I'm getting extremely unlucky in the swarms or I'm doing something wrong.

You kinda have to wait half a minute or so after the clock hits 00:00.

Ah, that did it. It changes whenever you leave an area like the roamers.

Edited by Black Spy

I'm having a bit of trouble with my copy of Soul Silver, Steven Stone isn't showing up as Silph Co. and I don't know why. I've beaten Red and he isn't there. I don't know if it is because I already have Hoenn starters and a Latios on the copy or not. What do I need to do?

Also one thing that has been bothering me recently is that you can't fly straight from Johto to Kanto, you have to go to the indigo plateau or victory road and then fly to Johto or Kanto, it's really annoying. And for those saying the Pokémon couldn't do it because it's too long of a distance, Pidgeys can carry to the same distance as a Rayquaza.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my copy of Soul Silver, Steven Stone isn't showing up as Silph Co. and I don't know why. I've beaten Red and he isn't there. I don't know if it is because I already have Hoenn starters and a Latios on the copy or not. What do I need to do?

You might need to get the Kanto starters first, which is what I did. You have activated the Lati appearance in the Wild too right?

If you've done all that then I dunno, it would be stupid if having a Hoenn starter already affected it :S

EDIT: I know about Groudon needing to be from Embedded Tower. Doesn't matter, my brother traded me Rayquaza too anyway. XD

Not the complete same for me. It was fun on Platinum, and it's starting to feel like a chore on HG, but I think that's because I'd evolved/trained to death so recently in Platinum. The reason you didn't enjoy Platinum might be because you played Diamond/Pearl so much. Likewise, one of the reasons I'm not fully into HG is because no matter what people say, Gen 2 has aged. I was worried I was losing interest when I hardly played Fire Red and Emerald, but Diamond and especially Platinum fully rekindled my love for the series.

You might love Gen5 ^^

I actually skipped Diamond/ Pearl completely. :lol:

And don't get me wrong, I loved Platinum for a while. Like I said, did 60-80 hours in the first two weeks, then barely touched it afterward. It's looking to go a similar way with HeartGold at the moment.

I think for me, it's just a case of "493 Pokemon is far, far too bloody many". Back when it was 151, and even 251, it still felt manageable within a reasonable timeframe. Hell, if these were the originals, I'd nearly be there now (217 Pokemon). That feeling of "Almost there, just a few more to go!" is the thing that'd give me the effort to want to make that final push and finish off the Pokedex. Except now, I slog away for close to a hundred hours, catch a couple hundred Pokemon, only to realise "Oh, I'm less than halfway there." I find it so demotivating, really.

I mean, I'm not the sort of person who has the patience to level up Pokemon whom I don't even intend to use as final party members just for the sake of evolving them. Looking back on it, that might be why Tyranitar ended up part of my main party back in the original Gold. And Dragonite? Don't even go there. One lv55 evolver is enough for me, thanks, especially given that they start to level much more slowly once they hit 40 or so. Also, when it comes to some wild Pokemon that are stupidly rare and you have to basically just run around in grass for hours and rely on sheer luck to find them. I'll usually try to an extent, then just drop it.

Ultimately, I think as the number of Pokemon goes up, 'catching them all' just keeps getting further and further away from what I have the patience for.

Edited by Mahzes