Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

Alright guys, this is driving me crazy, where the Hell do you get the map upgrade for Kanto?

I've been EVERYWHERE and beat Red, yet still, no map, and thus, no flying >_>.

Hold right when you're choosing where you want your Pokémon to fly. Kanto will be selectable as long as you land at the Indigo Plateau first.

In other words, there is no map upgrade. Basically, you're limited to the region you're in PLUS the Indigo Plateau. And in the same way, you can fly anywhere from the Indigo Plateau.

Is it just me, or is this game RIDICULOUSLY easy? I beat it without losing a single battle and with only ONE strong Pokémon (and a couple of HM whores at level 5 - 35). That's the only thing that disappointed me.

Well. Also, legendaries seem very easy to catch. Less than 5 ultraballs for Articuno, for example.

I dunno. It just seems a little broken if I can beat the game with pretty much just one Pokémon who can one-hit KO almost every beast it encounters. One of my Rival battles, I one-hit-KOed EVERY Pokémon of his with ONE (same) move from ONE Pokémon.

Fufufu. I do love the Rival's battle theme music though~♪

Is it just me, or is this game RIDICULOUSLY easy? I beat it without losing a single battle and with only ONE strong Pokémon (and a couple of HM whores at level 5 - 35). That's the only thing that disappointed me.

Well. Also, legendaries seem very easy to catch. Less than 5 ultraballs for Articuno, for example.

I dunno. It just seems a little broken if I can beat the game with pretty much just one Pokémon who can one-hit KO almost every beast it encounters. One of my Rival battles, I one-hit-KOed EVERY Pokémon of his with ONE (same) move from ONE Pokémon.

Fufufu. I do love the Rival's battle theme music though~♪

Well I guess it is easy. I mean I did used a lot of pokemon from my pearl to beat the elite 4. But the leaders were pretty easy. Morty being the easiest because I had a jolly Gengar to own his Gengar's ass.

I wish they would had stepped it up a bit....

This is one thing that won't really change, no matter how easy the game is. It may be easier to weaken Articuno, but its catch rate will aways be the same (its catch rate is 3 in all of the games).

Edited by OvErLoRd

Hold right when you're choosing where you want your Pokémon to fly. Kanto will be selectable as long as you land at the Indigo Plateau first.

Its weird because when I hold right, I can sometimes scroll over Pewter City but I can't actually SEE anything.

EDIT: And the other strange thing, when I look at a map in the Pokemon Center of Kanto it doesn't show it either! Just Johto.

Edited by Sarge

Is it just me, or is this game RIDICULOUSLY easy?

[more justified oldbag_says_words.gif]

Pokémon is designed in such a way that the main adventure can be beaten by an eight year old not familiar with the minutiae of the battle system. Therefore, if you've played a Pokémon game before, you'll blow away every new Pokémon game you play.

However, especially these days, the battle system is deep and complex enough that the more familiar you are with the battle system, the more you can exploit it and appear to pull off miracles to the uninitiated. This extends to all aspects of the battle system: from types, IVs and EVs, movesets, and how breeding boosts and enhances each of these. If the main game's gotten trivially easy for you, it's probably time to look into playing against other players. I'm preparing to do the same, and from the little I've seen on YouTube and elsewhere I've quickly realised that there's a huge amount about Pokémon I've yet to learn - the main reason for that being that there's no reason to learn it in the main game because the AI is nowhere near skilled enough to exploit all these tricks.

TL;DR: game's too easy? Go find a skilled player online: CHALLENGE GET.

Pretty sure Flyboy meant ridiculously easy by Pokémon standards? (which it is). Platinum's difficulty is far more solid and balanced, even if it is designed for children to be abler to complete, hardcore gamers can find a decent challenge in it every now and then.

It's not such a big deal that HG/SS is too easy, it just shows that the game hasn't aged so well.

So, apparently, after digging around google for an answer, I'm not the only person with this problem and it happens quiet a bit.

The cure is to take the boat from Oilivine. Going to give it a go and see if it works...

EDIT: HELL YEAH! It worked!! :D

Someone said this is an old problem that happened in the original games too, but it only happened when someone used an AR or Game Shark... Looks like someone took a nap on in the testing department.

Edited by Sarge

Celebi Movie 13 distribution confirmed for Brawl.

So, how do movie event Pokémon work anyway - are they still brought over to western shores in some form or another? Looking forward to see if this gets a distribution at Gamestop, but if this is Wi-Fi exclusive, then FUCK.

I have one thing to say....

This offer better be in the US. I really like the alternate colored beasts. Also I need Celebi badly.

Celebi Movie 13 distribution confirmed for Brawl.

So, how do movie event Pokémon work anyway - are they still brought over to western shores in some form or another? Looking forward to see if this gets a distribution at Gamestop, but if this is Wi-Fi exclusive, then FUCK.

Well, if Arceus was any hint of what's to come - Celebi might be distributed at the theaters in Japan and then come to TRU/GAME in the US/UK.

Which is still bollocks, as it depends on where you live. The fairest way to do out-of-game events if Wi-Fi, and they shouldn't be done exclusively in any other format now.

Right-

Got myself an Espeon infected with Pokerus from the GTS. I heard it only stays for 48 hours, so I've boxed it on the PC for now.

How do I spread it to the rest of my team, and how long does it take?

Edited by Mahzes

Got myself an Espeon infected with Pokerus from the GTS. I heard it only stays for 48 hours, so I've boxed it on the PC for now.

How do I spread it to the rest of my team, and how long does it take?

It does it automatically. And the Pokerus never stops infecting others so long as it stays in a box.

Pretty sure Flyboy meant ridiculously easy by Pokémon standards? (which it is). Platinum's difficulty is far more solid and balanced, even if it is designed for children to be abler to complete, hardcore gamers can find a decent challenge in it every now and then.

It's not such a big deal that HG/SS is too easy, it just shows that the game hasn't aged so well.

Yeah. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear - Pokémon of course has never been the most challenging rpg/battling game ever. But Soul Silver was SO easy even by those standards. I mean, never losing a battle/whiting out even once? Beating the entire game with only one Pokémon (+ HM whores) with no new moves since around level 25? Absolutely no challenge at all. Most gym leaders I didn't even need to heal up first. Something about this game seemed broken in JUST HOW EASY it was to get all the badges in Johto, beat the Elite 4 and champion, get all the Kanto badges and beat Red (lol level 88 Pikachu out in ONE HIT, not even from a weakness, from my level 86 main, wf?). In fact, the battle with Red was the only battle that made me have to use any other Pokémon and revives, but I still didn't have to prep for it at all and it was done with in one try. It just felt so easy... no one could even use any status moves on me (sleep etc) because I had them out cold in one damn hit :\

Red's AI was bad and his team's defense is pretty crap considering their levels. Also Lance's AI is terrible! Get your strongest Pokémon to spam Draco Meteor until its Special Attack stat is pretty much useless? What a tactic Lance D:

Red's AI was bad and his team's defense is pretty crap considering their levels. Also Lance's AI is terrible! Get your strongest Pokémon to spam Draco Meteor until its Special Attack stat is pretty much useless? What a tactic Lance D:

Red's Blastoise didn't use a single water attack on my FIRE Pokémon... it was bizarre. You'd think they might've tweaked the AI/move-sets for these re-releases, but I guess not...

Red's Blastoise didn't use a single water attack on my FIRE Pokémon... it was bizarre. You'd think they might've tweaked the AI/move-sets for these re-releases, but I guess not...

Its only water-type move is Hydro Cannon, which is a new move... no idea why he wouldn't use it, though. Maybe he was afraid you'd destroy him with an electric-type in the turn it took him to recover? :mellow:

I still haven't fought Red yet myself, since I'm training/breeding/teaching moves to my favourites team before I try. A team that includes a very defensive Sableye and Vespiquen, so I think I'm gonna be a while. Grinding with Attack Order isn't so bad, but Night Shade is just bleh, and using an Exp. Share feels like a waste when I have a Lucky Egg lying around.

Lol, I put NO effort into my 'team' at all. I destroyed Red pretty much single-handedly with my starter, which I used pretty much exclusively for EVERY SINGLE battle from the beginning of the game to the end =D The ONLY other Pokémon I used at all in battle was Lugia, which I used about three times in total for like one round each time.

Lol, I put NO effort into my 'team' at all. I destroyed Red pretty much single-handedly with my starter, which I used pretty much exclusively for EVERY SINGLE battle from the beginning of the game to the end =D The ONLY other Pokémon I used at all in battle was Lugia, which I used about three times in total for like one round each time.

Oh, I'm using the team I'm training for other things (mainly the Battle Frontier); I haven't been putting time into building some kind of Red-killing super force. The team I played through the game up until that point with were too weak to take on Red by the time I'd reached Mt. Silver, though, so I decided to do it properly from scratch rather than waste time grinding Pokes up to Red's level that I'd be giving up on immediately afterwards anyway.

On one hand, it means that I still haven't fought him yet. On the other hand, it's given me an incentive to actually finish training the team. Under other circumstances, the incoming Generation V hype might have killed my enthusiasm.

You know, this really begs the question, what Pokemon did you sweep the entire game with/moveset? Cause even I had a LITTLE trouble with like 2 fights in the game (Sabrina and Lance are the only fights I lost to, the former because I was underleveled). Though it really isn't a surprise how easy it was for you; if you use one Pokemon it'll grow MUCH faster than if it was accompanied by a full team, so your more than likely to be overleveled throughout the whole game.

Though I will admit, Red WAS a bit easy, even though my entire party was at lvl 80. I have a bad habit of overestimating the strength of some of these bosses, both the Kanto gym leaders and Red I overleveled to beat and ended up sweeping them without a prayer. Red I didn't even need to recover.

You know, this really begs the question, what Pokemon did you sweep the entire game with/moveset? Cause even I had a LITTLE trouble with like 2 fights in the game (Sabrina and Lance are the only fights I lost to, the former because I was underleveled). Though it really isn't a surprise how easy it was for you; if you use one Pokemon it'll grow MUCH faster than if it was accompanied by a full team, so your more than likely to be overleveled throughout the whole game.

Any Pokemon with a high Attack/Sp. Attack will fuck up anything and anyone if its more than 10 levels above it. And if you have a type advantage, you don't even need to be at a higher level.

It does it automatically. And the Pokerus never stops infecting others so long as it stays in a box.

Yeah, but it's not instant, is it? I checked the rest of my party and they didn't have the Pokerus status yet.

Do you have to walk around with an infected Pokemon for a while before it'll spread?

Win battles (wild or trainer) with a Pokérus-infected Pokémon to spread Pokérus. Avoid doing so around midnight as that's when the Pokérus internal clock is checked and ceases to be infectious.