Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

Also one thing that has been bothering me recently is that you can't fly straight from Johto to Kanto, you have to go to the indigo plateau or victory road and then fly to Johto or Kanto, it's really annoying. And for those saying the Pokémon couldn't do it because it's too long of a distance, Pidgeys can carry to the same distance as a Rayquaza.

Still hella better than the originals in which you either had to surf a little off the coast of New Bark and then fly, or take the Magnet Train to Goldenrod. Speaking of which, the ability to fly to Indigo Plateau and between Kanto and Johto pretty much made the Magnet Train completely useless.

You might need to get the Kanto starters first, which is what I did. You have activated the Lati appearance in the Wild too right?

If you've done all that then I dunno, it would be stupid if having a Hoenn starter already affected it :S

I have the Kanto starter, but not the Lati appearence. How do I do that?

Have you Entered and Exited the Vermillion Pokemon Fanclub yet?

You Also Need to give Copycat in Saffron Her Doll.

Edited by Mr. Ninja Shark

Ultimately, I think as the number of Pokemon goes up, 'catching them all' just keeps getting further and further away from what I have the patience for.

Catching them all was never necessary though. I never found it the slightest bit necessary even in Gen 1, infact I find it far more fun to do now than I had before. It's just not for everyone I guess.

But don't feel like you have to get them all, just your faves. Imo the more the better, because I play, I catch, and I love almost every moment usually. The more Pokémon there are the longer I play it for.

Maybe start out with the regional dex? I mean that's probably what they're still there for.

You gotta do a sidequest for Copycat. She'll be upset about losing her Clefair doll, so you go to look for it in the Pokémon Fan Club, etc etc.

Also one thing that has been bothering me recently is that you can't fly straight from Johto to Kanto, you have to go to the indigo plateau or victory road and then fly to Johto or Kanto, it's really annoying. And for those saying the Pokémon couldn't do it because it's too long of a distance, Pidgeys can carry to the same distance as a Rayquaza.

I suppose, though it has at least been improved. In Gold, you had to either go down to surf to your starter town or walk up to the 'League for the old man's pokemon to teleport you home. Correct me if I am wrong, but I also think that in order to go back to Kanto from Johto, you would have to actually surf over again, though you could also take the magnet train or the cruise. ^^

Does anybody know how much these games are going for in-store at GAME? I have a £20 gift card (maybe more) that's been sat in my wallet since November, and I might put it towards an English SS if there's nothing else that I want. I'm going shopping on Saturday.

Does anybody know how much these games are going for in-store at GAME? I have a £20 gift card (maybe more) that's been sat in my wallet since November, and I might put it towards an English SS if there's nothing else that I want. I'm going shopping on Saturday.

I believe they're £34.99 in GAME. At least, they were when I picked up my copy on launch day... and I was in GAME yesterday and I believe the prices were the same, though I can't say I really looked.

It's Pokemon though, so I don't see the prices dropping that much.

Also, I see people mentioning getting Kanto starters... how do you get one? Is it as simple as visiting Professor Oak's lab in Pallet Town, or do some extra requirements have to be fulfilled? :huh:

Also, I see people mentioning getting Kanto starters... how do you get one? Is it as simple as visiting Professor Oak's lab in Pallet Town, or do some extra requirements have to be fulfilled? :huh:

You visit Oak's lab in Pallet Town once you've defeated Red. Unlike the Hoenn starters you don't have to go on a sidequest to get them.

I just saw the battery discussion and thought i'd add my experience. I'm still on the old DS phat original battery and my batteries a f*ckin' terminator. Seriously. I've played for hours at a time and it's not even gone red. It's a hard bugger.

To the above poster: The games retail at around 35 quid ish.

You visit Oak's lab in Pallet Town once you've defeated Red. Unlike the Hoenn starters you don't have to go on a sidequest to get them.

Ahh thanks! ;)

...and you can get Hoenn starters too? :blink: There's so much I don't know about this game! :lol:

Well I took my Dragonair on my Pokéwalker today along with leaving my Meganium and Umbreon in the Daycare while grinding my Togetic. The team is looking more and more stable with an average level around about 42, yet I cant convince myself I am ready. Togetic is the only Pokemon right now with a fighting move, only for the sake of facing Karen, but with an extremely low attack stat and just my luck of the only fighting move I can learn it being Focus Punch, its literally useless until I manage to learn it Substitute and even then it wont help me enough.

Lance was a problem too. His Gyarados was a cakewalk 1 hit KO on my part, but the Aerodactyl suddenly upped the ante by 1 hit KOing all of my Pokemon, which at the time however was three, one being half health, one being same level but vulnerable to rock and another one being completely underleveled, so it was justified.

Have to remember to stock up with more revives. Although, I do wish the stores sold Max Revives.

Edited by Columind

Cool. Just checking they weren't something silly like £40. It's just a wild idea anyway- depending on what else they have in.

Edited by Blue Blood

Have to remember to stock up with more revives. Although, I do wish the stores sold them.

I'm pretty sure the department store in Goldenrod sells them at that point in the game, although I recollect most of the stores selling them by that point in the game.

I'm pretty sure the department store in Goldenrod sells them at that point in the game, although I recollect most of the stores selling them by that point in the game.

Max Revives? I edited my post due to a slip up. Revives are sold at the Indigo Plateau so that was never a problem.

Catching them all was never necessary though. I never found it the slightest bit necessary even in Gen 1, infact I find it far more fun to do now than I had before. It's just not for everyone I guess.

But don't feel like you have to get them all, just your faves. Imo the more the better, because I play, I catch, and I love almost every moment usually. The more Pokémon there are the longer I play it for.

Maybe start out with the regional dex? I mean that's probably what they're still there for.

That's the thing though; the completionist in me is saying "get them all!", but then I realise how stupidly and unrealistically impossible it all is (or at least, certainly not worth it for the amount of time and effort it requires), which is a massive demotivator and pretty frustrating.

I mean, 151, 251 Pokemon was just about doable. But with close to 500 of them, the games just can't hold my attention for long enough to even come close. Ideally I'd want to, but 493 Pokemon is way, way beyond what I have the patience and dedication for. D:

Max Revives? I edited my post due to a slip up. Revives are sold at the Indigo Plateau so that was never a problem.

Here is a list of links where you can get max revives.

That's the thing though; the completionist in me is saying "get them all!", but then I realise how stupidly and unrealistically impossible it all is (or at least, certainly not worth it for the amount of time and effort it requires), which is a massive demotivator and pretty frustrating.

I mean, 151, 251 Pokemon was just about doable. But with close to 500 of them, the games just can't hold my attention for long enough to even come close. Ideally I'd want to, but 493 Pokemon is way, way beyond what I have the patience and dedication for. D:

I don't see how 251 is reasonable and 493 isn't. Sure, 251 is more reasonable but I'd say it is no way near reasonable without being dedicated to it.

What I do it go for a regional pokédex all at once and then take a break from Pokémon games in general. Back in '05 I filled up Kanto's pokédex, last year I nearly finished Sinnoh's, I'm currently working on Hoenn, and I think I'll get busy on Johto's a month or two from now. I make sure to catch everything on each route before moving on as well. Only catching what I run into and having to go back after the game ends feels like a chore, but if I collect everything as soon as it's available, while still in the main game, it's not so dull. Perhaps that could help you enjoy it? ^^

The completionist in me finds it incredibly fun having more to do in a game I love so much.

Getting them all should be something you do because you WANT to. I find looking at my hugely filled Pokédex incredibly rewarding, personally, and I love thinking and talking about it even though I know noone else much cares. :P

Here is a list of links where you can get max revives.

I don't see how 251 is reasonable and 493 isn't. Sure, 251 is more reasonable but I'd say it is no way near reasonable without being dedicated to it.

Well, I suppose the 250-odd mark is where my attention starts to wane. I can hold dedication to the cause for that long (as is evident in both my Platinum and HeartGold files- I actually caught around 250 in each- think I got around 270 in Platinum, around 220 in HeartGold at the moment). Considering I've got 220 Pokemon so far without making any real exceptional effort until recently, it's not hard to see how, with a gap of only 30 or so, that would be enough of an incentive to finish off the Pokedex. Basically, it's "I'm getting a bit bored, but hey, the end's in sight! Go for it!" versus "I'm getting a bit bored, and I'm barely halfway there. Sod it."

A lot of people seem to be interpreting what I'm saying as 'I don't enjoy the games'- I still do, don't get me wrong. I've just taken to accepting the fact that getting all 493 Pokemon would become much, much more of a chore than an enjoyment for me, so I just play the games until I feel they're becoming more of a chore than a game. At that point, I call it quits and shelf the game, maybe dipping back to it once in a while and picking up a few new Pokemon at a time. :3

The completionist in me finds it incredibly fun having more to do in a game I love so much.

Getting them all should be something you do because you WANT to. I find looking at my hugely filled Pokédex incredibly rewarding, personally, and I love thinking and talking about it even though I know noone else much cares. :P

I know, I can't argue with the replay value of the Pokemon games- they're practically limitless. It's just for me, beyond beating the main story, extra sidequests, then catching all the obtainable in-game legendaries, the replay value kinda stops being fun for me after that. Granted, I'll grab any and all Pokemon that I can without having to trawl around in long grass for hours or do endless levelling up, but yeah- for me, the games sort of stop being fun after that.

I think a lot of it is just a case of overkill, though. Like I said, I can happily go back to them once in a while after my initial addiction dies down. It's just 60+ hours in two weeks is quite a bit. D:

Edited by Mahzes

In LeafGreen, I made it a mission to capture every creature I can obtain without the use of trading, which amounted to a grand maximum total of 171 Pokémon (taking into account that I can't obtain more than one starter or fossil, breeding Hitmonlee/chan to obtain their counterparts, etc.). Starting with Gen4, I can only be bothered to catch around 230+ of the fuckers before feeling satisfied.

Heh, since I missed them so much I've made it a habit to catch every single legendary in-game in one of Kurt's custom Pokeballs, I caught Suicune in a Moonball and after HOURS OF TRYING I've finally caught Ho-oH in a Lure Ball (though I was trying for a Heavy Ball >_>).

You gotta do a sidequest for Copycat. She'll be upset about losing her Clefair doll, so you go to look for it in the Pokémon Fan Club, etc etc.

OH SO THAT'S HOW THANKYOU

*clears it*

For your lulz and mine, I'm going to keep a list of the things I acquire and achieve in the game after getting the completed National Dex. Let's see, so far:

* Obtained Seal Case

* Obtained Super Rod

* Unlocked Latios roaming event

* Obtained Magnet Train Pass

* Obtained Torchic

(I actually thought the train pass had been removed from the game because it's now possible to fly anywhere in Johto and Kanto from Victory Road and Indigo Plateau, making the train useless. The More You Know...)

I wonder how big this list will get? I haven't even done Voltorb Flip yet. XDDD

Prof. J's post reminds me of something I've been wondering about for a long time. If you trade over a Pokémon in one of Kurt's balls to D/P/P, what does their Pokéball show up as? I'm pretty sure none of the Johto Pokéballs were programmed into D/P/P...

A bit like Jake, I made it my mission in Platinum to catch every single Pokémon available in Platinum on that game, which is why I couldn't get Sandshrew, Vulpix or Weedle until I got LeafGreen again, using the dongle is the only way to make them appear. Legies and starters outside of Platinum are the only things ones I trade over. Every other Pokémon is either available in Platinum, or Diamond and Pearl, which is what I played if I couldn't get that particlar Pokémon in Platinum.

Edited by SuperLink

Voltorb Flips cool and all, but GOD DAMN I'M NEVER GONNA EARN 10,000 COINS!!!