Awoo.

Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?

Nintendoga

I don't think anyone wants a sonic adventure 3 in concept with all the alternate gameplay styles etc. Those who say they want it put too much importance and are too atached to the name "sonic adventure". The alternate gameplaystyles were there to add some content to the overall package, but is that really the best way to put other characters in the game? The answer is no imo. Why not have it like in s3k where all characters played similar but with different paths and order.

I personally don't want a sonic adventure 3 either but I do think they were really on the right track with some of the aspects in sonic adventure 1. Mainly with the feel of control and the level design. I also loved the hub worlds alot.

I think the first sonic adventure mainly got this right. A stage like sky deck would be in no way possible with todays sonic unleashed way of control. I mean sky deck wasn't the most polished stage, it was actually pretty messy. But it was possible at least to have a stage like it while I can't imagine in any way possible that something like that could be made with the way unleashed/generations gameplay is designed.

Not only is it that what I prefer about the adventure games, but the way the homing attack was programmed and implemented felt way more natural even without reticules in the adventure games.

The modern sonic games we have today are certainly more polished, but the adventure series were alot more striving from a technical point imo.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay I think the reasons people want a SA3 is because there are several things from the Adventure Series that they feel

have been lacking or absent from current games.

1) Gameplay that is both varied interesting; while I am not to fond of treasure hunting myself I still think it should be optional

for those who like it, same goes for mech shooting.

2) Large cast of characters that are uniuqe (in some way) at least six. Yeah I've been hearing this argument for a while

that people are tired of solo sonic and want to see more from his friends -(knuckles tails shadow amy etc).

3) Stages that feel more like an environment that you can interact with instead of a racetrack that you boost through

half the time. I like the unleashed formula (to a point) but I think people would like a little more exploration

and a few less invisible walls.

4) A story with a good deal of character development that allowed the player to (somewhat) relate to the characters more.

While story isnt the biggest issue a lot of fans seem to wanna see a little more from the characters and how they

think and react to ceartain situations and so on.

5) And of course Chao Gardens which are known for adding a lot of replayability to the game.

I also think they want a little more variation in the music but with heavy influence from Crush 40 (not really sure).

Even though a lot of them do like the current games I think these are some of the reasons this topic comes up alot.

I didn't feel that sad for them because the scene wasn't played up enough for me to have such an emotional reaction.

Edited by batson

I have an idea on how to have multiple characters. It's based on fighting games like Dead or Alive, in which you can switch characters. Every main character needs to have a second character which gameplay differs from the first character, e.g. Sonic and Tails. Sonic could just be like Unleashed, while Tails could have a flying option like in SA, or could have his plane as weapon (SA2). If you press Square for example, you change to the secondary character.

You have the option to just complete the story as the 1st character or 2nd. This will give fans an option, meaning that they aren't forced to just play as everyone.

Switching characters midgame might be kind of neat as a game gimmick, but honestly, I don't see why it's particularly necessary when they could just abolish the concept of genre roulettes and Last Story entirely and just let characters finish the game in their own way without completely rewriting how the game works between every single character. You can maintain character optionality pretty much just by removing the need to use every one of them for a true ending, and decide that factor on something else. Like Special Stages perhaps, but not necessarily.

I don't think anyone wants a sonic adventure 3 in concept with all the alternate gameplay styles etc. Those who say they want it put too much importance and are too atached to the name "sonic adventure". The alternate gameplaystyles were there to add some content to the overall package, but is that really the best way to put other characters in the game? The answer is no imo. Why not have it like in s3k where all characters played similar but with different paths and order.

I agree. Although Colours has done well, it failed to fill me with the same kind of awe and excitement that came with the Adventure series when they were first released. I remember much more favourable reviews upon release than Sonic receives these days. =[ They also had more replay value, at least for me. Colours is so short and I miss the more detailed narrative, other characters (not alternate gameplay styles) and the general style of the Adventures. The problems these elements presented though could be fixed, for example:

- If we could have hub worlds that were easy to navigate, didn't require you to complete missions within them and were just there to connect the stages together, I think they would work. Maybe slap some unused characters in them.

- Other characters like Tails and Knuckles could operate as they did in S3&K (as Jaouad also stated), with alternate routes, possibly leading to levels exclusive to them. Say three or four characters and perhaps you unlocked another character skin upon completion of each one's story.

- For the story, add another layer to an existing character or use the mysteries surrounding one to create a story (as they did with Knuckles in SA). Use Blaze's dimension or something, that's mostly unexplored.

That's what I'd like to see. I also hope after Generations that some of the art direction in future games is inspired by that of the classics.

Edited by Lungo

Unleashed had the same kind of effect like the Adventure Series to me, but with the same frustrations. It reminded me of Adventure the same way Galaxy remined of 64 more than Sunshine did.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Okay, to reiterate, here's what I said earlier in this topic. This skirts around alternate gameplay styles while adding variety to them:

Game structure:

The game will have four characters per story perspective: Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles (in that order) will eventually join Sonic on his Adventure as co-op gameplay partners who you can choose, with a maximum of two per team. The same goes for Shadow, but his team members can be Rouge, Omega and Silver. Each character has their own special powers, and completing every stage with them isn't necessary to beat the game and get to the True Story--heck, the other characters often just have relevance to the story, and gameplay with their assistance helps you progress faster.

Dr. Eggman, this time, will not be playable and will hybridize his E-Series with his Badnik creations to create machines with a robotic, yet cartoony flair. How cutesy the robot will look will depend on what kind of robot it is: bosses, for this purpose Animals will also appear out of these robots for use in the Chao Garden--completely optional to completing the game 100%. Also, all abilities will be carried over from Unleashed and Colors, and Knuckles will take on some Werehog-like combat events, sans health bar. But items and equipment will be unlocked, and your level gradually goes up.

Level Design:

This should generally follow, as said, Unleashed Day/Colors in terms of playstyles: but the problem lies in how linear they are, and Generations attacked that problem and it cause a massive improvement in stage progression. These stages will overlap, and the availability some routes or goals will depend on the character chosen--but it won't impact the story, however. Finishing all the missions will just be part of emblem count and achievements too.

Sonic and Shadow's stages will tone down the reliance on QTE's and 2D platforming, and probably lessen the abundance of Homing Attack chains, and straight lines. Even grind rails get the exploration treatment done right, as some lead into completely different routes as well as using the stomp button on certain bridges. When using the boost, Sonic will be able to walk on walls, but once he stops, he falls--loops are also harder to get into without boosting, spin-dashing or super peel-outing. When slower, Sonic will also be a little more stable as well, unlike in Heroes.

Unleashed had the same kind of effect like the Adventure Series to me, but with the same frustrations. It reminded me of Adventure the same way Galaxy remined of 64 more than Sunshine did.

This...

I said it once and I'll say it again, while I understand there are more elements that make a Sonic Adventure game, from a gameplay stand point Modern Sonic Trumps it.

Modern Sonic in Generations trumps SA2 at his own game in City Escape. That should tell Adventure fans a lot. I can't wait to see Speed Highway...I'm curious to see if it will further impress me by trumping that too.

Reason is cause the evidence that Modern Gameplay is just a better version of SA gameplay would be evident. People won't believe shit until they see it...and remaking old Dreamcast era stages, might make the light bulb go off in peoples heads.

Edited by Voyant

I think a lot of people are forgetting that we were kids when the Adventure games were released. Ten years is a long enough time to become more jaded, cynical, and selective with what you like and don't like. Expecting to get the same emotions you got back then is really, really unfair.

I'm talking in a nostalgic sense to my Adventure/Unleashed comparision...but even if a new Sonic game comes out(especially when it's an important one that came out after a bunch of dissapointing ones), you should always compare it mostly how good it is today, rather than completly how it was then.

The modern sonic games we have today are certainly more polished, but the adventure series were alot more striving from a technical point imo.

It's the ambition that I would like to see again most of all. That's what really made the Adventure series for me.

It's the ambition that I would like to see again most of all. That's what really made the Adventure series for me.

The Adventure games, if you ask me, are like a bowl of Spaghettios you used to have as a kid. It was pretty much your favorite meal, and you haven't had it in ages.

Then you grew up a bit, and started trying the Olive Garden and tasted better quality spaghetti and other pasta dishes.

Then you come across a can of Spaghettios. Remembering how you loved it as a kid, you cook it up and eat. It was... meh. Not terrible, but there's SO much better that you've had since those days!

No matter how well you remembered those Spaghettios, the fact is that they really weren't that good, or that good for you, either. Gotta grow up and try the better things in life.

Then there are those who never stopped eating Spaghettios...

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Is it just me or does this place always devolve into food metaphors.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it's silly to say that recent games lack ambition or heart...in Unleashed, look at the amount of stages and extra-stages with all their gimmicks,that they tried to put in even if the controls won't work out too well or the Framerate drops. And all those Hubworlds with unique NPC's(98 as a whole) that you could interact with. And the End-part of the game with Eggmanland and the Dark Gaia Boss...it's pretty darn big and epic, tough like Adventure not well executed.

And Generations is pretty jam-packed with content too..with loads of CGI cutscenes, and co-op/extra characters.

If anything SA2 is more Colors, in that in takes an established concept and simplifies it.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's silly to say that recent lacks ambition or heart...in Unleashed, look at the amount of stages and extra-stages with all their gimmicks,that they tried to put in even if the controls work out too well or the Framerate drops. And all those Hubworlds with unique NPC's(98 as a whole) that you could interact with. And the End-part of the game with Eggmanland and the Dark Gaia Boss...it's pretty darn big and epic, tough like Adventure not well executed.

And Generations is pretty jam-packed with content too..with loads of CGI cutscenes, and co-op/extra characters.

If anything SA2 is more Colors, in that in takes an established concept and simplifies it.

Edited by Marcellof

I just did a count. Sonic Heroes misses that mark by three.

And a side note, but the CG and animation on Metal Overlord was just so awkward....

Huh, are you sure? Every single cutscene in the cutscene viewer was CGI. I'm sure there were more than 8. :blink:

If any 3D sonic games had poorly animated CGI cutscenes, it was SA2. SA1's CGI cutscenes (ESPECIALLY the one featuring Perfect Chaos) seemed to utilize the full potentiall of the Dreamcast, while SA2's was a pretty big step backwards.

Shadow the Hedgehog was another game with amazing CGI cutscenes. They might look dated now six years later, but they were probably among the best ever seen on Gamecube.

Edited by batson

If any 3D sonic games had poorly animated CGI cutscenes, it was SA2. SA1's CGI cutscenes (ESPECIALLY the one featuring Perfect Chaos) seemed to utilize the full potentiall of the Dreamcast, while SA2's was a pretty big step backwards.

Shadow the Hedgehog was another game with amazing CGI cutscenes. They might look dated now six years later, but they were probably among the best ever seen on Gamecube.

They were pre-rendered CGI movies. I doubt it was the Dreamcast that was used to Render them.