Awoo.

Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?

Nintendoga

This has turned into a sorry excuse of a topic...

The question was: "Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?", not "Why not take this grand opportunity to gratuitously shit all over everyone who wants Sonic Adventure 3?" - and that question has been answered many times by many different people.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

The fact is that just because it's a pet simulator doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

YOU just dont want it.

You're right, I don't want it. Thats why I buy Sonic games with the expectation that I'm going to be running very fast fighting robots, not feeding lions to elvis the chao.

If you want that so much just go buy kinectimals if it's a pet simulator game that you desperately want, stop demanding that the devs waste time on this crap when they could be spending time on the main game instead.

Or buy a tamagochi and pretend it's called Sonic Adventure 3, which is the only reason why chao even exist in the first place.

Edited by Hogfather

Again... just go buy kinectimals if it's a pet simulator game that you desperately want, stop demanding that the devs waste time on this crap when they could be spending time on the main game instead.

However, it could be argued that gameplay-wise, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time - so why not spend that extra little bit of time and budget creating a new game mode that'll suck casual gamers and kids into the world of Sonic as well as providing at least some sideline pleasure to the more dedicated fans? That's not to say that Chao Worlds are absolutely essential, just that they were nice enough a little addition in the first games that they appeared in that it would be pretty cool to see them come back again - and remember, the whole "Sonic Adventure 3" concept is a purely theoretical and imaginary idealisation of what a new Adventure-styled title would be like, so Chao Worlds most definitely have a place there.

Although they shouldn't be included at the expense of the proper gameplay, as they weren't in the existing Adventure games.

How I love my Sonic Adventure 3 topics. Just going to put my thoughts down here.

I think alot of us have a different idea of what a Sonic Adventure 3 would be. One reason I probably don't want to see a Sonic Adventure 3 though is because I would've much rather seen it released after SA2, continuing the story with Shadow coming back and all. But Sonic Heroes decided to screw Shadow over story-wise, so eh.

What I'd like to see though is something that takes many things from the Adventure games. I'll be perfectly honest, I love the Adventure games. I love the stories, I love the gameplay (The Sonic one mainly), I love the multiple characters, and I love the immense amount of content in both of the games. They were huge, and daring, taking Sonic to places he's never ran to before. But, the games weren't without their flaws, and if a Sonic Adventure 3 would mean all of these flaws coming back, that isn't what I want. Here's my blueprint of a dream Sonic game.

I'd like that dark and edgy tone the Adventure games have. I know many people don't, but I loved the settings of the Adventure games. They had their fair share of light hearted moments, but they also had their serious moments and deep plots to them. Kinda like those live action super-hero movies. (Spiderman, Iron Man, Batman, etc.) Their stories, while with some flaws, really did well with a setting of Sonic in a realistic/Sonicy environment and I just thought it was really cool. I would absolutely love to see something like that again. Serious enough for adult viewers, yet also with their lighthearted moments for the kids (but alot of the kids would probably love the dark moments too). Maybe the Adventure games didn't do that perfectly, which is why I wish Sonic Team would attempt something like that but better. I'll give credit to Unleashed's story though, I really enjoyed that one.

Gameplay, I would love to be able to play as a good number of characters. But I'd like there to be a single gameplay template for all the characters to follow, but they all each have a couple of specific moves and have levels that are catered to those moves. Kinda like how Sonic and Tails worked in the first Sonic Adventure, but maybe just try a bit harder with the level design. I would like to see this main gameplay style mainly be the Adventure gameplay, but maybe an Unleashed style with the boost toned down ALOT would be nice as well. I ALSO wouldn't mind if they just had different playstyles, but only if they were all Sonic playstyles. They could be classic 2D, Adventure 3D, and the Unleashed 2D/3D we see today. But that would probably take more effort. I do enjoy the mechs and treasure, but I have to admit it, I've never actually loved them as much as the Sonic gameplay and they shouldn't be in a Sonic game. I wouldn't mind maybe a Knuckles spin-off improving on the treasure hunting gameplay though. A guy can dream.

Lots of content as well. I loved all the extra missions you had to do in SA2. (Not to mention the CHAO GARDEN!) Unleashed did a great job with content.

So no, I don't exactly want a Sonic Adventure 3. I just want a game that takes alot of cues from the Adventure series, and makes everything better. The games haven't aged very well, but I still love them and I would love to see something like the Adventure games but perfected. I would welcome a Sonic Adventure 3 with open arms though, unless it turned out to be a pile of crap.

• Thumbs Up 2

^^I was wondering when you were gonna come back.

I'd like that dark and edgy tone the Adventure games have. I know many people don't, but I loved the settings of the Adventure games. They had their fair share of light hearted moments, but they also had their serious moments and deep plots to them. Kinda like those live action super-hero movies. (Spiderman, Iron Man, Batman, etc.) Their stories, while with some flaws, really did well with a setting of Sonic in a realistic/Sonicy environment and I just thought it was really cool. I would absolutely love to see something like that again. Serious enough for adult viewers, yet also with their lighthearted moments for the kids (but alot of the kids would probably love the dark moments too). Maybe the Adventure games didn't do that perfectly, which is why I wish Sonic Team would attempt something like that but better. I'll give credit to Unleashed's story though, I really enjoyed that one.

This is pretty much the point I wanted to argue so here goes.

Now I have no problem with a Darker & Edgier story, I really don't, but looking at Sega's track record with trying to make the series into that really doesn't sit well with me. I know people go on and on about how Sa2 was all so dark and edgy, but it really didn't get that way until the last story where things like insanity and murder were present, before that its tone was pretty standard for a Sonic game, it didn't feel unnatural like it did in Shadow or 06, the story was a bit more serious but it never lost itself in it.

Take Toy Story 3 for instance, its noticeably darker than the first film by a large margin, what with abandonment issues, near death experiences, etc. but it still manages to maintain its quirky lighthearted atmosphere and downright hilarious moments similar to the first film.

Now look at the likes of STH and 06; the former deals with Alien Invasions, Revenge, cursing, use of firearms and has little to none of the lighthearted atmosphere that the series was known for, most of the lighthearted characters were pushed out of the spotlight, it was like it wasn't even Sonic anymore.

The latter is just as worse, it has apocalyptic futures, a noticeably creepy villain, betrayal, angst, and the death of the main character. The characters act in a manner that completely contrast with what they are normally. Sonic barely cracks a joke, or talks smack to his opponents, Eggman lacks any comical features whatsoever, and his design is a reflection of this, the game overall has a much more realistic and bleak feel that's a complete far cry from the series proper.

A series can have a more serious plotline than what its used too, but when it changes to the point of being almost completely different from what the series was, then its not the same series anymore, its something else entirely.

that's my view on it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

However, it could be argued that gameplay-wise, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time - so why not spend that extra little bit of time and budget creating a new game mode that'll suck casual gamers and kids into the world of Sonic as well as providing at least some sideline pleasure to the more dedicated fans?

However, it could be argued that gameplay-wise, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time

Waitwaitwait.

Are you serious?

I suppose that's completely ignoring the numerous bugs, Amy's sluggish controls, and the fact that they used FISHING as filler rather than making more levels for the other characters.

Do I like the Chao Garden? Yes. But would I rather have them fix the game's problems and maybe even make more awesome levels than spend so much time sticking a pet simulator in a fast platforming game? Frick yes.

The question was: "Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?", not "Why not take this grand opportunity to gratuitously shit all over everyone who wants Sonic Adventure 3?"

Huh. Last I checked, pointing out flaws in people's arguments and logic wasn't "gratuitously s***ting on them".

Really, what's synonymous with the Adventure games aside from boost-less Sonic gameplay? Genre roulette and god-monster plots. I'm sure we're all tired of god-monster plots, but genre roulette - regardless of the perceived quality of the alternate gameplay styles - can greatly hurt a game's appeal. Let's face it: treasure hunting and mech shooting really don't have that much to do with what Sonic is about, and fishing? What? People in support of genre roulette say that it "makes the game for everybody", but in reality it doesn't. At worst, it's going to make you have to fight your way through playstyles youdon't enjoy to get to the one you do, and Sonic Adventure 2 is actually pretty infamous for this. And again, allow me to be clear: I love the Sonic Adventure games. I'll admit I probably wouldn't absolutely adore them if it weren't for nostalgia, but I really do think that they are very good games. But they do have flaws, some of them perhaps even objective, and when discussing them I'm not going to let nostalgia blind me to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

However, it could be argued that gameplay-wise, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really, what's synonymous with the Adventure games aside from boost-less Sonic gameplay? Genre roulette and god-monster plots.

Oh come on, you know there is a bigger difference between the Adventure games and the "boost-era" games than that. For one thing, in the Adventure games (the first one in particular), the player was often encouraged to stop and explore the level, which is an element that is nonexistant in Unleashed (that is, in the Sonic levels) and almost nonexistant in the 3D sections in Colors.

However, it could be argued that gameplay-wise, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time - so why not spend that extra little bit of time and budget creating a new game mode that'll suck casual gamers and kids into the world of Sonic as well as providing at least some sideline pleasure to the more dedicated fans? That's not to say that Chao Worlds are absolutely essential, just that they were nice enough a little addition in the first games that they appeared in that it would be pretty cool to see them come back again - and remember, the whole "Sonic Adventure 3" concept is a purely theoretical and imaginary idealisation of what a new Adventure-styled title would be like, so Chao Worlds most definitely have a place there.

Although they shouldn't be included at the expense of the proper gameplay, as they weren't in the existing Adventure games.

The Adventure games were certainly not perfected. They each had a number of glitches and control issues especially in SA2's case, which is why they should have focused on the main gameplay not alternate playstyles and a pet sim that no one asked for.

Oh come on, you know there is a bigger difference between the Adventure games and the "boost-era" games than that. For one thing, in the Adventure games (the first one in particular), the player was often encouraged to stop and explore the level, which is an element that is nonexistant in Unleashed (that is, in the Sonic levels) and almost nonexistant in the 3D sections in Colors.

Of course. I understand that. But if people just want the Sonic gameplay back, then just ask for the Sonic gameplay back. If SEGA were to make a Sonic Adventure 3, they probably would use genre roulette and maybe even a god-monster plot, and that would not bode well for the hypothetical game's reception outside of the fanbase of the original two games. I think RidersDX said it best:

But, the games weren't without their flaws, and if a Sonic Adventure 3 would mean all of these flaws coming back, that isn't what I want.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were perfected to such an extent that spending any more time developing the main game would have been a waste of time
  • Thumbs Up 3

You're right, I don't want it. Thats why I buy Sonic games with the expectation that I'm going to be running very fast fighting robots, not feeding lions to elvis the chao.

Edited by Eastwood

The only problem with this is that if youre running through the same stages over and over again that kinda gameplay is going to quickly become old.

The chao gardens gave people another reason to run through, explore and overall enjoy the levels again.

Edited by Blacklightning

I hate how the chao raising are required if you want to collect all the emblems. I don't find chao raising to be fun at all and I think it's very tedious that I have to play the same stages over and over and over again for hours and hours and hours for days and days and even more days so my chao can get better at the chao races.

I'll raise a running chao so I'm always either playing Emerald Coast or Speed Highway over and over again to collect small rabbits, kangaroos, deers, etc. Also I have to keep grinding for rings so I can buy a bunch of chao fruit to help speed up the progress. I wish chao raising was optional and if it was completely optional then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are ways to do that without establishing a genre roulette, you know.

Just putting that out there.

Edited by Eastwood

The only problem with this is that if youre running through the same stages over and over again that kinda gameplay is going to quickly become old.

The chao gardens gave people another reason to run through, explore and overall enjoy the levels again.

To answer the original question:

People want SA3 the same reason people wanted Sonic 4. The latter proved that it isn't a good idea. A concept can exist outside of the boundaries of its original name. You want SA3? Think about it long and hard before SEGA makes it "just as you imagined".

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

People want SA3 the same reason people wanted Sonic 4. The latter proved that it isn't a good idea. A concept can exist outside of the boundaries of its original name. You want SA3? Think about it long and hard before SEGA makes it "just as you imagined".

Yes there are many ways to bring more replay value to the games and thats one of them.
Edited by Blacklightning

Literal Wish Genie all up in here.

One thing that I do wonder about, since most of this topic has been debated under the idea that a supposed SA3 would be a continuation of SA2: What if they reverted most of the stuff in this hypothetical game to be more like the original Adventure? At least in terms of game design.

You basically just said.

It's boring to run through the stages over and over again... but not if you happen to catch an elephant on the way.

You baisicly just said.

I cant think of anything else to say so I'm gonna insult your post with a pointless sarcastic comment sleep.png

Do you have a link to that article? Only if it was anything other than a responce to a stupid topic on the Sega forums I would be genually suprised that the majority of the fanbase wants or thinks that they're a good thing.

Well actually it was a response to a comment I saw on youtube. And if you dont believe that it's a popular request among fans then just look at

this video :

and take a look at the top comment.

I'm not saying everybody want's it but it's obviously a popular request.

And replay value? Mindlessly replaying specific stages just to find one type of animal that could only be found in one specific portion of a stage in which you could only hold a few at a time, Then hope you didn't accidentally get a different one when you finished the stage which dropped out the animals you caught which would undo all the work you just did... then you had to go to a seperate location, hope that none of them would run back out the door preventing them from ever being used. Then after hours of feeding the thing, you watch it fail at winning a race whilst you mindlessly bash buttons that don't seem to do a thing... repeat for hours on end until one day you wake up and your chao doesn't decide to fall asleep during a race.

Exactly how was that fun? That is not replay value, that is what is commonly known today as mindless grinding

Sounds like you have played the chao garden a lot yourself sir. laugh.png

Anyway I'm pretty sure many people enjoyed the replay value it brought because they continue to ask for it and if it and while it may have some flaws that does not mean it couldn't be polished up the next time.

Also I liked the chao karate more than the chao race.

Edited by Eastwood

You baisicly just said.

I cant think of anything else to say so I'm gonna insult your post with a pointless sarcastic comment sleep.png

Neither can you evidently.

And Hoggy did make a point

You basically just said:

"It's boring to run through the stages over and over again... but not if you happen to catch an elephant on the way."

The point being, running through the stage for fun, is no different to running through a stage for arbitrary collectibles to give to your chao. The latter is probably more tedious, because you HAVE to replay it to collect things for your chao. You don't have to replay the stages for fun if you don't want to.

You baisicly just said.

I cant think of anything else to say so I'm gonna insult your post with a pointless sarcastic comment

Sorry... that might work on the Sega forums but it's not going to wash here.

You said that it's boring to replay levels, but not if you're trying to catch a specific animal... Can you explain that thinking? How on earth can replaying levels because you want to and for your own enjoyment be more fun/have greater replay value than replaying them because the game wants you to for a mindless reason?

Well actually it was a response to a comment I saw on youtube. And if you dont believe that it's a popular request among fans then just look at

this video and take a look at the top comment.

I'm not saying everybody want's it but it's obviously a popular request.

... ... youtube comments? Seriously?

Alright then...

Lets assume that the total views on that video represent the Sonic fanbase exactly, every single person in the fanbase watched that video... thats 99,619 from when I looked.

31 of those want chao gardens.

Total percentage of the Sonic fanbase who liked the idea of chao gardens: 0.031%

You still stand by the claim that it's a popular choice?

Sounds like you have played the chao garden a lot yourself sir.

Only because you're forced too if you want to beat the game 100% and unlock all the collectibles/trophies/characters and everything else that they mindlessly tie into it. Which is probably the only reason that the majority of people even touch that aspect of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1