Awoo.

Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?

Nintendoga

You know, it just occurred to me.

Even if they did make a Sonic Adventure 3 (bear in mind Unleashed was originally going to be called that, and simply ended up as 'Sonic World Adventure' in Japan)?

You can bet there'd be an absolute truckload of butthurt from Adventure fans saying how the game 'isn't worthy' of being called Sonic Adventure 3, just because the game hasn't lived up to their unrealistic expectations and isn't exactly what they wanted. It's the same with Sonic 4. Okay, Sonic 4 was a bit broken in places, but still.

If Unleashed had been called Adventure 3, all the people who actually want Adventure 3 would just moan about how the game 'isn't really Sonic Adventure 3' because the gameplay styles are totally different. Of course, these are the same people who constantly try and deny the fact that, for all purpose and intent, Sonic 06 is (admittedly, an unfinished, broken attempt at) Sonic Adventure 3 in everything but name. Of course, they choose to deny this fact because, well, it's unfinished and broken. And that to accept Sonic 06 as SA3 would be admitting that the Adventure formula isn't the godly, franchise-saving holy grail that they envision it to be.

My point is, with things like Sonic 4 (before it happened) and Sonic Adventure 3, Sega can't win. Because of nostalgia, the fans who are blindly wanting for them have placed their precursors on such a high pedestal that nothing Sega could ever make or do would be considered 'worthy' of being Sonic Adventure 3 in their eyes.

God, imagine just how much backlash we'd have had if Sonic 06 had actually been called Sonic Adventure 3. I almost wish they had done that now, if only to stop the naive minority from thinking that Sonic Adventure 3 will automatically restore the franchise to glory.

Long story short, although I'm sure it's been said a hundred times? It's just a name. The people who desperately hark for Sonic Adventure 3 need to realise that.

Don't get me wrong, though; I adore the Adventure games, and whilst I certainly enjoy the Unleashed-style modern gameplay, deep down I do really miss the Adventure style of gameplay myself. Just because Sonic 06 was a broken mess doesn't mean it'd be impossible for them to make another good game in the Adventure style, but at the same time, the current gameplay seems to have been much more widely accepted by the general gaming public.

Again, I'm sure it's been said before, but ideally I'd love for them to find a way to integrate both the Adventure style and modern style of gameplay into a single game. Hell, even if it just means giving Tails and/ or Knuckles the slightly slower-paced Adventure style gameplay instead (without shooting and hunting, obviously) and leaving Sonic to his boost-happy modern gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it was, and I also believe that Sonic Adventure 2 was a good game. That doesn't change the fact that both games would have been much better had they stuck with the established gameplay style for at least 90% of their duration.

Because power-ups and vertical exploration are novel in this series? Classics much?

Anyway, I see no reason why guns can't, unless we should just remove Omega from the playable character pool and stack one more reason on top of the list detailing why Fang shouldn't ever appear in this series again. A gun being an extension of a way to attack is hardly some clashing ideal, the only difference from offensive Chaos Powers, particularly Spear, which people here always love to daydream about, being the aesthetics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. So don't tell me variety is this horrifying kiss of death you and everyone else are trying to make it out to be. I'm not talking about Sonic I'm talking about Sly. The folks who'll buy Sly 4 will know damn well what they are buying. A game full of variety because they like it and its more fun than 90% of raw platforming.

Problem with this "enlightened" statement of yours is that Sly 3 was a good game.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. So don't tell me variety is this horrifying kiss of death you and everyone else are trying to make it out to be. I'm not talking about Sonic I'm talking about Sly. The folks who'll buy Sly 4 will know damn well what they are buying. A game full of variety because they like it and its more fun than 90% of raw platforming.

Edited by T-Man

Nephy I would love to continue our discussion, but its almost 5 am over in America and frankly I need some sleep. CSS I leave it to you.

I'm assuming this gaping flaw you found in Sly 3 came out of the new characters like the Guru, Panda-king and Penelope. I assume you hated their contributions to the third game. I loved them. I'm just bewildered at the idea the the variety in Sly is a bad thing. That and comparing it to Sonic and now Mario. I'm not saying Sly is better. But so what if I was? Are you being serious? You know there is no objective answer to that. As for Tails or Knuckles. I don't want it to be as if I'm playing with Sonic with a different skin. Benson had some good ideas. I just didn't feel like responding to them.

Edited by Dejablue

Again, did any one of us say that? Because, in my opinion, variety is one of the things that makes the Sly series great. That is, variety in level design and challenges. Not variety in gameplay styles.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Considering Shadow's gameplay is based off of Sonic's then yeah it is a big deal, when you play as Shadow you expect him to play similarly to Sonic right? Has Sonic ever used guns before? If it was Omega I would be Ok with it, because Guns are his thing, but they aren't Shadow's. He's always had similar or downright the same gameplay as Sonic.

Edited by Nepenthe

I've only been coming to this conclusion for God knows how many years.

I thought that he meant don't put in so much variety that you lose the identity of the game you're making. A game full of variety that ends up conflicting on what it was trying to be is quite a problem. You expect to play a stealth action game, and some of the stuff in Sly 3 wasn't exactly stealth or actiony. There's nothing that says that Sly 4 will be a game full of variety, but honestly, that variety should still involve what the game was made to be and not chockfull of completely different genres of games completely different to it or at least be optional to the main stuff that goes on in the game.

Well Sly's games haven't exactly sunk down like Sonic's games has, so it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that. Although, this is still his fourth game.

And Dimitri and Carmelita. How the hell can you forget them? :lol:

Quite frankly, Guru and Panda King were pretty decent if only because the Guru was able to transform himself into inanimate objects to go undeteced and Panda King was overpowered as hell while still being fun. Carmelita was shaky; it was fun to jump hella high, but her combat could be a hit or a miss among some people. Pretty much Dimitri and Penelope I found to be boring, not that I want them out of the game, but it wouldn't be much to ask them to make something that is actually fun.

Actually, I'm kinda in agreement with Nepenthe here. Not that you didn't have any great points either, tho.

I'm assuming this gaping flaw you found in Sly 3 came out of the new characters like the Guru, Panda-king and Penelope. I assume you hated their contributions to the third game. I loved them.

Edited by T-Man

I will agree I didn't like Dimitri. But he came in at like the second to last area of the game. So he didn't do much. I loved Penelope's RC car, the only level I didn't like was one when you had to not trip off any alarms. But the level where you have to out run a burning trail of gunpowder was just amazing.

EDIT:

The game's cartoony nature doesn't make a bit of difference here. Fact is, the Sly series gained fans mostly because of its gameplay. Add too much gameplay that doesn't fall in line with the rest and some fans are gonna complain. Just like with Sonic Adventure 2.

Yes Sly Cooper got fans because of its gameplay. The gameplay which happens to be full of variety. Fans of Sly 2 carried over to Sly 3 and they still like Sly Cooper because of said variety in gameplay. You sir are not speaking for Sly Cooper fans. Your logic equation makes no sense.

Um...soo....what were we saying? About Sonic?

I still say put Tails in a plane at some point. Planes are teh fun.

Um...soo....what were we saying? About Sonic?

I still say put Tails in a plane at some point. Planes are teh fun.