Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

YoshiUnity

It was probably kept a secret from him, ala Roslina's story.

Wait, Rosalina's story was kept a secret from him, and that's the only way they got away with it? I................I................okay there's no doubt in my mind now, Miyamoto is holding back Nintendo's games and needs to be replaced pronto. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't see why everyone is so surprised about the inclusion of online multiplayer. This is Next Level Games developing, the people who had the honors of doing the first online Wii game with Mario Strikers Charged.

Final box-art released (not sure if this one's just for us Europeans or not)! gotta say, I'm really glad they've gone with 2 over 'Dark Moon'. Also, dat fourth wall.

19EZPRp.jpg?2

Whoa hey got a source for that?

Surprised they're so suddenly going back to "2", to be honest Dark Moon made perfect sense considering the leap in consoles between this and the previous game.

On the bright side I am personally interpreting the embracing of "2" to be a surefire sign we can expect a re-release of the original for newcomers on Wii U.

EDIT: Dunno why I asked for a source when I knew I'd go look it up myself as soon as I made this post lol.  Looks like it's just gonna be Dark Moon in the US now.

Edited by JezMM

Don't see why everyone is so surprised about the inclusion of online multiplayer. This is Next Level Games developing, the people who had the honors of doing the first online Wii game with Mario Strikers Charged.

For me, I didn't know who was developing, and I never played Mario Strikers Charged...it's a nice little surprise for me at least. :P I do kind of wish it was Luigi's Mansion 2 here in the states though...maybe that's a change coming soon.

Wait, Rosalina's story was kept a secret from him, and that's the only way they got away with it? I................I................okay there's no doubt in my mind now, Miyamoto is holding back Nintendo's games and needs to be replaced pronto.

I don't understand this mindset.

Edited by Ringo ~

Right. Because Rosalina's story was the big factor that made SMG such a success.

Well, no, but it was something different, something to spice the game up further, and give it a bit more of a story. And he took all that away in Galaxy 2. 

And the reason I made my first post is because of several things he's done to hold back games, the fact that he held back Sticker Star from having more of a plot included. This is like the tipping point for me. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, no, but it was something different, something new, something to spice the game up further, and give it a bit more of a story. And he took all that away in Galaxy 2. 

There were a lot of things that were new about the two Mario Galaxy games, and Miyamoto most likely had a hand in them.

Looks like it's just gonna be Dark Moon in the US now.

And Canada, if I'm not mistaken. It's always been the title in North America. 

Also I love the way the renders look, and the clay-mation feel they have to them. I'd love to see a game that looked like that. 

There were a lot of things that were new about the two Mario Galaxy games, and Miyamoto most likely had a hand in them.

Okay, but he took away some of the atmospheric elements of the first Galaxy, such as the observatory, which I loved. Also, Galaxy 2 has somewhat of a case of NSMB syndrome, as not much changed (In fact, stuff was removed: see hub world). 

Now, I don't hate him, and I won't deny that he's made some awesome games in his run, but I feel his viewpoint on game design and stuff is old and past it's time, and it's time for someone else to take the Nintendo torch. 

And with that, going skiing. I'll continue this when I get back. 

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty much better in every other single way though, you know, the ways that count in videogames.

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually like the Dark Moon subtitle. I mean the title in itself gives off on what the main plot will be about which is the Dark Moon. I also find it funny that when NSMB2 was announced people were complaining that Nintendo didn't stick with the name NSMB:Gold and now its seems to be the complete opposite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty much better in every other single way though, you know, the ways that count in videogames.

The idea that videogames have certain things that "matter" more than others simply because of the medium will only hold back creativity in the industry. It's great that Galaxy 2 had better gameplay and level design than Galaxy 1, but that doesn't explicitly mean atmosphere, story and staging "don't matter".

I actually like the Dark Moon subtitle. I mean the title in itself gives off on what the main plot will be about which is the Dark Moon. I also find it funny that when NSMB2 was announced people were complaining that Nintendo didn't stick with the name NSMB:Gold and now its seems to be the complete opposite.

For me it's just the fact that "Dark Moon" feels like a really generic subtitle, whereas New Super Mario Bros. Gold sounds pretty cool and unique somehow. It's hard to describe. It may be one of those cool ones where the title has a double meaning though like Sticker Star or Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, in which case by all means, Dark Moon it up.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Miyamoto is holding back Nintendo's games and needs to be replaced pronto.

Why does everyone keep saying this?

It's like people think Miyamoto's only job is to take out the story from Mario games. Miyamoto does a lot more and he is one of the biggest reasons why Nintendo is in their position today. Give him credit for once.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the issue with NSMB2 vs. NSMB:Gold is because it wasn't actually the second NSMB game.  Luigi's Mansion 2, though, is an accurate title.  I honestly don't mind which it is, though; as a European, I'll be getting Luigi's Mansion 2 rather than Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I really like that 2 graphic, but I don't feel any burning fury for the Dark Moon subtitle either.  Aside from it not being very original, I suppose, but then we're right back to the "story in Mario games!" issue.  How much plot, can somebody tell me, did the original Luigi's Mansion have?  Was plot essentially just something that existed at the very beginning and very end, or was there anything in-between?

Why does everyone keep saying this?

It's like people think Miyamoto's only job is to take out the story from Mario games. Miyamoto does a lot more and he is one of the biggest reasons why Nintendo is in their position today. Give him credit for once.

The amount of influence he has over other developers who make the games is quite startling.

I can never forgive him for what he did to Sticker Star

• Thumbs Up 6

How much plot, can somebody tell me, did the original Luigi's Mansion have?  Was plot essentially just something that existed at the very beginning and very end, or was there anything in-between?

It was fairly ongoing.  Somewhat comparitive to Mario Sunshine in the sense that there were only a couple of reveals throughout the story with dead periods inbetween, but that's still a lot better than Galaxy 2 or the first three NSMB games.  There was even a bit of excitement-inducing foreshadowing via the fortune teller steadily giving you hints on Mario's whereabouts and who had captured him.  Of course the fact that the game already had a completely original premise like no Mario game before it kind of added to that.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aside from it not being very original, I suppose, but then we're right back to the "story in Mario games!" issue.  How much plot, can somebody tell me, did the original Luigi's Mansion have?  Was plot essentially just something that existed at the very beginning and very end, or was there anything in-between?

Luigi's Mansion didn't have a heavy story, but there was a fairly normal story averaged throughout the game. 

This is the story or the game(In the spoiler for those poor people who haven't played the first one yet)

*Story that happens before the game*

E.Gadd collects alot of ghosts, he puts them in the portrait machine thing to turn them into portraits. He eventually catches a big Boo ghost called Boolususs, who was one of King Boo's best ghosts. This pisses him off so he sneaks into E.Gadd's lab and turns all the portraits back into real ghosts. He also creates the mansion near E.Gadd's lab for the ghost to hide in. Holding a huge grudge against the Mario Brothers, he sends Luigi a fake letter that tells him he won a free mansion.

Luigi gets the letter, He tells Mario and they both agree to meet up there later. Mario arrives first, but when he goes inside the mansion he is quickly captured by the ghosts. E.Gadd saw him go in, and went in after with the Poltergust 3000 to try and save him.

*Story that happens during the game*

Luigi arrives at the mansion, and before he is (captured/possibly killed?) by a ghost, he is rescued by E. Gadd. They both go back to his Lab and E.Gadd tells Luigi about "The red man who went into the mansion a little while ago". Luigi wants to save Mario so E.Gadd agrees to teach Luigi how to use the Poltergust 3000 before he goes in by himself.

*Skipping ahead a few hours*

Luigi accidentally finds and unleashes King Boo and his Boos from their hiding spot in the basement, as they were afraid of being sucked up by Luigi. A little while later, Luigi finds King Boo holding Mario hostage in a painting.

*Skipping ahead towards the end of the game*

Luigi finally faces King Boo, who tells him that all he wants is revenge on the Mario Bros, and wishes to trap Luigi in a painting as well next to Mario. He transports him and Luigi to the roof of the Mansion except the surrounding background is on fire. He also brings back a dead Bowser (It's not really made clear if Bowser is truly dead or if everyone just thinks so, as this game is hinted to take place after Sunshine) and uses his body as a vessel to hide in.

After the final battle, Luigi brings back Mario's Portrait to E.Gadd's lab, who reverses his machine to turn Mario back to normal. The game ends with Luigi

from saving Mario, who's just confused as fuck.

The game was also filled with alot of lore about the Portrait Ghosts who are in the mansion as well. It didn't really add anything to the main story, but it was a very nice thing for them to do that and it added to the experience.

I'm not saying the Luigi's Mansion was filled to the brim ala Metroid Prime, but (excluding the RPGs) it is the most story heavy Mario game to date. Dark Moon, I'm unsure of story-wise.

The plot seems alright, The Dark Moon breaks (I presume this is because of King Boo), the ghosts turn evil, so Luigi's gotta collect the pieces. It's the background and lore that I'm iffy about. All of that came from the Portrait Ghosts back in the first game, and so far this game seems to have no Portrait Ghosts or anything that seems like lore in the slightest. Granted we've only seen a couple of videos and mansions, but I'm sure Nintendo would've mentioned by now if there are Portrait Ghosts.

The fact that this is mission based instead of a more open worlded like the first seems to coincide with that fear of little lore. The missions seem to be "Luigi comes, he fights some ghosts, gets a piece of something, then leaves." I hope I am wrong, and while it won't affect the entire status of the game, it'll detract from the gaming experience a tiny bit for me, even though I'm trying to go into this game with the idea of "This game is not meant to be like the first one".

• Thumbs Up 1

Do like that box art, very nice. Also like how it's gone back to Luigi's Mansion 2 instead of the subtitle, don't really understand why it was changed in the first place.

In my opinion, this game is going to rock if it has copious amounts of Professor E. Gadd. That little guy makes any game better.

Luigi's Mansion didn't have a heavy story, but there was a fairly normal story averaged throughout the game. 

This is the story or the game(In the spoiler for those poor people who haven't played the first one yet)

*Story that happens before the game*

E.Gadd collects alot of ghosts, he puts them in the portrait machine thing to turn them into portraits. He eventually catches a big Boo ghost called Boolususs, who was one of King Boo's best ghosts. This pisses him off so he sneaks into E.Gadd's lab and turns all the portraits back into real ghosts. He also creates the mansion near E.Gadd's lab for the ghost to hide in. Holding a huge grudge against the Mario Brothers, he sends Luigi a fake letter that tells him he won a free mansion.

Luigi gets the letter, He tells Mario and they both agree to meet up there later. Mario arrives first, but when he goes inside the mansion he is quickly captured by the ghosts. E.Gadd saw him go in, and went in after with the Poltergust 3000 to try and save him.

*Story that happens during the game*

Luigi arrives at the mansion, and before he is (captured/possibly killed?) by a ghost, he is rescued by E. Gadd. They both go back to his Lab and E.Gadd tells Luigi about "The red man who went into the mansion a little while ago". Luigi wants to save Mario so E.Gadd agrees to teach Luigi how to use the Poltergust 3000 before he goes in by himself.

*Skipping ahead a few hours*

Luigi accidentally finds and unleashes King Boo and his Boos from their hiding spot in the basement, as they were afraid of being sucked up by Luigi. A little while later, Luigi finds King Boo holding Mario hostage in a painting.

*Skipping ahead towards the end of the game*

Luigi finally faces King Boo, who tells him that all he wants is revenge on the Mario Bros, and wishes to trap Luigi in a painting as well next to Mario. He transports him and Luigi to the roof of the Mansion except the surrounding background is on fire. He also brings back a dead Bowser (It's not really made clear if Bowser is truly dead or if everyone just thinks so, as this game is hinted to take place after Sunshine) and uses his body as a vessel to hide in.

After the final battle, Luigi brings back Mario's Portrait to E.Gadd's lab, who reverses his machine to turn Mario back to normal. The game ends with Luigi

from saving Mario, who's just confused as fuck.

The game was also filled with alot of lore about the Portrait Ghosts who are in the mansion as well. It didn't really add anything to the main story, but it was a very nice thing for them to do that and it added to the experience.

I'm not saying the Luigi's Mansion was filled to the brim ala Metroid Prime, but (excluding the RPGs) it is the most story heavy Mario game to date. Dark Moon, I'm unsure of story-wise.

The plot seems alright, The Dark Moon breaks (I presume this is because of King Boo), the ghosts turn evil, so Luigi's gotta collect the pieces. It's the background and lore that I'm iffy about. All of that came from the Portrait Ghosts back in the first game, and so far this game seems to have no Portrait Ghosts or anything that seems like lore in the slightest. Granted we've only seen a couple of videos and mansions, but I'm sure Nintendo would've mentioned by now if there are Portrait Ghosts.

The fact that this is mission based instead of a more open worlded like the first seems to coincide with that fear of little lore. The missions seem to be "Luigi comes, he fights some ghosts, gets a piece of something, then leaves." I hope I am wrong, and while it won't affect the entire status of the game, it'll detract from the gaming experience a tiny bit for me, even though I'm trying to go into this game with the idea of "This game is not meant to be like the first one".

You forgot to mention one of the most intersting part of the game

After defeating Boolususs, lighting hits the mansion and it turns the light off making all the ghosts run amuck.

Also I sort of got the feeling that this game came after 64. Because how would it be thought that Bowser was dead after Sunshine if in Sunshine he appears in the credits talking to Jr. Another reason I think LM came after Mansion is that we don't see Bowser in Sunshine until the end.

Also

this quote from Madame Clairvoya aludes to her thinking that Bowser is dead.

Ah, the spirits return to me! I see! I see! I see your dear Mario! The scene appears before me......... Wh-what is this!? Bowser!? How can this be!? I see the hideous form of Bowser! Is Bowser somewhere in this mansion? I cannot believe it... And yet I see it... I thought that Mario had soundly defeated Bowser! Has King Boo somehow revived Bowser? This could be horrible! Well, for you....... Uggghh! Ahhh no, the powers leave me! The spirits depart! This is all I can show you, Luigi... That was the last of my power. But I have given words to what the spirits have shown... so I can return to my painting satisfied. Send me there now, you vacuum-wielding rogue! Ahhhhh! Finally, I can return in peace to my painting... Sweet happiness in oils... I thank you... I thank you, kind Luigi!"

Thanks for the information on the amount of story in Luigi's Mansion.  This is what I was worried about: That there was a certain amount of story present in the game that could then be sucked out.  I wouldn't have minded so much if Luigi's Mansion had been largely plotless, but now it seems like a shame that probably Luigi's Mansion 2 will have zero plot between the opening and ending cutscenes.  I could be being too pessimistic about this, but it seems likely for this game to be a product of Nintendo's ongoing plotless phase (which will hopefully have otherwise ended with the Sticker Star backlash).

Do like that box art, very nice. Also like how it's gone back to Luigi's Mansion 2 instead of the subtitle, don't really understand why it was changed in the first place.

It was always 2 in Europe and always Dark Moon in America, and it's staying that way.  That's my understanding of the situation.

Was thinking, would've been really cool to have a lenticular cover that goes from a relatively spooked Luigi with the background as it is, to a terrified one with a bunch of ghosts behind him. Ah well.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was gonna pre-order from Grainger Games but for the extra £3 it's worth it, pretty cool bonus

Edited by Red