Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

YoshiUnity

Way ahead of you, Swiss. The Dual Scream ringtone is now my phone ringtone too!

I just hope it's not a crazy professor on the other end shouting "Looeeeeeeeegee!" or "yabbo yabbo!" when I answer future calls.

I wanna do that but, I still don't know how the hell to work this smartphone I got months ago. Why am I so dumb?

These seems entirely pointless. I just read that there's a slight difference in story between the US/JP versions and the EU ones. In the EU scripts the Dark Moon is an E. Gadd invention. It's an artifact in the US and JP versions.

So in the EU game he's just trying to repair it instead of study it?

No, it just Nintendo hates everyone who lives in Europe. End of story please.

Yep. I don't know why, did they think the fact that it was some mysterious artifact was too ridiculous for the Mario universe? This is the same universe where there are false suns with angry faces.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's apparently a satellite that he uses to send out a signal to calm the ghosts. In the US version it's just a mysterious artifact that does that on its own.

These seems entirely pointless. I just read that there's a slight difference in story between the US/JP versions and the EU ones. In the EU scripts the Dark Moon is an E. Gadd invention. It's an artifact in the US and JP versions.

Is there? Can't say I've noticed much mention of it, and I'm playing the EU version.

It kinda makes sense for the Dark Moon to be an E. Gadd invention though - generally speaking, ghosts in the Mario universe are bad or mischievous, so understandably the professor would have created something to control their personalities for his own purposes. Of course, the magical macguffin concept works fine too, and for the amount of weight it actually plays in the overall story (i.e. very little), I don't see it as much of a problem whichever way it's presented.

On a related note - which title does everyone prefer? Luigi's Mansion 2, or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Just curious.

I'm more of a numbers guy than a subtitles guy myself, I know it doesn't matter at all but I'm just kinda envious that you guys got Luigi's Mansion 2 haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it should have been called Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon.  It's a tiny aesthetic detail, but it gives off a different feeling.  Without the 2 it seems more like a spinoff than a sequel, and without the subtitle it doesn't seem as creative.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think it should have been called Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon.  It's a tiny aesthetic detail, but it gives off a different feeling.  Without the 2 it seems more like a spinoff than a sequel, and without the subtitle it doesn't seem as creative.

Yeah, I agree with this. Something about calling it Luigi's Mansion 2 gives it the kind of significance that it deserves, but Dark Moon gives it a different spin and helps distinguish it from the original in terms of not just story, but approach, and even platform. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon would have been a perfectly acceptable title, why they didn't go with it is beyond me - now we have two very different titles that seem to represent different concepts, as you say (direct sequel vs spin-off). Nintendo, why you so confusing sometimes?

EDIT: Just threw together both logos in Photoshop to see how it looked, and in my opinion it looks more complete having both the number and subtitle. Oh well.

luigismansion2darkmoonfb.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I agree with this. Something about calling it Luigi's Mansion 2 gives it the kind of significance that it deserves, but Dark Moon gives it a different spin and helps distinguish it from the original in terms of not just story, but approach, and even platform. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon would have been a perfectly acceptable title, why they didn't go with it is beyond me - now we have two very different titles that seem to represent different concepts, as you say (direct sequel vs spin-off). Nintendo, why you so confusing sometimes?

EDIT: Just threw together both logos in Photoshop to see how it looked, and in my opinion it looks more complete having both the number and subtitle. Oh well.

luigismansion2darkmoonfb.png

Then explain to me how the Paper Mario series can get away with not having any numbered sequels?

Completed the game yesterday and just finished hunting the rest of the Boo's today. I love this game! (will write about it in more detail another time)

I have a question though, is there any extra content to unlock after completing the game? You know the map that shows all the mansion locations (where the clouds clear away to show the next area?) There was a small space on the far right of the map and nothing appears there during the story. Could you get an extra area for 100% completing the game? Also after looking around there seems to be some confusion on how to get all the E-Gadd medals on your save file. Apparently there are 3, the known ones are one for completing the game, another for getting the highest rank on all missions.

Edited by Guest

Then explain to me how the Paper Mario series can get away with not having any numbered sequels?

Well, for quite a while, The Thousand-Year Door was just called Paper Mario 2. The reason that series doesn't need numbered sequels is that each game is a self-contained story and has few to no ties with the previous entries. Also, only Paper Mario and The Thousand-Year Door could truly be considered as following on from one another numerically, as neither Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star could be truly seen as Paper Mario 3 (or 4, even) as they are too different and too experimental compared to the more traditonal RPG style of the first two games.

This is not to say Luigi's Mansion 2 isn't self-contained or doesn't do new things, but it's very much a follow-on to the original rather than just another game in the same style, as is the case with the Paper Mario series.

I really think they just removed the 2 for marketing reasons. When people see a number, they know it's a sequel and think they need to watch, play, or red the ones before it in order to be able to experience the new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh thank heavens! They do acknowledge the fact that King Boo escaped from his portrait after the end of the first game! The reasoning behind it though is less exciting...

E. Gadd gave the portrait away at a car boot sale (or garage sale, as I'm sure it reads in the US version) - and the rest we are left to work out ourselves, unless King Boo gives away some more detail about it right at the end of the game. I'm not 100% done with the story yet so maybe there's more to come. At any rate, as weak a plot point as that may be, it's nice to see them take note of the continuity and not just have King Boo back with no explanation other than "it's Luigi's Mansion therefore we have King Boo". I am seriously digging and respecting everything this game does.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh thank heavens! They do acknowledge the fact that King Boo escaped from his portrait after the end of the first game! The reasoning behind it though is less exciting...

E. Gadd gave the portrait away at a car boot sale (or garage sale, as I'm sure it reads in the US version) - and the rest we are left to work out ourselves, unless King Boo gives away some more detail about it right at the end of the game. I'm not 100% done with the story yet so maybe there's more to come. At any rate, as weak a plot point as that may be, it's nice to see them take note of the continuity and not just have King Boo back with no explanation other than "it's Luigi's Mansion therefore we have King Boo". I am seriously digging and respecting everything this game does.

Yeah, it was a Garage Sale over here. I thought it was rather humorous - something an old coot like E. Gadd would do, without realizing the consequences. At the very least, I was happy that they acknowledged the first game. \

Yeah, it was a Garage Sale over here. I thought it was rather humorous - something an old coot like E. Gadd would do, without realizing the consequences. At the very least, I was happy that they acknowledged the first game. \

Agreed, it's definitely in keeping with E. Gadd's character - he gave away a magic paintbrush to Bowser Jr. after all, and look at all the mess (quite literally) that caused in Super Mario Sunshine! He's a scatterbrained lunatic who can't speak English properly, but by jove do I love his oddities.

Huh, I must have missed that.  I just thought it was one of those "I got better." scenarios.  But it is cool that there is some continuity there. Nintendo doesn't usually pay that much attention to it in Mario games; Super Mario Galaxy 2 had literally the same exposition as the first game and yet no one seemed to have any memory of the event.

welp its gotten to the point where all conversation is in spoilers. See you here when I finish the game.