Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

YoshiUnity

Oh, I thought ya'll were talking about the new footage from the Direct.

The cinematics and puzzles look so good. Also is it me or do the graphics seem a bit better now? The new ghosts look cool too.

It's a bit sad to here him confirm that instead of being a more horror-type game like the first one, it's a light-hearted adventure with comedic scenes. Won't affect my decision to purchase, but maybe the next game will have a more dark atmosphere.

Oh, I thought ya'll were talking about the new footage from the Direct.

The cinematics and puzzles look so good. Also is it me or do the graphics seem a bit better now? The new ghosts look cool too.

It's a bit sad to here him confirm that instead of being a more horror-type game like the first one, it's a light-hearted adventure with comedic scenes. Won't affect my decision to purchase, but maybe the next game will have a more dark atmosphere.

fun since the title has dark in it

I struggle to imagine either Luigi's Mansion game as a straight up horror game.  It always seemed like a more light hearted parody of horror games to me.

Also, I have a sort of random question I wanted to throw out.  Do you think of Luigi's Mansion as a genuine spin off series, or just another branch of the Mario series?  And as a follow up, how do you think of Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island.

I have to say, I used to think of Luigi's Mansion as just another Mario game, because Luigi is so deeply entwined in that series, but very recently I had a sort of epiphany and realized that there really was no sense in that.  The gameplay is entirely different and it has its own lead character.  It's basically exactly the same as DKC or YI.

There is a lot more going on with Nintendo's games than Miyamoto. He's an amazing designer and has had a huge hand in creating most of the very memorable experiences Nintendo has every done - but he's also one of the major factors that were previously holding the company back from expanding technologically.

He doesn't need to be removed, although he could benefit by loosening his ideals of online play (as he seemingly has been lately). There's no reason to not include online play these days as long as the local multiplayer that he has been so keen about is still included.

Regardless, this Luigi's Mansion sequel looks better every time I see it. I can't wait to pick it up and give it a go.

I can't think of anything "horror-esque" about the original other than it playing with the tropes of classic horror stuff in a lighthearted way.

And no don't mention the hanging Luigi shadow as if that was a legitimate feature that was most certainly 100% intended.

Anyway yeah, before I would have just considered Luigi's Mansion a spin-off game, standalone, but with the addition of a sequel, I would consider this to be the "Luigi" sub-series just as I considered Wario and Yoshi to have their own series as soon as Wario Land II and Yoshi's Story arrived.

Donkey Kong somehow feels way further removed than Yoshi and Wario mind you.  Like for some reason they don't feel like they even take place in the same game universe, even though they've crossed over so many times in spin-off games they must do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going back to the whole meddling Miyamoto thing, didn't the Iwata Asks of Sticker Star basically reveal that the scriptwriter had the same idea regarding the story (or lack thereof) regardless of his recommendation? Though, I do agree with Woolfy's assessment.

Game is looking fantastic by the way.

I never saw the original LM as a horror game, more as a comical popup game. doesn't look like that will be removed

I struggle to imagine either Luigi's Mansion game as a straight up horror game.  It always seemed like a more light hearted parody of horror games to me.

Also, I have a sort of random question I wanted to throw out.  Do you think of Luigi's Mansion as a genuine spin off series, or just another branch of the Mario series?  And as a follow up, how do you think of Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island.

I have to say, I used to think of Luigi's Mansion as just another Mario game, because Luigi is so deeply entwined in that series, but very recently I had a sort of epiphany and realized that there really was no sense in that.  The gameplay is entirely different and it has its own lead character.  It's basically exactly the same as DKC or YI.

Luigi's Mansion as of now can be considered a series we have the offical games LM and LM:Dark Moon and a mini game in Nintendo Land. plus the game play is different from the mario series. if it was called Luigi's Adventure and it had all the staple Mario series elements then I would consider it a Mario series game with Luigi playable (aka New Super Luigi U). Yoshi's Island is in my opinion another series. Because even if it is a platform element similar to the Mario series it has more of Yoshi's abilities like throwing eggs as the main focus. DK is a special case in itself because like many have said DK spends most of his time in the Mario universe in sporting events while DKC games have no elements of Mario in them. The only true reason to include DK as canon Mario sub-series in terms of platformers is Yoshi's Island DS where he is a baby.

Going back to the whole meddling Miyamoto thing, didn't the Iwata Asks of Sticker Star basically reveal that the scriptwriter had the same idea regarding the story (or lack thereof) regardless of his recommendation? Though, I do agree with Woolfy's assessment.

Game is looking fantastic by the way.

What  is interesting is and you are probably right about that scriptwriter "agreeing" with Miyamotos recommendations is that Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and M & L: Dream Team (mostly the former since we know more about it) have alot of personality and variety in terms of bosses like that Giant spider in Dark Moon and the Online in Dark Moon as well. And with M & L: Dream Team we have already seen enemies that are not the generic Mario villians. So it seems Miyamoto shouldn't recieve all the blame.

This is the opening video of the game!!

I love it.

So Luigi went with a modest house after the events of the first game. Something in me says that this is his vacation home away from the house that he and mario live in. I don't know about you guys but I saw about 6 or 7 dark moon pieces in that trailer. 6 or 7 Mansions confirmed?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the Intro and Opening cutscenes, guys. It looks pretty good, I must say.

Not gonna watch it because the game comes out only in a few weeks, I'd like the game to be primarily a fresh experience.

This is what should be a requirement for all Mario games is that they should be full of life. All of the characters should have personalities and they should be exemplified.

Now that I think of it, wouldn't that be contrary to the point? I mean the ghosts are not living and thus it should be called full of death, but they are the living undead and if they were alive that would be their version of being dead...

Now my brain hurts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait, it's out this month?! Holy hell, I didn't think it would be that soon! Must've missed the date if it was announced before now, but oh lordy am I excited!

HNNNNGH

EDGE gave the game an 8/10 in their magazine.

Probably expect more reviews in the coming week.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, it's a bit late but....

Nintendo of America made some Valentine's Day cards

and holy shit are they funny

ncGBotq.jpg

Luigis-Mansion-Dark-Moon-Valentines-Day-

This last one is very suspicious...

jbo7EPLqgvqJ0q.jpg
lol nah this one ain't real

More here: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-assumes-the-role-of-cupid-with-these-luigis-mansion-themed-valentines-day-cards/#more-611570676

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 6

Luigi's Mansion 2 was awarded 92% by Official Nintendo Magazine.

Weegee's comeback is looking promising!

• Thumbs Up 4

And for those who are looking to download the digital version, the game is 6,748 blocks

So can a Nintendo nerd tell me what the blocks converted into MB/GB is? For comparison Fire Emblem Awakening is around 8,500 blocks, while Paper Mario Stickur Sturr is around 4,000

Yeah, not bad at all. EDGE doesn't like to hurl out scores over 7 without good reason, right?

That's right, EDGE are generally known to work on a scale that many would consider to be - for the want of a better word - "harsher" than most others. So an 8 from them is really quite something.

And for those who are looking to download the digital version, the game is 6,748 blocks

So can a Nintendo nerd tell me what the blocks converted into MB/GB is? For comparison Fire Emblem Awakening is around 8,500 blocks, while Paper Mario Stickur Sturr is around 4,000

8 Blocks = 1MB

That would make Dark Moon around 844 MB, Fire Emblem at just over 1GB, and Paper Mario at 500 MB

Edited by Jetronic
  • Thumbs Up 1

GameXplain preview

Q&A

Game is said to be around 15-20 hours long

Edited by BlueTidalGamer