Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)

YoshiUnity

15-20 hours long? Holy crap. I knew they were trying to make it a way bigger game than the first LM but I was expecting it to be just an hour or three longer than that game was.

Can't freaking wait now. Between the single-player and multi-player I'm going to be playing this for quite a while.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Glow in the dark cover for Europe!

BFW6PKDCEAA1VGG.jpg

...while stocks last, that is. Better nab this one up while you can!

With this exclusive cover and the Boo stress ball from GAME, Nintendo are seriously giving Luigi some love here in Europe. Which is AWESOME.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's because Europe's spent many years being the Luigi to America's Mario.

Harsh, but true.

Maybe that's why the game is an actual numbered sequel here in Europe, to emphasise the fact that Luigi is back in another starring role at last. In America it's just like "oh, another one of those Luigi games, just slap a subtitle on it so it doesn't look quite as important and get it out so we can work on the next Mario"

:P

The following details come from the GT.TV interview with Shigeru Miyamoto...

- Miyamoto says Luigi has always had a special place in his heart, but hasn't always had a chance to stand out.

- Miyamoto says that perhaps some day there will come a time where Mario and Luigi need another brother.

- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was created for the 3DS because Nintendo experimented with a 3D screen during development of the original Luigi's Mansion.

- Miyamoto has been working on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for quite some time.

- The Pikmin 3 team is close to Miyamoto's desk, so he's able to work closely with them on a daily basis.

- Miyamoto says Nintendo is working very hard on things for E3. We might get to see things that haven't been mentioned yet, but we'll definitely get to see things that Iwata has shown during Nintendo Direct events.

http://www.gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=107798

Another brother for Mario and Luigi he says? Hmm.....

http://www.gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=107798

Another brother for Mario and Luigi he says? Hmm.....

A third Mario brother? Just... no. I'd much rather they start using Wario and/or Waluigi in the main games than make up a whole new one, and especially one that will just screw up the entire series continuity.

EDIT: Luigi's Mansion 2 was inspired by Mr Bean!

"Watching Luigi is kind of like watching a Mr. Bean episode. You know he's going to get into trouble, but you're kind of surprised about where it's going to come from. We did watch a lot of Mr. Bean in the beginning to get reference for the character animations, so he's kind of like that hapless fool and reluctant hero. He's trying to live his life, but you know what the joke is before he does."

Full interview here: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/15/4110408/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wont-just-rely-on-nostalgia-to-win-players

• Thumbs Up 2

Who else is expecting the return of Stanley the Bugman for this?

Isn't he Mario's cousin? 

Isn't he Mario's cousin? 

His relationship to the Mario brothers is never mentioned. The same could be assumed for Wario.

Edited by Scheming Minor

Isn't he Mario's cousin? 

If I recall correctly, yep. He was the playable character in Donkey Kong 3, where you had to stop an insect invasion in a greenhouse orchestrated by Donkey(Young!Cranky?) Kong by spraying them to death with bug spray.

His relationship to the Mario brothers is never mentioned.

Well, I guess now would be a good time to bring him back and establish his relationship with the Mario Bros, right?

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, the idea of adding new Mario Bros. is an idea that I've been pondering since New Super Mario Bros. Wii, because that game created a very specific situation where they needed what would be, for all intents and purposes, four Mario Bros.  Specifically, it was a game that was

A]  built around the abilities of the Mario Bros. (the agility and trick jumps), and

B]  designed to have all of the characters play exactly the same

Even though the series has a lot of characters, none of them are similar enough to the Mario Bros. to properly fit the role of "Player 3 and Player 4 Marios."  Hence, the toads.  They weren't actually a good choice for the role, but were instead a semi-reasonable alternative to making a genuinely bad choice.

Having said all of that, seeing Nintendo pull some sort of long lost Mario brother out of their ass would be pretty stupid.  If they do it at all, it would probably be wiser to make it a "Mario cousin" or two.  Someone who would be somewhat closely related to the Mario Bros. without raising the issue of figuring out where the heck they'd been for all these years.

A new brother wouldn't screw up the continuity if done right. Yoshi's Island showed us the life of Mario and Luigi up to the point where they were at their parents house. We don't know if Mario and Luigi's parents had previous children or had more after their birth. Still i may have set an example but I most certainly do not want another brother. Luigi needs more love first. ( Year of Luigi is a start). Then how about giving Wario some platforming love too.

Edited by Shy Guy

Awww! Look at this news story!

On March 18th. All gamestop employees have to wear this!

ijIpjM0.jpg

Ok the hat is kinda cool and wearing that isn't bad... but then you see this!

Ce8xszE.jpg

Hurrr hurr hur... haha... AHAHAHA. I bet they're all over the moon.

• Thumbs Up 6

I want that hat... can I have that hat... how much is that hat... I'll pay for that hat... I want to see that hat... what a nice hat.

Edited by Noel the Gunslinger

I want that hat... can I have that hat... how much is that hat... I'll pay for that hat... I want to see that hat... what a nice hat.

The hat is awesome, but the mustache... as someone who has had to wear several fake bears and facial hair on stage... you have no idea how uncomfortable these things are, and if they 'have' to wear them all day long, they're not gonna be happy =p

I can see the stache being annoying... but that hat... I WANT THAT HAT!

I've seen it in stores before. FYI has it

I have that hat. Found it in some place that sells DVDs, they also had a Mario one...but I got the Luigi one. 

So... random question, but has it been explained how King Boo is back in this game? Y'know, seeing as last time we saw him he was trapped inside a painting? I can assume he's shattered the Dark Moon as a way of getting revenge on Luigi and E. Gadd, but... how is he even a part of this game in the first place? Are we just meant to assume he's escaped of his own free will and no one will bat an eyelid about it, aside from "oh snap King Boo is back!"?

Why the 18th? Do you mean the 24th?

Nope the 18th.

For some reason they have to start wearing it then for some reason. I guess it's for pre-orders, or they got their dates wrong on the memo.

GameXplain preview

Q&A

Game is said to be around 15-20 hours long

It takes about 15-20 hours long to beat the main story or to 100% complete everything?