Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

>passing up the chance to work for based Kamiya because of shitty console wars

>passing up the chance to have Platnum Games on your list of past employers

>laughingsaladlady.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, I absolutely do not believe this guy is a real developer.

You do not turn down a job at platinum fucking games because they made two exclusives. Nobody is that stupid besides the average console fanboy who doesn't understand what you have to do make a living to begin with because they haven't left their parents  yet.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, DKC:TF came out in Japan and reached the #2 spot for this week. But it only sold 30k about and barely increased sales. What does NeoGAF do? PRAISE THE FACT THAT DKC ISN'T SELLING IN JAPAN!

So are they actually saying things like how awesome it is that the game is bombing? If they're not, it's difficult to discern whether they're actually happy about the game not selling well, because Japanese sales are a VERY different beast from Western ones.

Number 2 in the Japanese charts is pretty good providing that it can get momentum for the next few weeks and over 35,000 copies sold so far seems decent/quite good considering the user base and that it was going against a Dragon Quest game (over 100k sales). Dreading to think of the UK charts when they get announced on Monday... Predicting in the mid 20s at the best and out of the charts at the worst (like Mario & Sonic Sochi), even though in the past Donkey Kong actually does quite decently.

Anyway I'm looking forward to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at the end of the week (hopefully get it on Saturday, if not a bit later) and Mario Kart 8 but after that, I'm actually worried in terms of the games. All those indie games that were talked about on the latest US Nintendo Direct? Never mentioned once on the EU one and from what I've read from Nicalis who is a publisher who will be publishing one game that interests me (The 90s Arcade Racer), Nintendo of Europe gets the lowest priority out of the 3 regions and mention that they aren't sure when the game comes out in Europe. All they know is that it will be much later than the US.

Hopefully by E3 time, Nintendo will announce some games that are to my interests otherwise it is going to be worrying and thinking back towards the N64 days, unlike the N64 though no Rare and not as much racing games. Really glad that the Wii U has backwards compatibility though and have been using it as a Wii lately (playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii).

Oh out of curiousity, what Wii U models are in the Middle East since it doesn't seem to be an official supported region and imports? Are they the European PAL [closest] or the American NTSC ones [more supply]?

From what I've gathered from different topics on this board, GAF tends to look at the business side of things regardless of what console it is.

From what I've gathered from different topics on this board, GAF tends to look at the business side of things regardless of what console it is.

We do. The monthly NPDs are a huge event on the site - there's an official thread for us to make bets on how everything will have sold in the official report, and when the official report is posted the thread for that typically gets hundreds of replies in a really short amount of time. Threads are often also made about more individual things, like a "3DS NPD Post Mortem" thread that popped up the other day, and then there's the official threads for Media Create (Japan's NPD, basically) and official statements by the companies.

It's not strictly a message board about sales, but yes the business side of the industry is a very, very common topic and is discussed by just about everyone.

On another note, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was just graced the worst opening sales of any Donkey Kong game ever, including the GameCube spinoffs. It also barely sold any systems - the Wii U went from selling 7,180 units in Japan last week to selling 8,782 after Donkey Kong. 

I'd love to see where the biased anti-Nintendo collective hive mind of GAF was praising bad sales by the way, PSI.

I apologize. I was in a hurry and I heard about them praising it but I just checked and they weren't. Honestly, with all the shitty news we get every day, I just took it for granted.

The comparisons are stupid.

True, the original sold 100k opening week. But that was on a system that had 80x the market share. The Wii U with its no market selling a 1/3 it's decent. Especially in a dying console market and opening with #2.

Other regions are more important. Japan's sales have been low lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

The comparisons are stupid.

True, the original sold 100k opening week. But that was on a system that had 80x the market share. The Wii U with its no market selling a 1/3 it's decent. Especially in a dying console market and opening with #2.

Other regions are more important. Japan's sales have been low lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can only comment on what we see. It had a bad opening in Japan. That's about all there is to say right now.

We'll see how it does in the USA, but I'm not going to expect much (and I actually really loved the first game).

I apologize. I was in a hurry and I heard about them praising it but I just checked and they weren't. Honestly, with all the shitty news we get every day, I just took it for granted.

You need to keep a cooler head when it comes to this stuff then, bro. I'm not very fond of Nintendo's current situation either, but false accusations like that could make this situation even uglier. Besides, even if they were, I honestly don't think Neogaf taking a few shots at Nintendo worth flipping out over.

Nintendo'll come back from this, no doubt. This shithole they're in sucks but it won't last.

Sales numbers aside, when was being #2 considered bad exactly? Maybe the game will have long legs, who knows? You can analyze all you want but anything can happen in this industry.

You need to keep a cooler head when it comes to this stuff then, bro. I'm not very fond of Nintendo's current situation either, but false accusations like that could make this situation even uglier. Besides, even if they were, I honestly don't think Neogaf taking a few shots at Nintendo worth flipping out over.

Nintendo'll come back from this, no doubt. This shithole they're in sucks but it won't last.

I'm just depressed lately when it comes to this industry. I just want to play fun games full of imagination. It's why I like Neptunia. It's an outrageous idea that came out of nowhere and while the first game sucked, the idea grew into a relatively good JRPG series.

It is pretty decent for Japan and especially for a console that, like Autosaver said, has much less market share than the Wii did. I'm curious to see how well it does in NA, but it's pretty obvious already that it won't sell a whole lot in Europe just like SM3DW. =[

It is pretty decent for Japan and especially for a console that, like Autosaver said, has much less market share than the Wii did. I'm curious to see how well it does in NA, but it's pretty obvious already that it won't sell a whole lot in Europe just like SM3DW. =[

Wii U is beyond dead in Europe, honestly. Especially the UK. The only countries it ever saw (meager) success in were the US and Japan. Japan's pretty much the only place it has left now, and even then it's not particularly doing well without any competition yet to boot.

On the next episode of "Wii U's dead, everyone go home already".. :v

Ready for DKC:TF to come out already. Sent Return to Dreamland back to Gamefly just in time for them to send it to me on launch day. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

The OST is what mainly convinced me into getting Tropical Freeze a bit sooner than I originally planned, haha. 

Off TV Play + Headphones =  BLISS. 

Still kinda bummed that the next major release (Mario Kart 8) is all the way out in May. 

On a serious note why do we keep talking about sales? It's a constant back and forth argument that has no winner can we talk about something new for a change please?

On a serious note why do we keep talking about sales? It's a constant back and forth argument that has no winner can we talk about something new for a change please?

1. Constant influx of new information.

2. It's fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

2. It's fun.

It's fun having a back and forth argument that leads nowhere and gets people(yourself at times) irratated? Ch'eah ok

2. It's fun.

It's fun having a back and forth argument that leads nowhere and gets people(yourself at times) irratated? Ch'eah ok

Sigh, and this is why I dont talk in here much

Oh and in case you didnt notice, Retro studios have been putting out a lot of job openings, looks like they are expanding, MAJORLY as in perhaps they plan to get another development team up and running levels

I sometimes find I have just as much fun discussing the state of the industry with other informed and emotionally invested people as I do actually playing games. It's something I genuinely enjoy.

My frustrations stem from people who deliberately ignore or deny factual information, or act aggressive and angry for no reason at all. You might notice my debates in here with certain people like SuperLink are civil and detailed because I really enjoy tossing ideas around with him. Getting sales data and looking at charts, and interpreting them in different ways and discussing possible future moves for the companies involved is fun. It stops being fun when people fall into ad hominem and accusations of imaginary bias.

• Thumbs Up 5