Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

What's this? A new title for Wii U?

His much will this be on Wii U? Looks really cool, wouldn't mind buying this. Btw is that Roger Craig Smith as Batman in Blackgate or Will Arnet?

His much will this be on Wii U? Looks really cool, wouldn't mind buying this. Btw is that Roger Craig Smith as Batman in Blackgate or Will Arnet?

20 bucks

Says it's coming to PC too.

I'll wait till it's $3 on Steam.

No one fucking liked Blackgate, so I'm not sure why they went with this. I would have gone with Arkham Origins Definitive Edition for the current gen consoles.

You know, provided the game is actually fucking stable this time.

No one fucking liked Blackgate, so I'm not sure why they went with this.

Isn't that exactly why they went with this?  The original didn't earn enough, so they rushed out a (likely pre-anticipated) HD version to try and recoup more of the money spent on development.  Same deal as with Lords Of Shadow: Mirror Of Fate HD - uncannily similar situation, actually - and indeed Resident Evil: Revelations HD, though I think the situation there was a bit different.

Isn't that exactly why they went with this?  The original didn't earn enough, so they rushed out a (likely pre-anticipated) HD version to try and recoup more of the money spent on development.  Same deal as with Lords Of Shadow: Mirror Of Fate HD - uncannily similar situation, actually - and indeed Resident Evil: Revelations HD, though I think the situation there was a bit different.

But it was a failure for more than just commercial reasons. It's a very shitty cash-in that would have been better as DLC for the main game.

Most people are probably aware of this so will it really sell that well?

I just found out something that makes many of my remarks about the Wii U pontless; the price is actually really good! With Sonic Boom coming and stuff like DKC and Sonic Lost World out, I asked how much the Wii U Basic costs used, coming to the huge surprise that its only 200$ (with the expected 20-25+ tax cost)! That is a great price for a machine that replaces my old Wii and can play the handful of Wii U exclusives that I'm interested in, so I may be a Wii U owner by June of this year biggrin.png.

As for the topic at hand, developers porting their handheld projects over the home consoles really isn't that bad of a move; why have the better version you have on your development kits just stay there when you could put them up on home consoles to get some more sales and fix some of the intial flaws of the original product. Seeing many handheld exclusives go this route (RE: R, AC: Liberation, Castlevanna LOS: Mirror of Fate and Batman Origins Blackgate) is interesting to see, but its not a very worrying thing. Now if first party studios start porting their games to their home consoles (Nintendo putting Luigi's Mansion 2 or KI on Wii U/Sony putting Tearaway or Killzone Mercenary on PS3/4) then that must mean something :(.

Sony putting Tearaway or Killzone Mercenary on PS3/4

Slightly off topic here, but Tearaway won't be going to any platform without being radically altered. The game's core design is built around the Vita's hardware features like the back touchpad and camera.

Slightly off topic here, but Tearaway won't be going to any platform without being radically altered. The game's core design is built around the Vita's hardware features like the back touchpad and camera.

I know that, it was just a hypothetical example as it is one of the major releases for the Vita (and the most likely candidate for a home console port; the poor game sold like crap when it is amazing :().

A pleasant surprise, according to here: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is Number 4 in the most sold units chart and Number 9 overall in the UK charts. While I'm not 100% correct, I believe that it has been the highest or one of the highest that a Wii U game as been on the charts higher than Super Mario 3D World. To think my prediction was in the mid 10s...

Then again since it was half term week, the charts have been mainly focused on a younger demographic such as Lego games and Minecraft plus there haven't been many new games this week (only Rayman Legends current gen, Far Cry: The Wild Expedition [no 16 on the PS3 charts so that's really low] and a few downloadables). If it keeps up in the next few weeks, then it will do okay however most Wii U games drop out of the chart pretty quickly so...

Please pardon the cross-posting, but I found a pretty cool deal:

Get Donkey Kong for 30% off at Game Stop: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/trade-in

All you need to do is trade in a working game or accessory. Pretty neat deal. I'll be trading in my copy of Rayman 3D.

30% extra in-store credit when you trade any games, accessories, systems, smartphones, media players or tablets toward the following games:
  • Thief
  • South Park Stick of Truth
  • Titanfall
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Valid 2/17/14 - 3/23/14

It's US only, though. :[

A pleasant surprise, according to here: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is Number 4 in the most sold units chart and Number 9 overall in the UK charts. While I'm not 100% correct, I believe that it has been the highest or one of the highest that a Wii U game as been on the charts higher than Super Mario 3D World. To think my prediction was in the mid 10s...

Then again since it was half term week, the charts have been mainly focused on a younger demographic such as Lego games and Minecraft plus there haven't been many new games this week (only Rayman Legends current gen, Far Cry: The Wild Expedition [no 16 on the PS3 charts so that's really low] and a few downloadables). If it keeps up in the next few weeks, then it will do okay however most Wii U games drop out of the chart pretty quickly so...

Blimey, I didn't expect Donkey Kong to have done that well! Granted, it could still be a pretty low number of actual sales, but to see it so high up in the charts is a pleasant surprise nevertheless. It even beat FIFA, of all things! Looks like the Wii U might just about have some life in it yet.

It will likely not outsell DKCR though... Which is a shame. Has this console's sales bumped up yet or is it still dead in the water?

Was anything else released this week?

Was anything else released this week?

The LEGO Movie game was released on the 14th, but that's apparently beating DKCTF. That's to be expected with the film taking the box office by storm.