Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Not really? One thread for discussion of game-specific news and the games, another thread for sales and nintendo policy and whatever news.

Or not even separate like that. Do you want to discuss something pertaining to Nintendo's future, just go to the other thread. IF you start a discussion here that you see is starting to go that way, move it to the other thread. Etc.

I don't know, it's cumbersome, but it's REALLY REALLY REALLY beginning to be tir... sorry, not beginning. IT IS TIRESOME to just go "Oh, the Wii U thread bumped. Bet a horse Discoid posted something that makes sense and is unpleasant to hear about how Nintendo's doomed, and Jovahexeon is defending Nintendo, and Wreck-it Ralph is arguing against Discoid"... and then you go "but maybe they're just talking about a game" so you enter the thread and no, it's exactly what you thought first.

Leave me out of your generalizations. I don't always defend Nintendo.

Not generalizing out of spite or anything, just pointing out it's almost become a pattern by now. That's got to be no good, right?

To be fair, most of the times, the discussion is at least on topic.

Granted while the notion of undermining any redeeming qualities is a bit too common.

This is a very Nintendo-focused board, and as a result of that we typically tend to get a dedicated thread for every major Nintendo game the moment it gets announced. If I wanted to talk about Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, or Smash Bros there are separate threads for that.

The console's sales pertain to the topic of the console itself, and seeing as how this thread is called "the Wii U", I don't think it can get much more relevant than that. With the existence of game-specific threads and a separate sales thread, there would be literally nothing to talk about here beyond "I wonder when the next system update is" and "lol I dunno maybe they'll announce it at the next Direct".

I don't see how that'll help anything.

They really need to do more than shitty directs. If there's new info on something, make it public right away, not wait a month for a shitty stream a select few actually watch.

And why are we lashing out at Dissy all of a sudden? I like talking about the industry, and right now the Wii U is the black sheep of the current generation. Sure, we could talk about how Manditory Install Box 4 is dominating the competition, but who gives a shit? Nintendo's situation is a much more broader discussion subject.

• Thumbs Up 4

When it comes to my stance on Nintendo, I'm a bit pissed off with them. They've been given so many chances to overthrow the competition but they just aren't using them to their advantage. They haven't done anything to improve relations with third parties either, which us rather annoying. It just seems like they are so full of pride to the point where they just get kicked around rather than getting their hands dirty and putting up a fight. The sane happened with Microsoft and the Xbox One, but they actually got on to their knees and started scrubbing away at the mess they made, doing a complete 180, and it worked. The Xbox One may not be doing as well as the PS4, but it's certainly doing well.

I honestly don't understand what Iwata means by a "blue ocean", or how it will benefit Nintendo as a company.

When it comes to my stance on Nintendo, I'm a bit pissed off with them. They've been given so many chances to overthrow the competition but they just aren't using them to their advantage. They haven't done anything to improve relations with third parties either, which us rather annoying. It just seems like they are so full of pride to the point where they'd rather stand there and take kicks to the groin rather than getting their hands dirty and putting up a fight. I honestly don't understand what Iwata means by a "blue ocean", or how it will benefit Nintendo as a company.

The Wii was Blue Ocean. Basically, it means offering something before people know they want it. In 2005, nobody was saying they wanted motion controls from a console. Nintendo took a risk that paid off tremendously.

The problem with using Blue Ocean as your main strategy is that it can also result in abysmal failure. Wii U. It's a stupid stance to take when a traditional approach is both much safer and high in demand. They're now chained to a product that can't sell itself or the games developed for it. It doesn't help that Nintendo doesn't even remotely understand the West.

The blue ocean strategy worked for the Wii because there was simply nothing like it out there, and it could provide 'casual' experiences that you couldn't get anywhere else.

And then the iPhone came along and became the new hub for casual gaming. Ironically, each newest iPhone is obscenely expensive, though Android phones are much cheaper. Nintendo's mistake was thinking that casual gamers would move on to the Wii U, when they've already gotten phones/tablets for their casual fix. Joke's on them, the smartphone game market is practically a wasteland of crap with gems few and far inbetween.

What does the West want anyways?

Graphics, DLC, sports, mature games, call of duty

Actualy, I do wish that Nintendo would revive nintendo sports, it would be awesome to have a new Cruis'n entry that is competent

The blue ocean strategy worked for the Wii because there was simply nothing like it out there, and it could provide 'casual' experiences that you couldn't get anywhere else.

And then the iPhone came along and became the new hub for casual gaming. Ironically, each newest iPhone is obscenely expensive, though Android phones are much cheaper. Nintendo's mistake was thinking that casual gamers would move on to the Wii U, when they've already gotten phones/tablets for their casual fix. Joke's on them, the smartphone game market is practically a wasteland of crap with gems few and far inbetween.

I'm aware. Continuing their current approach hardly even counts as Blue Ocean anymore anyway, as they'll be competing with an established corporation (Apple) over an audience they already had (the Wii/DS owners they lost to Apple). Unless they aim to get an entirely different, unprecedented audience next generation, their strategy simply comes down to whether they want to compete with Sony and Microsoft or Apple and Samsung.

Considering their history and their strengths, it should be obvious.

So, from Rosa, apperently NOJ is bracing for the launch of the PS4

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/02/nintendo-eshop-japanese-sale/

wiiu-eshop-sale-ps4.png

With the PlayStation 4 poised to launch in Sony’s home country in just a few days, Nintendo is understandably beefing up its own offering in an attempt to persuade Japanese gamers hungry for something new that the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS have the best offerings. The Japanese launch of the PlayStation 4 is on February 22 and on that day, Nintendo will be offering significant discounts for some of its largest titles in the region.

From February 22 to February 23, Japanese shoppers will be able to save 20 to 30 percent on all Donkey Kong titles, including the newly released Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. We learned yesterday that the game only sold about 36,000 copies during its first week on sale in the region, so it’s not surprising to see Nintendo drop the price so fast in the face of new competition.

The following week Nintendo will be peddling discounts on The Legend of Zelda series, including the newly remade Wind Waker HD. Following that, sales on Mario games including Wii U virtual console releases will be available.

It’s an understandable move by Nintendo, as the Wii U will finally have a new competitor console to compete with, instead of nearly 7 year old hardware. The Xbox One has not launched in Japan yet, but sales in Japan are usually so insignificant that we’ll be surprised if a similar effort is drummed up for the Japanese launch of the Xbox One.

It will be interesting to see how Japanese gamers react to the launch of the PlayStation 4, given the bevy of titles that will be available to them.

So, from Rosa, apperently NOJ is bracing for the launch of the PS4

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/02/nintendo-eshop-japanese-sale/

That sale is a pathetic attempt at competing with Sony's Ps4 if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Nintendo and actually own a Wii U myself but that's just....pathetic. Sell the console for cheaper, offer a free game with it, have some sort of ridiculous hard to say no too deal. But up to 30% savings on WW, DK and Mario....not good enough.

• Thumbs Up 4

Shame on them for advertising Sticker Star. Assholes.

So is this some sort of admission of giving up in the west, or is it just more loljapanmasterrace shit?

Shame on them for advertising Sticker Star. Assholes.

So is this some sort of admission of giving up in the west, or is it just more loljapanmasterrace shit?

Seems like more of a "well fuck we have to do something", since PS4 comes out in Japan in less than 24 hours over there.

It's better than nothing, really.

Not that it's much.

Yeah its better than nothing but like I said the sale is for online eshop downloads which would only seem attractive to current owners instead of new custies

I guess.

Is final fantasy still popular in Japan? I have a feeling PS4 isn't going to havve a great start either. A lot of people are probably just going to keep their PS3.

Seems like more of a "well fuck we have to do something", since PS4 comes out in Japan in less than 24 hours over there.

Sell a WIi U bundle that comes with a 3DS XL or something. Release a BETA for Smash Brothers. Something other than a 30% discount

I guess.

Is final fantasy still popular in Japan? I have a feeling PS4 isn't going to havve a great start either. A lot of people are probably just going to keep their PS3.

Lightning Returns was pretty crap worldwide, but Final Fantasy is still big, yeah.

Any estimate on Japan will basically just be a lucky guess at this point. Some think the console market is completely dead and beyond hope, others think it's just a lack of compelling new products that slowed it down so badly. PS4 is launching with Yakuza, I think, and Metal Gear is coming next month. Could go either way really. We'll find out in a few days.