Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

The 3DS can't actually emulate GBA games. I'm not entirely sure how it is that they got the ambassador GBA games to work, it has something to do with tricking it into DS mode and tricking THAT to think that there is a GBA game inserted.

The 3DS can't actually emulate GBA games. I'm not entirely sure how it is that they got the ambassador GBA games to work, it has something to do with tricking it into DS mode and tricking THAT to think that there is a GBA game inserted.

I thought the DS was built off of the same architecture? Or did it just have the same chips in it for the sole purpose of BC?

How can it not emulate the GBA? I always thought that emulating GBA games was one of the easier things to do. 

...huh.

I thought the DS was built off of the same architecture? Or did it just have the same chips in it for the sole purpose of BC?

DS and 3DS use arm processors, so that's likely how BC comes into play. I'm not totally in the know of the details.

DS and 3DS use arm processors, so that's likely how BC comes into play. I'm not totally in the know of the details.

But what about the GBA? I assumed the DS was able to natively support it because it was the same architecture. Sort of like how any system that can emulate the Wii can also emulate the GameCube by default because they're exactly the same thing (which is why it's pretty bullshit that the Wii U doesn't have GC games available for purchase in any form). I'm not as knowledgeable of the way the DS did things.

I'm sure it can, it just doesn't, since it was just Ambassador titles. The NES emulation was missing a bunch of features until they added it the the e-shop. This was probably just the easiest and cheapest way.

But what about the GBA? I assumed the DS was able to natively support it because it was the same architecture. Sort of like how any system that can emulate the Wii can also emulate the GameCube by default because they're exactly the same thing (which is why it's pretty bullshit that the Wii U doesn't have GC games available for purchase in any form). I'm not as knowledgeable of the way the DS did things.

That's how the ambassador programs worked. It didn't emulate them, so it wasn't actually the Virtual Console. It can't emulate them, only play them natively (due to it having the architecture to do so). They can put GBA games on 3DS, but they won't have any Virtual Console features. I doubt that many people will care terribly about it, but it kind of sucks.

That's how the ambassador programs worked. It didn't emulate them, so it wasn't actually the Virtual Console. It can't emulate them, only play them natively (due to it having the architecture to do so). They can put GBA games on 3DS, but they won't have any Virtual Console features. I doubt that many people will care terribly about it, but it kind of sucks.

Oh. That's what I meant. It's still technically emulation, just a different kind. Hardware emulation rather than software emulation. Either way it really should be available on the eShop. :/

Oh. That's what I meant. It's still technically emulation, just a different kind. Hardware emulation rather than software emulation. Either way it really should be available on the eShop. :/

Maybe Nintendo can just port GBA games but I guess that requires effort on their part. It's easier for them to keep charging four bucks for the same NES games that everyone already owns.

• Thumbs Up 1

What do you think this is? But seriously, I do wish companies didn't just dump the same old games on us over and over (Nintendo included), there are OTHER old games to consider rereleasing; rather than Final Fantasy VII/Resident Evil 4/Sonic 1/Super Mario Bros. for the billionth time.

It's great we're seeing GBA and DS Virtual Console, but 

NOT on the 3DS?

I can't even think of an equatable analogy because this is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

*Whew* Okay, I guess now I'm ready.

To be fair, Jova, your argument seems to revolve around the claim that the Wii U is in it's position because third party publishers didn't put enough effort into game development on the system.

This is my interpretation of your argument, so please correct me if I'm misreading something -

Nintendo is at fault for making the Wii U a generally attractive platform for both consumers and publishers. However, the system very well could have been a great success had publishers put more effort in development for the system, and released a higher number of ports. As such, third parties are just as much at fault.

Is this correct?

Well, to be frank, it's a severe mix of things.

For Nintendo's faults, I honestly can;t blame them for what the third parties choose to do with their third party games. 

And what's made the situation despicable to me is the asinine cycle of third party devs handicapping Wii U versions, giving the Wii U the short end of the stick constantly, numerous actions that effectively treat the Wii U players as second class. So when Wii U consumers don't accept the half-assed products, the third party devs then have the gall the blame the Wii U audience when they're not making up power excuses that later end up getting debunked by other companies. 

I hate to make the comparison, but it honestly feels like if SEGA would have blamed Sonic Gensis' failure on the Gameboy Advance's audience not being interested in it. Those Wii U ports are more often than not, sad, gimped, miserable, and often a subject that makes them a target of jest by console warriors. Is it really a shock that Wii U owners aren't settling for this? I want to see more third party devs actually give their Wii U titles a respectable sense of effort before they go ranting that the Wii U audience doesn't want their games.

Hell, the very least they could do is come out and say "We were worried by the Wii U's public standing and thus, we felt it better not to dedicate too much of our assets 'lest the factors take a turn for the better." If they had actually come out and said something like that, not only would I be more gracious towards them, not only would they get the message across to Nintendo and consumers, they'd even possibly get some responsive gears like advertising and re-evaluation of the situation, etc in motion. And I'd actually respect them for that and being honest. But nope, they see fit to either gimp the Wii U titles and mess with their releases, then blame the mitigated sales on the consumers (and power to another extent), rinse and repeat. At this point, the damage might be done clean if they do finally come clean about wary of sales.

Ultimately, this feels like the third party games are constantly rigged, or put through a series of events that torpedo their sales.

For example, Ubisoft. You yourself stated that they were wary of the Wii U from the beginning and thus, they didn't put complete 100% effort into ZombiU. It stands to reason, that could be why it didn't sell so well, because the result wasn't that much fun, due to fractioned effort. Hell, there are infinite reasons that ZombiU might not have sold well; different trends, lack of interest in the concept, hype for other games; but still, there remains the factor of less effort.

Now let's look at Rayman Legends; a game meant to be exclusive for the Wii U, had players enthralled by the advertising, pre-orders looking good...and then the hype train gets crashed by the infamous delay "to be fair" and make it multi-platform. And then Ubisoft has the nerve to act surprised that it didn't sell well, and yet, the Wii U version still sold the most. But yet again, a controlling factor of this experiment tampered with the results.

And now we come to bug hypocrisy of this Watch Dogs insanity. Yes, I find hypocrisy in delaying or canceling a Wii U game while granting the platforms access, while being perfectly fine with leaving an potential Wii U audience out of the picture from the get-go. SO much for Rayman Legends indicating anything.

I honestly, cannot condone big guns like Ubisoft and EA, claiming their audiences aren't on the Wii U, because the whole process kept getting sabotaged by themselves with every gimp, every delay, every waste of effort, everything that torments consumers on the Wii U in comparison to owners of the other platforms that don't get put through the wringer and thinned out.

I just can't buy the third party mantra when they have themselves to blame whenever word of the Wii U version's crippled treatment spreads, making them less desirable. If said third parties ever gave it their all, that'd be one thing, but the fact does remain, the lack of effort is a part of the equation, and Wii U owners aren't going to settle for irrational 2nd class treatment.

To cap off, I actually ran into this tidbit of information: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/20375/article/kingdom-hearts-change-org-petition-shows-wii-u-owners-hunger-for-third-party-games/ . Yes, the Wii U's consumer hunger for third-party is actually starting to get documented. Say what you will about, how little it might be, or how it won't make a difference, but the demand is still present on the Wii U.

I'll back down when those third party devs finally acknowledge that consumers hate being treating like 2nd rate pawns in this business game and actually treat them fairly to begin with.

That is my stance.

It's great we're seeing GBA and DS Virtual Console, but 

NOT on the 3DS?

I can't even think of an equatable analogy because this is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds.

They're taking desperate measures to get the Wii U to shift units.

Only reason I can come up with for why they're releasing GBA and DS(!!!) games only for the Wii U VC.

I wonder how they're going to make people buy into the latter? Are they going to suddenly start systematically ending DS support for all non-Wii U systems?

Get bent, Ubisoft!

Outta the way, Activision!

START WRITING THAT WILL, EA!

'CAUSE THERE'S A NEW KID IN TOWN... AND HIS NAME IS AE GAMES!!!

ASS CREED AND COD AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON MAD MEN FOOTBALL MOTHERFUCKERS

CHECK IT OUT

Mad+Men+Football+Wii+U+GamePad+press+rel

Mad+Men+Football+Wii+U+press+release+ima

WOWZA

Wii U is saved praise ae games our lord and savior

A football game starring George Washington?

Can I say, with no hint or sarcasm whatsoever, that sounds like one of the greatest back-stories for a football game I've ever heard?!

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm not going to fully judge the game until we see gameplay but as of now that's pretty fucking disappointing. 

Well, it seems to be an interesting concept. But I'm still waiting to see those prototype screenshots they mentioned in the article.

Alright AE, you've got my attention; keep going without mucking it up.

Well, I'm not gonna lie: I am interested to see more about this. Playing football as the Founding Fathers of The United States of 'Merica? Sounds like an interesting concept for their very first Indie title.

I may not be instantly sold on the game, but at least the concept caught my attention just enough to keep an eye on its progress. After reading their announcement post, the guy behind the game sounds pretty legit on its development process.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get bent, Ubisoft!

Outta the way, Activision!

START WRITING THAT WILL, EA!

'CAUSE THERE'S A NEW KID IN TOWN... AND HIS NAME IS AE GAMES!!!

ASS CREED AND COD AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON MAD MEN FOOTBALL MOTHERFUCKERS

CHECK IT OUT

Mad+Men+Football+Wii+U+GamePad+press+rel

Mad+Men+Football+Wii+U+press+release+ima

WOWZA

Wii U is saved praise ae games our lord and savior

A football game starring George Washington?

Can I say, with no hint or sarcasm whatsoever, that sounds like one of the greatest back-stories for a football game I've ever heard?!

Well, I'm not gonna lie: I am interested to see more about this. Playing football as the Founding Fathers of The United States of 'Merica? Sounds like an interesting concept for their very first Indie title.

I may not be instantly sold on the game, but at least the concept caught my attention just enough to keep an eye on its progress. After reading their announcement post, the guy behind the game sounds pretty legit on its development process.

Honestly, it seems rather clever to me for a couple reasons specialy if they pull off a solid football game because:

A) making a traditional football game would be out of the question, due to the fact EA has the rights to use the names of all current football characters, and competing against that would be suicide

cool.png People love over the top sports titles when done well, I mean look at the mutant football league

C) it gives it a bit of its own identity, and doesnt have a super long development time, which means they can get on the next title sooner

Seems like a fun over the top idea to me, just have to see how the implentation works out

Oh and its one man team, and this is much easier to develop by yourself than say and adventurer

And its not just americas founding father but a variety of historical figures, I wonder if Jules Verne, Tolkien, and Hitler are going to show up, or the Kaiser XD

You guys are putting a surprising amount of faith into a guy who's almost as good at graphic design as a potato.

Posted Image

Then again, if the game itself is even half as embarrassingly, hilariously fuck-awful as the logo, it might just be worth it. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I don't know how you guys will take it but my local retailer has stopped stocking Wii U consoles and games. 3DS and Wii Minis are still there mind you, as well as pretty much every next and current gen console, but no Wii U. I'm not sure what the reason is, but I assume it's low sales. This is bad. I was actually saving up for the damn thing because of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart but now it seems my only chances of actually nabbing one is by buying on off Amazon or eBay. 

I hope other retailers will decide to keep the Wii U in stock, especially now that it's getting really great games. Hopefully if the Wii U does well in other countries thanks to future titles, my local store might start stocking the system again. Only time will tell. On another note, I find interesting what AE Games is trying to do. Their wacky little game could nab some football fans out there. And it's nice to see new developers give the Wii U a chance. 

Edit: Apparently it may just be my local game store that stopped stocking Wii Us. A friend of mine from Dubai confirmed that he saw the system for sale last week so I guess what I said doesn't matter all that much. 

Edited by SwiftWinds

Like I said last week, my local Sainbury's hasn't restocked on the Wii U in over a month, so it looks like they're taking it off their shelves too. Bad thing is that it was one of the bigger stores in the area.

Then again, when you can't sell over 50k units of hardware in America of all places in a month, it's no wonder they see it as unattractive compared to consoles getting over 140k and 240k in a month. And the ratio is probably even bigger in Europe.