Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

But half of the fun of building legos is digging through a huge pile to find the piece you want :<

Only to discover that after 10 minutes of searching you don't have any more 2x3 white bricks left and have to demolish the whole thing and start from scratch. Fuck Lego, this is the Wii U topic. 

I really kind of agree with the "wish I hadn't bought a U at launch" comments. It's not started to bother me until now, when the whole system is really drying up and I'm finding myself returning to my 360 much more.

My Wii U has basically become my brother's personal internet browser. I've pretty much been catching up on all the PS3 and 3DS games I've missed. None of the 8th gen consoles are worth worrying about right now.

well I didnt have a wii, so that helps, and I admittedly also balance it out with my other systems, which reminds me I still need a stinking Nun-chuck so I can play LoZSS DX

I use the browser a lot but that's because I have a huge backlog of games as is and I love watching my anime on my Gamepad or TV.

Guess ill be over here playing the Wii U by myself then, lawl.

I'll join you. =O I didn't buy my Wii U at launch, but I have been using it quite a bit to play SM3DW (plus other games!) and only once or twice did it collect dust for a bit because I was playing on the PS3 instead. So yeah, it's had some use!

My Wii U is currently collecting dust since I've finished Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. Next game for it will likely be Mario Kart 8, or Lost World if it gets a big enough price cut so it's finally worth it lawl

Reaaaaaally wished that I waited another few years until the price point was much lower and there were at least a few more titles out, sigh.

My Wii U is currently collecting dust since I've finished Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. Next game for it will likely be Mario Kart 8, or Lost World if it gets a big enough price cut so it's finally worth it lawl

Reaaaaaally wished that I waited another few years until the price point was much lower and there were at least a few more titles out, sigh.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Lost-World-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B00D41GCVS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393472390&sr=8-2&keywords=Sonic+Lost+World

It's only $30 now.

So I was thinking in the shower.

The Fire Emblem Radiant games are too fucking expensive. I'm not paying $60 for a used copy of Radiant Dawn, especially when they didn't even bother making it true 16:9.

I would love a Radiant Collection for this thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm, what if Nintendo released a Fire Emblem anthology with tons of extras for the Wii-U with a bunch of the games? I imagine that would sell

My Xbox 360 is collecting dust right now lol

My bro plays the ps3 and I'm always on the Wii u either playing brawl or 3D world, now playing tropical freeze. Sometimes mario kart Wii on my very old wii

How many Wii u games you guys have?

Not much but I only have 10

I would play on the Wii U more if it supported GC controllers for Project M. I know there's GC to WiiMote adapters so the FC remote can act as a "classic controller" but I'm poor XD.

Maybe I should wire my Wii U connection back up and take MH3U online with my 3DS. Was playing yesterday and forgot how much I like the game XD

The Wii U is the only console of mine that gets ANY use anymore. Other than that I'm always using my PC or 3DS. Very rarely do I touch the PS3 (probably won't until Persona 5, so a YEAR from now), and my 360 was so unused that I gave it away to a friend's son.

So I was thinking in the shower.

The Fire Emblem Radiant games are too fucking expensive. I'm not paying $60 for a used copy of Radiant Dawn, especially when they didn't even bother making it true 16:9.

I would love a Radiant Collection for this thing.

Considering how much more popular Fire Emblem is now, I think this a great idea! After playing through Awakening (which I really enjoyed!) I'm interested in playing other Fire Emblem games, particularly the Radiant series because hey, Ike is in it! Then I saw the price tag for both games...

Make it happen Nintendo!

• Thumbs Up 1

I can tell you that Path of Radience and Radiant Dawn are arguably the best games in the series.

It's basically a case where they're fully worth their current price, but not worth their current price. If you know what I mean.

You know, I'm gonna make a shot in the dark guess. And its just a guess. You know. Just an assumption. Like, a little guess.

But maybe I got an idea on why Wii U isn't grabbing much attention. Now hear me out!

Maybe they're focusing too much on Mario?

I mean it's just an assumption.. but I mean, look at the eShop's front page (and game library). Look at Nintendo's Youtube page. Look at Nintendo's everything. What do they show to represent them? Mario. Everywhere. The whole cast, the whole everything.

And I get it. He's the mascot. But when you got Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix (featuring SMB, Mario Bros and Donkey Kong in the main ads of it), Virtual Console stuff with Mario, Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games #18,000, and Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze (which yes is its own series but is closely tied to Mario) as well as upcoming Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi Yarn..

If you want to sell it like it's of some importance to gamers, you gotta let them know it's not some one-trick-pony "family fun Mario for everyone!" console. Show more of your veterans for crying out loud, they as a unit sell better than one. Geez. 

You got a point Zooky, perhaps the step in the right direction nintendo needs is to push a bunch of other IPS into the spotlight and bring exciting new things with them, Like Hyping X and Hyrule Warriors, doing new Star Fox, F-zero, Metroid, Custom Robo, and bring back a wide variety IPs to the centerfold like they did in the GC days, but in greater numbers with larger result

Least thats what I'm thinking

It's not so much the focus on Mario as much as it is the stigma that they focus too much on Mario. A stigma that will take some time to get rid of regardless of how much they focus on other IPs.

That said, give me another fucking Custom Robo dammit. I can only play Battle Revolution so many times.

There's nothing wrong with releasing Mario titles.

The problem is that the games right now aren't the "OMG MUST HAVE GAME CHANGING WTF" titles.

More titles like Nintendo Land needed. Let's get some DLC.

The problem isn't just Nintendo's solely focusing on Mario, its that they are following the SAME pattern they did with the 3ds; Mario 3d Land = Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 7 = Mario Kart 8, DKCR: 3D = DKC TF, Zelda Ocarina of Time 3d = Wind Waker HD, ect.

If they didn't follow this exact pattern for the Wii U, then it would have looked more appealing to people; why are they going to buy a 200-300 dollar console that plays updated versions of the stuff they just got for their 150-200 dollar handheld? Yes, the Wii U games are very different than their 3ds counter parts but my point still stands. With a more varied line up coming this year with Hyrule Warriors, X and Bayonetta 2, things might be better in that regard :).

I know this may be off topic, but do any of you guys know how E-bay works with purchasing systems? See, I saw a Wii U for 110, so I made an account for that and bidded 140 for the thing (a good bundle too; comes with a basic system, some Wiimotes and a lot of Wii/Wii U games). The thing is, I'm not to sure how getting the system works. The timer says its still going for 5 more days so I expect to get out bidded, but I'm not sure what to do if I win the bidding thing. If any of you can help, I would greatly appreciate it :).

If you win the bidding, then you just go through the payment confirmation process (you use paypal with ebay). Then the person ships it off to you. If they don't, or there are issues with what you received, ebay has protection that will reimburse you.

Nintendo's leveraging Mario so much because he's probably the single one of their icons who absolutely everyone recognises and sees as a seal of quality.  In Nintendo's mind, making sure people associate Mario with their consoles is an important factor in establishing a reputation for that console as reliable and fun.  And they're right.  The problem is that the market is approaching Mario saturation point, while at the same time, Nintendo isn't providing much in the way of other franchises to increase the diversity of the Wii U's console library.

It gets worse, because in aiming for this kind of consistency in their Mario output, Nintendo is actually undermining the brand's appeal by giving to the casual consumer - and indeed, the hardcore consumer who doesn't have quite such affection for Mario - the impression that exactly the same games are being churned out over and over again.  Why buy NSMB U when you've still got NSMB Wii in the closet?  Why buy 3D World when it looks the same as the last few 3D Marios?  You have to look quite hard to see the new content, and the average consumer will have just switched off at first impressions.  There is a distinct lack of risk-taking in Nintendo's recent software output.  Ironically, it's because they think the difference of the Wii U scares people off, so how do you combat that, by providing safe and familiar experiences to convince people that it's still good ol' Nintendo.  Problem is that most people have played good ol' Nintendo already and they aren't so wowed by a similar-looking experience.  People like difference mixed up in their familiarity.  (The problem is only compounded with Nintendo putting out remakes as stopgap titles - Ocarina 3DS, Wind Waker HD.  Sure, they're very good remakes, but they're also decade-old games.  Old classics are nothing without new classics to complement them.)

They really needed, and really need, to be able to show off a diverse software line-up that's immediately visually original.  Given the several-year turnaround on most Nintendo games, though, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Look at the big-name upcoming games - they're all iterative sequels.  Yarn Yoshi is a blatant attempt to coast on the success of Kirby's Epic Yarn.  Mario Kart 8 adds one gimmick and HD graphics.  Super Smash Bros. isn't even risking its own title.  (We're still getting stuff like this on the 3DS - just look at A Link Between Worlds and Yoshi's New Island.  Safe.  Familiar.  Boring.)  Then there are the arbitrary crossover games where Nintendo's leaning on other companies because they don't have the resources to develop many HD games themselves - Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors.  Not one original idea, just recent successes cut up and glued back together in different combinations.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you win the bidding, then you just go through the payment confirmation process (you use paypal with ebay). Then the person ships it off to you. If they don't, or there are issues with what you received, ebay has protection that will reimburse you.

Thank you for the advice man, really made feel a bit better. I'm going to contact the seller in a few days and tell him that I don't want the Wii U if I win (between never using E-bay before and finding out about a better deal at GameStop...I feel better just buying the system with money in my hand rather than hoping that the seller doesn't rob me of my money).

Ether way, I really appreciate your help on this Wreck it Ralph :).