Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

You really have it out for these guys huh tongue.png

It's the natural order of things - the sun must rise, the tides must ebb, and Discoid always reserves cynical judgement on anything to do with Nintendo!

:P

• Thumbs Up 8

It's the natural order of things - the sun must rise, the tides must ebb, and Discoid always reserves cynical judgement on anything to do with Nintendo!

:P

Yeah it's Circle Of Life for this thread and all that jazz.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like I said last week, my local Sainbury's hasn't restocked on the Wii U in over a month, so it looks like they're taking it off their shelves too. Bad thing is that it was one of the bigger stores in the area.

Then again, when you can't sell over 50k units of hardware in America of all places in a month, it's no wonder they see it as unattractive compared to consoles getting over 140k and 240k in a month. And the ratio is probably even bigger in Europe.

My local CostCo doesn't stock them either. I asked one of the electronics clerks how they sell out of curiosity - PS4's were flying off the shelves for a few weeks before slowing down (they had a really good $470 bundle w/ a game and extra controller, but I guess people just didn't want to spend the extra cash) and XB1 sold at a much slower but still acceptable case all throughout. They gave up on Wii U months ago though.

Ayee. So it's not just in the Middle East then, eh? Damn, no wonder everyone is wailing "The Wii U is a failure!" "Nintendo is dead!" I'd thought they'd sell best in the US but you know, that'd be kinda stupid since that's the land of Xbox. Do we know how well it's doing in Japan?

Do we know how well it's doing in Japan?

It's currently putting in about 7-8k per week, less than the US average per week.

Ayee. So it's not just in the Middle East then, eh? Damn, no wonder everyone is wailing "The Wii U is a failure!" "Nintendo is dead!" I'd thought they'd sell best in the US but you know, that'd be kinda stupid since that's the land of Xbox. Do we know how well it's doing in Japan?

America's not even that anymore, lol. Pretty much every country in the world is Sonyland right now. Wii U's selling like shit everywhere, especially Europe. Unfortunately I don't know specifics about the Japanese market, but even then it's still not doing any better than mediocre over there. 3DS is doing well there though.

Doing abysmally in Japan wouldn't be a surprise though. People have been fearing that their console market is dead for a while. It's pretty much up to the PS4 to single-handedly save it at this point.

Asian countries moved onto portables/handhelds far faster than other countries did. In fact, this is one of the reasons why Apple's iPhone wasn't able to take #1 in those countries. Smartphones were already a popular thing and Apple came late.

PS4 probably won't sell THAT bad but I don't think it will revive the console market at all. Shame really.

I did also mention more Pokemon games. Seriously, I doubt Nintendo's going to go a whole gen without having at least two or three Pokemon games on that gen's respective handheld.

Yes, and that's why I said the system will be fine this year. I feel like the reason you think I'm jumping the gun is because you're blowing it out of proportion in the first place; the 3DS is not a dead system, and I never implied it was. It is, however, in decline. And that's a fact. Name one system that sold well in, say, 2005, worse in 2006, but peaked in 2007 if you don't believe this is true. 2014 will not be better than 2012, or 2013. I'm willing to make a bet on it, if you want.

Starting 2015 without a successor even being prepared is a terrible idea. They'll be depending on a declining system to increase their profits.

Starting 2015 without a successor even being prepared is a terrible idea. They'll be depending on a declining system to increase their profits.

Not necessarily. Software helps them maintain profit after all.

I totally moved all of those posts about the 3DS to the 3DS thread for a reason.

I noticed that.

MK8 and SSB4 are going to be MAJOR system movers, there are groups of people who buy nintendo systems SOLEY for SSB and MK, ao there are going to be plently moving

I noticed that.

And yet you (specifically, as Discoid was posting as I was moving them) continued the discussion here anyway.

I reeeeeeaaaallly don't like the beeping noise the console makes when it crashes. It makes me jump and think it's about to fucking detonate or something. At least my 360 just freezes when it crashes.

And yet you (specifically, as Discoid was posting as I was moving them) continued the discussion here anyway.

Sorry, I had thought Tapatalk was glitching or something. I'll just put the Wii U information from that post here and leave the 3DS stuff out. Sorry about that. tongue.png

I found some new stuff to share on Wii U sales -

By this point, the Wii U's lifetime sales are 60% of what the GameCube had at this point in its life. Aquamarine, a GAF insider, compiled some charts comparing them - 

Ee7VluD.png

And for kicks, another chart comparing it to the Dreamcast (it's 7% lower) - 

aicMJYZ.png

It's 93% of Dreamcast now, but that'll go down very soon. The chart is adjusted for time, so that one month where the Wii U climbs up a ton was just for Christmas. Next month will probably down to about 80%, as that'll be a Christmas for Dreamcast.

Hopefully it does better this year (it probably will), even if it won't amount to much anyway.

Considering how long the GC was on the market, more than half of it's LTD is good. At least the Wii U isn't a COMPLETE failure in sales.

inb4someonesaysitsacompletefailure

My question about the GC chart though, is at what points did MKDD and SSB come out? cause considering neither of those have had entries on the wii-u yet, I imagine those will create a pretty BIG jump

Both were launch window titles IIRC

Well then, should be interesting how Smash and MK effect sales this year, and especialy this holiday

Hope nintendo has some big aces up their sleeve, also got my fingers crossed for Hyrule warriors this summer, though now unless something else gets announced I will proably end up getting MK8 cause thats next major multiplayer/interesting title coming up, and should be able to save up what I need from my pleasure budget to get it around release

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=222654&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Ubisoft developer tweets "good" after Neogaf thread posts results of only 1% of developers going for Wii U.

gdcplatformnext.jpg

Oddly enough, the chart says 5% so I'm not entirely sure what the actual results were. Still, stupid for Ubisoft developers to tweet something like that and then delete it minutes after.

I also have no idea why the PSVita has a higher rating than the 3DS.

From what I'm hearing, this is an indie developer convention sort of thing? The Vita gets a lot of indie games, maybe it's because the hardware is easier work with than the 3DS? Not too sure.

If you don't think there's no bias on Nintendo, here's your proof. A high-class dev from a high-class developer saying "good" to a low amount of games being made for a current-gen console.

• Thumbs Up 9

I also have no idea why the PSVita has a higher rating than the 3DS.

From what I'm hearing, this is an indie developer convention sort of thing? The Vita gets a lot of indie games, maybe it's because the hardware is easier work with than the 3DS? Not too sure.

Yeah, that chart polls mostly independent developers (literally hundreds of one man teams), hence the smartphone/PC options winning by a landslide.

Sony's current program for Vita (and PS4) publishing is pretty good in terms of tools and support and the demographic seems fairly receptive so it's no surprise a significant number of them are opting for the platform. I don't doubt they'd be on every system on the list if they could but being a lone guy means limitations.

If you don't think there's no bias on Nintendo, here's your proof. A high-class dev from a high-class developer saying "good" to a low amount of games being made for a current-gen console.

Ubi employs hundreds of people, and people can have opinions.

• Thumbs Up 2