Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

About 4.2 million in North America alone. We don't have up-to-date worldwide numbers, though. Probably around 8-9 million right now.

what about shipping?

... Welp. I don't know whether to be impressed with Sony on the PS4, or disappointed that Nintendo managed to mess up that royally with the Wii U. Either way, that's quite an eye opener.

It's both for me. Luckily I love both Sony and Nintendo.

Analog sticks may not have the same input precision as a mouse, but they in turn provide greater greater physical feedback than a touchpad would. Yes, I may get a greater degree of precision with Valve's controller, but in an action game where I'm using a broad range of motions to control my character, being able to actually physically push forward on a stick is vastly preferable to a touchpad.

I think I mentioned that the touchpads are much more subjective for a reason - some people will inevitably prefer the "feel" of an analog stick, but the touchpads have haptic feedback, so in theory, one could implement a haptic sensation that sorta emulates the sensation of 'pushing' an analog stick - the closer to the outside of the pad, the more feedback. But we'll see when the final product actually comes out.

I also don't understand the logic in your argument... you're hyping the Valve controller as the next big thing, but when I ask what's wrong with the current design, you bring up an "issue" that the Valve controller doesn't solve? It doesn't seem to me that it allows you to grow an extra thumb for camera control either, so I'm not sure what the prospective benefits are besides more precise directional input.

You're also saying that the two extra buttons are "fucking genius" for being easily reachable and providing extra inputs, but... the Valve controller still doesn't have (as far as I'm aware, so you can correct me if I'm wrong) as many buttons as the Dualshock 4 anyway. No L3/R3, plus the DS4's touchpad has two buttons built into it (which are plenty easily accessible, by the way).

I was wondering what the hell you meant by L3/R3 buttons, then I found that you meant the click sticks. Yeah, actually, the Steam controller has that too, and with much more versatility, depending on where you click the pads - you could have the middle and the outer area clickable, for example (such as a sprint function for the outer area and something else in the middle, and that's not taking into consideration functions just for having your thumb on the outer area), and with the haptic feedback, you could emulate an entire ring of face buttons, or even, say, a D-Pad. According to the impressions, the haptic feedback for that is actually decent at least. At the very least, it beats out a generic touch pad/screen, since it gives it some actual touch feedback.

And, taking that into account, the back buttons can be used for functions that are normally used with the face buttons but would benefit from having fingers on the buttons at all times. The original Steam controller design's ABXY buttons were meant to be 'function' buttons that could afford to be elsewhere. The newest revision doesn't really change things much, it merely replaces the touch screen with a d-pad. But, yeah, buttons on the back of the controller? That's hardly an insane idea, I'm surprised nobody else did it sooner.

So, yeah - that's why I'm saying the Steam controller basically has all the functionality of the dualshock/360 pads, and more. Sure, you don't get the same feedback of an analog stick, but you could theoretically get something fairly close, while enabling greater precision and expanding on the whole 'click-stick' thing, and adding two extra buttons in entirely sensible locations where you always keep fingers you aren't otherwise using. And we don't even know what they're gonna fill the big space in the middle where the touchscreen used to be, with, yet.

But, still, I seriously don't think anyone will complain if Nintendo were to put a couple of buttons on the back of its next controller, just that will make me a happy camper. Maybe a DS4-style touchpad as well, if it doesn't add much to the cost, I wouldn't mind, I'd just like to see sensible additions and tweaks to the standard controller that add functionality without taking anything away.

I still don't feel that any of that is vastly preferable to what Sony and Microsoft are offering, but whatever. I'll agree to disagree. Extra buttons on the back are fine, sure, but I don't see how it automatically renders everything else obselete or "boring". Traditional controller, traditional hardware, innovative software and features. That's what I want out of Nintendo, and gaming in general. I don't like hardware gimmicks.

... Welp. I don't know whether to be impressed with Sony on the PS4, or disappointed that Nintendo managed to mess up that royally with the Wii U. Either way, that's quite an eye opener.

I'd say both. PS4 is as far as I know the fastest selling Playstation yet. They did a great job this time around.

And the Wii U is a complete bomb.

Well, gimmicks are only gimmicks until they become the standard. The dualshock itself was a gimmick, once, it wasn't even the standard controller for the PS1! tongue.png *shot*

I guess I'm mainly coming from the position of someone who wants to see gaming evolve as a medium in all its aspects. I'm currently working on an indie project involving narrative mechanics that aim to render cutscenes mostly obsolete, and I'm excited about how the Steam controller could potentially do wonders for that (oh, and 16-player local multiplayer sounds amazing, if hilariously impractical for the most part), so, yeah. The Wii's controller stuff was neat, but it had its drawbacks, and sacrificed too much else in terms of normal buttons, and no second stick (the Razer Hydra/Sixsense STEM system rectifies this, but both are too niche, which is a damn shame). The Wii U's gamepad is basically a 360 pad with a touch screen in the middle, which is neat, but it jacks up the price. Nintendo would be better off with inexpensive additions that add functionality while not removing anything else - Nintendo can take big risks once they're back in the game.

If nothing else, virtually anything would be better than the Kinect. For the most part, that thing's bloody useless. But that's beside the point.

Has this been posted yet?

April 3

Advance Wars 1+2
F-Zero
Golden Sun
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Wario Ware, Inc. Mega Microgame$

April 30

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Tennis Advance
Metroid Fusion
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Wario Land Advance

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/13/metroid-fusion-gba-games-will-wii-u-april-japan/#7ap05kpLwbCh3y4O.99

Nintendo gonna Nintendo. The fuck ups.

Oh, GBA games are finally coming to the Virtual Co-

> not 3DS

1348913243096.gif

Well how else are they going to sell the WiiU's? Did I mention those games are only slated for Japan now? No simultaneous releases in other regions. US and EU only get the three games mentioned in the direct.

Well how else are they going to sell the WiiU's? Did I mention those games are only slated for Japan now? No simultaneous releases in other regions. US and EU only get the three games mentioned in the direct.

Who in their right mind would buy a Wii U to emulate GBA games???

I mean for fuck's sake, at least the concept inherently benefits from portability. I don't carry my PC around in my pocket, but why the fuck would I buy a home console to do something my PC can already do better?

Yeah, forgot though the "& more" sounds really vague, there could be more games coming along with the three. Or they could mean more to come at an unannounced date.

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland 

Golden Sun 

COOOOL-

These GBA Games Will Be On Wii U This April In Japan

.......-siiiiigh-

I can't wait til we get these games at the end of the year guyyys hehehehe goddamn it

Im pretty sure it's "end of April" for everyone, not just Japan.

Also, if it takes THIS FUCKING LONG just to port some GBA games to the Wii U, we can just ever fucking forget having any kind of N64 and up games in the next 4 years

Im pretty sure it's "end of April" for everyone, not just Japan.

Also, if it takes THIS FUCKING LONG just to port some GBA games to the Wii U, we can just ever fucking forget having any kind of N64 and up games in the next 4 years

The irony of Nintendo being the one to take the least advantage of their legacy of games is what fucking slays me, I swear.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeahhhh I don't see the logic in releasing GBA games on Wii U. I mean, I'm still gonna buy Superstar Saga and Golden Sun (once it's released overseas) but why not the 3DS? It doesn't seem right to own a 3DS with Dream Team and then have the very first M&L game on a console! It doesn't make sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

There better be some major upgrades to justify stranding GBA games on the Wii U like that.

There better be some major upgrades to justify stranding GBA games on the Wii U like that.

I doubt it. They'd be hyping it more if there were.

Have fun playing 240p games on your big 1080p screen! smile.png

oh btw just fyi they're gonna look like shit here's what you should expect

52fe5e49da1c5.jpg

Have fun playing 240p games on your big 1080p screen! smile.png

52fe5e49da1c5.jpg

Not if you just play it on the Gamepad, which is what I intend to do anyway.

Have fun playing 240p games on your big 1080p screen! :)

52fe5e49da1c5.jpg

Sucks that I don't even like getting downloaded games on anything other than Steam unless they're very old.

To hell with this noise. I'm probably going to get a PS4 to accompany the Wii U after all.

Yeah the GBA thing makes no sense whatsoever. Like they already have GBA games on 3DS via Ambadassor so I really don't see any reason what so ever to not have GBA Virutal Console on there.

I love you Nintendo but sometimes you make no sense in your ideas...

I really hope they listen to the fact that everyone thinks this is a stupid idea.  But then again, everyone thought it was a stupid idea when they announced it ages and ages ago, too.

I guess they couldn't pull a Sony and have the DS games be cross-playable between the 3DS and Wii U. I wouldn't mind the DS games being on the Wii U solely if they had add-ons such as being playable online or across the 3DS/DS and Wii U.

Yeah the GBA thing makes no sense whatsoever. Like they already have GBA games on 3DS via Ambadassor so I really don't see any reason what so ever to not have GBA Virutal Console on there.

I love you Nintendo but sometimes you make no sense in your ideas...

The GBA Ambassador games on the 3DS aren't emulated, so that's probably why they aren't there (yet).