Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Were GC games even remotely confirmed for VC beyond that one vague quote I recall from a single PR rep?

Nope.

I was in the shower when suddenly I had an epiphany. This was pretty much me:

3uro4o.jpg

Please don't kill me

Though it actually presents a bit of a problem. In DS/3DS game, it's really easy to look at both screens at once. Say you're playing Mario Kart with the game on the top screen, and the map on the bottom screen. You can look at the map without taking your eyes off the screen. Good stuff.

But with the Wii U, one screen in in front of you and the other is down in your lap. You have to completely take your focus off of one for the other. I noticed this in ASRT, where the map on the GamePad was essentially useless.

... You know. Wouldn't it be an interesting idea if Nintendo created a double-screen version of the Wii U gamepad? That would solve the divided screen problem and create a gamepad that would be compatible with any game that requires both screens. Yes, granted, it would basically be a big-ass DS, but using the 3DS for remote play isn't practical due to the second screen not being widescreen.

3 Screens! 3 damn screens! With the TV that makes 3!

It'd be nice if they added real remote play on the 3ds actually. That would both be a great feature and make me regret buying bothj the Wii U and 3DS Mh3

3 Screens! 3 damn screens! With the TV that makes 3!

It'd be nice if they added real remote play on the 3ds actually. That would both be a great feature and make me regret buying bothj the Wii U and 3DS Mh3

As I said, the main problem with using the 3DS for remote play is that the bottom screen is 4:3, not widescreen. This could be fixed in a future revision, though.

Thinking about it now, if I recall, the main issue limiting the Wii U's ability to have more than two gamepads is mainly to do with rendering. Consider if one could theoretically remove that limit (probably through Unlimited Detail if/when that eventually starts being used by developers, as it makes rendering more or less trivial), I wonder how many gamepads the Wii U could theoretically connect to while still keeping things playable.

Wouldn't a second screen just murder the fuck out of the gamepad's battery? You know, the one that already can't go a full day without recharging? I mean, I guess I could see some third party effort happening with a clipon screen with a HDMI input, but power's a pretty serious concern.

As I said, the main problem with using the 3DS for remote play is that the bottom screen is 4:3, not widescreen. This could be fixed in a future revision, though.

Thinking about it now, if I recall, the main issue limiting the Wii U's ability to have more than two gamepads is mainly to do with rendering. Consider if one could theoretically remove that limit (probably through Unlimited Detail if/when that eventually starts being used by developers, as it makes rendering more or less trivial), I wonder how many gamepads the Wii U could theoretically connect to while still keeping things playable.

Unlimited detail is a bullshit gimmick that probably won't get adopted any time soon- if it was any good people would already be stealing ideas from it. All they'd need to do, I guess is be smarter with their resiources.

Wouldn't a second screen just murder the fuck out of the gamepad's battery? You know, the one that already can't go a full day without recharging? I mean, I guess I could see some third party effort happening with a clipon screen with a HDMI input, but power's a pretty serious concern.

Hell yeah it would. especially if it was another hi res screen. 

I'm just seeing the clipon screen thing in my minds eye as the most ridiculous looking thing ever.

Couldn't the devs just recode the second screen's look for remoteplay? and aren't we already kind of using the Gamepad for remote play as is?

I have recently bought a Wii U, and it's a really awesome system, the graphics are great. But, I do warn people who have bought one to keep your Game Pad in a safe location. Nintendo isn't to the point of actually selling them separately yet, unfortunately. Thing is, when I got mine I treated it like Gold, one sad day my Cats spilled Coffee all over the controller, and the AC adapter. I was pretty pissed, and I'm sure you all can see why, after spending an entire paycheck on the system, everything was ruined in an instant. I called GameStop numerous times trying to figure out what to do, and I was forces to get it Refurbished from Nintendo for a price of ($)100 clams. So, I'm currently in the process of waiting for it to return now. When I called Nintendo, as was in the middle of getting the order setup, I asked why the hell they don't sell the Game Pads separately, they kindly responded saying that there weren't any games that supported more than one Game Pad at a time, saddened, but understanding. Still, though I hope the remaining time until my Game Pad comes back is very short, it's been about a week now, and I heard it can take up to 2 weeks. But still, I got the Wii U mainly for Sonic: Lost World, I don't care much for the Olympic Games, but whatever the 3rd announced title is, I'm sure it'll be good too. Also, the new Super Smash Bros, possibly the new Zelda, and I've also been recently informed that the Wii U is backwards compatible with regular Wii games? Sure hope so. But yeah, I'd recommend it to a friend, although the price is high, it's still a pretty kick-ass system. The only game I have for it right now is Black Ops 2, and since Nintendo is putting on their big boy pants and getting some M rated games for the system, I feel that Nintendo may have a good run this gaming generation. While playing Black Ops 2, I'd forget I was playing a Nintendo system (LOL).

I have recently bought a Wii U, and it's a really awesome system, the graphics are great. But, I do warn people who have bought one to keep your Game Pad in a safe location. Nintendo isn't to the point of actually selling them separately yet, unfortunately. Thing is, when I got mine I treated it like Gold, one sad day my Cats spilled Coffee all over the controller, and the AC adapter. I was pretty pissed, and I'm sure you all can see why, after spending an entire paycheck on the system, everything was ruined in an instant. I called GameStop numerous times trying to figure out what to do, and I was forces to get it Refurbished from Nintendo for a price of ($)100 clams. So, I'm currently in the process of waiting for it to return now. When I called Nintendo, as was in the middle of getting the order setup, I asked why the hell they don't sell the Game Pads separately, they kindly responded saying that there weren't any games that supported more than one Game Pad at a time, saddened, but understanding. Still, though I hope the remaining time until my Game Pad comes back is very short, it's been about a week now, and I heard it can take up to 2 weeks. But still, I got the Wii U mainly for Sonic: Lost World, I don't care much for the Olympic Games, but whatever the 3rd announced title is, I'm sure it'll be good too. Also, the new Super Smash Bros, possibly the new Zelda, and I've also been recently informed that the Wii U is backwards compatible with regular Wii games? Sure hope so. But yeah, I'd recommend it to a friend, although the price is high, it's still a pretty kick-ass system. The only game I have for it right now is Black Ops 2, and since Nintendo is putting on their big boy pants and getting some M rated games for the system, I feel that Nintendo may have a good run this gaming generation. While playing Black Ops 2, I'd forget I was playing a Nintendo system (LOL).

Maybe you should stop letting your cat drink coffee.

cat-with-coffee-cup.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Unlimited detail is a bullshit gimmick that probably won't get adopted any time soon- if it was any good people would already be stealing ideas from it.

The thing is, Unlimited Detail's concept completely defies conventional wisdom concerning 3D computer graphics, so a lot of people in the industry dismiss it out of hand because it seems impossible. However, its fundamental concepts (one atom for every pixel on the screen via an efficient 'search engine') is actually quite plausible when you actually wrap your head around it, and makes me wonder why nobody else has tried such a thing.

The main problems are making the whole thing work properly, making it all work well with animation, lighting and physics and whatnot perfectly, and making it work on modern graphics cards (which use drivers coded entirely around polygon rendering). There's a reason why Euclideon has been taking along time with it (aside from also making a UD viewer for the geospacial industry).

You can't just invent an entirely new kind of effective real-time rendering within a short period of time. I've been keeping track of updates from Euclideon (including a Geoverse video that I posted and seemingly nobody paid attention to, btw, seriously, it involves miles of entire real-world environments laser-scanned in and rendered in real-time, freaking amazing), we'll see how viable it is as a tech when Euclideon finally start letting developers use it. For all we know, they might show up at E3 (once again, a big 'if', but still) and blow us out of the water with something amazing.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Unlimited detail is a bullshit gimmick that probably won't get adopted any time soon- if it was any good people would already be stealing ideas from it. All they'd need to do, I guess is be smarter with their resiources.

This.

Also, they're not even making Unlimited Detail for games anymore. They scrapped it and are working in other industries combined with "CLOUD POWER!!!" yay

Well on a games note, I am excited about Lego Marvel Superheroes, which is coming to Wii-U(right?), and I got thinking, doesnt TT and the lego series have a good relationship? I mean they got a game that is exclusive to their console only(and an earlier portable title or two), specialized gameplay, and other fun stuff, and hopefully that will continue

On another note my getting stuff for my Wii-U might slow down cause I may have found a dreamcast for a decent price!

This.

Also, they're not even making Unlimited Detail for games anymore. They scrapped it and are working in other industries combined with "CLOUD POWER!!!" yay

Fuck cloud gaming. It just gives more control to the corporations by having them own the hardware used to run the games.

I'm deadly curious as to why he was banned.

Maybe because they thought the messages he mad were spam and all around annoying.

He was trying to sell a game through MiiVerse.

Is that not allowed?

Even the Wii U has used game DRM, shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even the Wii U has used game DRM, shit.

Using Miiverse as a marketplace might violate the T&Cs.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's against many forum policies across the web too, so I'm not surprised.

Not to mention it's perfectly fair to have that rule in place.

I get the feeling they are almost ready to pull out the BIG guns for the wii-U, especialy if they tell us about some previously unannounced titles