Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I don't know. I'm tired. It's 2am. (I was more at the point if there were sacrifices to FFXV, then maybe we could see it running on Wii U? I wasn't trying to say it could run perfectly/exactly the same. That'd be silly lol.)

I just wish there was more Wii U support. Sigh. Oh well.

Some positive news b4 I go to bed.

That looks fantastic.

Edited by Autosaver

I don't know. I'm tired. It's 2am. (I was more at the point if there were sacrifices to FFXV, then maybe we could see it running on Wii U? I wasn't trying to say it could run perfectly/exactly the same. That'd be silly lol.)

I just wish there was more Wii U support. Sigh. Oh well.

Fair enough.

The only real problem is that down-porting is significantly more costly and time-consuming than the opposite practice. There's no real point in doing it on the Wii U yet since the install-base just isn't there. 

Sad, but that's what happens when you're the odd one out.

I'm not gonna lie, Mario Kart 8 in-game looks absolutely amazing. The trailer made the lighting look too bright for some reason, but the lighting in that video is very Unleashed-esque. 

People who would buy Final Fantasy will get a PlayStation before thinking of getting a Nintendo home console anyway. And that will never change unless Sony does something absolutely stupid to turn everyone off their console, or the FF main series goes exclusive on another.

kM70rPq.png

Ubisoft has been the strongest third party supporter of the Wii U, so this is, yeah, this is bad news. 

While I do like Nintendo Directs, they do show off a rather insular approach from the company, even a rather stand-offish one, and they don't do anything to reassure third parties. It definitely reinforces the long-standing perception that the company is on its own, even that it might prefer to be on its own.

Yes, the E3 Direct spared us a lot of tiresome marketing spiel aimed at investors; the pie charts and the corporate overkill that have long been standard E3 fare, but... I dunno, maybe Nintendo might have needed some of that this year (despite all the yawns it would've generated in the peanut galleries), just to try and get third parties on-board.

As a Wii U owner, it's incredibly frustrating, because right now the console actually has a lot to offer third party ports. Obviously this is going to change when the new consoles launch, more so over the next couple of years, but off-screen gamepad support and other handy gamepad features means that I am looking at buying the likes of AC4 and Watch Dogs on the Wii U over their Sony and MS counterparts, because they just cannot offer those features out of the box.
  • Thumbs Up 2

X's graphics are much too brown.

Not as brown as brown has been in the past, but going by both Nintendo and Monolith's histories as never failing to make games look nice AND really colourful (like well, Xenoblade), the brownness of X is really.. blech, to me.

I hope it's just a one-off. A game doesn't need to be shades of brown to look good, surely.

While I do like Nintendo Directs, they do show off a rather insular approach from the company, even a rather stand-offish one, and they don't do anything to reassure third parties. It definitely reinforces the long-standing perception that the company is on its own, even that it might prefer to be on its own.

Directs literally have nothing to do with third party support though, and neither does press conferences. If anything they've proven to be even more effective for publishers because they offer developer spotlight and insight, and in some cases they've been given more opportunity to let them have their own exclusive exposure which includes the Sega Direct and Capcom Direct. Let's also not forget the Iwata Asks. Nintendo are anything but insular at this point in time, and change in their way of presentation is not a bad thing. It's made the workings of their company even more transparent.

The only thing that matters here is Nintendo doing a bad job at building their launch base. It's what third parties are admitting, it's even what Reggie has admitted. It's their responsibility to let third parties come to them, not the opposite, and there's nothing on the Wii U in terms of first party or appealing exclusive software that's going to make people jump onto it.

Also fun fact: from a more hardcore perspective, GAF broke it's most users online list the day of the E3 Direct. Roughly 25,000 people were all online at the same time. People log on to see this stuff at all times, and the showcase was a general success. The problem is content.

Not as brown as brown has been in the past, but going by both Nintendo and Monolith's histories as never failing to make games look nice AND really colourful (like well, Xenoblade), the brownness of X is really.. blech, to me.

I hope it's just a one-off. A game doesn't need to be shades of brown to look good, surely.

You are looking at one screenshot. I did see a big city though so expect more grey instead.

Apparently, Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed for the Wii U behind closed doors. If this strikes you as being unusual behavior, it isn't; it's how they've announced every CoD coming to Nintendo platforms for the last few years.

You are looking at one screenshot. I did see a big city though so expect more grey instead.

Did I look at the same trailer as the both of you? There were tons of areas that were really colorful and pleasing to the guy, even during the "brown" areas they still looked nice and it's appropriate because it's a desert area (seriously brown in and of itself isn't a bad thing, it comes down to use).

wii-u-jan-23-27.jpg

Edited by Soniman

As a consumer I would blame Nintendo for not getting titles out fast enough towards the beginning only as much as I would for 3rd parties being coy and not treating the system seriously. I don't know why exactly, but it seems that Nintendo gamers can be more choosy and are less swayed by piece-meal efforts. Perhaps it's because Nintendo's own games tend to be of a consistent quality and 3rd parties cannot compete. Perhaps there's even an element of gamers not trusting 3rd parties as much, and who could blame the consumers after all the "test" games and whatnot.

At this point, being realistic, I think that Nintendo should just work on getting their own titles out at a steady pace, getting more indie developers on board and maybe even as many 3rd parties as they can too. Given that the Wii U is the only 8th gen console even out yet, and we still don't know what will happen with the other two in practice, it's too early to say anything for sure. If consumers gravitate towards the Wii U to a decent degree because of Nintendo's offerings, can 3rd parties continue to deny them support?

Also, I would like to add, I have much less sympathy for Ubisoft at this point after they delayed Rayman Legends. Perhaps if they had released it on time as originally promised, they'd see more of the promising sales on the Wii U they desired.

Yeah, don't judge the entire game by the desert area.

quickone6wjzi.gif

ooo colors

Just watch this guys, it explains it far better than I ever could;

X is much more colourful than many other ~realistic~ games, but it's still falling victim to that issue in the first place by bathing areas in the glow of a single dominant colour rather than offering the contrast of games like Xenoblade, which didn't even look unrealistic! There is no reason at all we should expect Xenoblade-style colouring in HD, and as that video points out the time of day ingame also has nothing to do with it.

That video was made when the first trailer came out. Not when the new one at E3 was shown which shows a lot more color.

Not as colorful as Xenoblade, but there are definitely areas where it's not all brown. Lots of reds, oranges, blues. When the time goes dark, it becomes even more colorful with auras.

I think the color will vary from area of area. Sure it is not AS colorful as Xenoblade, I'm sure there will be color.

Edited by Autosaver

That lack of color is the same reason I could not get into FFXI, and I know a lot of people love it, but place it next to WoW, and it looks way more bland.

Eiji Aonuma also hinted at wanting the end of the game to flow better, sooo maybe there'll be changes made to the Triforce hunt. I'd like a whole new dungeon, but I don't see them doing all that much beyond the new sail, Tingle bottles and maybe a re-tweak of the end.

I got back from the Nintendo experience, and the 3D World demo was great. Be aware, that if you go on Saturday, you're likely only to get to play one game so choose wisely. I'd say you can't go wrong with anything they had to offer, though I would suggest not Wind Waker if you've already played it. If you want a lengthy demo, Mario Kart 8 seems to be the way to go, you get a full circuit.

Im jealous you went to the E3 event, but how did Mario Kart 8 play for ya? If you did get to play it.

I actually didn't get to play it, sadly. However, I did watch some guys play it and heard from them. It looks and runs great, like seriously, it's beautiful and it's already running at 60 FPS. The game uses traditional controls for GamePad use, while it also once against accepts tilt controls through the use of the Wii Remote, which seems to be far more tuned than in Wii. I should note, it's back to 12 racers again, though. Take that as you will, I didn't see any Blue Shells really flying, though.

I'm not sure whether this is something you might have taken note of, but did you use the GamePad for Super Mario 3D World? If so, do you think you can comment on whether or not it has eight-directional or free movement?

I used the GamePad. The movement seems to be the same as it was in 3D Land, but I didn't really pay enough attention to it because, it controlled perfectly so I didn't really think about it. Then again, I think I was moving more smoothly than the players on the Wii Remotes.

How about jumping? In Mario 3D Land, each of the different jumps (normal jump, long jump, high jump, backflip) all travelled the exact same length and height, except long jump which was ofc shorter, so all the different jumps were completely pointless besides like speed in some situations.

One of my least fav things about Mario 3D Land for sure.

Edited by SuperLink

I didn't really need any reason to long jump, so I didn't do it, sorry. I didn't have much time to play the game, that's just the way it is. I should have thought about messing around a bit, but there were 3 other people playing with me, so I just kept the flow going.