Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Also, is it just me or is local multiplayer on the Wii U totally unintuitive, especially in terms of what controllers to use? What controller are you meant to use with the Wii U as extras? They advertise it as "The Wii U works with Wii Remotes", as if it's for the purpose of backward compatibility rather than something that's actually mean to be used with the Wii U. And I don't even know what the Pro controller is supposed to be for. It's also confusing because there's only one Wii U Gamepad, which seems to be discouraging developers from making traditional competitive/cooperative local multiplayer (look at ZombiU or NSMBU; the gamepad guy doesn't actually "play" the same way as other players, he/she takes a overseer role). Am I making any sense here? When I want to play Xbox 360 with my brother I give him an Xbox 360 controller. When I want to play Wii U with my brother, what do I give him (and what do I use)? That's basically what I'm asking.

Speaking of X, there's a clip where the character seems to be walking through a town in real-time. Pretty exciting stuff. Wonder how vast the game is.

Am I making any sense here? When I want to play Xbox 360 with my brother I give him an Xbox 360 controller. When I want to play Wii U with my brother, what do I give him (and what do I use)? That's basically what I'm asking.

Instead of dumping their last gen controllers like most would Nintendo have fully embraced their inclusion with the Wii U. Bascially, the main controller, especially for single players, is the GamePad, beyond that games can potentially support Wii remotes (and Nunchuks) as well as the new Pro Controller.

It's up to each development team to decide what they want to support with each game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good GOD does that look better than FF15

Let's not say anything too drastic, now, haha.

a8nkvx.gif

Unless you meant gameplay-wise, in which case I can't really argue until I've seen more of both. But yes, X is very pretty.

X is a different type of game. Like Xenoblade, it seems be more about having a huge expansive world. A lot of what made Xenoblade so good looking was really just its scope. The art style was nice too, though.

X is a different type of game. Like Xenoblade, it seems be more about having a huge expansive world. A lot of what made Xenoblade so good looking was really just its scope. The art style was nice too, though.

One of the things that made Versus so promising in the first place was the huge overworld it's bringing, actually. You can see some of it in the last E3 trailer, back when it was a PS3 game. Unless they radically changed the game's concepts, it could be just as big, if not bigger.

lol. That PS4 game looks like it could be ported to Wii U.

HINT HINT SQUARE

I don't know about that myself, my brother was saying he watched the E3 thing earlier and saw a lot of corridors. FF XV won't be looking that good if its world is as big as Xenoblade's, it's just not possible. Honestly now, blockiness should be expected when it's Nomura behind the helm, though. Kingdom Hearts continues to suffer from that to this day.

Edited by Super Mario

lol. That PS4 game looks like it could be ported to Wii U.

HINT HINT SQUARE

... Are we even looking at the same game?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh so this is that "X" game Nepenthe was talking about.

Looks awesome, but that name is really shitty.

I swear, people will add X to anything to make it sound cool. It's even lamer to make it the whole name.

It's just "X" because everything Takahashi works on has the word "Xeno" in the title.\

Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade Chronicles.

I don't know about you, but it looks good but not amazing. It's an up ported PS3 game to begin with, it doesn't even use the Luminous Engine, it uses Crystal Tools.

Then call it Xenomech, or Xenothing, or Xenodicks, anything but just "X"

"X" is the working title, probably because they just want to be mysterious for shits and giggles.

I don't know about you, but it looks good but not amazing. It's an up ported PS3 game to begin with, it doesn't even use the Luminous Engine, it uses Crystal Tools.

Up-ported PS3...? The game was rebuilt from the ground up over a year ago. The old engine was on Crystal Tools. This is Luminous. Built on a PC with DirectX 11, and they can consider any platform that supports high end DirectX 11 level hardware functionality and horsepower.

All of this has been specifically said today at Square's panel. I don't mean to be an ass about this, but you seriously don't know what you're talking about right now.

The Wii U isn't even close to that. It would catch fire trying to run this game.

Edited by Discoid

Now, you're saying it was built on new cards and NOT built around DirectX11, right? Because you do realize the PS4 doesn't support DirectX. That's why the GPUs are customized, because Sony isn't paying to use Microsoft's software technology.

Edited by Super Mario

Now, you're saying it was built on new cards and NOT built around DirectX11, right? Because you do realize the PS4 doesn't support DirectX.

No. It's built on DirectX and ported to "any platform that supports high end DirectX 11 level hardware functionality and horsepower". The PS4 is not built on DirectX, no. I never claimed it was. It is built with architecture that supports that level of functionality and horsepower. 

The Wii U does not have that level of fidelity, thus it does not apply.

Read it yourself if you don't believe me.

Edited by Discoid

That's all I wanted clarified, because I've seen people acting like PS4 is actually based off of DirectX. I'm not even sure even the 360 was (which is kinda weird).

That's all I wanted clarified, because I've seen people acting like PS4 is actually based off of DirectX. I'm not even sure even the 360 was (which is kinda weird).

I want to say the Xbone is, but I'm not sure. I do know that it and the PS4 are about as close as the 360 and PS3 though, with the Xbone being on the lower end.

ibnSeYTJivEj5O.gif

quickone6wjzi.gif

vs

a8nkvx.gif

Saying Xenoblade 2 doesn't even 'come close' kind of makes me laugh to be honest. I mean, I get the PS4 looks cool but comparing the two really shows how close the jumps are. The Wii U is not a 360, it can pull off more impressive graphics. Xenoblade 2 looks absolutely gorgeous. I honestly would not be surprised if we saw Final Fantasy titles hit the Wii U. The fact that the new engine is supposedly scaleable also helps this. I know the Wii U uses different architecture, but it could happen one day.

Edit: Even with the extra power of the PS4, I prefer the art style of Xenoblade 2. Looks lovely.

Edit 2: Just found out the developers of Xenoblade 2 are Square.. before they merged into Square Enix. You know, the good square. Ahahahahhaa

Edited by Autosaver

Number of enemies on screen. AI. Animations. Particle effects. There's a lot more to what runs these games than polygon counts and texture resolution.

X is a pretty game, but there's a reason it's not as technically impressive as Final Fantasy XV. It plays much slower and there's far less happening on screen at once.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but saying the Wii U could handle it is talking out of your ass. Square was asked why they didn't port it to Wii U and got the answer you'd expect. They built the game using a PC running DirectX 11 and can port it to any system with that level of horsepower. The Wii U does not provide the tools to make that version of the game possible.

Now this is purely speculation on my part, but I highly doubt they'd skip the Wii U if they didn't have to. Why? It's on the Xbone, purely on the basis that porting it was easy. There's no way in hell Square expects more RPG fans to be with Microsoft than Nintendo.

Edit: Even with the extra power of the PS4, I prefer the art style of Xenoblade 2. Looks lovely.

Cool. 

That has nothing to do with running it on the Wii U, though.

Edit 2: Just found out the developers of Xenoblade 2 are Square.. before they merged into Square Enix. You know, the good square. Ahahahahhaa

That's funny. You're funny.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ok, who gives a shit. They're both good games for their system anyway.

But X will be way better

• Thumbs Up 1

Number of enemies on screen. AI. Animations. Particle effects. There's a lot more to what runs these games than polygon counts and texture resolution.

Downsizing in one area will allow room in another area. Let's just make a BS scenario up right now.

PS4 runs at 1080p, 60FPS with max details.

Wii U version would run 720p, 30fps, mid details.

This would surely allow more room in areas such as enemies on screen, AI, animations, and particle effects. Not all of these are important such as particle effects and I wouldn't really mind seeing the nice details removed.

X is a pretty game, but there's a reason it's not as technically impressive as Final Fantasy XV. It plays much slower and there's far less happening on screen at once.

Speaking of enemy count, Bayonetta 2 seems to be looking VERY impressive with tons of enemies on screen. It's running flawlessly. Actually, it looks like it has MORE on screen than FF15. (actually not really, just moving very fast with lots of enemies. anyways, i'm not saying it looks better graphically. just more impressive)

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but saying the Wii U could handle it is talking out of your ass.

You're making it sound like that it could be ported over without a single hiccup. This is odd because I specifically mentioned the scalable comment, concluding that I knew that sacrifices would be made. The Wii U in no shape or form would be able to handle that through a direct port. That's crazy talk especially with the different architecture involved with the Wii U.

Right now, Square Enix does not have the tools. But what happens if the Wii U userbase opens up? What if it blows up and Square Enix reconsiders trying to dig deeper and retool for the Wii U? Of course their technology doesn't support it, but I'm sure if they went in and took time to try to get a working Wii U engine we could see something in the future.

Now this is purely speculation on my part, but I highly doubt they'd skip the Wii U if they didn't have to. Why? It's on the Xbone, purely on the basis that porting it was easy. There's no way in hell Square expects more RPG fans to be with Microsoft than Nintendo.

The Xbox is easily ported because of Direct X 11, right? What if the tool is modified to scale with the Wii U?

And again, I'm not saying there won't be sacrifices, especially for a game that wasn't even built with Wii U hardware in mind. Xenoblade 2 has the advantage of being optimized to maximum potential, while Final Fantasy XV does not. The Wii U is definitely more powerful than the 360, and Bayonetta 2 along with Xenoblade 2 definitely showed off some potential here. I wouldn't mind if Square Enix reconsidered trying to do development on Wii U. Yes, there's a reason but it's possible that obstruction could be removed one day.

I'm still excited over this game.

Cool. 

That has nothing to do with running it on the Wii U, though.

And what is your point? Am I no longer allowed to display my opinion or something? It doesn't have to be so negative lol.

Ok, who gives a shit. They're both good games for their system anyway.

Hopefully. I lost faith in Square a long time ago. Xenoblade (a freaking Wii game) blew away everything Square made last gen. I really enjoyed the new focus and evolution in JRPGs. Open world and freedom, not boring linear hallways.

Edited by Autosaver

Autosaver... I love discussions like this, and I'd like to continue, but I'm completely baffled as to what your point is right now. You're bringing in so much superfluous information that I don't know what we're even talking about at this point.

Are you trying to tell me X looks nicer? I'm not disputing that. It's a matter of opinion.

Are you telling me the Wii U could handle the game as is? That's what it seemed like until your last post, and it's, quite frankly, a completely false statement.

Are you trying to tell me X is going to be a better game? Sure, I guess. We'll never know. But X is one of the two games I actually want a Wii U for.

Are we talking about the efficiency of down-porting? The tools available? Whether or not it's worth it?

I'd love to take part in this discussion but please just tell me what we're even talking about, haha.

The funny thing is, if you asked me which one of those gifs was from a game called "Final Fantasy", I'd probably say the X one; lovely environment, armour, blade weapons and incredible fantasy creatures.

It may not have the greater tech behind it, but X looks like a much better game to me.

Edited by EuroMIX