Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I didn't really need any reason to long jump, so I didn't do it, sorry. I didn't have much time to play the game, that's just the way it is. I should have thought about messing around a bit, but there were 3 other people playing with me, so I just kept the flow going.

No worries, I can imagine how rushed the situation is at events like that. So jealous you got to play it though!

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, the whole clear pipes gimmick actually is really fun since you can control your direction through them and there's actually things to do in them. Like for instance, there was a little "puzzle" where you had to move through a pipe intersection to grab a Star before you got then go through a nearby blocked pipe in order to grab a Green Star (they replace the Star Coins).

The general public have an automatic association. To them, press conference = E3, there is no distinction (even though press conferences are before E3, not E3 itself). If Nintendo say they won't have a press conference, the public assumes this means Nintendo aren't going to E3.

Don't really think ignoring them is the best course right now, lol. Some of them are kind of well founded.

You know, like the criticisms third party support.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually didn't get to play it, sadly. However, I did watch some guys play it and heard from them. It looks and runs great, like seriously, it's beautiful and it's already running at 60 FPS. The game uses traditional controls for GamePad use, while it also once against accepts tilt controls through the use of the Wii Remote, which seems to be far more tuned than in Wii. I should note, it's back to 12 racers again, though. Take that as you will, I didn't see any Blue Shells really flying, though.

Hopefully you can use the pro controller cause thats one thing I wanna use. They announced all the controllers, except for that...

It's probably supported. Don't worry.

Nintendo says they've talked to over 1,000 3rd parties after unveiling of Nintendo Web Framework

Also, at the March Game Developers Conference held in San Francisco, we announced to the attending game developers Nintendo Web Framework, which provides a way of developing Wii U software using open web technologies like HTML5 and JavaScript, and the provision of Unity for Wii U.

Since then, we have received great feedback. We have been in contact with more than a thousand parties.

Even though software for dedicated gaming devices has become advanced and complex, we have been working on those new approaches to expand the range of developers for the platform. As digital business expands, there will be even more opportunities for us to do business with small, independent software developers.

(Mostly indies I presume)

Almost entirely indies, I would assume. That's a good amount of indies, provided most of them actually produce and release games and apps for the Wii U, which is not a foregone conclusion.

Now we just need Nintendo to do the exact same thing for non-indie third parties, but without the sort of improvement in system sales which the next 18 months of first and second party releases will hopefully bring, such an event would not help, unless it specifically told EA how to put FB2, even FB3 on the U.

Oh, shit! There's something I forgot to mention about the Tropical Freeze demo. DK and Diddy both had 3 hearts instead of two. This could mean that New Mode is a thing in Tropical Freeze too. It didn't appear to be the extra heart item, because the third heart was part of the normal life bar.

While it is possible that there'll be a three hearts mode in the final game, I think the extra hearts were just for the sake of the demo, since the trailer only showed them having two hearts.

For comparison, Super Mario 3D World demos were giving people 50 lives at the start.

I have a question, with the premium Wii U you get some sort of eShop points system or something yeah?

Is it tied to console or account?

I'm basically asking if I have to buy a new one for the bonus, or if I could buy a secondhand one?

It's tied to the account. The account is tied to the console.

You can probably format a used one and make a new profile.

Ahh alright, so does it use existing accounts from my Wii/3DS? Or would I need a new Wii U account too? Cause I'd hate to loose my VC games I bought in my wii

I hope so, my replacement Wii wouldn't let me do it for some reason but its probably because Its not connected to the Internet!

thanks for the help!

So..  There was a total lack of Nintendo Network developments at E3, we still have no idea if the VC situation, the account situation, or anything will ever really change, as well as what the supposed "summer firmware" will be like.

There's also still no sign of GBA games being released, and no confirmation of N64, MegaDrive, NeoGeo or GC games on the way.

I really wish Nintendo would tap into the amazing potential of their online and digital services.

• Thumbs Up 2

All in all it feels actually like Nintendo isn't making an effort. They didn't announced any new incentives to buy the Wii U over the other platforms launching this year, they didn't bring in any killer apps, they didn't say anything of VC and NN...

I enjoyed all the Nintendo news this E3. But ultimately, it's a massive disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 1

All in all it feels actually like Nintendo isn't making an effort. They didn't announced any new incentives to buy the Wii U over the other platforms launching this year, they didn't bring in any killer apps, they didn't say anything of VC and NN...

I enjoyed all the Nintendo news this E3. But ultimately, it's a massive disappointment.

You're kidding right? For many, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropic Freeze and Super Smash Bros are exactly the killer apps people have been waiting for.

It's just that we, the gamers, knew they'd be making an appearance. The lack of real surprises was the disappointing aspect here. The casual audience though? As far as I've heard the Best Buy and E3 booths were massive successes.

• Thumbs Up 5

I suppose we have to remember that, even though we stalk places for new info and are largely aware of trends and anticipated releases, more casual gamers will undoubtedly need more prodding that something is on its way.

• Thumbs Up 1

If a new Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros aren't killer apps then I don't know what is.

Sure, we all knew they were going to be revealed, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're still going to attract a lot of sales and attention. Plus as Carbo says, we also have Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD and a new Donkey Kong Country and a Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game... all on the way this year. That's a lot of franchises we're getting in a short space of time. Sure, a new Metroid or Star Fox would have been nice, but they're hardly Nintendo's best selling series, and both have had a bit of questionable quality in their more recent entries.

Nintendo's announcements may have lacked surprise, but it doesn't mean they lacked quality. Had they not said that these big new games were coming, we'd have all been blown away. But on the flipside, if they didn't say they had some big name games on the way to reveal, we'd all have been saying how rubbish their E3 showing was going to be in the lead-up to it. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're kidding right? For many, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros are exactly the killer apps people have been waiting for.

It's just that we, the gamers, knew they'd be making an appearance. The casual audience though? As far as I've heard the Best Buy and E3 booths were massive successes.

I'm sure those booths are the best idea Nintendo had. They'll definitely capture everyone's interest. But the games themselves are very much just standard fare. Being Nintendo that standard is pretty damn high of course, though it's just not enough to win people over in regards to system's performance against it's competitors. It's like Nintendo aren't even bothering to compete with Microsoft and Sony right now.
  • Thumbs Up 2