Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Oh that is hilarious!

Stupid and pointless as far as trolling goes, but hilarious.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's really quite sad if I'm honest, I know there are people who hate the direction the series has taken, but being a troll and acting obnoxious about it is making the legit unhappy fans look like whiney fanboys when compared to the losers posting bad reviews for the sake of giving bad press to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I didn't see it coming.

I think we all saw it coming. Just not like that.

I don't even like the direction the series is going, and even I would have given it a somewhat fair review than those trolls.

Can't say I didn't see it coming.

Considering what happened with Mass Effect 3 last year, I honestly can't say that I didn't see this coming, either.

Do you have a 360?

Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry HD Collection are also on the 360 it you ever wanted to give them a try.

Devil May Cry 4 is also on PC.

... Oh, my. How come it took me this long to learn of this? Thanks for letting me know about this; this will probably make a huge DMC fan out of me! smile.png  

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 2

*sees picture on last page*

Wow. And i thought NG3 got hit hard. The so called "fans" of this series just basically said fuck you Capcom. Sad thing is they probably didn't even give DmC a chance. The probably saw new Dante and was like "fuck this shit.".

I know for sure I'll at least be renting this game. If not that, I'll buy it used (because I still hate capcom) because I'm a cheap fucker when it comes to games out side of my safe zone.

ruu0A.png

The hell with the user review?

Edit: Take a look at the 10/10 review too lmao

Er... wow, that's uh... something.

I can understand why some are pretty peeved by the route the game took, but geez, talk about angry fanboyism. Can't say I didn't saw it coming though. A bunch of people were really pissed when the game was first announced, and they still seem to be pissed.

Still, It's not really something that's gonna prevent me from playing it someday. I'll check this and the others out sometime, and I'll probably skip DMC2 and watch a Let's Play or Walkthrough of it or something.

Fun fact: 90% of the time a video game on Metacritic is bombed with low user scores it's by /v/, with varying degrees of good and bad reasoning. Why you or anyone should care about that is pointless because anyone who has the ability to plaster ads on their home pages will be the only ones by developer standards to matter and anyone else will be considered self entitled (see; Mass Effect 3 debacle). I'd say it's pretty clear who comes out on top, I just consider it interesting to watch and if nothing else it's a good way for developers and publishers to at least consider where to go from. Glancing on the image boards though it's clear the complaints are less shallow than white hair.

DmC is not just some bad hair day even though it's really well made. There are problems with the game beyond just that, even as a game on it's own, and it's worth analyzing for the same reason Mass Effect 3 and similar games of it's ilk was. It's just a shame that they'll be buried among the stigma the title's generated.

Overall though? I'd say this is the fairest and most neutral outlook on what the game ultimately is for both fans and not-fans.

I'm picking the game up second hand next Monday or at least keeping a look out for a rental since the game is allegedly short as hell. The demo didn't click for me, what I've seen beyond that looks dumb and the scoring system is still completely broken. Despite the story and characters being unlikable, considering how hilarious people made them out of context maybe I can get some cheap laughs, and I hope the additional weapons and upgrades can prove to provide a fun action experience on it's own because on those merits it provides.

Still stupid that there's no lock-on.

• Thumbs Up 3

You unlock it by beating one of the difficulty modes, can't remember which one. The other costumes, including Super Dante, are too.

Well it's nice to know there's an aesthetic bonus to look forward to by completing the game, even though it won't factor in my enjoyment.

To be honest if there is one thing I'd take from the originals above anything else it'd be the music. I don't really care about the character design since it's not that bad, Dante's attitude is what mainly sours up that impression for me and it's why I think a costume change isn't going to help anything, it'd only make me think less of a character I already really like.

The music on the other hand certainly would. A good deal of areas still give me a DMC4 vibe and I miss that gothic and visceral, yet subtle and atmospheric vibe that DMC3 provided in it's music. I can't think of any game that has music like it, and I think just capturing that kind of atmosphere instead of Noisia and Combichrist's god awful in-your-face wub wubs would make the production feel a lot more subtle and "cool" instead of pushing the scenes into our faces.

I'd actually buy DmC for the PC if someone manages to mod DMC3's music into it.

To be honest if there is one thing I'd take from the originals above anything else it'd be the music.
subtle and atmospheric

THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE IIIIIII

I'LL LAUGH LAST 'CAUSE YOU CAME TO DIEEEEE

I'd actually buy DmC for the PC if someone manages to mod DMC3's music into it.

All UE games are built the same (just as they look hohoho) and .upk unpacking is easy, but I'm not sure if there's a way to repackage the audio file back into a valid format. Try looking that up.

To be fair, 110% more subtle and less grating than angry wub drops screaming about throats full of glass and being SSSENSATIONAL. Feels like being in a Michael Bay produced Transformers movie directed by Skrillex and the Wachowskis.

I was talking mostly about things like the Mission Start, menus and level ambiances though, love that stuff that paces things. DmC never catches a break.

I never grow tired of listening to this. Soothing. Very beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 8

A troper, on the subject of baby murder:

In all seriousness, I don't think that scene in of itself is that horrible considering the situation, but, it's how things are handled afterwards that's the problem. It looks like a sign that Vergil has gone too far, that he doesn't have any honor and or sympathy. In a weird way, it's also a sign that these bad guys probably aren't as rotten to the core as once though, since there's obviously a lot of sadness and grief caused from it.

The problem is though that this has very little impact on Dante. He never calls Vergil out on it, and when Vergil asks him to use it against Mundus, Dante seems fine with it, showing barely any hesitation as he describes it, and he does it quite cruelly. And during the level before this, Dante and Vergil are both acting like good chums (don't get me started on the dick joke).

We're supposed to believe that by the end of the game, Dante's been going through character development, but mocking Mundus with that is something I'd expect from Dante pre-character development. You know, the one who acts like a jerk. There's never any tension with Vergil after that scene, and at the end the tension has nothing to do with that act. There's no sign of Dante ever doubting Vergil's morals. And intentionally or not you end up feeling more sympathetic for Mundus and Lilith. While that does make them more dimensional than the typical bad guy, the way they're portrayed before that seems intended to make us really loathe them and view them as just evil. It feels like the game's going for Black and White Morality but by the end it inadvertently winds up as Gray and Gray Morality without any kind of gradual change.

I think if anything this shows just how sloppy the writing in this game is. What are supposed to be this big moments end up having little impact, while in contrast it feels like they expect these little moments of dialogue to be what makes us see the characters develop. This story would have been sooooo much better if after that moment things got really tense between the brothers. Dante's sense of morality has been growing and he's starting to see Vergil for who he really is, growing to distrust him, and gradually building up to the eventual betrayal. But instead things go right back to normal afterwards, and Dante ends up looking like and even bigger douche than he did before when he uses that incident to mock Mundus with zero remorse. If Dante wasfeeling bad about that, he sure doesn't show it, and if he did he ends up looking like a wuss for not defying Vergil over it. I don't know about you, but even most of the really dark anti-heroes don't cross that line.

Seriously, I cannot see Dante in any sort of heroic light after that, and I cannot buy his supposed development, that he suddenly cares about and wants to protect humans. REAL sympathy for others isn't race exclusive, and if this Dante was as well developed as some people claim he was, Vergil killing Lilith like that should have been a much bigger deal for him. There could have been this moral Dante learned from it all, that "not all demons are pure evil" just from spending time with Phineas, from seeing how scared Lilith was during the exchange, how much grief she and Mundus felt when they lost their hideous child. There could have been this thing where Dante begins to question if killing all demons is the right thing to do. There could have been more substance if Vergil said he was going to rule all humans and kill all demons, with Dante stepping up and saying that all races deserve freedom. THAT would have been good writing.

• Thumbs Up 5

I was talking mostly about things like the Mission Start, menus and level ambiances though, love that stuff that paces things. DmC never catches a break.

I never grow tired of listening to this. Soothing. Very beautiful.

Jokes aside, I agree and was going to post the divinity statue music too, but I see you edited that shit in while I was busy.

Love that fragment of Devils Never Cry.

All UE games are built the same (just as they look hohoho) and .upk unpacking is easy, but I'm not sure if there's a way to repackage the audio file back into a valid format. Try looking that up.

To be honest, I don't get why people don't like this song that much, I really like it and hearing it for every fight is kind of a blessing to me considering that its pretty much devil's never cry with different lyrics, and the music for DmC really annoy's me, while it goes with the atmosphere it would have been nice if it wasn't the type of metal rock that I don't like and along with another music genre that I really don't like already (dubstep).

Still stupid that there's no lock-on.

Is it? Because unless I was playing MGR: Re wrong, I noticed in the demo that there's no lock on for it either when you're hacking foes to pieces, but that didn't stop it from being fun. So why is it the case for this game?

Am I missing something here or what?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Doesn't Xbox support custom sound tracks? I'm sure you could load up a collection of DmC music.

Fanboys can bash this game all they want. Everytime I boot up the demo, I keep finding new combos, new moves. Like I didn't know each weapon (normal, demon, angel) had a dash move. (->-> attack). And it leads or finishes a combo. Fucking amazing. Or that jump+guns=a jumping shooting move. What? My mind is blown everytime I learn something new about this game. Sure the previous games may have had it but it's the fact that I keep learning something new. Just like Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. The more I play this demo, the more it makes me want to give Crapcom money. Damn you crapcom for making a good DMC but not showing any kind of love to MegaMan.

Before I go to bed, here's a nice DmC review from ANN. Very even-handed. A good deal more fair to the game than I think either side is capable of at this point. :P

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1