Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Well, if it's one thing I don't do, it's judge a book by its cover.

If I don't have all the details, I'll either not argue it at all or argue only from what I know while admitting that I don't know everything to be sure. I take these words to heart: if you don't know everything about something, don't act like you do and argue with someone who knows it better. It makes you look stupid in the process.

Fair enough.

DMC2 was a major step-back from DMC1, you'd think it was made first. Combat does not work the same way; rather than focus on button timing, you hold the control stick in a certain direction while mashing buttons in order to do different combos. However most enemies in the game can be beaten with simple button mashing. The bosses, on the other hand, usually require you to just shoot at them for a long time; their patterns are repetitious and it'll take you a while to take them out. The most notorious examples are the helicopter and the octopus bosses. The environments are much larger than they were in DMC1, but they all might as well have been empty corridors, because there's fuck all to do in them, except now it takes three times as long to get to your destination as it did before. There are no melee weapon upgrades; you get three types of swords and that's it, no different combat options.

That's not even getting into the confusing and ambiguous story (the biggest question DMC2 raised was if it even had a plot at all) and Dante's robotic personality.

Viewtiful Joe on the PS2 is a better DMC2 than the actual DMC2 is. Just play Dante mode. If you really want to experience DMC2 then just watch AccountingNightmare's LP of the game, which is in DMD mode. She's not only an expert DMC player, she also is pretty informative about the games she plays and explains why DMC2 fails where the other games succeed, without devolving into a blubbering mess of fanboyism.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate Yahtzee so goddamn much. I only tolerate him when he is in his Shawn persona in Assassin's Creed. But as a reviewer, he accentuates the negative on everything as if the game he is reviewing does not have any positives. 

Kinda like how some of the DMC fanbase is treating DmC eh?

Just a minor observation.

• Thumbs Up 1

In their defense, they're not exactly accentuating the head guy in charge of the game being a jerkass about the responses and adding fuel to the fire. And that kind of attitude is probably what is adding to their dislike by proxy.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Main pro I can see with regards to DMC2 is how Dante moves around in that game.  I cannot be the only one who thinks it's damn cool seeing Dante able to run and leap off walls right from the start of the game.  It's actually the one aspect of that game I wish they carried forward to DMC3, DMC4 and DmC from that game.

Oh and Dante's design was pretty damn cool in my opinion.  He looks really classy.

Apart from that it's pretty much the definition of a "meh" game.  You can beat a lot of the game just by mashing guns for example.  Why you would want to, I don't know, but nonetheless it's poor design that you can.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some of the bosses required that you mash guns, like that freakin' 3 Face thing. Tris whatever.

Oh yeah I remember that boss. I beat DMC 2 on Dante Must Die and the tactics for that boss changed alot from what I remember. It was a pain in the ass at first because he would do random shit, and that dreaded lighting circle. Ugh. Hated that. It kinda hard because he would shoot it twice as quick than in the other difficulties.

Also, for some reason I actually find myself getting hit more in DmC despite the enemies telegraphing their attacks ridiculously. Either I'm lulled into a false sense of security or it's not always possible to dodge out of a combo like in the old games.

So the way this thread went:

Beginning: Game looks like shit

Middle:Game somehow looks worse then I thought

Now: I'm actually liking the game. Hope they make another one.

Wow. Capcom actually proved people....wrong. In a positive way. I'm gonna play the demo before I pick up the game. Thinking about renting it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big thing I noticed when comparing DMC2 to either 3 or 4 is that every attack, whether by Dante, that clone devil girl thing, or Trish, felt absolutely anemic. They barely covered any ground and had no oomph at all.

Well I’ve finished the game so here’s my final say.

I love this game! A lot more than I expected. It’s different to past games but it still manages to keep the aspects of what made the original series so great. The combat while more streamlined and less deep than past entries, it’s a hell of a lot of fun. Getting to mix up your weapons during combos is great. The whips are my favourite new weapons. It makes aerial combos a breeze to preform and is really handy to bringing enemies where you need them to be. I also quite like that certain demons need certain strategies to take down while being attacked by normal demons. It keeps the action tense and satisfying.

The world of Limbo has fantastic art direction. Each area feels different and always brings something new to the table. While the platforming sections are basic, the world itself is so fascinating that I look forward to see more of it. The soundtrack was something I wasn’t sure about at first since Dubstep was what the trailers were showing most of. After playing the game I’m really digging the OST. Dubstep is hardly used so its heavy metal and a bit of screamo that makes up most of it like the original series.  The voice acting overall is pretty good. It won’t blow your mind but for Devil May Cry standards it’s a step up I think.

I love the plots of the original games. They were fun cheesy stories with plenty of kick ass moments. DmC feels a lot different here. Action is still present but it’s not even close to matching the action scenes of the past games. This story feels more human than previous entries. Dante starts out as a guy who cares little about anyone and just enjoys killing demons and getting laid. Throughout the game I started to like him more and more. The trailers make him out to be an unlikable asshole but the further you get into the plot, the guy has heart. He still has the cheesy one liners and is a fun loving guy like the original Dante. He just has a more edgy side to him that fits the modern tone of the game. Say what you will about the new Dante and that’s perfectly fine. I really like him and he has the potential to develop a lot should this reboot series continue. One character I really like over the original is Vergil. This version of him is really fascinating and I like how he cares for his brother in this one. By the end I really want to see him develop more. I like the direction Ninja Theory went with him.

I will say that this reboot does fix an issue I had with past games. The levels and bosses never repeat themselfs. I love the old games (Execpt 2) but having to repeat stuff like that was unneeded padding.

So what could of been better? The boss fights while very enjoyable are really easy to beat. Their patterns are really basic compaired to past games.

I’m still wishing the game had lock on. I’ve missed enemies a couple of times which would of worked better with it. But the more I play the less it bothers me. Hopefully next time.

Some of the missions can feel really short compaired to others. One in particular only took me a minute and a half. I was expecting a bit more.

So overall I enjoy this game a lot. In terms of overall enjoyment I’d rank this as tied with Devil May Cry 3 as my favourite game in the series. Like many I was sceptical at first when it was announced but this reboot is really enjoyable and I’d love to see more. It’s not going to be for every fan and its fine if you still hate the direction Ninja Theory went with. I commend them for sticking to their vision throughout the feedback to give us something fresh from this fantastic franchise. As a big fan of Devil May Cry this reboot is great.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now: I'm actually liking the game. Hope they make another one.

Wow. Capcom actually proved people....wrong. In a positive way. I'm gonna play the demo before I pick up the game. Thinking about renting it.

Not... really...? Most people who like it are the same ones who've been defending it for a while now. Most who thought it looked like shit still think it looks like shit.

Yeah there is only a handful of people defending the game, nothing has really changed, or others are too stubborn to even try it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah there is only a handful of people defending the game, nothing has really changed, or others are too stubborn to even try it.

Or have tried and still fucking hated it.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 8

For the record, I thought the demo was shitty shit and there isn't a single thing I like about the game; and I've yet to even beat real DMC game. I really liked Nero's half of DMC4 and didn't feel like playing the same game twice, and I loved what I played of DMC3 at my friend's house. 

It isn't only insulting because it's not Devil May Cry by any stretch, it's insulting because it's obnoxious as fuck and trying way to hard to be edgy and mature.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 5

It depends on what type of gamer you are.

If you are here for the experience, don't find any enjoyment in discovery of new aspects that you can do, and prefer to not getting your assed kicked a few times because the learning curve is as flat as Taylor's Swift's ass, this game is for you.

If you want a challenge, depth in your control scheme, variety in abilities, and being rewarded properly for overcoming said challenges, you will hate this game.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 6

It depends on what type of gamer you are.

If you are here for the experience, don't find any enjoyment in discovery of new aspects that you can do, and prefer to not getting your assed kicked a few times because the learning curve is as flat as Taylor's Swift's ass, this game is for you.

If you want a challenge, depth in your control scheme, variety in abilities, and being rewarded properly for overcoming said challenges, you will hate this game.

This game does have new aspects to discover; you unlock new abilities and weapons as you go along that will allow you to access hidden areas with secret missions. These secret missions get very challenging later in the game and really require you to know your stuff. I just did one that requires you to defeat all of the enemies in the time limit,  but they will only receive damage in the shrinking highlighted areas. You couldn't do it with simple button mashing. Your reward is an energy cross thing that will give you an extra chunk on your health bar for every four of these you earn from these secret missions. 

I would also say this game is challenging, has depth in its control scheme and has a variety of abilities once you have unlocked and purchased (not with real money) them all. The demo definitely doesn't represent everything on offer.

I thought the game looked like shit, then I played the demo and thought it wasn't bad. Now I own it, and I'm enjoying it. PARADOX.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm getting really tired of posting in this thread so this is probably going to be the last major post I make here before I eventually find a way to play this game.

I honestly don't believe that DmC appeals to an audience that doesn't prefer taste or challenge in their games. It simply appeals to a different audience. DmC and the other DMC games are clearly different breeds of action games and which one you prefer, or even if you like both, doesn't say anything about you as a gamer. I think saying that people who like DmC don't enjoy challenge or exploring new things is doing a massive disservice to those who see something in this game you don't.

I still am not fond of this game in terms of how it does certain things and what it means for the DMC series. I let my money do the talking by only buying games from Capcom that I want to see more of in the future, such as the upcoming Ace Attorney 5, and DmC is not one of them. However I don't look down on people who enjoy this route and if nothing else I am glad that others can appreciate something I do not, because unlike a certain other reboot that's coming out soon, I don't see the game as wholly offensive other than how it treats the core game it bases itself from. Beyond its place in the DMC series, I don't really give a shit, and it's not getting that much vitriol from me anymore.

What it means for people enjoying DmC, however, is that Capcom is very unlikely to bring back the old DMC after this game's success. The surprising lack of criticism made toward this game in professional reviews means there doesn't seem to be much discussion about not only what could make future installments closer to old DMC games in spirit, but also the inherent flaws this game has on its own. I'm not mad at Ninja Theory for making this game, at people who are enjoying the game, or even at those who are ignorant enough to write off the criticisms as "baww white hair." It's Capcom I'm personally irritated at due to their modern business practices and for having so little faith in their own IPs that it's just one of those "damned if you do, etc." scenarios. If this game bombed then they probably would have written off DMC as a failed franchise and never bother to revive it again.

So at the very least I can say without irony that it's good that people can appreciate this game because I can't think of a single advantage if everybody hated it instead. I don't even like what I see of the game myself, but between the two options the franchise would have ended on a way too sour note if this game turned out to be actually bad like a lot of people were expecting, or even hoping, it to be. So did the game turn out good in the end? It probably did after all. But as a consumer that's personally not my concern.

• Thumbs Up 6

This game does have new aspects to discover; you unlock new abilities and weapons as you go along that will allow you to access hidden areas with secret missions. These secret missions get very challenging later in the game and really require you to know your stuff. I just did one that requires you to defeat all of the enemies in the time limit,  but they will only receive damage in the shrinking highlighted areas. You couldn't do it with simple button mashing. Your reward is an energy cross thing that will give you an extra chunk on your health bar for every four of these you earn from these secret missions. 

I would also say this game is challenging, has depth in its control scheme and has a variety of abilities once you have unlocked and purchased (not with real money) them all. The demo definitely doesn't represent everything on offer.

I agree, plus you can play on a harder difficulty. With bloody palace coming (I heard around next week or so) and Vergil's DLC coming February there is even more stuff to do. What I find funny though is that DMC3 came out, it was criticized for being too difficult. Right now still on my first playthrough, playing in the Nephlim difficulty and its not exactly piss easy because you are not even familiar with every single enemy type yet so your tactics and the way you play will change. The demo for DmC is just a scratch on the surface. If anything I doubt the demo's intention was to give the best challenge possible, more like showcase the game's combat mechanics.

ruu0A.png

The hell with the user review?

Edit: Take a look at the 10/10 review too lmao

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2