Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Is it? Because unless I was playing MGR: Re wrong, I noticed in the demo that there's no lock on for it either when you're hacking foes to pieces, but that didn't stop it from being fun. So why is it the case for this game?

Am I missing something here or what?

I haven't played Metal Gear Rising so I wouldn't know how that pans out, but for DmC it's really kind of stupid that that they didn't include it. A deal of weapons are designed for singular encounters and by not having a central point of focus that you can move around you lose the ability of backward/sideways directional inputs. Directional inputs are like with fighting games, it frees up buttons by adding ways to streamline movements into one another. Instead we have two dodge buttons and one dedicated launcher. Even though it "being a staple" might not mean it's something they wanted to keep because different game play and whatever, it still makes the battles chaotic and not very focused.

I really can't think of any cases where a game improves by omitting the feature, but since this game is less about finesse and more about causing devastation it's alright I suppose.

The two dodges thing is actually a decent idea. It's really awkward dodging on the same side as the trigger you're holding down- having dodges on both sides alleviates this as you instead use L1+R2 or R1+L2 to dodge, which feels mostly natural.

Truth is out about classic dante. It's DLC apparently, alongside notVergil and 2000sCybergoth http://gematsu.com/2013/01/dmc-devil-may-cry-costume-dlc-announced

I'm pretty disappointed DMC3 dante isn't unlockable. I imagine some people are enraged by the move to sell it

Or, here's an idea, put the lock-on and the dodge button on the triggers and not the bumpers, so it's much more comfortable. My personal preference would be LT as lock-on and RT as dodge. Not rocket science. Having dodge on two shoulder buttons is a crutch to try and marginally improve a horrendous control scheme, which was the result of the equally stupid and rather limiting angel/devil system.

Overall though? I'd say this is the fairest and most neutral outlook on what the game ultimately is for both fans and not-fans.

Before I go to bed, here's a nice DmC review from ANN. Very even-handed. A good deal more fair to the game than I think either side is capable of at this point. tongue.png

I can understand those reviews. In fact, I'd say I prefer them. They don't gloss over the profanity like the other reviews do, and they don't bother with the misleading number scores that should've been scrapped years ago. I liked the idea Main Event suggested in one of his videos of a rating system that only has "Buy, Rent or Avoid."

Swearing doesn't usually bother me, but with the amount in the game and no real attempt to be witty. It just makes me feel really uncomfortable. Like witnessing somebodies child screaming in a public shopping mall. You just want to get away from it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Doesn't Xbox support custom sound tracks? I'm sure you could load up a collection of DmC music.

Yeah you sure can.

I have to admit this game looks interesting. As someone who've never played the DMC games, should I play this first or the HD Collection?

I have to admit this game looks interesting. As someone who've never played the DMC games, should I play this first or the HD Collection?

Depends what your looking for. Go for DmC if you've never played the series and don't mind the reboot. The combat is easy to get used to and it eases you into it at a good pace. Or go for the HD collection for 2 awesome games that have a great challange and deep combat systems.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

What BlueTidalGamer said sounds reasonable enough to me. With the fanbase now severely split, you might want to be careful who you ask.

Do both. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just beat it. Absolutely epic game! Go buy it now if you haven't already. 

Ending spoilers.

Can't say I didn't see the plot twist at the end coming, though. It's a shame, since Dante and Vergil got on so well throughout the game and you could tell they loved each other as brothers. Glad they left it open for a sequel. Would love another game if it's as good as this one.

Really enjoyed the gameplay and all of the combos that open up as you unlock more weapons and abilities. Combat is so satisfying and I love the variety of enemies and how they encourage you to use different weapons. Bosses could have been a bit harder outside of the final boss, but I was playing on the medium difficulty setting. I love the game's soundtrack, too. 

Oh, and I haven't played the previous games outside of some of DMC 4 as Nero, but I <3 this Dante. He's really not the douchebag the trailers make him out to be. He's a very likeable character. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just finished it today myself and man last boss was definitely great stylistically and mechanically! Love this game from start to finish. Judging by reviews and ending I am pretty sure a sequel is coming. At least I REALLY hope so because DmC was so freaking awesome and I want more, more, more, and more!!!! Bloody Palace I heard is coming next week and Vergil's Downfall comes out next month so I am definitely looking forward to it. Man this game lived up to my expectations completely. Ahh!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dat final boss battle.

outstanding

-boss glitches once

THIS GAME IS BROKEN WORST PIECE OF SHIT EVER. Some of the shit he says is just plain wrong, and although it is pretty whack the boss isn't doing anything there, I'm wondering what would have happened had he actually attacked at that point. The whole him standing there thing reeks of him looking for a reason to shit on the game, rather than actually play it. I doubt that happens often in normal play, and the boss worked fine when I went up against it.

Combo tech video-

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a thing I heard Jim Sterling say, and I actually agree with it. It's all right that people are disappointed with the game, a lot was changed, some things that people really loved about DMC. What's not fine is to shit all over people for liking the game, I don't particularly see that here but, videos like that do reek of what makes fans get at each other's throats.

• Thumbs Up 1

-boss glitches once

THIS GAME IS BROKEN WORST PIECE OF SHIT EVER. Some of the shit he says is just plain wrong, and although it is pretty whack the boss isn't doing anything there, I'm wondering what would have happened had he actually attacked at that point. The whole him standing there thing reeks of him looking for a reason to shit on the game, rather than actually play it. I doubt that happens often in normal play, and the boss worked fine when I went up against it.

Combo tech video-

Something similar happens with the 1st boss(?) too.

Pretty funny to see this happen in any game really.

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 1

Something similar happens with the 1st boss(?) too.

Pretty funny to see this happen in any game really.

SSSensational

Wow, seriously?  Dubstep?  Ok, have fun with that I guess.  Based on that second video, once a boss glitches it seems to stay glitched. 

Clearly the boss has begun to doubt that he's actually fighting Dante and has begun waiting to see if a white haired Dante is going to show up.

• Thumbs Up 7

Wow, seriously?  Dubstep?  Ok, have fun with that I guess.  Based on that second video, once a boss glitches it seems to stay glitched. 

From what I can tell, a good chunk of this game has it in it, along with medicore metal songs.

They should have made the final boss the white haired Dante.

Though, I'm sure most people would just go "NO" and kill themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

They should have made the final boss the white haired Dante.

Cue Shakespeare duel.

10/10 GOTY

Doesn't help when said bosses do literally nothing other than just sitting there and throwing attacks at you.

Like most bosses in this game.

Edit: Also, I cannot fathom how anyone can consider Donte to be a likable character. His entire 'development' is completely unconvincing, revolves around Kat (who is pretty much a one-dimensional character by herself with an exposited backstory which doesn't matter), and aside from general dickery, both him and Vergil pretty much crossed the line at a certain point we're all aware of...

Firstly, the whole scene with Vergil shooting Lilith in the womb and then in the head (which was, I once again state, entirely tasteless), and despite Donte initially being surprised about the whole thing, instead of refusing to use it against Mundus like a proper hero would...

... He proceeds to gloat about it to Mundus. What attempts to make him seem uncomfortable just end up being entirely unconvincing, and the way he gloats about it makes him look like a villain rather than a hero.

Oh, and Mundus' reaction to Lilith dying makes clear he actually cared and loved her. If he was really as evil as the game claims he is, he either would've thrown a massive hissy-fit because his second-in-command and hellspawn just got offed (considering them more as 'tools' than loved ones), or just not given a shit.

It's amusing how the antagonists just come off as less assholish than the actual 'heroes', half the time.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 5