Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

This is like the Mass Effect 3 ending all over again between those who enjoy the product and those who have a problem with it if you ask me. Not that there aren't people who just want to enjoy the game, but it's like no one learned a damn thing when it comes to flaming people over their criticisms and supporting points.

I hope you don't mean in this thread. People have been pretty civil here and accept that some people like it and some people don't. Not seen any flaming here at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you don't mean in this thread. People have been pretty civil here and accept that some people like it and some people don't. Not seen any flaming here at all.

This thread's been civil enough, even though I can see the HURR HURR CLASSIC FANS GOT TROLED XDXDXD shit getting on people's nerves, if only because this game in general is a touchy subject. 

But I'm pretty sure ChaosSupremeSonic was just talking about people in general. And he's right. A lot of people who are enjoying the game are completely misunderstanding why so many people are resistant to it, and why it feels like a betrayal to them. 

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 7

It's a stupid gag, honestly, and certainly doesn't improve my opinion of Ninja Theory any.

Though what really grinds my gears is how the gaming press is hell-bent on insulting the fans who don't like this game, all the while focusing on the hair and pretending that genuine criticisms don't exist. It's seriously unprofessional. Hell, a lot of crap around this game has been seriously unprofessional.

I'm gonna wait for Yahtzee's review. He's gonna have a field day with this game.

I hate Yahtzee so goddamn much. I only tolerate him when he is in his Shawn persona in Assassin's Creed. But as a reviewer, he accentuates the negative on everything as if the game he is reviewing does not have any positives. Look at his Borderlands 2 review where it seems that he stopped playing it after he beat Wilheim and then complained about how easy it was, completely missing the point that it was supposed to be.And when you do point out that he should have played it a little longer, Yahtzee's Nazis use Final Fantasy 13 excuse of saying "well if the game sucks for an hour then why play it longer." As if the very fucking things that he was complaining about does not get fixed immediately after? Or his Mirror's Edge review where he comes to the conclusion that Faith or her ilk may be terrorists when the game clearly points out that they aren't at the end. This interpretation of the game still is considered today.He annoys me.

• Thumbs Up 8

Hmmm finished it earlier today but haven't really had time to talk about it because i've been pretty busy. All in all it's a damn fine game. If I had to score it it's probably an 8. A lot of the things people are complaining about with regards to the plot, and Dante's characterisation is nowhere near as bad as it seems. The gross or over the top shit in the game only seems as terrible as it does because it's been taken out of context. Dante is actually a pretty likeable guy. The characterisation hovers somewhere between quiet tough guy DMC1 and cheesy DMC3, which I would argue as being a success.

Vergil is done less well.

I'll write more about this in the morning, but right now I must sleep. Pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it tho 

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a rather insightful article, commenting on Ninja Theory's attitude towards "art", the fans, and why this game really should've been its own IP.

One way or another, I genuinely don't believe this game works as a Devil May Cry game. Nearly everything about this game is so utterly removed from the original games that they could rename everyone and everything and the results would've been the same.

Here's a rather insightful article, commenting on Ninja Theory's attitude towards "art", the fans, and why this game really should've been its own IP.

One way or another, I genuinely don't believe this game works as a Devil May Cry game. Nearly everything about this game is so utterly removed from the original games that they could rename everyone and everything and the results would've been the same.

Not really. Devil May Cry is a well known franchise in this generation. So it's going to get more reception than it will as a new IP.

• Thumbs Up 1

though I'm not much of a DMC fan (having had poor luck with maintaining a PS2 for more than a few months, and not buying a PS3 yet)

Do you have a 360?

Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry HD Collection are also on the 360 it you ever wanted to give them a try.

Devil May Cry 4 is also on PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find the incorporation of a training mode to be awesome. I had actually hoped they had implemented this in full game and to my surprise they did. I literally spent like 2 hours yesterday just polishing up and creating new combos. Real cool stuff.

???

So... so this is the first boss, right? No one would make an end-game boss that easy in Extra Hard mode, right?!

and also, "aaaaaaahhhh :|"

So... so this is the first boss, right? No one would make an end-game boss that easy in Extra Hard mode, right?!

and also, "aaaaaaahhhh :|"

It's not the actual final boss (Vergil is right after this one) but for Ninja Theory and their ability to build things up it's... kind of anti-climatic.

That awkward moment when you actually ask....is DMC 2 really as bad as people say it is?

Aside from the "lol they trolled the old DMC fans" and Remz calling us idiots for (intentionally) twisting his words which are very minor here as far as things go, no not this thread. Was talking more about how fans who are resistant to this new DmC are being insulted and/or mocked by a lot of game journalists in their dislike of this game, similar to how game journalists did the same thing to fans of Mass Effect 3 when said fans were disappointed with the ending.

I hate Yahtzee so goddamn much. I only tolerate him when he is in his Shawn persona in Assassin's Creed. But as a reviewer, he accentuates the negative on everything as if the game he is reviewing does not have any positives.

I thought him accentuating the negative was his whole shtick as far as reviewing goes? Unlike other reviewers who do it, I actually like it when Yahtzee does it, even if I don't agree with him (and in a few case when I believe he is down right wrong, though I can't recall much for that part).

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

That awkward moment when you actually ask....is DMC 2 really as bad as people say it is?

Kind of. Pretty much.

Story is hardly an issue but if we consider the way the games are character driven;

DMC1 Dante = Unsuspecting Bad Ass coming to terms with his past

DmC Dante = Unabashed proud Jock/Asshole

DMC3 Dante = Unabashed proud Bad Ass

DMC4 Dante = Unsuspecting Party Man

DMC2 Dante = Robot

Game play wise, it panders to that one small minority of people who complained about DMC1 being too hard, because DMC2 is too easy. Most people have an easy time considering it completely negligible since it's placed at the end of the series' timeline, and I'm fairly sure even Kamiya said the game was just bad and not true to it's roots. It's pretty much the Other M of the franchise if you'd remove the offensive parts and make everything be "boring/bad" universally.

I'd kind of call it more offensive than DmC on some fronts though considering that game is trying to be it's own universe, not intervene with an existing canon. DmC at least has direction and doesn't seem to pretend Dante is supposed to be likable.

It's a miserable experience. Being a Devil May Cry fan it's the worst in the series.

I'm interested in playing DmC someday.

I'm avoiding DMC2 like the fucking plague. Everything about that game looks infinitely worse than DmC could ever hope to accomplish. Even Dante.

You'd do well too. Even if you have the HD Collection, ignore DMC 2. I decided to give it one more chance, and I should not have,

As I progress through DmC, it just gets better and fucking better. Judging by the enormous amount of positive reviews, I am pretty sure they will make another one. (Personally I REALLY hope so, they should just keep the same combat as this game but take it even further next time around) Really good job Ninja Theory.

Edited by Urban Flow

Honestly, as far as the gameplay goes from looking at the videos, DmC looks solid if way too piss easy compared to previous titles. And were it a different IP (or told at the very beginning that this would be an alternate Dante instead of the marketer's intial claim), there would be absolutely no complaining (or some alienation before they tried it out).

Narrative-wise? I'm inclined to dock it a few points from the game seeming to insult the fans, but from little I've heard of that it seems like the game only does this a few times.

But, I'm not gonna try this game anytime soon aside from the Demo I still haven't even bothered playing yet.

Throughout the thread I've been reading how everyone says DMC 2 is horrible... Why? Nobody ever elaborates as to why it's terrible, and it's been bugging me for quite a while so please someone tell my why.

To be honest, I've never played the DMC series in my life and I'm curious, that's all. I might someday if I ever get the money and the time. 

As for this game... It doesn't look horrible gameplay wise, I admit... In fact, It looks enjoyable enough, IMO. Dante in this game seems like a huge Douchebag though, and not the likable kind. Something about him (especially the cockiness in his voice) just grinds my gears. But like the old series, I might give it a shot someday.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

You guys do know there is a playthrough of this on YouTube (unless it's been taken down already)?

EDIT: found it.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Honestly, as far as the gameplay goes from looking at the videos, DmC looks solid if way too piss easy compared to previous titles. And were it a different IP (or told at the very beginning that this would be an alternate Dante instead of the marketer's intial claim), there would be absolutely no complaining (or some alienation before they tried it out).

Narrative-wise? I'm inclined to dock it a few points from the game seeming to insult the fans, but from little I've heard of that it seems like the game only does this a few times.

But, I'm not gonna try this game anytime soon aside from the Demo I still haven't even bothered playing yet.

I think it depends the way you play to be perfectly honest, I think the game is suited for both casual and the more advanced player. Like you can do some complex shit (as I have done myself) Combos that can string for a good amount of time if done right. I can't take your word too much because you just admitted that you have not even played demo. Which is something kinda bugs me with people. It's like judging a book by its cover.

Edited by Urban Flow

I think it depends the way you play to be perfectly honest, I think the game is suited for both casual and the more advanced player. Like you can do some complex shit (as I have done myself) Combos that can string for a good amount of time if done right. I can't take your word too much because you just admitted that you have not even played demo. Which is something kinda bugs me with people. It's like judging a book by its cover.

Well, if it's one thing I don't do, it's judge a book by its cover.

If I don't have all the details, I'll either not argue it at all or argue only from what I know while admitting that I don't know everything to be sure. I take these words to heart: if you don't know everything about something, don't act like you do and argue with someone who knows it better. It makes you look stupid in the process.

• Thumbs Up 2