Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Whoa what? I've seen Solly's posts and he's indicated before that he doesn't feel strongly about the DMC series due to not having played them before; most of the things he has said in this topic were to do with understanding where detractors are coming from and pointing out that a lot of people who deride their complaints as "baww fanboys" are being unreasonable, which I think is a safe assumption to make even if you're not directly involved in it.

His last statement just kind of seemed to me like a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that this whole debacle might not be something he'd want to get worked up over.

Sorry if I'm reading the whole thing wrong, it's just that I never got the "bandwagon hater" impression from his posts. As far as I'm aware he hasn't even directly criticized the game in this topic.

Exactly.

Remz, I'm not sure how anything I said indicated I was "bandwaggoning on the hate train" or showed that I was "attatched to a character I've never even played as." I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. At the moment I couldn't care less about DMC, as fascinating as it looks, but it's annoying to see fans of the series who feel alienated by the new game get lumped into the same hivemind, labeled as uninformed or fanboys, and have their opinions dismissed as if nothing they say has any validity.

Kinda like what you just did to me.

• Thumbs Up 7

So... seeing as I still have my Xbox 360, should I go try out the demo for this game now, or just wait until I get my hands on the DMC collection first?

So... seeing as I still have my Xbox 360, should I go try out the demo for this game now, or just wait until I get my hands on the DMC collection first?

Whichever you prefer. I would personally suggest the collection, bias aside, because there's quite a bit more content in there.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

I'll admit if the game didn't have so much sexual content in it, I probably would have picked it up just to give it a try. I'm still not overly keen on Dante's new look and personality, but eh. Sadly I won't be picking it up due to the content in it.

Edited by Lhancat

The only sexual content is that stupid scene with Mundus and Lilith. Still not quite sure why they even did it, I mean it sets up a plot point, I guess.

The only sexual content is that stupid scene with Mundus and Lilith. Still not quite sure why they even did it, I mean it sets up a plot point, I guess.

Wait, that's actually a sex scene?

I happen to like the sexual and crudeness. The swearing adds to the rawness of it. I was huge skeptic at first but the demo and trailers leadingup to the game were really out of context. There is plenty of character development in this game too. I went from hating this with a passion (after watching the trailer) to loving the shit outta it. Its great coming home from a shit day at work to kick the ass out of demons with an axe whilst dante swears at them haha!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, that's actually a sex scene?

Well, he's humping her. It doesn't show anything other than his head and shoulders, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the moment I couldn't care less about DMC, as fascinating as it looks, but it's annoying to see fans of the series who feel alienated by the new game get lumped into the same hivemind, labeled as uninformed or fanboys, and have their opinions dismissed as if nothing they say has any validity.

Considering the amount of people I see hating this also contemplating picking up the HD collection. I begin to wonder. Sorry for painting you with a broad brush tho. A lot of this kind of thing hits a nerve with me, and you didn't deserve to get chewed out. I overreacted. 

And yeah that sex scene is retarded beyond belief. Especially the pan overs of vibrating photos of mundus with people of power. Seriously ninja theroy? seriously? it doesn't get much more juvenile than that cutscene,

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the amount of people I see hating this also contemplating picking up the HD collection. I begin to wonder. Sorry for painting you with a broad brush tho. A lot of this kind of thing hits a nerve with me, and you didn't deserve to get chewed out. I overreacted. 

It's fine, really. Also the reason I picked up the HD collection is because I've had a friend on Steam who's been gushing over it for about 2 or 3 months now. I managed to find it dirt cheap, and I really enjoyed Bayonetta, so I figured I'd give it a go. 

I thought about checking the new one out when I'm done with it, but it'll be a billion years before a Capcom game lowers in price on a Steam sale.

Also in this thread, I'm surprised to see such strong reactions over a sex scene in DmC. It's not like the stupid 30 second mini-games in God of War, right? I'm almost afraid to ask what's so bad about it. 

Edited by Solly

Because it is fact? 

I'm going to be honest here.  I'm getting pretty tired of seeing this "this game is factually solid" and "you're not viewing it from a factual viewpoint" stuff.  I can just as easily claim that my opinion on why the game isn't solid is fact too, but that doesn't mean it is and yours isn't either.

Anywho, I've been playing through the DMC games on the HD collection; well I'm still on DMC1 and I'm having a great time.  Then first person water segments with horrible controls happened.

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 5

Anywho, I've been playing through the DMC games on the HD collection; well I'm still on DMC1 and I'm having a great time.  Then first person water segments with horrible controls happened.

Worst 3 minutes of my life

• Thumbs Up 2

Worst 3 minutes of my life

Yeah, the segment is really short, but why honestly have it in there at all then?  You even get a shiny new gun for the occasion.

DmC entered the UK Charts at #1 but sold only a third of what DMC4 did during it's launch week there, and this is including DmC's earlier release day.

It charted nowhere else in Europe.

Suppose that means it'll get a £30 price dip like every other NT game the next couple of weeks. Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer unless I find a rental.

Pretty much. There's no actual maturity in this game, just immaturity claiming to be something it's really not.

From what I'm hearing, so far the UK is the only place where this game is actually getting a top chart spot, and that's only because there's literally no other new releases to compete with it.

Capcom boasted that they wanted to sell, what, 5 million copies? Then they later dropped the estimate to 2 million, which was roughly around what DMC4 sold. Except now it looks like it's looks like it might only sell a third as much, at most.

As usual, it seems Ninja Theory can't make a game that can actually sell. Their last two games kinda bombed, too.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Because it is fact?

I apologize, but I feel I need to mention something about this bit.

When you say something as a fact, the best way to get that point across, is to either quote of provide a link (or both) to the information that shows this. However, reviews cannot possibly be considered factual. Because if they were, then all reviews would be the same. A review has always been and forever will be, an opinion.

That being said, I'm not really sure what the term "solid game play" implies. I've never heard of runny game play, or liquid game play. Who decides what's solid and what ain't?

Someone here used to say that ShTH was about coolness as 10 year old kids understand it. Isn't new Dante the same thing?

Not even close, really although some of the cutscenes get into that territory.

Dante doesn't try anywhere near as hard as something like ShTH to be "cool". He's a pretty grounded, normal sort of character, and I find him cool in a natural way, as opposed to feeling forced. He's pretty quiet apart from a few one liners here and there. Not at all cliche or appealing to ten year olds. That's more like old dante

• Thumbs Up 3

That being said, I'm not really sure what the term "solid game play" implies. I've never heard of runny game play, or liquid game play. Who decides what's solid and what ain't?
Long ago, some time around 2000-2001 MEGAGame magazine said that vanilla Quake 3 have amorphous gameplay. wink.png I think solidity of gameplay means that game constantly requires high gedree of player's attention.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much. There's no actual maturity in this game, just immaturity claiming to be something it's really not.

From what I'm hearing, so far the UK is the only place where this game is actually getting a top chart spot, and that's only because there's literally no other new releases to compete with it.

Capcom boasted that they wanted to sell, what, 5 million copies? Then they later dropped the estimate to 2 million, which was roughly around what DMC4 sold. Except now it looks like it's looks like it might only sell a third as much, at most.

As usual, it seems Ninja Theory can't make a game that can actually sell. Their last two games kinda bombed, too.

Moral of the story is: Don't make pissing off fans as a marketing tactic.

Finished DmC. Still hated it.

Hey I have a question for those who like the game and enjoy it, what weapon type do you find yourself using more (like Osiris, arbiter, aquila etc)? or is it mainly even between all weapons?

Not at all cliche or appealing to ten year olds. That's more like old dante

How dare you?! How could you possible say that this guy is more appealing to ten year olds??

But seriously, I freakin' love that scene. It proves how the series likes to be cheesy and is obviously not taking itself too seriously. But it may also be worth noting that something that is "appealing to ten year olds." also means it has a wider range of people who may also be able to enjoy it.

Changing that means alienating current fans, although it could potentially create new ones. It's hard to say what's better.

On a related note, I'm kinda surprised that DmC got the same ESRB rating as 4 and HD Collection. *shrugs*

Anyway, I only posted to link that amusing scene. Talking some more wasn't part of my plan.

• Thumbs Up 4