Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

What are you talking about?! Clearly this is on the level of Shakespeare! The scene in which Donte writes "F**K YOU" on the notepad and slams it down on the guy is a metaphor for...ehm...CONSUMERISM! Or...something!

Actually, this game in general is an allegorical criticism of our society: it's a moronic and immature bastardization of the once great franchise pandering specifically to the tastes of stupid American teenagers, the very same that caused Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen to become one of the most financially successful movies in recent years! That's the true genius of DmC! It's so stupid it actually makes you think! Truly, Capcom should be congratulated for this metaphorical masterpiece of video game storytelling. I salute you, Capcom. I salute you.

Even I know I'm exaggerating at this point, but I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, that video was absolutely beautiful. I'm honestly surprised that they actually had the gall to call this narrative "Shakespearean". Have your opinion of it, but Shakespearean, it is simply not.

• Thumbs Up 1

You test it then. It looks like it's pretty strong to me.

I'm not going to elaborate on it because the statement stands on it's own. 

It isn't because it borders on being an Appeal to Authority. That's the weak joint I'm targeting here. Basically game is good because the reviewers are reviewing it well and it can't possibly be bad. Which would explain why people are throwing (or agreeing with those who threw) Sonic 4 as an example against you and why Masaru Daimon argued that sometimes Game Journalism is shit. Heck, they gave good marks to games like Sonic Chronicles and even DMC4 (a game you don't find to be that good), for what it's worth mentioning.

Now granted, I'm not in a position to argue that DmC is a shit game, as I've not played the demo and arguing against someone who has played the game and knows it better would be a stupid thing for me to do. Even more when Turbojet said that it surpassed his low expectations when he played it, so clearly there is something good to it despite my dislike of the aesthetics.

However, I wanted to test your point to see if you held that belief for any game, but seeing as how Turbojet and others are already testing you for me and you're confirming my suspicions on whether or not you believe that, I guess I don't need to bother too much. Ironic, because it was said in your defense that that wasn't what you meant and yet you're kinda doing just that for Sonic 4 and FF13.

Although I would like to know of your thoughts on StarFox Adventures Metacritic score of 89% while we're already in the process of it. Like Sonic 4, most of the reviews loved the game, but Starfox fans disliked the completely different direction the game went for the series. No it's not as amazing as DmC would be to you, and it has two 60s and a 58, but that's still a high mark for it nonetheless.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

In all seriousness, that video was absolutely beautiful. I'm honestly surprised that they actually had the gall to call this narrative "Shakespearean". Have your opinion of it, but Shakespearean, it is simply not.

To quote a troper, Shakespeare did introduce "obscene" to the popular tongue.

I was gonna go to the midnight release where I am at but hell I decided to go in the morning and get some food while I am it. I'll post my sincere thoughts on this tomorrow.

Sean, you bring up a great point when you said that DMC, & DmC should be two different lines of games. That way both parts of the fan base can be pleased. I think that would be an excellent idea. Judging by reviews it definitely has potential to green light for a sequel (which would be awesome). Truthfully if Capcom ever decides to do that, it would be great because I would get to enjoy the best of both worlds (and other fans who enjoy this game and the previous DMC's. 

I also look forward to playing Vergil's Downfall. From what I saw in the trailer, it looks sick as hell.

You idiots are twisting my words. It's not that because a game is reviewed well it has to be good, it's that a game that is reviewed well is more likely to be good, as opposed to something that reviews like shit. I would have thought this to be common sense. 

But it would seem that the ridiculous bitter, psychopathic fanboy hate for this game is blinding even that basic logic. 

If this game is as shit as the hate brigade would have everyone believe, it would be reviewing like capcom's last experiment with the west, Operation Raccoon City.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city

Reviews are not the be all and end all when it comes out to finding whether or not something is quality or dogshit, but they are a valuable metric for estimating quality, and typically a lot better than listening to some guy whose analysed a trailer, or the random opinion of some person of TV Tropes somewhere

I actually have the game sitting on my couch ready to play, I'll tell you myself whether or not it's worth playing after I finish the fucking DMC1 space harrier stage. grr.

• Thumbs Up 2

You idiots are twisting my words.

See what happens when you refuse to clarify? People will interpret it in several different ways you didn't mean. In my case, they'll do it on purpose to test your argument.

The so called, "trial by fire" as Dio once put it. (and I'm probably not even using that correctly...oh well. laugh.png)

It's not that because a gam is reviewed well it has to be good, it's that a game that is reviewed well is more likely to be good, as opposed to something reviews like shit.

Reviews are not the be all and end all when it comes out to finding whether or not something is quality or dogshit, but there are valuable metric for estimating quality, and typically a lot better than listening to some guy whose analysed a trailer, or the random opinion of some person of TV Tropes somewhere

I actually have the game sitting on my couch ready to play, I'll tell you myself whether or not it's worth playing after I finish the fucking DMC1 space harrier stage. grr.

Now, this is better. Now I'll completely throw away that assumption I made of you.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Almost Shakesperian

As someone who has actually studied William Shakey Shakey Shakespeare *shake shake shake.* Judging by what I just saw, no this is not 'Almost Shakesperian.'

But... the... examples people are using to illustrate this fact are probably not the right reasons as to why. Whilst the vast majority of people out there I imagine have studied Romeo & Juliet at school and maybe MacBeth. I doubt many of you have really studied Titus Andromicus, Hamlet or well... any of the other plays they don't teach in school.

William Shakey Shakey Shakespeare does often contain imagery and lines which one could consider to be gross and kinda silly to the stuff we saw in that video.

Don't forget, the final climactic moment to Titus Andromicus is that Titus bakes the children Chiron and Demetrius into a pie which their mother has just been eating.

Richard III more or less starts the play by saying 'I am a fucking bastard, I am a compelete fucking bastard, and you will all love me because I'm a fucking bastard' Ok it's not written like that, but thats what the tone of it is. Then the way he murders people in some cases is gross to the point it's nearly comical.

Shakey Shakey Shakespeare does have a lot of excessively dark moments, however, there is usually a big build up of a complex character which is belivable who has been built to these moments. But our 'Almost shakesperian Dante' erm... I'll believe that when I see it, well if I see it. But I doubt I'll see it, even if I see it, if you know what I mean, villain.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, Shakesphere had a lot of sex jokes and that sort of thing, to be fair, but at least he knew how to do proper complex characterization, narrative and relationships. And actual subtlety.

This game... Not so much.

YAY! DmC and the OST CD have arrived from HMV! biggrin.png All 3 DLC codes are missing, though sad.png

FiBzV.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Shakesphere had a lot of sex jokes and that sort of thing, to be fair, but at least he knew how to do proper complex characterization, narrative and relationships. And actual subtlety.

This game... Not so much.

Maybe you should try seeing the whole thing, instead of just watching compilation vids of the game's worst moments.

I've been playing it, and to be honest the story has been pretty tasteful, apart from the awful, awful dry humping scene. I'm aware of things that happen later and they too sound hidesous, but the vulgarity often doesn't permeate the game itself, it's usually reserved for the shitty cutscenes. the rest is just basic, basic game stuff.

I'm so sick of talking about this game but I just can't stop haha.

complex characterisation and narrative.... you're in the wrong series hahah, DMC1 has like 5 speaking characters and one of those is a giant spider, another a griffon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sent an e-mail to Capcom Europe for help about the missing DLC codes. HMV isn't listing any of the bonuses on their website now, so I don't know if they'll be able to help or not.

Maybe you should try seeing the whole thing, instead of just watching compilation vids of the game's worst moments.

I've been playing it, and to be honest the story has been pretty tasteful, apart from the awful, awful dry humping scene. the rest is just basic, basic game stuff. I'm so sick of talking about this game but I just can't stop haha.

complex characterisation and narrative.... you're in the wrong series hahah, DMC1 has like 5 speaking characters and one of those is a giant spider, another a griffon.

No, it didn't. Another online UK retailer called Propel Gamer has an exclusive lenticular sleeve.

http://www.propelgamer.co.uk/Product-Detail.aspx?id=1507

It won't let me embed the image for some reason.

HMV has sent out my DLC codes for DmC now via e-mail. The Virgil bit has me worried, though, since HMV may be going soon. "The Virgil DLC content is yet to be released. As soon as this content is available you will receive an email with a code for the content."

Mine arrived from HMV as well. Just about to play this game now biggrin.png

From the trailers the Vergil DLC doesn't look like it'll take long to release so i'm not worried. Hopefully HMV will remain till then.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

You guys make it sound like reviewers and most modern-day gamers care about a deep combo system and gameplay. We're talking about an age where FPSes are everywhere you look. Even fucking Walking Dead is getting a fucking FPS. All they care about is how fast they can deal the most amount of damage and have it look cool. Granted, I really doubt the game is shit in terms of gameplay, but I'd guess it's mediocre or above average, just not as good as past games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just played up until after the first boss fight

against the Hunter

. Really enjoying it so far. 

Mine arrived from HMV as well. Just about to play this game now biggrin.png

From the trailers the Vergil DLC doesn't look like it'll take long to release so i'm not worried. Hopefully HMV will remain till then.

Glad to hear your copy turned up, too biggrin.png Yeah, hopefully HMV will at least still be around for the Virgil DLC.

Bought it today. I'm surprised the store had it down here. Availability is pretty shitty down here where I live.

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew things were gonna get worse once the game came out. T_T

You idiots are twisting my words.

Just curious, are the staff allowed to openly insult members, or can we all do it? Their is this one guy I've seen around, and I'd love to tell him how idiotic he is. XP

That long post I made a couple of pages back, was actually mostly directed towards you, Remz. I didn't mention it in the post though.

I know you're staff, but I really think you should take a break from this thread. Maybe finish Devil May Cry 1 and then complete DmC and return with a cooler head and be able to express your personal opinion on the game, with no doubts remaining. Then nobody will be able to attack your opinion, because all opinions are subjective.

But that's just my opinion. lol

I figure that once open insults start to appear, then death threats are usually to follow.

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 2

http://kotaku.com/5976048/original-devil-may-cry-creator-sticks-up-for-the-new-dmc?post=56226768

Kamiya tweets on the new DmC.

and I REALLY LOVE this comment on the article:

I laugh at the not-too-subtle descriptors used for Kamiya on Kotaku ever since he told an editor to eat shit.

As for DMC haters... I reviewed Devil May Cry 1 for one of the biggest video game mags in the world. I gave it a 9.5, and said it was what a 3D Castlevania should be. I gave Devil May Cry 3 a 5 out of 5 as a freelancer writer for X-Play and called it "a near-perfect example of how to do the action genre right."

That said, I could give 2 shits that Dante's a brunette now. I saw the potential in Heavenly Sword and loved Enslaved, so Ninja Theory is on my "good" list. Makes perfect sense for them to take the helm and maybe add a little more narrative creativity to a waning yet beloved series. And the fact that its meta score sits around 86 right now is awesome. We need great action games to play. This is apparently one of them. I'd hoped the vocal minority would be silenced when they actually played this and saw it was not worth their venom.

• Thumbs Up 1

And whaddya know, it's the hair again.

Just as well, this:

I saw the potential in Heavenly Sword and loved Enslaved, so Ninja Theory is on my "good" list.

is about what I expected, and yet still somehow disappointing.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Much to do about the combo rewards malarkey, in Ninja Gaiden 2 if you kept using the same moves the enemies would block your predictable attacks and beat you up and steal your lunch money.  

http://kotaku.com/5976048/original-devil-may-cry-creator-sticks-up-for-the-new-dmc?post=56226768

Kamiya tweets on the new DmC.

Kamiya isn't working on Revengence is he?  Or is it Bayonetta?  I can't remember now.  

Neither. His only involvement in either is being the supervisor for Bayonetta 2. His actual next game as a director is The Wonderful 101.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just finished Mission 10 and will carry on tomorrow. So far i'm loving this game! The combat is fantastic, Limbo's art direction looks beautiful and new Dante is a really cool character. The trailers make him out to look like a asshole but throughout what i've played he isn't most of the time. He has a rebel nature to him and still has the chessy one liners like the old Dante.  He's actually quite likeable.

This game does have some advantages over past games in some aspects. The story telling feels better than past games (Don't worry I still really enjoy the plots in DMC 1, 3 AND 4) and so far each level feels diffrent from the rest.

Great game so far. A worthy reboot of the original series.

The joke in mission 1 was hilarious xD  It's pretty much a middle finger to fans who want the old Dante. Laughed hard when that happened!

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 2