Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Actually speaking of bosses, having looked at the MGR:R Boss Trailer I've just come to realize how astoundingly boring the DmC bosses look - but that's not just a problem inherent to this game. It's been a pet-peeve of mine for quite some time in the action genre and one I only started taking note of since Bayonetta, even though it didn't bother me as much then because of the game's general superb quality and balancing the bosses out with a Jeanne encounter or some such.

I'm really sick of oversized bosses who only plow through like tanks and don't flinch when you attack them. It's really lazy boss design, DMC4 had a good deal of "regular" bosses which I could really dig. But it's like every action game since then is all about scale. Seems like it's almost always the most evident in UE3 games where they need to milk cinematic and scripted events for "wow" factor.

Yeah, its probably the one thing that actually keeps me from getting this game (besides that music and the movie script story) and I wish they atleast got a team from capcom to do the bosses atleast and while im not saying they have to be like the DMC3/4 ones they could atleast move more.

Yeah, its probably the one thing that actually keeps me from getting this game (besides that music and the movie script story) and I wish they atleast got a team from capcom to do the bosses atleast and while im not saying they have to be like the DMC3/4 ones they could atleast move more.

One could argue the fact that this problem is NOT tied to just DmC, but to all new age games of this type, games are now catered towards casual gamers hence the dramatic drop in difficulty to veterans, but to people who are new to the series and these sort of games in general, they are hard to grasp and DO present a challenge, pinning all the blame on easy and uninspired bosses directly onto just DmC as another thing to hate the game about as if it's the only game that has ever done this wrong is just an oxymoron.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I cannot fathom how anyone can consider Donte to be a likable character. His entire 'development' is completely unconvincing, revolves around Kat (who is pretty much a one-dimensional character by herself with an exposited backstory which doesn't matter), and aside from general dickery, both him and Vergil pretty much crossed the line at a certain point we're all aware of...

So pretty much the perfect character for football fans/jocks/high school sports team?

Edited by Autosaver

So pretty much the perfect character for football fans/jocks/high school sports team?

That's entirely insulting, so yeah that's probably what they were aiming for. :U

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't help when said bosses do literally nothing other than just sitting there and throwing attacks at you.

Like most bosses in this game.

Edit: Also, I cannot fathom how anyone can consider Donte to be a likable character. His entire 'development' is completely unconvincing, revolves around Kat (who is pretty much a one-dimensional character by herself with an exposited backstory which doesn't matter), and aside from general dickery, both him and Vergil pretty much crossed the line at a certain point we're all aware of...

Firstly, the whole scene with Vergil shooting Lilith in the womb and then in the head (which was, I once again state, entirely tasteless), and despite Donte initially being surprised about the whole thing, instead of refusing to use it against Mundus like a proper hero would...

... He proceeds to gloat about it to Mundus. What attempts to make him seem uncomfortable just end up being entirely unconvincing, and the way he gloats about it makes him look like a villain rather than a hero.

Oh, and Mundus' reaction to Lilith dying makes clear he actually cared and loved her. If he was really as evil as the game claims he is, he either would've thrown a massive hissy-fit because his second-in-command and hellspawn just got offed (considering them more as 'tools' than loved ones), or just not given a shit.

It's amusing how the antagonists just come off as less assholish than the actual 'heroes', half the time.

I think you missed something.

Dante gloated about it because he had to try and piss him off to lure him out, so Vergil could shut down the hellgate to rid Mundus of his immortality. That was the best way he could enrage him. He didn't do it because he's a dick.

• Thumbs Up 4

Started my play through on Son Of Sparda. Haha man some crazy shit I tell ya. There were three waves of enemies in a part that was only supposed to last like 10 seconds xD.

Also, I like how people say the game is for "dirty casuals" and it introduces enemies that are making those types of players cry later on. All I ever see is complaints about Dreamrunners, since they're an enemy type that pretty much exists to punish mashers. Of course, these people apparently don't know Kablooey is their weakness.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, I like how people say the game is for "dirty casuals" and it introduces enemies that are making those types of players cry later on. All I ever see is complaints about Dreamrunners, since they're an enemy type that pretty much exists to punish mashers. Of course, these people apparently don't know Kablooey is their weakness.

I think the game suits both hardcore and casual. You can do stuff in this game that makes DMC4 look like child's play.

I think you missed something.

Dante gloated about it because he had to try and piss him off to lure him out, so Vergil could shut down the hellgate to rid Mundus of his immortality. That was the best way he could enrage him. He didn't do it because he's a dick.

That's besides the point.

Donte showed literally no remorse over doing such a thing. He simply goes with it with little hesitation on his part, and never feels clearly disgusted by doing such a thing before or after the deed is done. He never calls Vergil out on the way he killed Lilith, nor does he call him out on the plan itself.

If Tameem wanted to actually do that whole mess well, he would've either had Donte go "screw this" and find some other way to get under Mundus' skin without looking like a hypocrite, or would've been genuinely disgusted with the whole plan after Lilith was killed, even after using it against Mundus.

A TvTropes poster describes the whole thing better than I do:

"In all seriousness, I don't think that scene in of itself is that horrible considering the situation, but, it's how things are handled afterwards that's the problem. It looks like a sign that Vergil has gone too far, that he doesn't have any honor and or sympathy. In a weird way, it's also a sign that these bad guys probably aren't as rotten to the core as once though, since there's obviously a lot of sadness and grief caused from it.

The problem is though that this has very little impact on Dante. He never calls Vergil out on it, and when Vergil asks him to use it against Mundus, Dante seems fine with it, showing barely any hesitation as he describes it, and he does it quite cruelly. And during the level before this, Dante and Vergil are both acting like good chums (don't get me started on the dick joke).

We're supposed to believe that by the end of the game, Dante's been going through character development, but mocking Mundus with that is something I'd expect from Dante pre-character development. You know, the one who acts like a jerk. There's never any tension with Vergil after that scene, and at the end the tension has nothing to do with that act. There's no sign of Dante ever doubting Vergil's morals. And intentionally or not you end up feeling more sympathetic for Mundus and Lilith. While that does make them more dimensional than the typical bad guy, the way they're portrayed before that seems intended to make us really loathe them and view them as just evil. It feels like the game's going for Black and White Morality but by the end it inadvertently winds up as Gray and Gray Morality without any kind of gradual change.

I think if anything this shows just how sloppy the writing in this game is. What are supposed to be this big moments end up having little impact, while in contrast it feels like they expect these little moments of dialogue to be what makes us see the characters develop. This story would have been sooooo much better if after that moment things got really tense between the brothers. Dante's sense of morality has been growing and he's starting to see Vergil for who he really is, growing to distrust him, and gradually building up to the eventual betrayal. But instead things go right back to normal afterwards, and Dante ends up looking like and even bigger douche than he did before when he uses that incident to mock Mundus with zero remorse. If Dante was feeling bad about that, he sure doesn't show it, and if he did he ends up looking like a wuss for not defying Vergil over it. I don't know about you, but even most of the really dark anti-heroes don't cross that line.

Seriously, I cannot see Dante in any sort of heroic light after that, and I cannot buy his supposed development, that he suddenly cares about and wants to protect humans. REAL sympathy for others isn't race exclusive, and if this Dante was as well developed as some people claim he was, Vergil killing Lilith like that should have been a much bigger deal for him. There could have been this moral Dante learned from it all, that "not all demons are pure evil" just from spending time with Phineas, from seeing how scared Lilith was during the exchange, how much grief she and Mundus felt when they lost their hideous child. There could have been this thing where Dante begins to question if killing all demons is the right thing to do. There could have been more substance if Vergil said he was going to rule all humans and kill all demons, with Dante stepping up and saying that all races deserve freedom. THAT would have been good writing."

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 4

That's besides the point.

Donte showed literally no remorse over doing such a thing. He simply goes with it with little hesitation on his part, and never feels clearly disgusted by doing such a thing before or after the deed is done. He never calls Vergil out on the way he killed Lilith, nor does he call him out on the plan itself.

If Tameem wanted to actually do that whole mess well, he would've either had Donte go "screw this" and find some other way to get under Mundus' skin without looking like a hypocrite, or would've been genuinely disgusted with the whole plan after Lilith was killed, even after using it against Mundus.

A TvTropes poster describes the whole thing better than I do:

"In all seriousness, I don't think that scene in of itself is that horrible considering the situation, but, it's how things are handled afterwards that's the problem. It looks like a sign that Vergil has gone too far, that he doesn't have any honor and or sympathy. In a weird way, it's also a sign that these bad guys probably aren't as rotten to the core as once though, since there's obviously a lot of sadness and grief caused from it.

The problem is though that this has very little impact on Dante. He never calls Vergil out on it, and when Vergil asks him to use it against Mundus, Dante seems fine with it, showing barely any hesitation as he describes it, and he does it quite cruelly. And during the level before this, Dante and Vergil are both acting like good chums (don't get me started on the dick joke).

We're supposed to believe that by the end of the game, Dante's been going through character development, but mocking Mundus with that is something I'd expect from Dante pre-character development. You know, the one who acts like a jerk. There's never any tension with Vergil after that scene, and at the end the tension has nothing to do with that act. There's no sign of Dante ever doubting Vergil's morals. And intentionally or not you end up feeling more sympathetic for Mundus and Lilith. While that does make them more dimensional than the typical bad guy, the way they're portrayed before that seems intended to make us really loathe them and view them as just evil. It feels like the game's going for Black and White Morality but by the end it inadvertently winds up as Gray and Gray Morality without any kind of gradual change.

I think if anything this shows just how sloppy the writing in this game is. What are supposed to be this big moments end up having little impact, while in contrast it feels like they expect these little moments of dialogue to be what makes us see the characters develop. This story would have been sooooo much better if after that moment things got really tense between the brothers. Dante's sense of morality has been growing and he's starting to see Vergil for who he really is, growing to distrust him, and gradually building up to the eventual betrayal. But instead things go right back to normal afterwards, and Dante ends up looking like and even bigger douche than he did before when he uses that incident to mock Mundus with zero remorse. If Dante was feeling bad about that, he sure doesn't show it, and if he did he ends up looking like a wuss for not defying Vergil over it. I don't know about you, but even most of the really dark anti-heroes don't cross that line.

Seriously, I cannot see Dante in any sort of heroic light after that, and I cannot buy his supposed development, that he suddenly cares about and wants to protect humans. REAL sympathy for others isn't race exclusive, and if this Dante was as well developed as some people claim he was, Vergil killing Lilith like that should have been a much bigger deal for him. There could have been this moral Dante learned from it all, that "not all demons are pure evil" just from spending time with Phineas, from seeing how scared Lilith was during the exchange, how much grief she and Mundus felt when they lost their hideous child. There could have been this thing where Dante begins to question if killing all demons is the right thing to do. There could have been more substance if Vergil said he was going to rule all humans and kill all demons, with Dante stepping up and saying that all races deserve freedom. THAT would have been good writing."

That's pretty stupid...I can understand where your coming from, but ahh...if I say something insulting to someone with the wanted reaction of the person being angry, so that he would do something stupid that would give me the upper hand.

Why would I feel bad about that?

Why do you think people talk shit in sports or other similar activities in the first place? Muhammad Ali was someone who used tactics like this all the time to get the upper hand in fights. Seriously you people are totally overplaying this to make this guy look bad in every way conceivable.

Fortunately for Dante in this situation the whole talking shit thing was already part of him....and before he decided  to actually act the way he did...he did try to reason with him and he sounded very considerate while doing so.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's pretty stupid...I can understand where your coming from, but ahh...if I say something insulting to someone with the wanted reaction of the person being angry, so that he would do something stupid that would give me the upper hand.

Why would I feel bad about that?

Why do you think people talk shit in sports or other similar activities in the first place? Muhammad Ali was someone who used tactics like this all the time to get the upper hand in fights. Seriously you people are totally overplaying this to make this guy look bad in every way conceivable.

Fortunately for Dante in this situation the whole talking shit thing was already part of him....and before he decided  to actually act the way he did...he did try to reason with him and he sounded very considerate while doing so.

My thoughts exactly.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/9dqrn2/the-depths-episode-4--dmc--dudes-may-complain

@Carbo:

I definitely agree that there was a gigantic missed opportunity for the Dante/Vergil conflict to escalate in a  natural way, as opposed to the rather contrived way it happens in the final game.

There are a couple key moments during the game where the writing appears to be implying that there's going to be a split. There's the aforementioned baby shooting moment, and definitely the go piss of mundus part, but even earlier than that there's the section where Kat gets left behind, with vergil basically leaving her for dead whilst dante tries to save her.

I think the problem is that they wrote themselves into a corner. They wanted to build the D/V conflict whilst also taking out mundus. They were trying the cram the story arcs of DMC1 and 3 into the same game to please a crowd but didn't really succeed at either.

They basically turned Dante into a yes-man chump for no reason from about the point where Kat gets left behind. There's evenan  conversation where Dante admit he isn't as smart or as much as a planner as vergil "you're the brains, I'm the brawn" but it doesn't make sense that he still blindly follows him through the game, when he's so quick to stand for his rights at the end. I guess it's more convenient to have them work together until mundus dies. Lol bad writing.

One thing I don't get is how people can side with Mundus on the dante taunting him thing. This a guy who is puppeting the entire world, taking pleasure in telling dante over and over again how he ate his mother's heart after he tore it out with his own hands, and people are finding him more likable than dante? what the hell?

Still like the character tho.

Carbo pretty much nailed it right there. Donte is an asshole AND a massive fucking toolbox. His 'character development' is laughable.

Really, when a studio attempts to arrogantly boast its its work as a masterpiece of game narrative when it's actually far from it, expect people to take shots at it, especially fans of the previous games who were outright insulted by said studio.

I don't care how stupid you think criticizing this is, that kind of mentality is the kind that trivializes critiques and plays away flaws because they're not positives. It stifles video game story discussion and I absolutely resent that.

I did not once say at all that the story didn't have its issues. It does...and could have been made much better...I didn't care for the ending that much either and there was a lot of the plot that could have been reorganized better, but I talking about this particular situation. The "sport" example is a very good explanation of this particular situation with mundus. This is the villain here and he doesn't have any really redeeming traits for me to give a fuck about him. He a far worse asshole than Dante is even.

He is simply a wall to get past.

The problem I have with the story is that it tried to paint this sort of "Grey" area. This grey area was done piss poorly and would have been much better if Mundus was a redeemable villain of sorts. He is not in this story sadly...

As for Dante...I sure the Dante in the beginning of the story wouldn't not even have bothered to reason with Mundus. Once he realized that talk wasn't going to work he reverted to his old ways to distract him. The fact that he tried in the first place tells that he learned something or two...you can't downplay that. 

Edited by Voyant

The "sport" example is a very good explanation of this particular situation with mundus. This is the villain here and he doesn't have any really redeeming traits for me to give a fuck about him. He a far worse asshole than Dante is even.

He is simply a wall to get past.

Stop being ridiculous. I watched a youtube vid of the cutscenes and read some TV Tropes posts. Dante is the only asshole in this game. Mundus is actually the Anti-Villian. Spurred into evil by the murder of his beloved succubus, who he loved, and not at all just mad because he's a greedy son of a bitch who hates threats to his power because the game's plot has the depth of a bowl of gravy.

The problem I have with the story is that it tried to paint this sort of "Grey" area. This grey area was done piss poorly and would have been much better if Mundus was a redeemable villain of sorts. He is not in this story sadly...

Yes. And it seems awfully shoehorned in. It's a good thing you can skip the cutscenes and the game remains ridiculously fun despite it's plot.

Stop being ridiculous. I watched a youtube vid of the cutscenes and read some TV Tropes posts. Dante is the only asshole in this game. Mundus is actually the Anti-Villian. Spurred into evil by the murder of his beloved succubus, who he loved, and not at all just mad because he's a greedy son of a bitch who hates threats to his power because the game's plot has the depth of a bowl of gravy.

Yes. And it seems awfully shoehorned in. It's a good thing you can skip the cutscenes and the game remains ridiculously fun despite it's plot.

I'ma be honest and say that I didn't watch all the cutscenes in the game in full XD and that is indeed true of Mundus. I dunno maybe I'm a little less forgiving? If I see bad roots I take them out personally, regardless if that root was once a flower.

I'ma be honest and say that I didn't watch all the cutscenes in the game in full XD and that is indeed true of Mundus. I dunno maybe I'm a little less forgiving? If I see bad roots I take them out personally, regardless if that root was once a flower.

Neither did I. and I was mostly joking. The cutscene I'm referring to is after the slurm factory stage, and is at the end of the dry humping thing. The game makes it pretty clear that Mundus doesn't care about his women, all he cares about is perceived threats to his dominance- he gets mad not because lilith or whoever is dead, but because Dante himself has taken something away from his dominance. As A man that wants complete and absolute control over the world, have a snot nosed nephilim fuck things up is probably the worst thing for him.

This is why the taunting thing infuriates him so much. It's a reminder that his power is not absolute. 

I'm forgiving of the bad plot like I'm forgiving of the bad plots in every DMC game. cutscenes can be skipped, and as long as they don't intrude on the gameplay and the game it self is really fun, I could not care less about the actual plot. 

When it comes right now to it I'd much rather talk about mechanics, lost soul locations and etc, but very few board members seem to have the game, and whenever the subject gets brought up it's quickly stifled by someone reminding the world of DmC's combichrist soundtrack or shitty frat boy lead (which is bullshit, but the characterization of Dante is not something worth discussing with reactionaries.)

Whatevs...

Carbo pretty much nailed it right there. Donte is an asshole AND a massive fucking toolbox. His 'character development' is laughable.

average oversexed loner becomes less sexed, responsible loner. i can dig it

Really, when a studio attempts to arrogantly boast its its work as a masterpiece of game narrative when it's actually far from it, expect people to take shots at it, especially fans of the previous games who were outright insulted by said studio.

That's bullshit. Who cares what they say it is? What's more important is the reality.

When did they insult you? With the mop cutscene? Pretty funny they're adding a DMC3 alt costume then isn't it? :> I guess they really hate old DMC and DMC fans :>

• Thumbs Up 3

http://worthplaying.com/article/2013/1/18/reviews/87933/

This review knows where it's at imo.

Yeah, now that I think about it, DmC is more of an insulting game then an outright bad game. It has a terrible narrative, but the gameplay, while a big step down from other Devil may Cry games, does work and is functional and good, just not at all what Devil May Cry was about. And non-fans will not feel as betrayed by Bad Dante, as they never had a frame of reference or attachment as to what he was like pre-reboot. New fans will be able to look past all of the things that previous Devil may Cry fans hate.

In short, it's not an outright bad game, but a terribly insulting one to fans of the series. New fans will like it, but previous ones will hate it.

But the gameplay, while a big step down from other Devil may Cry games, does work and is functional and good, just not at all what Devil May Cry was about.

How is it a "big step down" from DMC1, 3 or 4? What is missing from these games that makes it a "step down" as opposed to merely "different"?

Saying it's shallow compared to DMC1 is an outright lie. and I'd even go as far to say that the differences between this and 3 or 4 are negligible too- especially considering how convoluted DMC4 dante is- I really doubt many people complaining about the game were playing it at a level that they'd even notice.

This is the only game where having an accessible, transparent combat system is being seen as a bad thing. I wonder if the people complaining about this game hate Dodge Offset or Bayonetta's dial-a-combos too. 

And non-fans will not feel as betrayed by Bad Dante, as they never had a frame of reference or attachment as to what he was like pre-reboot. New fans will be able to look past all of the things that previous Devil may Cry fans hate.

Yeah. God forbid, non fans might actually judge him by his own merits instead of watching a few of the worst cutscenes and throwing a fit.

• Thumbs Up 3

How is it a "big step down" from DMC1, 3 or 4? What is missing from these games that makes it a "step down" as opposed to merely "different"?

No-lock on, style meter fills up way too easily, way too easy in general, only three stances (Human, Angel, Demon) as opposed to the many "styles" of DMC4 (that you could switch on the fly) and in general feels more like Heavenly Sword then Devil May Cry?

Remz Said:
On his own merits, I honestly find him an unlikable douche. Carbo summed it up best. 
Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, now that I think about it, DmC is more of an insulting game then an outright bad game. It has a terrible narrative, but the gameplay, while a big step down from other Devil may Cry games, does work and is functional and good, just not at all what Devil May Cry was about. And non-fans will not feel as betrayed by Bad Dante, as they never had a frame of reference or attachment as to what he was like pre-reboot. New fans will be able to look past all of the things that previous Devil may Cry fans hate.

In short, it's not an outright bad game, but a terribly insulting one to fans of the series. New fans will like it, but previous ones will hate it.

So I guess it's impossible for a long time fan (in example, me) to like both type of games? Because alot of people make it seem like that, which is why this turns into a classic vs modern thing. Which is also sort of embarrassing thinking about it but yeah.

No lock on- Personal preference but big freaking deal. There's only one enemy in the game this is really absolutely an issue against- flying shield demons. They would probably be obnoxious with lock on too though. The games auto lock on makes up for the lack.

Style meter fills up too easy- Once again- big deal. The style meter is a pretty aesthetic, shallow way to think of the game.

Way too easy in general- Disagree. Playing Nephilim was mostly on par with my experience playing the original devil may cry straight before it. If anything it's slightly harder. The only thing more difficult in OG DMC is probably nightmare 3 and the space harrier stage.

I can see this being a fair complaint if you're playing on a lower difficult than nephilim. But that's the players fault for choosing easy

3 "styles" vs 5- Of the 5 styles in DMC4 (Gunslinger, Trickster, Swordmaster, Royal Guard, Dark Slayer) Two have had their moves integrated entirely within the game (sword master, gunslinger) And the rest are mostly gimmicks. Trickster is missing, yea but royal guard was basically just a parry and dark slayer a weapon specific style to replicate vergil. Big deal.

This is such a binary way to look at the difference in game mechanics I hate talking about it. It's basically a variation of It's Different, So It Sucks. Just because DmC hasn't cloned DMC4's needlessly convoluted and poorly thought out style system it's presumed to be inferior. If you could honestly effective switch styles and combo in DMC4 consider me impressed.

The last point is just plain BS spread by fanboys. this game feels like DMC.

Yes, it is embarrassing  but unfortunately these days people seem to care more about choosing a side than actually enjoying a game for what it is. 

• Thumbs Up 3