Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

So I guess it's impossible for a long time fan (in example, me) to like both type of games? Because alot of people make it seem like that, which is why this turns into a classic vs modern thing. Which is also sort of embarrassing thinking about it but yeah.

I just said that as a general statement. I never said there can't be exceptions, such as yourself.

All I know is I'm not one of the exceptions. 

This game was absolutely ruined by it's trailers/marketing. If they cut a better few videos before release I can't imagine fan reaction would be anywhere near as vitriolic as it is. Even the demo features what is pretty much the most juvenile, immature sections of the game. The demo even has one of the only occurrences of an unskippable cutscene in the entire game, twice.

Like they should have left the "FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU" exchange out... and maybe the fuck you on the list too. like damn if they cut a version without the words fuck you, easily would have been a million seller.

• Thumbs Up 1

No lock on- Personal preference but big freaking deal. There's only one enemy in the game this is really absolutely an issue against- flying shield demons. They would probably be obnoxious with lock on too though. The games auto lock on makes up for the lack.

For me is is a big deal though. As you said yourself, personal preference.  I always like to have manual lock-on as it becomes way easier to focus on one enemy. Also, manual lock-on adds the ability to add directional inputs to attacks and combos. 

Style meter fills up too easy- Once again- big deal. The style meter is a pretty aesthetic, shallow way to think of the game.

Maybe so, but it's the satisfaction element that I'm concerned about. In the old games it actually felt really satisfying and challenging to get an SSS combo. Here....not so much. 

Way too easy in general- Disagree. Playing Nephilim was mostly on par with my experience playing the original devil may cry straight before it. If anything it's slightly harder. The only thing more difficult in OG DMC is probably nightmare 3 and the space harrier stage.

Can't really argue with this one. Difficulty is a subjective matter. 

3 "styles" vs 5- Of the 5 styles in DMC4 (Gunslinger, Trickster, Swordmaster, Royal Guard, Dark Slayer) Two have had their moves integrated entirely within the game (sword master, gunslinger) And the rest are mostly gimmicks. Trickster is missing, yea but royal guard was basically just a parry and dark slayer a weapon specific style to replicate vergil. Big deal.

But, it still gave you more options then this game. Options allow for more variety in combos. 

This is such a binary way to look at the difference in game mechanics I hate talking about it. It's basically a variation of It's Different, So It Sucks. Just because DmC hasn't cloned DMC4's needlessly convoluted and poorly thought out style system it's presumed to be inferior. If you could honestly effective switch styles and combo in DMC4 consider me impressed.

Well, it did take a hardcore dedicated player to do that, but I feel that's the thing. You could play it on a more casual level, and you could get really in depth and hardcore if you wanted. In DmC, they kinda removed the hardcore element. 

The last point is just plain BS spread by fanboys. this game feels like DMC.

Then why does it control so similarly to Heavenly Sword at some levels? Makes some sort of sense considering it was made by the same people, but the point is it still doesn't feel like a Devil May Cry game, in my opinion. 

It kinda comes down to the Sonic 4 argument, IMO. It's trying to be something but in reality it's nothing like that (for the record, I think episode 1 of Sonic 4 is meh and episode 2 is decent). 

So I decided to buy a few games and rent one(Guess which) so I can better clarify why this game is just off on so many levels. Mind you, it's not bad. Just off. The games I bought and rented are Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry HD collection, Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta(Because I would rather buy something that I would thoroughly enjoy), and DmC. I just finished Heavenly Sword again so I'll start reviewing that one. I am playing DmC as well while playing the other games. Still don't like it.

First things first:

"Why are you reviewing Heavenly Sword?"

The combat system was inspired by this game and when I read shit like," The Heavenly Sword combat system had potential," I don't want to go back in my memory and recall just what was so great about it. So here we go.

Now for my convenience, I'll outline with three different categories: Story, gameplay, and enviroment. Why environment? You'll see why. Anyways...

Story

Don't worry. I won't tell you the entire story of this game or any of the other games. Just will frame it up for you and stuff. So Heavenly Sword begins with Nariko, the main heroine, going to town on a bunch of soldiers and shit. Well...ok. The game just drops you a few days after some event that you are currently unaware of and introduces a few elements of the game, but it is obvious that you are supposed to be on attack mode. After some time, Nariko falls to the ground because the Heavenly Sword now wants to take her life. Couldn't wait until after the battle huh? Of course, Nariko says something along the lines of your life flashing before your eyes when you die which of course means that you get to the real start of the game. Nariko and her tribe of ridiculously Asian looking white people are on the run from some empire. Her ridiculously Asian looking daddy decides to stop at some derelict fort and funnel the massive army into a trap. Nariko thinks that is a stupid idea and daddy pulls a "shut up woman and make me sammiches," on her but instead of sandwiches, Nariko starts handing copious amounts of ass whooping. They of course fend off the army and after some shenanigans with Kai, Naiko's surrogate little sister I presume, they decided to rest at the fort they just defended. The overall tone of this game seems to be anti-misogynist. I mean apparently Nariko is hated by her tribe because she didn't have an overdeveloped clitoris(feminists will get this joke) when she was born because apparently whomever was supposed to wield the Heavenly Sword had to have a penis. Her tribe resents Nariko and blames her for their bad luck because she did not live up to some prophecy. Her father entrusted her with the Heavenly Sword anyways, but specifically told her not to use it. Anyways, after some shoot down the army gameplay with a medieval wooden cannon, Nariko has to go and take the Heavenly Sword away from King Bodan, who wants the thing for some reason.  She of course gets surrounded so she decided to fight off her attackers. Bodan, played by Andy Serkis of Lord of the Rings fame, is a little fed up with this bullshit and decides to show that he captured her father, daddy get back in the kitchen. Nariko, feeling helpless by Bodan and being resented by her clan, decides to unwrap the Heavenly Sword and use it.

Nariko is a good character. Make no mistake about it. In an industry where female characters are portrayed rather negatively or poorly, she would have been a breath of fresh air to the industry if her game was no so mediocre. She is a big beautiful woman. She isn't a massive Amazon woman, but the way she carries herself just screams "I have a Vagina and hear it roar!" There is nothing meek about her. She constantly looks pissed off and there is never an instance in the game where she seems demure or weak. She is extremely serious. You'll be hard pressed to see her smile. Although, I find it annoying that she lacks an inner voice. She always seems to be yelling all the time. But that's just me. She also isn't portrayed sexually at any point of the game although there is a fight in a pool of water with another fish like mermaid woman thing...who is clearly naked, but whatever. The limits of technology doesn't turn the battle into Baywatch.

Kai as stated earlier is her surrogate sister that the clan adopted at one point prior to the game. This is where the sexism kind of comes through. Kai supposedly brings out Nariko's maternal instinct and such or Big sister instinct or whatever. I'd like to point out that the other men of the clan don't feel any attachment to Kai. It almost seems like it is Nariko's responsibility to take care of the one child in the clan. Regardless, Kai is a quirky character who seems off. Later it is revealed that she is suffering from PTSD and thus reverted back to her childish antics to quell with the loss of her parents by the hands of one of Bodan's lieutenants, Flying Fox. She serves as Nariko's Robin.

Bodan is an asshole. Of course, being the game's villain, it is to be expected. He is a womanizing King who collects trinkets and rare items and shit. He has a son named Roach who is grotesque and physically looks like a human personification of the insect that he is named after. Bodan and his minions treat Roach like the retarded kid that parents think kids treat retarded kids like. Bodan also has a weird obsession with his penis...well weird for a man(Let's face it, we are all attached to our penises). He keeps alluding to crotch or his sperm and what not. At one point, he wants Nariko's jaw after beheading her to be around his cock. Very unnecessary imagery, Ninja Theory.

Is the story good? Yeah...sort of. I mean it is pretty much a generic epic tale that is completely forgettable if not a bit cliche. Though there is no such thing as originality, none of these characters stand out too much except for maybe Bodan and maybe Nariko.

Gameplay

So let's start with the combat gameplay.

First off, there is no lock on. Instead, as most hack and slash games do, the camera pans out and allows the player to see all if not most of the enemies on the screen. You don't have to worry about not hitting anything because Nariko's techniques are hardly focused on one target.

Before you get the Heavenly Sword, you only have one "stance" which is called speed. In this stance Nariko wields two blades(later it is the Heavenly Sword broken apart). This stance is exactly what it says on the tin. You don't need to hold down any buttons to make it work. It just does. This will be your bread and butter for everything. There are two button inputs for attack, one specific one also counters(I'll get to this later). Hold down the left bumper, and you get range stance. Range Stance turns the Heavenly Sword into the Blades of Kratos. This is the most useless function in the game. You will hardly get in range mode unless assholes are shooting arrows at you. It really doesn't attack anyone and is only function is that it makes for good crowd control which is unnecessary because the AI is never overbearing.The only thing that it is good for is "launching" enemies(I'll get into this later as well). Right button trigger is power stance. If you want to wreck some shit really quickly, it is power stance. Power Stance is just one big fuck off sword. It does the most damage, but is the slowest to attack. 

How to counter in this game is simple. Enemies attack with three different colors: Red, Yellow, Blue(Sound familiar?). You can't block a red attack. Forget that shit. You'll get wrecked. Yellow is blocked with a power stance counter while blue is speed stance counter. Another thing is how you block attacks without countering...you don't press anything unless prompted. If an enemy attacks you with a blue attack...just don't press anything. You'll block the attack. If they attack with yellow, just hold the power button trigger and you'll be fine. You just stay out the way when it is red. It is extremely formulaic. And it is easy to guess which attack is which because most enemies(including bosses) only have two or three combos and countering. Of course, they are operating under the same rules as you so you have to mix it up a bit less your ass gets tossed up a few times. If you simply pay attention to the rock, paper, scissors gameplay, countering can be your bread and butter in this game. Hell, it was mine.

Then you have the general offensive capabilities of Nariko. She is rather generic. Of course, the game has rather streamlined switching between stances, it does not contribute to anything since the AI blocks all moves that are guard breaking moves. I don't know who designed this fucking game, but apparently hitting enemies is hard because they usually block your attacks. Apparently, there are certain combos that are more effective at breaking guard, but in spite of the on the fly switching, it limits creativity to memorizing certain attacks or waiting for the opponent to attack so you can abuse the really simple counter system. The launching seems bounded by the logic as well because after launching one singular enemy, you have to input a specific command for anything to happen. Thus you must memorize specific Triangle Square combinations. It is truly an inhibited system and I fail to see any potential it may have so called had. This system seems tailor made for button mashing.

There are also super moves that make Nero's Devil Trigger look interactive. It is pretty much a glorified mini cutscene of you destroying one enemy. You earn these moves with some meter, but they are limited and do not engage the player anymore than the general combat.

Oh and this game is QTE-tastic.

Environment

Due to the time period, this game does not hold up graphically, but I'm not talking about that. I am talking about the scenery of the game and what not. It looks like a Japanese Eastern design meets Western Gothic style. It truly is a depiction of anachronistic beauty as you see Japanese Lily Ponds or those Japanese pink trees next to stone castles and shit. This entire game is like some design student orgasm. Lots of vibrant colors and pretty stuff. Like, I really appreciate the environment of the game.

Final result: Meh.

Next is DMC3 and 4. This will be fun.

I don't think anyone was really arguing that it's not different, it most certainly is. The argument is just that the game isn't bad, it's not the festering pile of shit that people who haven't even played it are claiming it is. In fact, it's good.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think anyone was really arguing that it's not different, it most certainly is. The argument is just that the game isn't bad, it's not the festering pile of shit that people who haven't even played it are claiming it is. In fact, it's good.

This sums it up for me quite clearly. 

Gameplay wise is it a tier below DMC3? Yes, but its still a good entry in the action game franchise . Bayonetta is still on top right now though...don't see anything dethroning that....well...maybe its sequel and  Metal Gear Rising.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't get over the people who dislike this game calling it a festering pile of shit, when it's getting good ratings from casual players who have played the game, it looks pretty damn fun too and I can't wait to get it. Fair enough you don't like it, but calling it worse than dirt because you don't like it, doesn't make the game shit, It's hella fun, you ought to actually respect our decision to like it, as we respect your incessant bitching and ripping into the game when you refuse to play it and are judging from watching play throughs online.

Also this "Donte" bullshit is childish, It's Dante whether you like it or not, and if there will be another game in the series, he'll be the design choice they go with again, because hey it's a reboot.

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter
  • Thumbs Up 3

Everyone in this topic (on both sides) had been discussing this game fine for the most part, people who are getting worked up are being a bit too defensive. Trying to deafen the criticism is only going to make things worse.

• Thumbs Up 7

as we respect your incessant bitching

um.

More seriously:

I honestly can't get over the people who dislike this game calling it a festering pile of shit, when it's getting good ratings from casual players who have played the game, it looks pretty damn fun too and I can't wait to get it. Fair enough you don't like it, but calling it worse than dirt because you don't like it, doesn't make the game shit, It's hella fun, you ought to actually respect our decision to like it, as we respect your incessant bitching and ripping into the game when you refuse to play it and are judging from watching play throughs online.

A few things:

1. I know enough about gaming reception to tell you that "good ratings from casual players" are mostly meaningless, as every game under the sun can get a good rating from people who don't know the ins and outs of things. There are casual players singing the praises of both Halo and Shadow the Hedgehog, and I can tell you there's a world of difference in the quality between them.

2. We are dealing with a game that has caused (for one reason or another) a massive schism between (most of) the established fanbase and the new fanbase that appears to be taking its place and the reviewers that side with Ninja Theory. This is perhaps one of the most prominent cases where reviews aren't gonna help the game at all.

3. At what point are the more dismissive group allowed to have a legitimate opinion on the game? They've played a demo meant to showcase the game's better features to the public, they've seen the entire game played out before them, and they've seen the best and worst players exhibit the game's combat through multiple videos. Is the act of holding a controller in my hand going to radically alter my opinions on all of these factors? At what point am I allowed to trust my eyes and the testimony of others?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 2

But when we lay down OUR opinion on the game, you counter-attack it and disagree as if it's fact rather than opinion, fair enough you don't like it, doesn't make it a shit game now does it? It's a shit game in your eyes because you don't like the direction the series has taken, but that's purely from a cosmetic viewpoint and not from a factual viewpoint, the game is Solid, prevents a challenge and looks damn good doing it, DmC4 bored me to tears, but this? I keep coming back for more, because it pulls me in with it's art direction and the way the game pans out with the world of Limbo, i also admit that Dante's childishness and asshole attitude is a guilty pleasure that makes me want the game more, it's not because i'm "an edgy teen" But I can appreciate the crude humour and approach the writing of the game deals with, yes it's not perfect, and the game has a ton of problems, but I feel the good out weighs the bad.

2. We are dealing with a game that has caused (for one reason or another) a massive schism between (most of) the established fanbase and the new fanbase that appears to be taking its place and the reviewers that side with Ninja Theory. This is perhaps one of the most prominent cases where reviews aren't gonna help the game at all.

So someone tell me how this isn't a Classic Sonic vs Modern Sonic deal then? Sure sounds like it to me if it's bad enough to split the DmC fan base down the middle and cause the other side to send death threats, and troll the shit out of review sites like metacritic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see anyone in this topic attacking anyone who likes this game. If you do then report the posts, because we don't like it when people have fistfights over opinions either.

If you want both sides to get along then the key is for everyone to stop getting so damn defensive over this game.

• Thumbs Up 8

Speaking of the stupidity of this game, I did find myself laughing in Mission 16. Kat warns him that the last 5 floors of the tower are hell, and those 5 floors are just a ride up an elevator with crappy elevator music. Dante's response? "She was right, this is hell."

• Thumbs Up 9

Speaking of the stupidity of this game, I did find myself laughing in Mission 16. Kat warns him that the last 5 floors of the tower are hell, and those 5 floors are just a ride up an elevator with crappy elevator music. Dante's response? "She was right, this is hell."

Edited by Eternal Xtreme

So someone tell me how this isn't a Classic Sonic vs Modern Sonic deal then? Sure sounds like it to me if it's bad enough to split the DmC fan base down the middle and cause the other side to send death threats, and troll the shit out of review sites like metacritic.

Death threats are never okay, even if the guy they're directed at seems like kind of an asshole.

But this is different in my eyes, for a lot of reasons. Sonic's redesign was really warranted because it happened during the leap to a new generation, and a new dimension. Sonic was changed into a character with more exaggerated proportions, in-part, to make his animations and movements more easy to understand when viewed from behind.

It's pretty clear why discussion over DMC's change in direction is so emotionally charged when the game's designer explains shit like how the old games aren't cool anymore, or how he doesn't care about the fan reaction OR how much it sells. It follows an ugly trend of widely loved series being westernized, and people are free to feel alienated by this. Honestly, whether or not it's a reboot is irrelevant, especially when there are fears of this replacing the original line of games.

Nobody here is being personally attacked. If you don't agree with the criticism of the game, feel free to disregard it as something that simply doesn't bother you. Just don't downplay it or treat it like it's something completely unfounded.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure how others are "presenting their opinion as fact" and you somehow aren't when you say things like this.

you don't like the direction the series has taken, but that's purely from a cosmetic viewpoint and not from a factual viewpoint, the game is Solid, prevents a challenge and looks damn good doing it

Not that I do think you're presenting anything as fact. This quote just comes off as being dismissive of the other side.

This whole debate is pretty ugly even without the personal insults. I was gonna start playing the DMC collection soon but I almost don't want to because I might get invested in this. :V

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bwahah that part was pretty funny.

This whole debate is pretty ugly even without the personal insults. I was gonna start playing the DMC collection soon but I almost don't want to because I might get invested in this. :V

So basically you've never played any of the games this is even about but you're still bandwagoning on the hate train with everyone else.

Awesome. I thought there were people like this but I never had any proof till now. You're attached to a character you've never even played as.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whoa what? I've seen Solly's posts and he's indicated before that he doesn't feel strongly about the DMC series due to not having played them before; most of the things he has said in this topic were to do with understanding where detractors are coming from and pointing out that a lot of people who deride their complaints as "baww fanboys" are being unreasonable, which I think is a safe assumption to make even if you're not directly involved in it.

His last statement just kind of seemed to me like a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that this whole debacle might not be something he'd want to get worked up over.

Sorry if I'm reading the whole thing wrong, it's just that I never got the "bandwagon hater" impression from his posts. As far as I'm aware he hasn't even directly criticized the game in this topic.

• Thumbs Up 3

So basically you've never played any of the games this is even about but you're still bandwagoning on the hate train with everyone else.

Awesome. I thought there were people like this but I never had any proof till now. You're attached to a character you've never even played as.

What are you talking about?tongue.png Sonic youtube haters are prime examples of these people. XD or were you referring just to the DmC haters?

I was also going to say more, but Sean here took the words out of my mouth.:/

Edited by Riku

Edit: Also, I'm not sure how others are "presenting their opinion as fact" and you somehow aren't when you say things like this.

Not that I do think you're presenting anything as fact. This quote just comes off as being dismissive of the other side.

Because it is fact? The gameplay IS Solid, it may not be like classic DmC but the gameplay certainly isn't broken and unfair, you get punished for button mashing so there is a degree of depth to battle strategy on different enemies you face.

Difficulty and challenge is very different depending on the gamer who is taking the game, I consider myself a casual gamer in this Genre so i legitimately found it challenging and couldn't hack it on the hardest setting until i did a lot more training, the game isn't piss easy throughout.

Looking good? Have you seen what the art direction is like in this game? It is PHENOMENAL, Limbo is a work of art.

Funny you say there is no one here that is criticizing the game fairly, when there are people who are calling it the worst game ever, unplayable and shit not worth shelling out for, the bottom line is the game is playable, and it may be getting mixed responses as a DmC game, but as it's own thing it is a solid game, and it certainly is worth the money I'll be spending on it, it's not the worst game ever, thats a matter of opinion, and I don't think that is justified criticism, i call that mindless hate for the sake of wanting to piss in someone's cornflakes, it's a bitter response to provoke someone into acknowledging their hate for the direction DmC has taken.

This thread is prime example of a split fan base right now, it's pretty depressing it got to this stage actually.

• Thumbs Up 5

Whoa what? I've seen Solly's posts and he's indicated before that he doesn't feel strongly about the DMC series due to not having played them before; most of the things he has said in this topic were to do with understanding where detractors are coming from and pointing out that a lot of people who deride their complaints as "baww fanboys" are being unreasonable, which I think is a safe assumption to make even if you're not directly involved in it.

And the fanboy complainers on the other side aren't being unreasonable? There's are people judging a game entirely based on A.) it's marketing and B.) some old shit the director said instead of the game itself.

They're all sticking to some kind of crusade based on an old cheesy lead and a convoluted style system. When people start asking for things like the old, awful music back (apart from boss themes I guess) or alleging that because it's easy to get SSS the game sucks... without playing it... that's unreasonable.

Being reasonable would be playing the game, either via rental or whatever before proceeding to shit up every single thread on the internet about it.

Being unreasonable is being offended by the the wig joke. Being unreasonable is constantly mentioning the sniper rifle abortion scene, whilst ignoring the rest of the game's plot. Being unreasonable is thinking this game is insulting, despite the fact that Ninja Theroy have clearly put their heart and soul into this thing. Unreasonable is the hate against new dante, who is amazingly probably a more well rounded character than the one note original. 

Being unreasonable is caring about lock on. Seriously? S e r i o u s l y ? 

What's even more despicable in amongst all this shallow, conceited, me too torch and pitchfork internet rioting about every single piece of this game, aesthetic or otherwise the haters have the gall to imply that the people that actually like the game are being unreasonable by telling them to wake up and smell the fucking roses. This game is not the travesty it's made about to be. It's a great fucking action game that stands with the best. Especially when compared to filth like God of War, or Dante's Inferno.

You know what the funniest part is? Everyone seems to have forgotten that DMC as a series, pre reboot was fucking dead. Don't you think it's odd that they introduced new lead character Nero in DMC4? But then copped out, shoehorned dante in, and never made another game with nero again? Why do you think there are so many loose ends in DMC4's story? Could it be perhaps it was planned to be a series, but was canned when it didn't meet expectations? Or perhaps no one at capcom wanted to go near it? 

Everyone keeps talking about this hypothetical DMC5 like it ever existed- here's news. It didn't. and it probably never will exist either. And tyo be quite honest, when my two choices are no DMC at all or a new, different series, I'll take a new game every time. I love action games, and I'm not going to let something petty like change of aesthetic or gameplay system get in the way of me being able to play another fucking awesome game.

It's not bayonetta, but it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be. Long live DmC

What are you talking about?tongue.png Sonic youtube haters are prime examples of these people. XD or were you referring just to the DmC haters?

I was also going to say more, but Sean here took the words out of my mouth.:/

I'm talking about DMC specifically. I've always thought Stylish Action games were a pretty niche genre, being a fan since forever, so it's surprising to see this massive influx of whiners. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Being unreasonable is winning over your opponents by telling them they suck. :U

Can we maybe not strawman all the dissenters of this game into whiny, obsessed, entitled twits?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 6

I just don't agree with your assessment of Solly, that's what I was getting at. You want to criticize the detractors for being unreasonable? Do so, and it's not like I disagree with you, because yes there are tons of obnoxious DMC fanboys who will shit on this game no matter how good it's built. But Solly isn't part of that group you're lambasting and frankly it's completely unfair to him.

• Thumbs Up 9

This game obviously isn't the worst thing to hit the earth. But it's also not the best game of the year. It's mediocre. The story IMO is decent to under average, the gameplay is fun but not amazing, the graphics are nice for a modern game but I'm personally not a fan of the art direction or new Dante. This is all just my opinion. Hopefully I don't get thrown under a bridge for saying this!:0

And the fanboy complainers on the other side aren't being unreasonable? There's are people judging a game entirely based on A.) it's marketing and B.) some old shit the director said instead of the game itself.

Some, like turbojet, have played the game. Or at the very least rented it. Just want to throw that out there.

Although, that still doesn't excuse others from not playing the game before criticizing it. Remember my saying? "If you don't know everything about something, don't act like you do and argue with someone who knows it better?" I may not be fond of DmC, but those who have played it seem to know it a lot better than those who don't.

Being unreasonable is caring about lock on. Seriously? S e r i o u s l y ? 

I will at the very least come to the defense of this in that from my experience with the Metal Gear Rising demo, the very game that no doubt everyone else against DmC would prefer to play instead, is that it has no lock on. I even questioned Carbo on that particular point, and while this may change in the future for MGR, if it doesn't it would be EXTREMELY hypocritical for any DmC detractors to praise it despite also lacking lock on.

Even more, it's extremely easy to kill the most basic foes if you're just using blademode. Only the more armored foes and bosses can soak more damage.

You know what the funniest part is? Everyone seems to have forgotten that DMC as a series, pre reboot was fucking dead. Don't you think it's odd that they introduced new lead character Nero in DMC4? But then copped out, shoehorned dante in, and never made another game with nero again? Why do you think there are so many loose ends in DMC4's story? Could it be perhaps it was planned to be a series, but was canned when it didn't meet expectations? Or perhaps no one at capcom wanted to go near it? 

Or perhaps Capcom is just being a jerk. I mean, we are talking about the company that's being a dick to Megaman fans. Wouldn't really find it to unreasonable that they're experimenting and not giving a rat's ass about the criticism.

Also...

Everyone keeps talking about this hypothetical DMC5 like it ever existed- here's news. It didn't. and it probably never will exist either. And tyo be quite honest, when my two choices are no DMC at all or a new, different series, I'll take a new game every time. I love action games, and I'm not going to let something petty like change of aesthetic or gameplay system get in the way of me being able to play another fucking awesome game.

I posted something long ago in this topic about Capcom and Ninja Theory regarding the original concept of the game, how Ninja Theory first intended it to be closer to the original titles before Capcom told them to make something completely different, saying that they could do a DMC5 by themselves.

So it's not completely unfounded for them to talk about this hypothetical DMC5. The real question is whether or not they'll actually make it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Part of me feels that a good few of us need to take a step back and cool down for a second. Honestly it just feels that this thread has develoved because of people being a little too closed minded with regards to the opinions of others. With a game like this, one that was pretty much designed to be controversial there's going to be contrast in opinions all over the place. I personally didn't enjoy this as much as DMC4 for a number of reasons, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying this game.

Take a break, go back to playing the game some more if you have a copy and are enjoying it. If not, put the game down and move onto something else. Just remember that when it comes down to it, your view on the game should be the most important to you.

• Thumbs Up 1