Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ya know, it's ironic how you guys say the comics aren't the games, despite the comics incorporating more game elements.

Still doesn't make them the games.

In any case, I don't hate the comic, but I don't really think it's as amazing as everyone thinks it is; If I had to lay out my problems simply:

The overall atmosphere tends be pretty pretentious most of the time, it's gotten better since Flynn came on, but then you have things like "Journey to the East" which.....yeah.

Yeah..and? I don't get what you're trying to imply with JthE, does it have something to do with the message it was trying to convey (or was it the Love Triangle? Which isn't pretentious, more like unneeded drama)

The non-Sega cast bore me to tears, like I'm not even joking, this isn't even elitism on my part because I have my problems with them to, but god do I find them boring. I know they try to make us care by putting them into dangerous situations, but here's the thing, their personalities are so underdeveloped, and lack any interesting traits that would make me care about them. I mean, does anyone care about the likes of the Wolf Tribe or Albion? I sure as hell don't.

I thought people wanted game character focus? Because like I said, if the Archie character get more and more focus, people will start saying how they want more Sonic focus or whatever. And I don't think anyone cares about Wolf Tribe (or at least I don't), but Albion we have almost never seen any of, at least not under Ian's pen. So it is hard for me to care for a place we've barely seen.

Even the Freedom Fighters bore me to tears nowadays, everyone is just BORING, except Geoffrey and Naugus, they're cool.

Really? I actually do care about Antione coma situation, Bunnie's feeling of being powerless, and Rotor regaining relevance again on the battle field. Actually Rotor is the only FF who is still active nowadays, so again, I don't really get your reasoning

As for the game characters, most of them just don't get much screentime; Tails & Amy are primarily sidekicks for Sonic, and haven't had much chances to be much else,

Aside from getting tons of screen time and having entire Sonic Universe Arcs dedicated to them personally.

the Chaotix are basically sidekicks for Knuckles(although this seems to finally be rectified by actually having them separate from Knuckles for a change),

This was actually a problem I had that I'm glad they're rectifying.

and every other game cast member are basically irrelevant for the most part, except ironically Silver despite his lack of presence in the mainstream games.

The rest (to my knowledge) being Team Dark, who have been mentioned and seen in action (well just Omega) in the Eggman Arc.

Edited by Soniman

Ya know, it's ironic how you guys say the comics aren't the games, despite the comics incorporating more game elements.

Oh and I'm happy for that! the comic was soo disconnected from its roots for awhile now and I'm glad Flynn is remembering that this isn't an original character furry drama but a comic book based on video game characters. it has allot of material to use.

Can you go into detail more about the pretentious thing?

As for your character assessment. its hard trying to bond with an estlibashed character in a long running comic like this, especially if your just trying to jump in for the first time. They are trying a bit harder to give us backstory that we have either never known or has long since forgotten, the encyclopedia is one of those examples. All I can say to you Shadic93 is be patient and maybe hopefully 1 of the characters will catch your eye and make things not soo boring (Try Shard, the original metal sonic, snarky bastard seems to get all the fanlove now a days).

And as for SEGA characters, they can't get any sort of real developement thanks to SEGA's recent lockdown and mandate on the comic. they are tightening the strings since this comic went hog wild in its past. blame SEGA for that...

Still doesn't make them the games.

You'd think they'd try more to differentiate them rather than trying coincide them, just saying.

Yeah..and? I don't get what you're trying to imply with JthE, does it have something to do with the message it was trying to convey (or was it the Love Triangle? Which isn't pretentious, more like unneeded drama)

That's exactly what I'm talking about, shit like that shouldn't be encompassing stories like that, it drags the narrative down, and I don't need to see it in a Sonic comic.

I thought people wanted game character focus? Because like I said, if the Archie character get more and more focus, people will start saying how they want more Sonic focus or whatever. And I don't think anyone cares about Wolf Tribe (or at least I don't), but Albion we have almost never seen any of, at least not under Ian's pen. So it is hard for me to care for a place we've barely seen.

I mainly just want them to be properly developed, and give me a reason to care about them rather than just sticking them in dangerous situations and expecting me to give a shit, and I don't think it's impossible to balance the Archie and Sega cast, it's just a current flaw this book has.

Really? I actually do care about Antione coma situation, Bunnie's feeling of being powerless, and Rotor regaining relevance again on the battle field. Actually Rotor is the only FF who is still active nowadays, so again, I don't really get your reasoning

It's more because their personalities are so diluted, and have gotten significantly less screentime for me to really care; I mean take Bunnie for instance, for a while she was basically just someone who'd hit something hard, yet the moment she loses her robotic limbs she suddenly reveals she feels weak and useless despite displaying no such feelings before. It's like if Sonic randomly had a breakdown because of some hidden phobia never before seen.

Aside from getting tons of screen time and having entire Sonic Universe Arcs dedicated to them personally.

Which was two years ago, what have they done since then? I mean I kind of expect more from main cast members.

The rest (to my knowledge) being Team Dark, who have been mentioned and seen in action (well just Omega) in the Eggman Arc.

Only Omega is in the Eggman Arc, and he's not even the main focus of it, hell he's only in one issue. Neither Shadow nor Rouge even appear outside of the off-panel. I mean I know Shadow was meant to appear but Sega said no, but then it begs the question of wtf are they smoking.

Can you go into detail more about the pretentious thing?

How can I put it..I think the series tries too hard to be serious, with all of the "tragic backstories" and all. I gotta think about this more.

As for your character assessment. its hard trying to bond with an estlibashed character in a long running comic like this, especially if your just trying to jump in for the first time. They are trying a bit harder to give us backstory that we have either never known or has long since forgotten, the encyclopedia is one of those examples. All I can say to you Shadic93 is be patient and maybe hopefully 1 of the characters will catch your eye and make things not soo boring (Try Shard, the original metal sonic, snarky bastard seems to get all the fanlove now a days).

See if that's the case, I think they need to stop focusing on every other furry in this book, and focus primarily on the Freedom Fighters, and by Freedom Fighters I mean the ones beyond just Sonic & Sally. It's a shame too, because I do like Shard but I don't think we'l be seeing him for a while.

And as for SEGA characters, they can't get any sort of real developement thanks to SEGA's recent lockdown and mandate on the comic. they are tightening the strings since this comic went hog wild in its past. blame SEGA for that...

Makes me wonder why Sega even let them use them then, if you're not going to do anything interesting with them beyond what we're used to seeing in the games, what's the point.

Only responding to these two quotes specifically since I have nothing to add to the other responses or agree with them in the end.

It's more because their personalities are so diluted, and have gotten significantly less screentime for me to really care; I mean take Bunnie for instance, for a while she was basically just someone who'd hit something hard, yet the moment she loses her robotic limbs she suddenly reveals she feels weak and useless despite displaying no such feelings before. It's like if Sonic randomly had a breakdown because of some hidden phobia never before seen.

Uhhh not really. Bunnie didn't have a problem before because she was strong and confident and had the super robotic limbs to back it up. Up to loosing her limbs it was always second nature to use her powerful limbs to get shit done, but now she's lost a huge asset that she had always depended on and was a thing that was valuable to the Freedom Fighters. It's perfectly normal to feel the way she does (as in being weak and helpless) at that moment in time, hell she had just had the one she loved blown up and placed in a coma. Id say her downcast feelings are more than reasonable.

Which was two years ago, what have they done since then? I mean I kind of expect more from main cast members.

I don't really get what you want out of them at the current point in the story. The Freedom Fighters are kind of in a rut at this moment and Tails and Amy are the only active ones left to help Sonic fight Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uhhh not really. Bunnie didn't have a problem before because she was strong and confident and had the super robotic limbs to back it up. Up to loosing her limbs it was always second nature to use her powerful limbs to get shit done, but now she's lost a huge asset that she had always depended on and was a thing that was valuable to the Freedom Fighters. It's perfectly normal to feel the way she does (as in being weak and helpless) at that moment in time, hell she had just had the one she loved blown up and placed in a coma. Id say her downcast feelings are more than reasonable.

It's more about the pacing really, like we get that scene with Bunnie right after she returns to normal, like the story doesn't give the reader time to process this before it moves onto something else. Maybe if they waited an issue, showed what Bunnie's life would be like without her limbs, have Ant's sacrifice. and THEN show her breakdown, it would have been a lot more effective. That's just my take on it anyway. Plus the aforementioned personality diluting.

I don't really get what you want out of them at the current point in the story. The Freedom Fighters are kind of in a rut at this moment and Tails and Amy are the only active ones left to help Sonic fight Eggman.

I'm pretty sure they can offer more to the story beyond smashing robots dude, nobody is asking for them have subplots of their own, but actually utilizing their unique abilities in the story isn't too much to ask. In Tails Adventure we see Tails show some ingenuity in how to deal with a threat, in Treasure Team Tango, while it's just a glorified brawl, shows Amy knows how to take charge and use words to her advantage, yet the most they do as far as the main book goes is just smashing more robots.

It's more about the pacing really, like we get that scene with Bunnie right after she returns to normal, like the story doesn't give the reader time to process this before it moves onto something else. Maybe if they waited an issue, showed what Bunnie's life would be like without her limbs, have Ant's sacrifice. and THEN show her breakdown, it would have been a lot more effective. That's just my take on it anyway. Plus the aforementioned personality diluting.

Bunnie was having doubts at first, she wasn't really full on depressed about losing her limbs, at that point Antione convinced Bunnie that she can still be an asset to the the team and she believed him. It wasn't until Antione was thrusted into a coma that Bunnie went into her depression and feeling of being powerless, which made the first conversation she had with Antione all the more poignant.

I'm pretty sure they can offer more to the story beyond smashing robots dude, nobody is asking for them have subplots of their own, but actually utilizing their unique abilities in the story isn't too much to ask. In Tails Adventure we see Tails show some ingenuity in how to deal with a threat, in Treasure Team Tango, while it's just a glorified brawl, shows Amy knows how to take charge and use words to her advantage, yet the most they do as far as the main book goes is just smashing more robots.

Tails creation T-Pup (who originated from that Arc) is a representation of Tails' ingenuity and has helped the team on more than one occasion, most notably how he subdued Silver Sonic, something Sonic himself couldn't do with regular fisticuffs.

As for Amy, well it was her (along with Tails) who convinced Sonic to get out of his funk, outside of that there hasn't really been a need for her to use words because (as you said) all they've been doing is go up against Eggman's soulless robots. Although she did manage to give a convincing counterpoint to Mecha Sally about how she's petty and only thinks about being with Sonic when that isn't the case.

Edited by Soniman

Because they're not the games. And even when they incorporate more game elements, that still doesn't make them like the games. Yeah, they incorporate more game elements, but they also incorporate more original elements separate from the games.

It's kinda why they're their own separate universe. I'd like to keep it that way. In fact, I see no problem with having both of them use elements from each other in a sort of trade off, but with in reason. Say the comics can use the Egg Fleet and Egg Pawns from Heroes, the games can use the Enerjak concept and apply that to Knuckles' being; the comics can use adaptations from the games, and the games can give Eggman a few followers of his own that are living people along side his mechanical forces.

Then there are things I'd rather keep away from the games, like the Archie characters making appearances in a canon game title, the echidna society of mary sues (I still advocate we use the Nocturnus, but meh), love triangles, and Sonic generally being based in one location that the comics focus on instead of the world at large like the games do.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Bunnie was having doubts at first, she wasn't really full on depressed about losing her limbs, at that point Antione convinced Bunnie that she can still be an assets to the the team and she believed him. It wasn't until Antione was thrusted into a coma that Bunnie went into her depression and feeling of bieing powerless, which made the first conversation she had with Antione all the more poignant,

Eh, guess you can just chalk it up to me not really caring about her character, mostly because it's been kind non-existent for the past few yeas.

Tails creation T-Pup (who originated from that Arc) is a representation of Tails' ingenuity and has helped the team on more than one occasion, most notably how he subdued Silver Sonic, something Sonic himself couldn't do with regular fisticuffs.

As for Amy, well it was her (along with Tails) who convinced Sonic to get out of his funk, outside of that there hasn't really been a need for her to use words because (as you said) all they've been doing is go up against Eggman's soulless robots. Although she did manage to give a convincing counterpoint to Mecha Sally about how she's petty and only thinks about being with Sonic when that isn't the case.

I was speaking mainly in general, rather than this specific story arc.

Eh, guess you can just chalk it up to me not really caring about her character, mostly because it's been kind non-existent for the past few yeas.

Yeah, kinda hard to juggle a cast with the number of major and minor characters when it's focusing on a specific arc. It's kinda like Justice League Unlimited with the number of superheroes it had under it's belt, and so it switches characters out to allow them to gain so spotlight every once in a while.

In fact, I think JLU is a good example when it comes to looking at a large cast of characters. JL originally started with just seven members, but come around Unlimited, that expanded to the double (if not triple) digits. Archue Sonic started off with a few characters in its ensemble before expanding to how it is now.

Also:

Maybe I'm misreading you guys, but I seriously don't think you guys are giving Amy enough credit in the comics considering that she is exactly as we would want her to be in the games. Sure, she has a crush on Sonic, but she isn't such a fangirl over him to the point that she keeps stalking him (granted she's in the same city as them) and she actually contributes when necessary.

Bitch took on the fucking Iron King during the Iron Dominion arc when not even Sonic could scratch him. Was part of the resistence inside the city when the Iron Queen took over Nicole. And now is a part of Team Freedom keeping pressure on the Death Egg Mk. II.

You actually did misread me CCS, I was actually in defense of Amy. I find her a much better and strong willed character than she currently is in the games, and I appreciate the current writing staff for doing so.

I know you were in defense of her, I just thought you were kinda shorting what she's done.

You actually did misread me CCS, I was actually in defense of Amy. I find her a much better and strong willed character than she currently is in the games, and I appreciate the current writing staff for doing so.

That panel in your sig is glorious.

Loved the one where they're staring at the water.

I found this at a Food Basics in Canada. Does anyone here know exactly what it is?

EDIT: Should've looked it up before posting - this doesn't look like anything special... Nice cover art, though!

Edited by XD375

I generally scoff at the disdain people have for Sega mandates, doesn't necessarily mean I always agree( I don't even know what they are, and a lot of hearsay about them seems to be bogus) but they do it because they actually care about their property.

Now can someone show me this redesign of Sally I keep hearing about?

Edited by Mysterics

well here's more to wet your appite :

Are these Bunnie's Parents?

bunnie_rabbot_s_parents__from_the_sonic_encylopedi_by_bvw1979-d5koek3.jpg

mobius_years_later_3_3_pages_from_the_encylopedia_by_bvw1979-d5koggu.jpg

mobius_years_later_2_3_pages_from_the_encylopedia_by_bvw1979-d5kog8n.jpg

mobius_years_later_1_3_pages_from_the_encylopedia_by_bvw1979-d5kofv3.jpg

shade_and_the_brotherhood_are_given_a_new_name_by_bvw1979-d5kofdf.jpg

the_time_stones_from_satam_sonic_cd_get_mentioned_by_bvw1979-d5koeyy.jpg

Read this and tell me Sally won't be her old self, because he was afterwards

read_this__from_the_sonic_ecylopedia__by_bvw1979-d5kodnq.jpg

the_sonic_comic_encyclopedia_by_bvw1979-d5koh6e.jpg

Read what? Your photography needs work.

Also, Sally sticks out like a sore thumb in that cover.

Edited by Toby Barrett
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic remained himself because he wasn't grotesquely modified while he was roboticized. Ever I don't think. Sally was, so this is just a convenient way for the Archie staff to pretty much make her conform more to the Sega Sonic style rather than use some strange story that makes no sense to explain a sudden change. Eco Sonic and the Segateers.

I'll have to remind myself to pick up that encyclopedia of knowledge the next time I go to the store. Those pics do look interesting for lack of a better word!

I take it they're gonna make use of the Nocturnus in the future?

Has Ian been reading my posts supporting the Nocturnus or what? Or did he even write the encyclopedia?

You know, I would like a Sonic Universe Arc that focuses on the adaptation on 06 that technically did happen, but since it made itself not exist, Ian didn't have to waste time covering it.

You know, I would like a Sonic Universe Arc that focuses on the adaptation on 06 that technically did happen, but since it made itself not exist, Ian didn't have to waste time covering it.

That really shoots itself in the foot when 06 was based on the Solaris threat and involved Silver time traveling...well, then again, maybe not. I wouldn't expect it to be too hard to work in that kind of adaptation.

But call me reluctant to even touch that area again, even in the comics. I'm not opposed to seeing Soleanna and Elise in the comics, but I'd like their debut to be something to be completely different than what Sonic 06 shat out.

I take it they're gonna make use of the Nocturnus in the future?

Honestly...I don't know. They do have a lot of backstory for having not appeared yet, but apparently he would have introduced them into the Prime universe before now were it not for Sega rejecting it or something or other.