Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Woo, giving some impressions on the Sonic Comic Encyclopedia while we wait for SU#46 spoilers.

So the Ring of Acorn thing with Amy has been slightly retconned into having her absorb its energy and have wish-granting abilities including the ability to summon her magical Piko Piko hammer instead of just making her older. Neat.

Heh, Rotor's article got cut o--Wait, where'd that green jacket come from, he's never worn that has he?

Pffft, I love the numbering order on this Chaotix guide. It doesn't have any visual order and relegates Julie-Su to #6. Pfft.

Yeah, Vector was with a group of orphans. But he fell out, oh dear. Ten bucks on that being explored in the future.

"Vector was once the speediest of the group, his lithe body allowing him to weave about his enemies. He also had a reputation for not being able to take a hit." And this supposed to be about classic Vector? He wasn't even like that in the games!

Well duh Vector and Espio are right next to each other on a double spread. It'll make scanning them so much easier when they can be done in one.

Charmy doesn't even get his own page and is behind Mighty and Ray (who also have to share the page). And he's the one of the non-Echidna Chaotix who's always had a massive backstory!

I love how all these Acorns have titles. King George the Foolish sounds like something our history books here would use.

Yup, Isabella still looks like Mina too much.

Valdez's little snippet of info doesn't say that he died, only that he was defeated. Even though Hershey's says she's presumed K.I.A. Huh, strange.

Rosie's Orphans get an article? What? Why the fuck?

Chocola is in the Prime verse too. Didn't know that.

Wow, I'd forgotten how much better Locke's newer look was compared to his old one.

Overview of the Brotherhood, deep joys...at least Spectre's cybernetics are explained.

Remington's childhood explained. He's one of the few where it's actually important.

The fire ants might all be dead, whoops.

The Ancient Walkers look so daft with bodies. The Pterodactyl Mobosaur looks downright agitated!

Team Dark finally turn up on page 47 after nearly everyone else. I guess they are relatively new to the network of stories, but surely Cream is newer.

Gamma and Omega have one article to share, likely due to the new Omega being both.

There we go, Rotor in his recent glove and shoe garb. Not with the green jacket.

Silver doesn't get his own article until way later in the book? Ouch!

"Western Armadillo" Arlo and "Eastern Armadillo" Mighty? Wut. Also some ArloXPenelope.

Gandhara, Gandhara, they say it was in Ind...sorry, that's what Monkey Khan makes me think when I see him. The last sentence says that Sally seemed tempted by his romantic advances after gently spurning his initial offer, lol.

Little Jon O'Hedge is a Hedgehog/Echidna hybrid? He doesn't look like one at all, he just looks Echidna.

And there's BillXBarby.

Even Jack prefers not to get on Tex's bad side, that's why he openly mocks a much cuddlier crocodile in the ope--YOU FUCKING IDIOTIC RABBIT. I should be called the Reptiles are Abhorrent trope on the Sand Blasters' asses, but dame that art of Tex is mighty sweet. He didn't have irises or pupils in #217-218 so I think all the team art is new.

DULCY! EVENTUALLY! Remember when she used to be the only reptile in the comic. How times have changes. I think the article implies that she's busy exploring the world, which is why we've only seen her once on Ian's run.

Kinda weird to compare it to Espio, but kudos to the comic to remember that Ermine coats turn white in wintery conditions.

Pfffffft, Trey Scale's snippet of info in the Original Freedom Fighter article is massive compared to the others. And here's where Ian gives his own theory that the personal gain speech he gave in the original story was a cover-up for a last-minute stab against the Kingdom of Acorn for the Southern Baronies. And I thought I overanalysed this shit. I'd only agree with him because I was watching too much Wally Gator just before reading his theory so know how the Southern Baronies are being equated with the Confederates. :S

Wow, Mogul lost to a caveman named Mobie before he became a God. He's an old codge. Also; Oh my God, Gorillas with lasers.

Nerbs. What. This giant Bumbleking in-joke is going miles now. Apparently they prefer being ruled by Eggman than peace.

The scene of Maria's death is so ridiculous.

Wait, the current Titan Metal Sonic is in fact the Metal Sonic Kai that featured in Knuckles Chaotix (game and issue special)? I thought it was new!

I don't know why Mecha Knuckles is with the non-Sonic Metal series, he was never under Eggman's control.

I always thought E.V.E was one ugly thing, but this other drawing of her is actually kind of cute in a creepy way.

There's a big compiled group shot of the grandmasters and Sir Femhiss couldn't even be bothered to show up for it. He was apparently advisor to Rob O' the Hedge's father (how come Rob hasn't mentioned him before then?). He also has a hypnotic hood. Hypnotising snakes...that's Jungle Book, not Robin Hood! Get your Disney films right!

If the Dark Legion grandmasters (Echidna-era) had always been drawn like this, I'd like them a lot more. Moritori looks like he's wearing superhero garb!

So Enerjak was originally an Echidna, but when the Walkers ascended him he became corrupted and has to be scattered throughout the Chaos Force.

Why is every Echidna corrupted an ex-researcher bar Knuckles? Even Finitevus got in on this, and he's not an Enerjak!

So the Nocturnus and Dark Legion have met, but they were tolerated unless the DL tried to steal some teleportation doodads.

Since when was Harry Dingo a DEL member?

I've barely heard of anyone in this Mobius Underworld bar Nic (who still looks awful in hot pink BTW).

I still find the Fiona side switch BS given the issues before then, but whatever.

Nack's stock art is seen twice on one page.

*Every other bride has a generic ninja beside them*

*Constant Vigil has Espio*

No, not suspect at all. *coughyoursondidabadjobofhidingthelinkcough*

Yay, Uma and her kids get their own article! They deserve it.

Speedy is more honourable than his daddy? Never would have suspected it!

...He reminds me of Bowser Jr in the comics.

Yeah, I can predict the entire Endangered Species arc just from Thrash's article; they'll fight, but then Thrash will begrudgingly team up with Knuckles and Team Fighters once he realises how big a threat Eggman poses at that immediate time.

The Zone Cop article confirms a Znuckles. Also there's a picture from #197 of Zector and Zespio, and a pic from the No Zone arc of Warden Zobotnik. None of Zouge or the generic ones, specifically.

Silver's article points out that he uses the orange time stone. Will the other time stones become significant?

The First Appearance for the Jewelled Sceptre lists the encyclopedia under it's working title, the Sonic Who's Who Encyclopedia.

There's no Master Emerald equivalent in Moebius, it seems. Also, Atlatinopolis confirms that the Demon Island is as sunk as ever. Also the Orderix is confirmed as a thing.

Apparently Ix is busy researching the energies of the Twilight Cage to make himself more powerful. That's why the Nocturnus haven't made a move on Mobius yet.

Maginary World and Sonic Underground have their own articles. What the actual fuck. I know the latter is being revisited soon but still.

Black Arms are still linked with Shadow in the comics, but fuck knows if it'll be looked at any further.

The Dark Mobius article confirms that the post-ending of Jani-Ca's arc is going reasonably well, as she's still returning cores, although it does mention that she's still at risk of being corrupted.

Why did they have to mention Mello, his death is just...just.

This Chaos Emerald article is actually confusing. The seven servers are apparently the Super Emeralds and not the Chaos Emeralds, but she and Chaos were sealed in the Black Chaos Emerald which is also the Ancient Onyx which isn't a true Chaos Emerald.

Ugly Naugus is the official name for Naugus' super form? Really?

Nicholas O'Tyme...erm, that's a weird name.

The Source of All article has the edited Sally art from the Select reprint.

The Mobo-Cruiser. Didn't know it was a significant thing. Also note that this is on the back cover of the book. So the Chaotix get some pretty top billing even cover-wise.

There's a map on pages 138-139.

Flickies et al are classed as Mobinis, just like the devil dogs aka devolved Tasmanian Devils.

Oh God, all the humans look deformed on the United Federations article. It at least gets two pages of info though.

Big's character info is lumped in with the Mysterious Cat Country location article. Huh.

Yurashia is a silly name for Mobian Asia.

There's a huge section for reprints of the time line from various digest issues.

Pre-Robotnik Julian is even uglier than Robotnik himself.

Trey, don't stick out your tongue when posing for the camera!

Why does Robian Bernie have huge fish lips?

PERFECT CHAOS HERE IS UGLY AS SIN. Then again, there are theories that Archie Chaos is an Ixis masterwork or something.

Oh of course, it only follows that the negative of the green Chaos Knuckles would be turning purple before turning into the Finitevus we know and...know.

Earlier bits have new art, later bits reuse art from earlier issues.

The future! I don't care really!

Yep, Lara-Su was trained by all the Chaotix, pretty much. What gets me most is Espio teaching her Ninjitsu; her father is already supposed to be a martial artist, she can't go invisible so there's nothing Espio can teach her than Knuckles can't!

Even the book finds the TailsXMina pairing pretty baffling. At least it explains what the couple does in their down time. And there's a nice shot of future Mina using her super speed.

Lara-SuXArgyle is a thing, but it has been since the original M:25YL so I don't know why some are surprised at it now.

The '06 stuff is the last article in the book. It's implying that while Iblis and Mephiles never existed, there could still be something from them or Solaris in the future.

Last page is adverts for various series. Lots of Sonic, Knuckles, Sally and the Chaotix in these issues.

Overall, there aren't that many completely new things to find out, but it is a nice summary anyway. I would recommend it for Archie Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Egads... somehow, Elise manages to look even more disturbing here. I didn't know that was even possible!

Are......are we looking at the same Elise?

Are......are we looking at the same Elise?

Okay, maybe I've exaggerated it a bit, but she still looks a little off, mainly in the face area.

You'd think they'd redesign Elise a bit to be more in-line with the other humans. Give her manga-esque eyes or something!

I dunno. To me Elise just looks so out of place in that group of people in the style department. The guys are all cartoony but she's like a direct rip from her official game art except for the elongated leg and simplified dress. It's like the artist was just moaning "I dun wanna draw her but I HAVE to. Hnng."

Yeah her face looks really simplistic in comparison to those around her. What I can't get over though is her feet. What's going on there, why is the back like forward and the forward one back?

He's a Shadow recolor regardless of whether he's in crystal-form or not, dude.

Actually the second form is a remold/retool instead of just a repaint [/nitpickyfaggot]

Just responding to the "Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen" frame of exposition this book seems to actually be proud of. I guess I'm looking at retcons in this Encyclopedia... Excuse me while I fanboy the fuck out.

The fire ants might all be dead, whoops.

This crap is total crap. Can there be a more subtle way of killing off species of characters en-masse please?

"Western Armadillo" Arlo and "Eastern Armadillo" Mighty? Wut. Also some ArloXPenelope.

Happy with this! Some ridiculous people complain about the difference in appearance. This is also pretty close to the truth.

Little Jon O'Hedge is a Hedgehog/Echidna hybrid? He doesn't look like one at all, he just looks Echidna.

Uh, it goes by the mother I think? Like future Edmund is half Lara-su and half you-know-who?

Wait, the current Titan Metal Sonic is in fact the Metal Sonic Kai that featured in Knuckles Chaotix?

Dammit. Isn't this wrong? The one in the Chaotix special had the power gem. Isn't that supposed to be Shard, dammit?

Since when was Harry Dingo a DEL member?

Since the Knuckles SU arc. He was the one DEL member driving the sand wurm.

This Chaos Emerald article is actually confusing. The seven servers are apparently the Super Emeralds and not the Chaos Emeralds, but she and Chaos were sealed in the Black Chaos Emerald which is also the Ancient Onyx which isn't a true Chaos Emerald.

Yeah the Ancient Onyx was used because the Master Emerald was sealing Mogul, who absorbed Enerjak. Also the Master Emerald was recently created in Archie canon, they didn't have one before. So ancient deities in new Emeralds didn't work.

Then again, there are theories that Archie Chaos is an Ixis masterwork or something.

Agh can we stop with this crap. They wrote the same thing about Mephiles. Does everything come from one poorly wrought story origin about wizards and bullshit, or aliens and bullshit? Can we maybe leave room for originality maybe.

Uh, it goes by the mother I think? Like future Edmund is half Lara-su and half you-know-who?

Nope, it goes by gender usually, so Jon would be a Hedgehog under normal rules, but is instead a hybrid (the books says as such).

Also Edmund isn't Lara-Su's son, he's a couple of generations down from her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of which, it's daylight around here and there ain't a rush for me until tomorrow. If you guys want some specific scans, give a bell, 'k.

Speaking of which, it's daylight around here and there ain't a rush for me until tomorrow. If you guys want some specific scans, give a bell, 'k.

A better scan of that page with the Metal Series would be nice. :)

A better scan of that page with the Metal Series would be nice. smile.png

Can do and done.

Spoilered because it's huuuuuuge.

WKEDR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Does the book ever mention that one time Tails was roboticized along with Sonic by the Bem or show a pic of him then? Not exactly groundbreaking amazing since it was only for a handful of panels during the Bem experiments, but it would've been nice to see a modern interpretation of his mecha form.

Edited by Coral

Does the book ever mention that one time Tails was roboticized along with Sonic by the Bem or show a pic of him then? Not exactly groundbreaking amazing since it was only for a handful of panels during the Bem experiments, but it would've been nice to see a modern interpretation of his mecha form.

Nope, nothing at all on Sonic and Tails being roboticised by the Bem. The articles on Eggman and Snively mention the Bem turning them to flesh and blood very, very briefly, but only like in a sentence each for both, and no pictures (then again, since they're still flesh and blood, it's not exactly needed).

Doubly-post for more scans, these ones were requested. Following are the profiles of Sonic, Tails, Amy and Shadow.

Sonic

N8M37.jpg

Tails

IuplR.jpg

Amy

kwU13.jpg

Shadow

tEECX.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta love how Shadow's art is stock art from Shadow The Hedgehog but without the gun. Also, how his name gets its own style.

Quite a few characters get their own name style which isn't the generic block text or the SegaSonic name style. To wit, the ones who get them are Sally, Rotor, Antoine, Bunnie, NICOLE, Julie-Su, Vector (who's called just Vector in his title, not Vector the Crocodile), Espio, Mighty, Mina and the Forget-Me-Knots, The Secret Freedom Fighters and Thrash (wut).

Scourge gets a SegaSonic style title. The others like this are Silver, Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Ray, Charmy (who's called Charmy THE Bee), Saffron, and Rouge. Robotnik (that's his main name in the title) and Snively get similar but different.

Does anyone have any pictures of this shoes/glove look for Rotor? :|a I can't say I've ever seen it before.

Took me two minutes to scan it in.

Part of the Team Freedom/Team Fighter article;

X3VIV.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of this shoes/glove look for Rotor? :|a I can't say I've ever seen it before.

EDIT: Nevermind... Edited by tsz11