Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

Actually, Rayman Origins did do best on Nintendo platforms. Just putting that out there.

You're putting out there wrong. The Wii version did worse than the 360, actually. The version that sold more copies was the PlayStation 3 one. The one that sold less was the 3DS one.

PS3: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51202/rayman-origins/

360: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51200/rayman-origins/

Wii: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51201/rayman-origins/

PSV: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51848/rayman-origins/

3DS: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/58022/rayman-origins/

Rayman always did better on Sony I think, might check out the charts of Rayman 2 and 3 later. Anyway, there is no gain for Ubisoft in releasing Legends to the Wii U exclusively, good thing they realised that.

Besides, there's no more reason for whining and complaining aroud, people who have a Wii U will get games that people who have a PS3/360 will just dream of, and vice-versa, why can't this one be multiplatform(as it always have) without people complaining? The delay wasn't in vain too, the game will come for EVERYBODY better than ever. I don't get why there are people still trying to protect Nintendo, and blaming Ubisoft.

Edited by Jango

People should be happy the game was delayed; as Nintendo said themselves in the past "releasing a bad game makes it bad forever, taking time to make it better makes it a great game" or something along those lines.  Not that Legends was going to be bad (Origins is arguably one of the best 2d platformer of this generation) but the fact that theirs now thirty additional levels, a new layer of polish, and bonus levels for each version made the game even better than it was. 

The thing about exclusives is that it limits the audience and forces us to buy multiple systems ('cough' Kingdom Hearts 'cough') but releasing it for practically all systems makes it better for everyone to enjoy the game :)

You're putting out there wrong. The Wii version did worse than the 360, actually. The version that sold more copies was the PlayStation 3 one. The one that sold less was the 3DS one.

PS3: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51202/rayman-origins/

360: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51200/rayman-origins/

Wii: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51201/rayman-origins/

PSV: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51848/rayman-origins/

3DS: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/58022/rayman-origins/

Rayman always did better on Sony I think, might check out the charts of Rayman 2 and 3 later. Anyway, there is no gain for Ubisoft in releasing Legends to the Wii U exclusively, good thing they realised that.

Besides, there's no more reason for whining and complaining aroud, people who have a Wii U will get games that people who have a PS3/360 will just dream of, and vice-versa, why can't this one be multiplatform(as it always have) without people complaining? The delay wasn't in vain too, the game will come for EVERYBODY better than ever. I don't get why there are people still trying to protect Nintendo, and blaming Ubisoft.

Because one fanbase getting screwed over for the sake of "EVERYBODY" else warrants complaining. Some people actually bought the console for that game at launch, and a year later still nothing. If they wanted it multiplatform then don't market it as an exclusive, changing their minds at the last moment with the backwards idea that we wanted it in the first place, and then turn around again and change their mind again about the exclusive features after touting them as Wii U exclusive.

There was nothing stopping Ubisoft from releasing the game for Wii U on its planned release date and then adding the extra levels in later as  DLC. 

I don't get why you're defending Ubisoft after such a dick move.

People should be happy the game was delayed; as Nintendo said themselves in the past "releasing a bad game makes it bad forever, taking time to make it better makes it a great game" or something along those lines.  Not that Legends was going to be bad (Origins is arguably one of the best 2d platformer of this generation) but the fact that theirs now thirty additional levels, a new layer of polish, and bonus levels for each version made the game even better than it was. 

The thing about exclusives is that it limits the audience and forces us to buy multiple systems ('cough' Kingdom Hearts 'cough') but releasing it for practically all systems makes it better for everyone to enjoy the game smile.png

One could argue exclusives are an important part of system competition and make audiences pick a specific console.

Edited by The Kid
  • Thumbs Up 5

I think Ubisoft would've been damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

If they had released the Wii U version and then announced going multiplatform with new levels, Wii U owners would've felt screwed.

So they didn't but instead delayed the game and... Wii U owners felt screwed.

Also, nothing is ever Nintendo's fault. Ever.

Edited by Ass

Because one fanbase getting screwed over for the sake of "EVERYBODY" else warrants complaining. Some people actually bought the console for that game at launch, and a year later still nothing. If they wanted it multiplatform then don't market it as an exclusive, changing their minds at the last moment with the backwards idea that we wanted it in the first place, and then turn around again and change their mind again about the exclusive features after touting them as Wii U exclusive.

There was nothing stopping Ubisoft from releasing the game for Wii U on its planned release date and then adding the extra levels in later as  DLC. 

I don't get why you're defending Ubisoft after such a dick move.

One could argue exclusives are an important part of system competition and make audiences pick a specific console.

Well, theirs 1st party exclusives for that :)

Ubisoft could (and should) have handled this better, but the games still is coming to the Wii U and its coming to a wider audience in addition with the Ps3, 360, and Vita too.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take you seriously when you link VGChartz. I'm probably wrong, but VGChartz is about as unreliable as you can get for trying to determine just how well anything sold. Also, Jesus. Calm down, people are within every right to criticize Ubisoft for what they did. It was a PR disaster no matter what way you slice it, despite your happiness that it ends up on every other system. It's not even that the game was put on other consoles, it was the sudden pulling of the rug in about 2 weeks before release. They forced the Dev team into extra work they did not want to do, and basically flipped off anyone who were looking forward to playing the game on their Wii Us. I seriously doubt you'd be taking it so well if the shoe was on the other foot. Well, actually, it's likely you wouldn't since you're jumping down my throat and telling me and others how to feel here.

Edited by Super Mario

There was a really good video which summed up why this was a particularly dick move to Wii U owners, because many were sold the system on the promise of an exclusive Rayman game, and even better, one which would help showcase the systems unique features in a way that couldn't be done on other consoles. It eventually going multiplatform wouldn't have bothered me, especially since there's no way the other versions could really live up to the Wii U version in features, but it's that Ubisoft were willing to delay for other consoles to get in on the fun, but wouldn't show the same love for the Wii U with other releases.

As a consumer I don't appreciate anyone messing me around like that and I don't see why I should give them any support.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://youtu.be/KxpF7qlBdsU

This one? Watch_Dogs and Splinter Cell are coming to Wii U now, but the point still stands.

Yeah that's the one.

I'm not greedy; I'm fine with games being multi-platform, but I don't appreciate being deceived and having something promised that is revoked in the eleventh hour.

Again, people should be prepared for anything when they buy a new console this early. If it's someone's fault that Ubisoft decided to pull off the exclusivity, it's Nintendo fans. There I said. They feared the game wouldn't sell because of system. If people with Wii and 3DS had supported Ubisoft in the past with Rayman Origins for example, maybe they would keep the Wii U exclusivity. If Ubi wanted to pick one and only console to release that game, the best bet would be the PS3, since it did better on that system, not only Rayman, but platformers in general, since there isn't many to compete, unlike Nintendo.

You're blaming Nintendo fans now? Jesus Christ, dude. Are you like...a secret PR agent? Just asking, but were you blaming Sony and Xbox fans when Sonic went Wii U exclusive?

Edited by Super Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're blaming Nintendo fans now? Jesus Christ, dude. Are you like...a secret PR agent? Just asking, but were you blaming Sony and Xbox fans when Sonic went Wii U exclusive?

I did not specifically said, but yeah, it's PS3 and 360 fans fault too. I understood that it was the right choice since Sonic indeed did better on Nintendo, but I couldn't admit the same for Rayman, since it is not the case, pal.

Again, people should be prepared for anything when they buy a new console this early. If it's someone's fault that Ubisoft decided to pull off the exclusivity, it's Nintendo fans. There I said. They feared the game wouldn't sell because of system. If people with Wii and 3DS had supported Ubisoft in the past with Rayman Origins for example, maybe they would keep the Wii U exclusivity. If Ubi wanted to pick one and only console to release that game, the best bet would be the PS3, since it did better on that system, not only Rayman, but platformers in general, since there isn't many to compete, unlike Nintendo.

First of all, the 3DS version of Rayman Origins probably would have sold well had it not been released nearly a full goddamn year off schedule. 

Secondly, I don't care what the situation is. Delaying a game mere weeks before it's release for something so stupid is bullshit.

Third, blaming "Nintendo fans" for Ubi's stupidity and indecisiveness is such a bullshit argument. Ubisoft should have known what they wanted to do with the game well before two weeks before release.

• Thumbs Up 1

First of all, the 3DS version of Rayman Origins probably would have sold well had it not been released nearly a full goddamn year off schedule. 

Secondly, I don't care what the situation is. Delaying a game mere weeks before it's release for something so stupid is bullshit.

Third, blaming "Nintendo fans" for Ubi's stupidity and indecisiveness is such a bullshit argument. Ubisoft should have known what they wanted to do with the game well before two weeks before release.

Well, you would call stupidity in September when only the other versions of the game had 30+ levels and bosses, so no reason to argue here. It was said that they wanted to add more levels to reach their full potential, it's not stupid. Maybe it is stupid that they realised that so close to the release date.

How is it a bullshit argument? Releasing a game for a single brand new system, with an upcoming next-gen (PS4/Xbone) around the corner, it's risk. Yeah, it's not 100% Nintendo fans fault, I crossed the line. Anyway, would you prefer to work on something and deliver it earlier just to get it out your back, or work more time to improve it and deliver a really well done work that, even if you had worked more, you would make more money?

Edited by Jango

The problem never was and never will be the fact that the game became multiplatform.  The problem is that they did what SEGA did with Anarchy Reigns and delayed a finished product two weeks before it was supposed to be released.  Bless the devs' hearts, because they're at least trying to make the most of the shitty situation they were given.

• Thumbs Up 9

I lose faith in Ubisoft every time I swear. What a bloody stupid reason to delay the game for half a year! I still don't get it.

*sigh* Two more months to go...

A timed Wii U exclusive with exclusive features released when it was could have been a great boon for both the Wii U and Ubisoft. There was a massive software gap that Rayman could have filled giving it more focus and allowing those who own the Wii U version to help hype it up in the following months while the multi-platform versions were developed. Wii U owners don't feel too cheated because they got it first, with more features and Ubisoft could offer patches and DLC later on for anything new (getting even more money from Wii U owners).

And if MS really didn't want the game appearing on their system after Nintendo's, then sod them; release it on everything else instead and ask gamers to help spread the word of how good the game is on Wii U and why everyone should buy it if they can't get that version. I would say that people would have been more excited going in this way, and Wii U owners could have helped build up excitement for other platforms.

Ubisoft sacrificed all that as well as gamers trust, so now we have people threatening that if we don't buy it at all after all this went down, then we might never get more support. I almost say I don't want support from a publisher that would treat its customers this way. Why do 3rd parties have to be such dicks about this? They really need to be thrown off their high-horses.

That's a Shigeru Miyamoto quote, and as good as it is, and as much as it should still be adhere'd too... it also just isn't relevant in today's industry anymore.  DLC and patching ensures that a bad game need not be bad forever - if the badness is something that can be fixed anyway.

The thing about exclusives is that it limits the audience and forces us to buy multiple systems ('cough' Kingdom Hearts 'cough') but releasing it for practically all systems makes it better for everyone to enjoy the game smile.png

Exclusives do have advantages though, such as all the time and work gone into porting and bug testing a million times over on every platform could be spent making the core game and its content better.

Exclusives can also play to a systems unique features. Kinect and the U controller both offer up different possibilities that can't be so easily replicated on other platforms, and Ubisoft even cited this as a reason why Legends was U exclusive to start with.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, this game is looking better and better biggrin.png

Not only are we getting a very great experience with Legends but we are also getting the best levels from Origins along with some great new modes and other stuff; what a value this game will be.

Cant wait to pick this up for the Vita when it comes out :)