Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

That's good news :), and the game didn't even come out in Japan and US yet, so it still has a lot of chances to sell even more. If Ubisoft advertises this a little more, than more people would get this game (as huge games like GTA don't come out till the middle of the month, giving Ubi a whole week to make Legends sell before it gets slaughtered by the huge games like GTA).

Not to mention the lack of big games on Wii U outside of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Splinter Cell Blacklist, Legends will sell best on Wii U due to lack of software (as will be the reason why it would do well on Vita as well, outside of Killzone there's nothing huge coming to Vita this September outside of Legends).

Rayman Legends entered sixth in the UK All Formats, selling 20% more than Origins on launch (which didn't even chart, making it a mildly negligible improvement). The highest charting version was the Wii U one, which on Individual formats entered at 14 and constituted 45% of the sold units.

Mild success for Wii U viability, not a good success for the game itself.

But Rayman Origins was a great success for Ubisoft.

But Rayman Origins was a great success for Ubisoft.

It was most likely due to it being in-expensive to develop, as it as all based on the Ubi-Art engine (which dynamically allows for assets to be re-used and for creation of new art being very seamless), not to mention the game landing on every platform under the sun.

With Legends, its clear that it was the more expensive to develop as it not only included upgrades to the Ubi-Art engine but also includes 3d models, a brand new SKU (Wii U), and re-tooling the game to work on traditional controllers all must have made it's budget bigger than Origins. That was most likely why the delay even happened, as the sales from the Wii U version wouldn't be enough for it to surpass the budget costs.

Oh Rayman, you are such a tease. Despite feeling a lack of hype for this game in recent months and pondering whether to pass on it until a later date, the consistently high review scores prompted me to think "oh what the hell" and I picked it up on Friday like I had originally planned to. And oh boy am I ever glad I did.

Rayman Legends is divine. It's got the same fluid gameplay as Origins, only bigger and better and with even nicer graphics than before (I know some people will prefer Origins' style but I'm a fan of Legends' more detailed visuals). It truly does feel like the Super Mario Galaxy of 2D platformers at times, because there's just such a wide variety of gameplay on offer - one minute you're sneaking your way through a laser-filled mansion, the next you're taking down oversized luchadors, then you're running for your life from impending doom, all before jumping and kicking your way to the beat of an acoustic Eye of the Tiger. And it's all done so well, too. This is an extremely polished and extremely well made game. Say what you will about the big delay, but they definitely put it to good use. Plus there's such an astonishing sense of achievement - after practically every level you're unlocking something new and finding something else to see. Ubisoft, you done good.

The one negative I can find with the game is, surprise surprise, in the Murphy levels. It's not so much that they're bad, it's just that the AI-controlled Globox can be a real pain in the backside sometimes, especially when you notice a hidden secret but if you don't time getting it just perfectly he strolls on past with no way of going back for it besides restarting the level. At least it makes for a few novel uses of the GamePad during platforming sections.

Also, does anyone else feel that when you go back to play the Origins stages, as good as they are, they're just not... quite as good as the Legends ones? I dunno, whereas Legends itself feels vast and epic, Origins feels quite boxed into a room-by-room approach (which I know is present in some Legends levels too) that makes the stages feel more like a series of separate levels connected by the same theme rather than one big one. It by no means makes me think any less of Origins mind, it's just something I couldn't help but notice.

I totally agree with the comments on the Origins levels, I do think this is so much better than Origins.  The Origins levels have felt like a chore to play compared to the Legends ones (and it doesn't help that I insist on playing every Origins level as they unlock so I'm not playing them in bulk later... except I just unlocked like ten in a row and continue to unlock more from the scratchcards I get from THOSE Origins levels ._.  I just finished Olympus Maximus and I wanna play Livid Dead Party already damnitttt).

By the way I made a status about it but goddamn is the duck level music perfect or is the duck level music perfect.  I also adore the song from the beginning of the first level on Toad Story (though I knew that from the demo).  Genuinely sad it didn't crop up on any other levels, it's so beautiful.

Rayman Legends entered sixth in the UK All Formats, selling 20% more than Origins on launch (which didn't even chart, making it a mildly negligible improvement). The highest charting version was the Wii U one, which on Individual formats entered at 14 and constituted 45% of the sold units.Mild success for Wii U viability, not a good success for the game itself.
So would it have done better if Ubi didn't delay it? Yeah I'm still bitter.

So would it have done better if Ubi didn't delay it? Yeah I'm still bitter.

Possibly. A lot of people (including myself) have so many games coming out in the coming months that it doesn't make sense to purchase Legends today. If this launched on its original date where there were little to no games to play through then I would have bought it.

Possibly. A lot of people (including myself) have so many games coming out in the coming months that it doesn't make sense to purchase Legends today. If this launched on its original date where there were little to no games to play through then I would have bought it.

same here, might have been tempted during the summer, but now, I have a limited budget, and I am trying to save my money in case of emergency, and SSB, my main place for Wii-U games is b-day and Christmas, but got several other games I would much rather prefer

Legends' sales in UK aren't that great and I can't help but feel that it wouldn't have lost so much hype and interest if the delays hadn't happened. It got a quiet release and tons of people probably forgot it even exists.

One of the things that really stood out in Origins was it's soundtrack, especially one of the water themes. 

How does the soundtrack in Legends compare? =D

Legends' soundtrack is fantastic, I genuinely prefer it to Origins in every way, it's a lot more memorable and you'll feel familiar to them before too long.

Also oh man the music for the spy-like world has some of the greatest homages ever.

One of the things that really stood out in Origins was it's soundtrack, especially one of the water themes. 

How does the soundtrack in Legends compare? =D

Unlike Origins they go for a "recurring theme that's remixed on every level" thing, with a few original tracks smattered about, but every single song is awesome yes.

I just finished the final world. Once I've successfully managed to relocate my eyeballs back into their sockets I'll get to work on those Teensies I missed.

Edited by JezMM

I've been playing the 360 version (due to the Vita one being delayed) and I can honestly say I'm having much more fun with the Murphy levels than I ever did with the Wii U version. I hate hate hate AI-controlled characters so having full control of Rayman makes it feel much like the rest of the levels in the game with an extra button press every now and then, which I much prefer. 

I'm absolutely loving the game so far! It does seem a lot easier than Origins but the level design, music, visuals and everything are just spot-on.

Game is finally out in the US. Will be picking up the Wii U version.

As for the PS Vita version, I wonder if they'll include the Invasion levels some time down the road.

Edited by canderson

So apparently Rayman Legends is missing 28 levels in the PS Vita version. A comment on this Eurogamer FB post says you also have to be online to play the game.
https://www.facebook.com/Eurogamer/posts/10151931660101754

Here's their article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-rayman-legends-owners-discover-vita-version-is-missing-28-levels

I was actually going to trade my 360 version for the Vita one when it came out in 2 weeks, but the more I read about it the more I'm thinking of just sticking with this one...

Not going to lie, the game is sort of disappointing to me. The game feels like the Challenge App but with a supermassive expansion pack thrown into it. It seems less focused on following a cohesive thread of strung-together levels and story, and more about how many ideas they can just squeeze into one game and call it a day. Considering how much was cut out from Origins I at least expected Legends to follow upon what it tried to do and attempt to have a grander scale like Rayman 3 had. But this is just a bunch of ideas with little to no regard for consistency. The game throws a ton of great ideas your way but it doesn't feel like any of them have the chance to evolve in a natural way, and being able to unlock later levels and even later characters far before you've gotten passed the first world feels kind of like it's trivializing the entire concept way too far, as if the game wasn't already simpler.

In a way you can kind of tell how this game feels like it originally started as a fun little Wii U game for the friends and family. That's honestly where the game feels like it truly belongs. I'd find it hard to call this a sequel over Origins as much as it is just a shit ton of really good ideas being thrown together with confusing set ups.

I'm not even sure I'm following the story thread here. The game is fun but it's really weird. If it weren't for the tighter game play, better gimmicks and more interesting artistic design I'd almost say I prefer Origins over this one.

There literally is no story in Legends, which honestly surprised me too actually.  This is one of many things that I keep forgetting to mention that I dislike actually, sort of related:

The first time you meet a dark Teensie, I thought "aha, so here's where the story is gonna get going".  Then... every single world repeats the exact same cut-scenes for each of the dark Teensies without variation or anything.  Rabbids Go Home kind of had this same problem - they have a funny little cut-scene and then proceed to repeat it several times throughout the game with no change to the point that it's totally mood-breaking, when it felt so natural and amusing the first time.

Another bad surprise I forgot about was that I remember them saying Barbara wasn't the only new character, and she was simply related to the medieval first world.  There'd be a new character for each new world in the game.  They didn't mention that they're all just different costumes and colours for Barbara.

I will say, regarding the story - minor ending spoilers:

You won't see the ending coming, and not in a good way.  You will go "...oh, that was it?"

Another bad surprise I forgot about was that I remember them saying Barbara wasn't the only new character, and she was simply related to the medieval first world.  There'd be a new character for each new world in the game.  They didn't mention that they're all just different costumes and colours for Barbara.

Really? Really?

I was looking forward to that too. That's exactly what Origins did. I didn't like it then and expected that Legends would 1-up it. Oh well.

At least the numerous Barbara recolours are marginally more interesting than a cavalcade of recoloured Teensies.

...right?

At least the numerous Barbara recolours are marginally more interesting than a cavalcade of recoloured Teensies.

...right?

Yeah.

I didn't know there were supposed to be other characters besides Barbara, so maybe the lack of that expectation made me enjoy it more because the Barbara costumes are all lovely! Especially the Palutena-like Olympius costume.

Yeah.

I didn't know there were supposed to be other characters besides Barbara, so maybe the lack of that expectation made me enjoy it more because the Barbara costumes are all lovely! Especially the Palutena-like Olympius costume.

Agreed, Olympia is easily my favourite of the Barbara-based characters. I don't care for most of the others but... hey, it's better than nothing I guess!

The very last character you can unlock with lums in the Heroes Gallery and the one you unlock for getting all 700 teensies look a bit different to the usual Rayman/Globox/Teensies/Barbara recolours though... maybe there are a couple of cool secrets tucked away for expert players? Either that or they're just well disguised and I've just got wishful thinking.