Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

Well hey, it shows the Wii U version up front. At least they have the courtesy.

Trailer is the Wii U version?

Maybe that's why it's so fast... at the Expo I was playing the version on the PS3. If that video is in the in-game play, I think Rayman has been far more controlled substances than Sonic with speed like that. No wonder my friend told me the Wii U version was incredibly hard for him.

It probably is Wii U footage, but what I was saying is that the trailer places the Wii U version at the front of that stack of boxes. Which is usually meant to say "this is the primary version".

Edit: Fun fact. Did you know Rayman Legends is still Wii U exclusive in Japan?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

So here's something interesting and depressing. According to Jim Sterling, they weren't sent a Wii U version for review. This means a number of things.

Supposedly, the Murfy stages aren't nearly as good on PS3 and 360, mostly because you still have to control Murfy with button prompts or the control stick, as well as all the other touch screen features. So basically, the game's reviews are being marked down because they're reviews of the 360 version. On the Wii U version, the Murfy sections are fantastic and very clever, but reviews aren't able to reflect this because for some reason they're not sending the Wii U version for review?

Now, my inner conspiracy-theorist likes to believe that Microsoft arranged for Ubi to only send the 360 version to review, they knew the game would be affected negatively by its lack of Wii U features, and as a result the game's aggregates are lower than they otherwise would be - the game is devalued in the eyes of the consumer. People will be seeing review scores of a game under 90% (GASP!) and thinking "phew, thank god I didn't buy a Wii U for this!" because all they do is look at the review scores and see the game's quality reflected in that, rather than paying attention to the detail that the Murfy sections, clearly made for the Wii U version, are gimped in the PS3 and 360 versions.

Interest falls in the competition even further!

And even assuming that isn't the case, it's plain unfair that no review copies are being sent out for the Wii U or Vita versions, reviewers aren't playing the game it was meant to be played, and chances are they won't be at all unless they work for a Nintendo site because why would a reviewer play through a multiplatform game more than once? A lot of reviewers probably aren't able to "review" the Murfy stages properly at all because of this. It's.. really iffy?? They're missing out on a key part of the game because they're only reviewing the featureless port.

Does anyone think anything will be done about that, or will it just be swept under the rug?

Edited by SuperLink

Just finished the first world, super awesome stuff.  The game has a Mario Galaxy-esque "play whatever stages you like and unlock more with collectables" angle rather than the linear path Origins had.  I'm guessing the overall objective is to unlock and beat the boss on every world.

I played a few Origins levels too, they're worth checking out again as they have been altered to have Lum collecting and Teensie saving to be more in style with Legends (less side rooms than before).

Oh, and in case anyone is as dumb as me, you enter your DLC pre-order codes not in the eShop, but in "Uplay and Bonus" on the title screen.

Funnily enough, the game crashed during the intro on my very first load.  Not a good first impression but didn't repeat.

EDIT: Oh one more comment: I was surprised that the first level in the demo turned out to be the very first level in the full game too.  I don't think it's a good opening to let you play as Rayman for 30 seconds then chuck you straight into 5 minutes of Murphy gameplay.

EDIT 2: Finally finally... omg a certain animation on Ray Plumber's costume gave me the biggest smile:

Wing Cap hover! <3

Edited by JezMM

So, anyone order from Zavvi? They've not charged me for the game yet, yet alone dispatched it.

Edited by Blue Blood

I finished all the new levels and the final one, just got to blast through the time trialesque levels and origins, saved 450 Teensies roughly I think, absolutely LOVE all the costumes for Barbara, Twila is probably my favourite.

This game is brilliant, but I feel it's a little...Easy? Like I had way more challenge with Origins... Not sure if it's due to me playing through Origins that got me pretty much perfect from the get go for this game.

My huge complaint is the amount of Murphy levels in this game, seriously I get that the Gamepad is being used during these but fuck off there's at least 2-3 Murphy levels per hub painting! I'd rather they put more of the music running levels in than be stuck using Murphy ffs...

• Thumbs Up 1

The Murfy levels are brilliant fun in multiplayer, it's a shame it's still not online because I have nothing but praise for the Murfy levels.. but I also can't imagine them being that great in single player.

Edited by SuperLink

Yeah, honestly I think Murfy levels should have been treated as a seperate mode or something.  Playable in Single Player but seperate from the main game and its totals.  They really are soulless and annoying without the co-op element, having way too many blink-and-you'll miss it moments where if you don't arrange stuff quick enough, Sir Globax will just ignore secrets, even though in multiplayer the second player could easily go back once you've re-arranged stuff, the computer player will just sit there waiting for you to move the next main route object into place.

I agree that there's way WAY too many for them to be encouraged as normal gameplay in Single Player.  I still can't believe they open the game with one.

EDIT: Since I was curious I looked up the PS3 version and... wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySCpc2WuZ18

On one hand it's really sad what they reduced Murfy down to, yet on the other I can't help but be jealous that you at least get to remain in control of Rayman and have full control over where you go.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, honestly I think Murfy levels should have been treated as a seperate mode or something.  Playable in Single Player but seperate from the main game and its totals.  They really are soulless and annoying without the co-op element, having way too many blink-and-you'll miss it moments where if you don't arrange stuff quick enough, Sir Globax will just ignore secrets, even though in multiplayer the second player could easily go back once you've re-arranged stuff, the computer player will just sit there waiting for you to move the next main route object into place.

I agree that there's way WAY too many for them to be encouraged as normal gameplay in Single Player.  I still can't believe they open the game with one.

EDIT: Since I was curious I looked up the PS3 version and... wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySCpc2WuZ18

On one hand it's really sad what they reduced Murfy down to, yet on the other I can't help but be jealous that you at least get to remain in control of Rayman and have full control over where you go.

I'm honestly surprised that you still cant control you character even with Murphy, as the Wii U does have buttons/d-pad/analog sticks, so I cant see why they could have just have had you be able to control you character and Murphy at the same time :(

If its that bad in single player, then I wonder why its such a selling point to the Wii U/Vita builds if they detract from the game so much. Thanks for the heads up though, as I will now get the PS3 version over the Vita one now :)

If you have friends to play with the Murphy levels are great, but alone not so much.

I can understand why they don't allow control though.  The time-pressured Murphy levels would be impossible to do stopping to do touch screen stuff every few seconds.

If you have friends to play with the Murphy levels are great, but alone not so much.

I can understand why they don't allow control though.  The time-pressured Murphy levels would be impossible to do stopping to do touch screen stuff every few seconds.

Well, then those should be the ones where you lose control then. Maybe they could make a patch for the Wii U/Vita versions where you can swipe left/right/up/down near your character so they can change direction or trace a line near your character to make there path (kinda like Kirby's Canvas Curse).

I can appreciate the need for consistency though.  Might as well make all Murfy levels play the same so you understand the playing field when a fast one pops up.

I love Rayman Origins and looking forward to legends. Hope that it was worth the wait

Right.

I have just played the game and my impressions so far has yet reached into my mind.

Here is the first video below, please excuse the quality of the video. The second part will be uploaded soon so please do keep checking my channel or best to subscribe. Don't wanna spam with a number of videos as there will be a lot of them. Thanks smile.png

By the way, I'll admit that my style of commentary sucks in this one so do excuse me for that aswell.

So is there any reason why the Vita version's been delayed? I was interested in picking this game up Day one, but it wasn't avaulable for my console of choosing. Thankfully it's only mid September and not that far away but still...

Note to everyone getting the Vita version - the Invasion levels aren't in it. It's a crippled version.

Are you serious? I heard it had 5 exclusive levels or something.

That's bullshit :/

In other news I finished most of it, I just need to unlock characters now. Anyone know a good way to get Lums?

Edited by SuperLink

Scratch Cards, Daily challenges, replaying the Song levels, blast through both Legends and Origins again, It's essentially just grinding but that's the way to go.

Just downloading the PC version. Love being forced to download Uplay even though I already have steam for DRM!

Hey, It's about £15 cheaper than the Wii U version where I live, so I get what I pay for.

Note to everyone getting the Vita version - the Invasion levels aren't in it. It's a crippled version.

That just makes skipping it that much easer; Murphy touch controls not being fun in single player AND the invasion levels missing are more than enough reasons to get the PS3 version over Vita. Shame to, as Origins was best on Vita, so Legends not being the case is disappointing. I do wonder though if the EU delay of the Vita version was to add them before it comes out (same thing with the US version if its delayed), as Ubisoft could easily patch them latter on if time was the reason they weren't in the Vita version (it cannot be space issues, as Origins was not even a 1GB on Vita)>

6aming Rayman Legends impressions on different versions

"The main difference that stood out was controlling Murphy.  It’s no surprise by now that in order to control Murphy on the Wii U one must use the touchscreen on the gamepad.  While that allows for fluid control over the fairy-like insect, the other version literally just has you mash B on the 360 controller, or circle (if you’re using PS3).  Need to cut a rope? Hit B.  Move a platform?  Hit B.  Tickle an enemy? Hit B!  It becomes rather repetitive after a while and I found my hands starting to cramp up from trying to control Murphy and Rayman at the same time."

...That sounds incredibly repetitive and boring. Just a heads up if you're debating which version you're getting or if you should get the PC version over 360/PS3.

Edit: According to the posts below, they didn't bother enabling mouse controls.

Edited by Autosaver

Even though it seems to be common sense that the PC version would let you control Murfy with the mouse, I just looked up footage and it was exactly the same as the 360/PS3 version.  Unless there's an option to choose one or the other.

From what I've played of the pc version, it's a very straight port of the 360/PS3 version, so no murphy levels or option to toggle them from what I've played.

Rayman Legends entered sixth in the UK All Formats, selling 20% more than Origins on launch (which didn't even chart, making it a mildly negligible improvement). The highest charting version was the Wii U one, which on Individual formats entered at 14 and constituted 45% of the sold units.

Mild success for Wii U viability, not a good success for the game itself.