Awoo.

Sonic Adventure PSN/XBLA Port

Guest -FourKaySix-

PS360 aren't powerful enough to run DC emulators with any kind of accuracy, and they wouldn't be able to have actually hosted any of the games on PSN or XBLA.

Doubtful. Sega didn't have anything to do with the PC port of Crazi Taxi. More likely is that it is widescreen because the PSP port was widescreen.

It's still their game, their liscense and by all means, they own the code. Just because someone else was hired to port the game doesn't mean SEGA don't own the code. It's a lot easier to convert PC code to 360 than it is DC code.

It's still their game, their liscense and by all means, they own the code. Just because someone else was hired to port the game doesn't mean SEGA don't own the code.

They own the source code for the game itself. They don't necessarily posses the source code for the Windows port. When I said they had nothing to do with the game I mean that they had nothing to do with the game. Sega didn't hire anyone to do anything. They didn't choose the developer to work on the game. They didn't even publish it.

It's a lot easier to convert PC code to 360 than it is DC code.

That is untrue. The difference wouldn't really be large enough that it would cause any development headaches, and this isn't only a 360 port anyways. Crazy Taxi was also on the original XBox (one could say) and the PSP (though this almost certainly won't be a port of the XBox version, which also made it to the PC), neither of which were/are rocket science to develop for themselves, both of which actually had Sega involvement, and both of which actually had widescreen gameplay.

Edited by Tornado

They own the source code for the game itself. They don't necessarily posses the source code for the Windows port. When I said they had nothing to do with the game I mean that they had nothing to do with the game. Sega didn't hire anyone to do anything. They didn't choose the developer to work on the game. They didn't even publish it.

That is untrue. The difference wouldn't really be large enough that it would cause any development headaches, and this isn't only a 360 port anyways. Crazy Taxi was also on the original XBox (one could say) and the PSP (though this almost certainly won't be a port of the XBox version, which also made it to the PC), neither of which were/are rocket science to develop for themselves, both of which actually had Sega involvement, and both of which actually had widescreen gameplay.

Crazy Taxi was never released for the original Xbox. It got a DC, PC, GC and PS2 (and PSP) release. Perhaps you're getting confused with Crazy Taxi 3 High Roller? In any case, even though it was Acclaim that headed up the the PC/GC/PS2 release, it doesn't change the fact that Crazy Taxi was developed by an in house SEGA development studio (AM3). It was and is still a SEGA owned franchise (as evident by BD Joe's inclusion in SASASR) and it was SEGA that liscensed the franchise to Acclaim. SEGA still made money from those versions. I'd be willing to believe they also have the rights to the source code.

As for the PSP version, it was most likely made from the older PS2 port with enchancements.

Edited by Jof

Crazy Taxi was never released for the original Xbox. It got a DC, PC, GC and PS2 (and PSP) release. Perhaps you're getting confused with Crazy Taxi 3 High Roller?

No. I knew full well that the original Crazi Taxi wasn't on the XBox. But the game engine of High Roller was from the first game (with some graphical and gameplay tweaks, of course), with the original levels ported over. And it would be no more difficult to port the High Roller engine with the new features/soundtrack removed to XBLA/PSN than it would the original PC Crazy Taxi, particularly because High Roller also got a PC release that was actually done by Sega.

In any case, even though it was Acclaim that headed up the the PC/GC/PS2 release, it doesn't change the fact that Crazy Taxi was developed by an in house SEGA development studio (AM3). It was and is still a SEGA owned franchise (as evident by BD Joe's inclusion in SASASR) and it was SEGA that liscensed the franchise to Acclaim.

Acclaim didn't have anything to do with the PC version either.

As for the PSP version, it was most likely made from the older PS2 port with enchancements.

First of all, no. Anyone who has played both versions can tell you that they are night and day. Second of all, what the hell difference does it make if it was?

But this is getting off topic, so I'll cut to the chase:

SEGA still made money from those versions. I'd be willing to believe they also have the rights to the source code.

Your original assertion was because this game had 16:9, and the original shittastic PC port apparently had 16:9, and because we suspect that Adventure is a port of the PC version, then this must be the PC port of Crazy Taxi. That is an absurd leap of logic.

We know absolutely nothing about Crazy Taxi XBLA. It could be the DC version of the game with the soundtrack excised and presented in widescreen (which is basically what the PSP version was anyways). It could be running on a modified version of the High Roller engine so it would have increased graphical effects and built in widescreen. It could be the PSP port of the game with the graphics restored to their original resolution. Hell, it could even be the crappy Gamecube version of the game with P-Scan and widescreen. But out of all the things it could be, the PC version of the original game is the least likely choice, because there would be no practical benefit to using that (terrible) version over any of the several other versions of the game that Sega actually worked on. I know Sega does some pretty stupid stuff in their pursuit of mediocrity, but it is very rare that they go out of their way to do so.

Edited by Tornado

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a bit stand-offish. However, just look at SA:DX here. It is indeed a port of the PC version, people over at Retro have ripped the XBLA version apart already and it's pretty much exactly the same. It doesn't have the shading effects or water effects of the GC version.

Now, if SEGA can't even be bothered to add Widescreen support (something which can be done with 3 lines of code) to a PC port of a Sonic game, what makes you think they're going to put in any extra effort in a port of Crazy Taxi? Especially when there's a (pretty bad) PC version that can be ported like SA:DX.

Because Crazy Taxi is a wholly different situation from Adventure DX. Adventure only had two ports: The GameCube, and the PC (keep in mind that Sega probably didn't choose Adventure DX to port because it was easier to do. It is more because of their deluded thinking that Adventure DX is better than the original game, so they were only going to port Adventure DX). Crazy Taxi has had half a dozen, if you include High Roller and the subsequent PC port it received. Unlike Adventure, Sega has several versions of the game to choose from that would be just as easy to port to XBLA/PSN as the PC version would be (basically, any of them that weren't the PS2 version), and several of them would probably actually be easier to do than the original PC version, particularly considering they would probably have to jump through hoops to even get their hands on the source code for the PC version (because they didn't have anything to do with its development so they probably never had any need for it, and the developer that did make it is no more).

There is nothing stopping Sega from taking the PC version of High Roller and removing all of the "extra" stuff and the soundtrack, and that is basically what they did with the XBLA/PSN port of Adventure anyways (ported the game and removed content). Or they could take the PSP version of the game (which already had all of the necessary changes done to it, from the removed soundtrack to the licenced location changes to the widescreen support) and port it back.

Edited by Tornado

Meh, I've already got the PS2 version of Crazy Taxi, so I'll probably pass on that.

Then again, if they add even the tiniest piece of extra crap (which they probably won't), I might grab it up.

The ESRB says Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN is now also coming to Windows PC and MAC.

http://www.segabits.com/?p=4146

I've looked at the XBLA and PSN versions of Sonic Adventure there and it also lists Windows PC. The older PC versions are listed separately.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp

esrbsonicadventurelisti.jpg

Could this be coming to Steam too?

I was just watching this more recent footage and I could be wrong but the guy appears to be controlling Sonic in 360 degrees instead of the 8 directions from the PC version we saw before... Not 100% though.

Edited by DistantJ

Coming to PSN on the 15th September too

We are all out of shirts! Congrats to @evilslash13 and all our winners today! Reminder - Sonic Adventure on PSN / XBLA on 9/15/10!

1:51 AM Sep 10th via TweetDeck

We are all out of shirts! Congrats to @evilslash13 and all our winners today! Reminder - Sonic Adventure on PSN / XBLA on 9/15/10!

— SEGA (@SEGA)

September 10, 2010

So that's two more days, time has flown in regards to this release.

Anyone planning to get it here first day? Some impressions/opinions on Leaderboards/etc. would be neat.

Hmmmm might do... Not sure.

If I get it I'll want to completely beat it, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it, the technical issue and.. Oh God... the choa racing again!

I'm going to get it, but unsure which platform to get it on. I'll probably get it for PS3, because I have a small bit of money in my PSN wallet that I can put toward it.

Hmmmm might do... Not sure.

If I get it I'll want to completely beat it, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it, the technical issue and.. Oh God... the choa racing again!

I'm not a fan of Chao racing, so I'm going to hate getting those emblems. No offence to Chao racing fans.

I got some MSpoints on friday for it so I'll be getting it purely for achievements though since I still prefer to play on the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure =) but I still play on this if I can't be bothered to get up and get the CD from the shelf XD

Edited by Shaddix

I was just watching this more recent footage and I could be wrong but the guy appears to be controlling Sonic in 360 degrees instead of the 8 directions from the PC version we saw before... Not 100% though.

Wow. That actually looks pretty good!

I laughed when the guy said that "the camera still sucks".

I'll be getting it on release day and playing it ALL DAY. I'll let you know if anything extremely exciting happens.

After watching that video... I kinda want to get it now... not sure why, I've got the DC version, the gamecube version 100% them all... But theres just something about watching that dude playing the video that makes me think "I really want to play that."

It's that fan-curse thing. I had three other Sonic fans in my house over the weekend, after a quick think we concluded that, between us, we owned Sonic 1 at least 25 times.

It's strange though, I can only think of 1 other game that I know I would buy again if they release it, and thats Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3. Anything else would need something more for me to part cash with, be it trophies or some kind of new mode.

Yet Sonic is the one game I would probably end up buying again very close to day 1 so long as it was getting a release on my primary console.

Looking forward to it! Just two days away!

I certainly do hope that it is 360 degree movement and not 8-directions, but even if it is I'll still get it I think, I don't have this game on any system (and I haven't had it on any for years) but used to really love it, so it'll be great to play it again.

I just hope it's a better port than it initially looked like it was gonna be.

I'mma getting it purely for achievements, because I have no problems with the game, come across no glitches, the cameras not billiant, but so what?

Anyways, getting it on day 1, can't wait :P

I'm surprised the game still has no product page at Xbox.com or in the Marketplace there or on the Xbox 360.