Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So two people from IDW's team are leaving. I don't think this will impact IDW Sonic too much, but still. It happened

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

My standards are " I would rather have good designed characters around , who are interesting and have relevance to the franchise " yes. 

You can hold me to that. 

I would if “good design”, “interesting”, and “relevance” didn’t sum up to usual arbitrary of “I think this character is cool/dumb, because I like/hate them,” which tends to be the case with your standards almost regardless of everything else the comic team puts into them, be it backstory, motives, range of characterization, and goals.

So no, you can’t be held to that in good faith. We wouldn’t be having this conversation otherwise.

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I would if “good design”, “interesting”, and “relevance” didn’t sum up to usual arbitrary of “I think this character is cool/dumb, because I like/hate them,” which tends to be the case with your standards almost regardless of everything else the comic team puts into them.

Its almost as if I have reasons to not like a character

Its almost if that's a thing, like... an opinion

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So no, you can’t be held to that in good faith. We wouldn’t be having this conversation otherwise.

I can, because its my opinion

I mean I could explain why I don't like nagus 

But you assume my opinions aren't real because they are contradictory to yours for whatever reason

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its almost as if I have reasons to not like a character

Its almost if that's a thing, like... an opinion

Oh, here we go with the “it’s my opinion” card. It’s honestly been a long time since I’ve seen someone pull that as a defense.

Here’s a heads up: I don’t care if it’s your opinion. The moment you share it, it’s up for scrutiny just like everyone else’s. So save your breath telling me that. Everyone here hates at least one character, so you’re not all that special.

I can, because its my opinion

I mean I could explain why I don't like nagus 

But you assume my opinions aren't real because they are contradictory to yours for whatever reason

This coming from someone who though I hated Shadow and Team Dark.

And again, I don’t care if it’s your opinion.

While yes, you could explain why you don’t like Nagus. We all have reasons why we don’t like certain characters and that would be perfectly fine...but it’s still not going to save you from criticism, especially when you mock him as “dumb elf wthat irrelevant to Modern Sonic” like that kind of potshot is something that should even be accepted with no issue. But doing so without that pettiness would fare a lot better.

But instead, whenever I call that out, you make up defensive excuses as to why I criticize the points you make and even lie by saying “they contradictory to yours.” 

I’ve actually had people on here who don’t like the things I like, one such member being @Dr. Detective Mike who doesn’t like the Freedom Fighters, but not once have I ever gotten on his case for it since he’s been one of the most respectful dissidents about it to where I can understand him while amicably disagreeing with him.

So it’s got nothing to do with you contradicting me. You can even agree with me, and I’ll still call you out if something seems off.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Oh, here we go with the “it’s my opinion” card. It’s honestly been a long time since I’ve seen someone pull that as a defense.

Here’s a heads up: I don’t care if it’s your opinion. The moment you share it, it’s up for scrutiny just like everyone else’s. So save your breath telling me that. Everyone here hates at least one character, so you’re not all that special.

This coming from someone who though I hated Shadow and Team Dark.

And again, I don’t care if it’s your opinion.

While yes, you could explain why you don’t like Nagus. We all have reasons why we don’t like certain characters and that would be perfectly fine...but it’s still not going to save you from criticism, especially when you mock him as “dumb elf wthat irrelevant to Modern Sonic” like that kind of potshot is something that should even be accepted with no issue. But doing so without that pettiness would fare a lot better.

But instead, whenever I call that out, you make up defensive excuses as to why I criticize the points you make and even lie by saying “they contradictory to yours.” 

I’ve actually had people on here who don’t like the things I like, one such member being @Dr. Detective Mike who doesn’t like the Freedom Fighters, but not once have I ever gotten on his case for it since he’s been one of the most respectful dissidents about it to where I can understand him while amicably disagreeing with him.

So it’s got nothing to do with you contradicting me. You can even agree with me, and I’ll still call you out if something seems off.

I don't think I ever said that I had issues with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, especially when i have spent pages arguing for them. 

I don't know what your issue is, I don't know what you are arguing it,. It seems to be " I don't like that you don't like the thing I like " , I don't have time for that, I'm going to end this

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think I ever said that I had issues with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, especially when i have spent pages arguing for them. 

Doesn’t seem like it after you pulled the “it’s my opinion” card when I gave you my two cents.

I don't know what your issue is, I don't know what you are arguing it,. It seems to be " I don't like that you don't like the thing I like " , I don't have time for that, I'm going to end this

Try actually reading what I’m saying and not what you want it to look like I’m saying. You quoted that whole post, so I know you’ve either read it or just skimmed it and strawmanned the whole thing.

Because I can tell you right now, you’re completely off the mark here over what I was telling you as I don’t care if you don’t like the stuff I do. In fact, I know I’ve told you that more than once.

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Doesn’t seem like it after you pulled the “it’s my opinion” card when I gave you my two cents.

yes, because your two cents was explaining what an opinion was

to which i then said yes, it is infact my opinion

Try actually reading what I’m saying and not what you want it to look like I’m saying. You quoted that whole post, so I know you’ve either read it or just skimmed it and strawmanned the whole thing.

I did, you make little sense 

Because I can tell you right now, you’re completely off the mark here over what I was telling you as I don’t care if you don’t like the stuff I do. In fact, I know I’ve told you that more than once.

you say that , then you get upset at the concept of an opinion

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

yes, because your two cents was explaining what an opinion was

...no, that is not what it was. In fact, you were the one explaining what an opinion was, not me. I just told you I didn’t care if was one.

I did, you make little sense 

Then you didn’t actually read what I was telling you.

you say that , then you get upset at the concept of an opinion

Pretty sure it was less the opinion and more the petty potshot you made in it that I called you out for the first time around.

I'm sensing some tension here... can we get back to IDW Sonic instead of accusing each other? Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm sensing some tension here... can we get back to IDW Sonic instead of accusing each other? Thanks.

Alrighty, so do you think the first 12 issues or so will be Sonic running into old-friends?

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Alrighty, so do you think the first 12 issues or so will be Sonic running into old-friends?

I think it'll be just the first four.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think it'll be just the first four.

I mean Chaotix were confirmed for issue 5 as well.

11 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I mean Chaotix were confirmed for issue 5 as well.

Well, I think that it'll focus more on Sonic meeting his friends for the first four, going around the world and cleaning Eggman's shit. But Eggman's back on issue 5, so I think it'll more shift to Sonic vs. Eggman, focusing more on the many battles that they'll have.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, Kazhnuz said:

Well, actually, they already did it : in several arcs in reboot era, we could see a complete moon on Mobius, but in space a damaged one.

Now that you mention it..

image.png.697dd4a4471eec8f3f6fc8b91deecf76.png

image.png.ef897ad719d254fd5bb727315bdea408.png

image.png.004251fa8809c7da052ea5bc90b35353.png

Huh... 

• Nice Smile 1

You could excuse that for looking at other sides of the moon.

I always thought the damaged one was a nice touch of continuity that keep past game events in mind.

• Promotion 1

9 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

You could excuse that for looking at other sides of the moon.

I always thought the damaged one was a nice touch of continuity that keep past game events in mind.

We can only see one side of the moon from Earth. If they could see the moon half-destroyed from Sonic's World, they would always see it broken, forever.

image.png.9db467c4356315c3682069c4081528c4.png

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

But doesn’t the moon rotate as well?

It does, but it rotates at the same rate that it orbits the earth, so the same side is always facing us. Known as Tidal locking.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

We can only see one side of the moon from Earth. If they could see the moon half-destroyed from Sonic's World, they would always see it broken, forever.

image.png.9db467c4356315c3682069c4081528c4.png

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It does, but it rotates at the same rate that it orbits the earth, so the same side is always facing us. Known as Tidal locking.

You can throw that science right out the window. Tidal Locking only remains consistent so long both bodies remain at the same general mass, and the same rotational axis over a really long period of time. So in order for that to carry over to our new half-destroyed moon, you'd have to ignore the drastic 1/3 weight reduction on the celestial body. as well as any kinetic energy the Eclipse cannon carried with it to alter the orbit of the moon.

Common sense tells you that the moon is going to find a new orbit pattern.

While I don't have the astrological degree necessary to calculate the orbit of a non-spheroid suddenly unstable moon - it does appeal to sensibility to imagine the denser, more intact side being pulled into becoming the new "face" while the smoking crater hides in the dark side. In comic book logic, that's easily enough of an explanation to satisfy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You can throw that science right out the window. Tidal Locking only remains consistent so long both bodies remain at the same general mass, and the same rotational axis over a really long period of time. So in order for that to carry over to our new half-destroyed moon, you'd have to ignore the drastic 1/3 weight reduction on the celestial body. as well as any kinetic energy the Eclipse cannon carried with it to alter the orbit of the moon.

Common sense tells you that the moon is going to find a new orbit pattern.

While I don't have the astrological degree necessary to calculate the orbit of a non-spheroid suddenly unstable moon - it does appeal to sensibility to imagine the denser, more intact side being pulled into becoming the new "face" while the smoking crater hides in the dark side. In comic book logic, that's easily enough of an explanation to satisfy.

It doesn't change the fact that Iizuka made a poorly made up excuse just to have something to reply on that interview.

I do question mentioning Adventure Time as good example of "pacing". Without going into spoilers, character Susan Strong debuted in season 2 with a mystery, returned for one episode in season 3 and then wasn't touched until season 6. That's 4 years of waiting and her mystery still wasn't solved.

Personally I didn't mind but on the same principle as I didn't mind waiting for Eclipse.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I do question mentioning Adventure Time as good example of "pacing". Without going into spoilers, character Susan Strong debuted in season 2 with a mystery, returned for one episode in season 3 and then wasn't touched until season 6. That's 4 years of waiting and her mystery still wasn't solved.

Personally I didn't mind but on the same principle as I didn't mind waiting for Eclipse.

Wasn't that post about world building? AT is fine, but it's glacial "pacing" is a 2% milk and only tolerable to some.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I think the first year or so will be setting a tone and an atmosphere for the series and yes hopefully brining some characters back would be a awesome!. I believe Ian  said that there will be some proper story arc and world building later down the road. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, JC_Mike said:

Yes, hi, I'm the person that asked the two-worlds question on the bumblekast.

I really enjoyed having the mobians and humans all on one world because it gave me a sense of belonging in that world without having to create myself as some sonic oc, I could just be my normal self.

It also gave me a better understanding of the characters in a way. As someone who struggles with empathy due to Asberger's, its really hard for me to feel empathetic for something that exists on another world than the one I'm sort of used to. Basically I can't relate to anything if its on the other side of the wall than I am.

It's also rather odd that he would do this (and I'm saying he because remember Sega gave him more freedom to make this world) considering what's been going on in society in general. We're starting to call out those who ignore empathy and inclusion and are actively fighting for it. This feels like such a step back from the post-reboot, and I'll keep on fighting against the two-world canon.

Hey can you go on Bumblekast and ask whats shadow's role gonna be?